Testosterone supplementation after treatment for prostate cancer

artie
artie Member Posts: 60 Member

Comments

  • artie
    artie Member Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2018 #2
    testostorone after prostate cancer treatment

    Had prostate cancer which was successfukly treated with degaralix and radiation.Cancer is gone but testosterone is vey low 21/2 years after treatment.Oncologist suggested taking testoterone supplementation but urologist and endocrinologist believe that would be  like pouring gasoline on a fire and are dead set against it.Apparently this is a hot topic at the urology conferences.Has anybody had any experience or treatment with testosterone supplementation after treatment for protate cancer or knows how long it takes for testosterone to get back to normal levels after treatment,eg. 300.?

     

     

     

     

     

  • MK1965
    MK1965 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Clomiphene

    artie,

    i don’t know how old are you and if these would work for you but here is my experience:

    In January my testosterone was 217  after feeling crappy for about 6 months. All other values related to testosterone were below lower range. 

    I had also prostate Ca and RP in November of 2016. 

    Urologist put me on Clomiphene 50 mg every other day to boost endogenous production of testosterone. At the end of April, my testosterone was 602 and dose of Clomiphene was lowered to 25 mg every other day. I new it was working because I started feeling better, more energy, faster recovery after excercising, my endurance increased etc.

    Even bringing my testosterone to 600 level did not help in erectile functionality after RP which rendered me 100% impotent Even now 20+ months post RP.

    You might askyour urologist if this would be good try for you. I did not experienced any side effects of Clomiphene.

    MK

  • Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 767 Member
    Be cautious

    Hi,

    I would have to agree with your doctors, does not sound like a good idea to me.  Usually they give you testosterone lowering drugs to weaken the cancer.

    Dave 3+4

  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 934 Member
    Artie,

    What is your current T, how old are you and what problems do you currently have that may be related to your low T level?

     

    Regarding your other question, it may take quite some time after hormone therapy for T to get back to 'normal'. Age plays a role and some never get there. In this context, when was your last hormone shot and for how long were you on hormone therapy?

  • artie
    artie Member Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2018 #6
    testoterone supplementation

    77.Testosterone 28 .Had degaralix shots in Dec 2015.No more hot flashes.Have no dide effects except ED and belly fat..Biopsy and MRI confirm no cancer.Work out 4x week.

  • artie
    artie Member Posts: 60 Member
    MK1965 said:

    Clomiphene

    artie,

    i don’t know how old are you and if these would work for you but here is my experience:

    In January my testosterone was 217  after feeling crappy for about 6 months. All other values related to testosterone were below lower range. 

    I had also prostate Ca and RP in November of 2016. 

    Urologist put me on Clomiphene 50 mg every other day to boost endogenous production of testosterone. At the end of April, my testosterone was 602 and dose of Clomiphene was lowered to 25 mg every other day. I new it was working because I started feeling better, more energy, faster recovery after excercising, my endurance increased etc.

    Even bringing my testosterone to 600 level did not help in erectile functionality after RP which rendered me 100% impotent Even now 20+ months post RP.

    You might askyour urologist if this would be good try for you. I did not experienced any side effects of Clomiphene.

    MK

    My testoterone is 28 but feel

    My testoterone is 28 but feel good.

  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 934 Member
    artie said:

    testoterone supplementation

    77.Testosterone 28 .Had degaralix shots in Dec 2015.No more hot flashes.Have no dide effects except ED and belly fat..Biopsy and MRI confirm no cancer.Work out 4x week.

    OK, IMHO

    Because you report that you are feeling OK (great!), I wouldn't worry about your (low) T level. But I would advise you to get a DXA/DEXA scan to see how your bones (spine and hips) are holding up. Hormone therapy and low T interfere with the normal bone remodeling process.

    You are exercising regularly, which is excellent. Keep it up!

  • artie
    artie Member Posts: 60 Member
    Old Salt said:

    OK, IMHO

    Because you report that you are feeling OK (great!), I wouldn't worry about your (low) T level. But I would advise you to get a DXA/DEXA scan to see how your bones (spine and hips) are holding up. Hormone therapy and low T interfere with the normal bone remodeling process.

    You are exercising regularly, which is excellent. Keep it up!

    Osteopenia reveled on bone

    Osteopenia reveled on bone density.Endocrinologist did not put me on anything yet.Seeing him again in 8 months

  • artie
    artie Member Posts: 60 Member
    Old Salt said:

    OK, IMHO

    Because you report that you are feeling OK (great!), I wouldn't worry about your (low) T level. But I would advise you to get a DXA/DEXA scan to see how your bones (spine and hips) are holding up. Hormone therapy and low T interfere with the normal bone remodeling process.

    You are exercising regularly, which is excellent. Keep it up!

    Old Salt u r very

    Old Salt u r very knowledgable about this condition.Where did u gain this knowledge?Thx for your help and your kindness.Had I known about the problems that develop from the hormone deprivation treatment I may have opted for a deifferent treatment.Curing the disease putting you at high risk for other medical problems is not what I wanted or expected.I did raise my concern  before I had the treatment but was assured the problems would only arise from the long term use of the hormone treatment not from just the few months that I would be taking the 4 or 5 shots of degaralix.

  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 934 Member
    artie said:

    Old Salt u r very

    Old Salt u r very knowledgable about this condition.Where did u gain this knowledge?Thx for your help and your kindness.Had I known about the problems that develop from the hormone deprivation treatment I may have opted for a deifferent treatment.Curing the disease putting you at high risk for other medical problems is not what I wanted or expected.I did raise my concern  before I had the treatment but was assured the problems would only arise from the long term use of the hormone treatment not from just the few months that I would be taking the 4 or 5 shots of degaralix.

    I like science and

    My wife had osteoporosis. We both read up on the disease and possible treatments. About fifteen years later, after my prostate cancer diagnosis, I discovered that I had osteoporosis (in my spine) as well. At that point I tried to update myself.

    I hope that your exercise regimen will keep your bones from getting any worse and, more importantly, prevent fractures.

     

     

  • artie
    artie Member Posts: 60 Member
    MK1965 said:

    Clomiphene

    artie,

    i don’t know how old are you and if these would work for you but here is my experience:

    In January my testosterone was 217  after feeling crappy for about 6 months. All other values related to testosterone were below lower range. 

    I had also prostate Ca and RP in November of 2016. 

    Urologist put me on Clomiphene 50 mg every other day to boost endogenous production of testosterone. At the end of April, my testosterone was 602 and dose of Clomiphene was lowered to 25 mg every other day. I new it was working because I started feeling better, more energy, faster recovery after excercising, my endurance increased etc.

    Even bringing my testosterone to 600 level did not help in erectile functionality after RP which rendered me 100% impotent Even now 20+ months post RP.

    You might askyour urologist if this would be good try for you. I did not experienced any side effects of Clomiphene.

    MK

    Thx.I will explore.

    Thx.I will explore.

  • artie
    artie Member Posts: 60 Member
    Old Salt said:

    I like science and

    My wife had osteoporosis. We both read up on the disease and possible treatments. About fifteen years later, after my prostate cancer diagnosis, I discovered that I had osteoporosis (in my spine) as well. At that point I tried to update myself.

    I hope that your exercise regimen will keep your bones from getting any worse and, more importantly, prevent fractures.

     

     

    What did you do for your

    What did you do for your osteoporosis?

  • artie
    artie Member Posts: 60 Member
    artie said:

    What did you do for your

    What did you do for your osteoporosis?

    tetosterone

    Should u take testoterone supplementation if your testosterone levels remain low after taking degaralix and radiation 

     

  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,513 Member
    TRT

    Hi there,

    We have discussed here before on this subject but I can't find the thread. In any case, our body responds different to the hormones depending if these are endogenous (manufactured by the testis) or exogenous (injected testosterone). In some PCa patients the  injected testosterone doesn't influence the cancer at all, as seen from PSA levels.

    You might be interested in reading this link;

    https://csn.cancer.org/node/292304

    Some famous oncologists use estrogen patches to alleviate the hypogonadism symptoms in their ADT patients.

    Best,

    VG

     

  • Georges Calvez
    Georges Calvez Member Posts: 546 Member
    Degarelix and testosterone

    Hi there,

    That is an interesting question and one I may be able to offer you future guidance on! :-)
    I have finished a 19 month stint on the stuff and I am now sixty days into the recovery phase.
    I am over the irritability, the constipation, the nasty skin feelings, etc but I still have some night sweats, insomnia and leg pains.
    PSA tests on the 18th of December and 25th of March.
    I am hoping to test testosterone as well in March if I can get Pooh to sign the prescription.
    Then I will see Tigger the urologist at the beginning of April to make decisions for future treatment
    So watch this space! :-)

    Best wishes,

    Georges

  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 931 Member
    I was on Eligard for a year

    I was on Eligard for a year after radiation ended.  Eligard/hormone treatment, for me, was terrible.  If testostorone therapy is anything like Eligard, I would not want it.

    Two urolgists have told me that testostrone is like "gas on the fire" too.  And recommended I stay away from it.  

    Diet and weight management may be the best alternative to more hormones and/or other treatment.