CSN Login
Members Online: 14

You are here

Secondary Insurance

kyolcu
Posts: 99
Joined: Jun 2017

Hi Everyone, I wonder how people handling the situations  I have. I am 54 and getting SSN benefits and Medicare will be activated in August 1 2018. I am currently on my wife’s insurance through her employer. Medicare might be secondary to the current insurance but it will be worthless because current insurance covers 90% but Medicare 80%. If I cancel my wife’s insurance and activate Medicare then it is very expensive to buy secondary insurance because I am younger than 65. I will be responsible for 20% which is going to be a lot of money.

I am very confused I wonder if anybody has the same situation and how they handled it. Thank you so much for input.

Kadir

Kevin1224
Posts: 34
Joined: Jun 2018

I also am under my wife’s insurance and have Medicare as my secondary.  Keep it and don’t drop either one of them.  What the primary insurance does not cover, like co-pays Medicare will cover the rest.

 

Kevin

 

kyolcu
Posts: 99
Joined: Jun 2017

Hi Kevin, 

Thanks for information. If Aetna will be my primary which covers 90% until reached out of pocket maximum of $4000, do you think remaining 10% will be covered by secondary insurance Medicare. Do you think Medicare may also covers anything Aetna’ deductible of $4000. Does Medicare as secondary covers only your copays in your case, is it beneficial to keep Medicare because I have to pay $134x12.

Thanks

Kevin1224
Posts: 34
Joined: Jun 2018

I currently have BCBS, I have a 5k out of pocket expense until they cover it all.  What BCBS does not cover, Medicare will pick up the rest.  So I literally pay zero out of pocket on any of my visits, blood tests, and operations I have had in the past.  I understand it can be costly to keep both insurances, but in the end it balances out.  Also doctors like when you have both insurances because they know they will get paid.

 

Kevin

kyolcu
Posts: 99
Joined: Jun 2017

Thank you so much Kevin. With current insurance Aetna, I pay zero dollars(covered 100%) for anything after I met 4k, max out of pocket. I still could not get what Medicare will pay for after I met 4k. You pay 5k out of pocket as well and then I thought you are also will be covered 100%. Sorry it looks like sane question that I asked but want to know everything before I drop Medicare, I don’t want to make mistake.

Kadir

Kevin1224
Posts: 34
Joined: Jun 2018

Remember, you have to pay 4K before they pay 100 %.  If you have Medicare as the secondary they pay that portion that is not covered until your reach the 4k.  So it ends up being cheaper paying Medicare in the long run.

kyolcu
Posts: 99
Joined: Jun 2017

Hi Kevin,

Do you think secondary insurance , Medicare will cover 10% percent until I reach 4k deductiable ans in the end I will not pay 4k bot Medırare.

Thanks

Kadır

abrub's picture
abrub
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mar 2010

Keep both.

Lovekitties's picture
Lovekitties
Posts: 3283
Joined: Jan 2010

Definately keep both.  If your wife's insurance is thru an employer it is not a sure thing.  It could changed or be dropped for any number of reasons.  Getting Medicare benifits after giving them up may be very difficult and lengthy process.  Your premium for Medicare is very low, and should be well worth keeping.

kyolcu
Posts: 99
Joined: Jun 2017

Thank you all for hepful comments.

Kadır

Subscribe to Comments for "Secondary Insurance"