Husband got staples out and kidney doctor started talking surgery for lymph nodes

Jeffris1
Jeffris1 Member Posts: 41

I am so mad. Husband just got the staples out today after 8 days, and kidney doctor said he has two lymph glands in his lower spine area that are slightly enlarged and we should schedule surgery to remove them. He is still healing, this is crazy. The oncologist follow up is not for another 2.5 weeks and he said no more surgery and we would start immunotherapy. These doctors are not talking to each other. He can't have another surgery, he is still healing from the radical removal of his kidney. Needless to say, he went and bought a pack of cigs and is drinking a beer and ready to give up.

We haven't even got the report on what type of cancer we are looking at yet.

 

Suggestions please.

Comments

  • Manufred
    Manufred Member Posts: 241
    edited June 2018 #2
    Hurry slowly

    These things do need to be dealt with, but not in any unseemly hurry.  I would run with the oncologist and give immunotherapy a go.  If hubby already has two mets, then some others might show up before long if you only go down the surgery path.  Copmbination Ipo/Nivo worked for me and seems to work for a quite few others, but not everyone unfortunately.

    Not sure about the smokes, but having a beer is a sign of resistance, not surrender.  At least that is what I think.

    Best wishes to both of you.

  • Jeffris1
    Jeffris1 Member Posts: 41
    Manufred said:

    Hurry slowly

    These things do need to be dealt with, but not in any unseemly hurry.  I would run with the oncologist and give immunotherapy a go.  If hubby already has two mets, then some others might show up before long if you only go down the surgery path.  Copmbination Ipo/Nivo worked for me and seems to work for a quite few others, but not everyone unfortunately.

    Not sure about the smokes, but having a beer is a sign of resistance, not surrender.  At least that is what I think.

    Best wishes to both of you.

    Yep, he is tryinng

    I agree, the beer is resistance, but the Cigs is surrender. 

  • Jeffris1
    Jeffris1 Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2018 #4
    He has a growth on his rib that is renal active by biopsy

    The way we found this whole thing is that he had a fast heartbeat, then they found a growth on his rib, which turns out to be renal active, so then we found the tumor on his kidney.  So it has been one thing after another.  But the oncologist is on vacation until the 9th, and the urologist want him into surgery now.  We want to try the immunotherpy.  Our "team" of doctors are not a "team" at all, and they seem only to be in it for the money.

  • Manufred
    Manufred Member Posts: 241
    Motives

    Not sure they are in it just for the money, but there is a clear divide between the razor gang and the druggies, and you like many others are caught in the middle.

    Shame these people also need holidays, but I still would wait for the oncologist to get back to work.  Three weeks is not that long as far as RCC goes.

    Ultimately, although the medicos have the qualifications and probably some useful experience and deserve respect for that, you should be the one in charge, so dont let yourself be snowballed into one option you are not really certain about.

    Keep up the good fight.

    Fred

  • Justinb40y
    Justinb40y Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2018 #6
    Change doctor

    Please see good oncologist.I feel both doctors do not humanity

    Do not get entangled in this situation.

    Change doctor immediately

     

  • Jeffris1
    Jeffris1 Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2018 #7
    We will wait oncologist, surgeons are nuts

    We talked to our neighbor who is a brain cancer nurse and she said wait for oncologist. Plus he cannot have more surgery until he is healed from first, which will be at least 6 weeks. We really need to get into the clinical trials.