Stage IV with Met to Liver and Lungs next steps

Hey there CSN Family, 

My wife had to push her 3 treatment due to low counts. They will give her a shot 24 hours after this next treatment hoping that will allow her to continue the Chemo regimin. 

Currently, she is getting FULFOXIRI with Avastin, we elected to through everything at this. 

As for symptom management looking for any advice on upset stomach. We have some weed that we might try...thoughts? 

As for Cancer Centers we are going down to MD Anderson for a day of scans and treatment review plan, we are in Chicago. Any advice when meeting with MD Anderson? 

Also any other advice you can give would be helpful. 

Thanks CSN family. 

csuc02grad

Comments

  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,715 Member
    Sorry

    Sorry for what your wife is going through.  I'm not able to help you but a lot of people on this board has been through MD Anderson and maybe they will chime in.  The shots can do wonders to help her get through treatment.  It's hard when you take treatment and then have to take another drug just so you can take treatment, but it does help.  I've been there and if it wasn't for the shot, they wouldn't have done another treatment.  Hope that whatever she is on and with the shots will give her some good results.

    Kim

  • kyolcu
    kyolcu Member Posts: 111
    edited December 2017 #3
    Hello there,

    I have stage 4 colon cancer mets to liver and lungs and have been treated at MD Anderson for almost 2 years. It is a nice hospital and I believe it is a well-known hospital in the field. I am little lucky I live in Houston, no travel required. I had second opinion in different center as well, they did confirm same diagnosis as MD Anderson.

  • Csuc02grad
    Csuc02grad Member Posts: 6
    kyolcu said:

    Hello there,

    I have stage 4 colon cancer mets to liver and lungs and have been treated at MD Anderson for almost 2 years. It is a nice hospital and I believe it is a well-known hospital in the field. I am little lucky I live in Houston, no travel required. I had second opinion in different center as well, they did confirm same diagnosis as MD Anderson.

    Which drs are you with?

     Thanks for the insight. Do you feel confident in treatment plan?

     Do you mind telling me what you are getting?

     Did they give you any prognosis?

  • OzarkGal
    OzarkGal Member Posts: 41
    Upset Stomach

    My doctor prescribed Zofran for nausea. I take it as needed.  Ginger like in ginger tea or ginger snap cookies may help too.  As for non-prescription drugs, I recommend talking that over with the oncologist.  This is very important because drugs are usually processed by the liver.  With tumors in the liver and processsing the chemodrugs, the liver can be in a weakened state.

  • Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281
    Upset stomach - Chemo

    Having folfiri plus avastin.  Many times my stomach feels pretty awful after chemo. I know the irinotecan can do this.  Took ondansetron for 2 days, then I have metroclopromide for as needed med for nausea.  Also got fairly bad heartburn with the chemo.  Started taking 40 mg Pantolac and this helped.  I sucked on ginger chews when a bit nauseated and found that chewing peppermint gum helped with mild nausea, and drink ensure almost daily because weight was affected.  Wishing her well.

  • kyolcu
    kyolcu Member Posts: 111
    kyolcu said:

    Hello there,

    I have stage 4 colon cancer mets to liver and lungs and have been treated at MD Anderson for almost 2 years. It is a nice hospital and I believe it is a well-known hospital in the field. I am little lucky I live in Houston, no travel required. I had second opinion in different center as well, they did confirm same diagnosis as MD Anderson.

    Hello

    I had Avastin, Irinotecan and 5FU for almost 2 years, 22 months(total of 39 cycles of chemo). Because CEA started rising they changed it to Irinotecan and Cetuximab, I just got it last week. 

    I am generally happy with care team they update me of prognosis. 

  • PADAVE1
    PADAVE1 Member Posts: 10
    kyolcu said:

    Hello

    I had Avastin, Irinotecan and 5FU for almost 2 years, 22 months(total of 39 cycles of chemo). Because CEA started rising they changed it to Irinotecan and Cetuximab, I just got it last week. 

    I am generally happy with care team they update me of prognosis. 

    5FU switch

    Hi kyolcu - Curious - how did your CEA change for the initial ~2-years - did it fall - baseline and ultimately rise?  Did your "scans" act the same way?  TY - Dave

  • Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    Weed

    i live in MA, and can get medical marijuana.  This has been THE BEST thing I have done since getting a cancer diagnosis. Appetite, sleep and anxiety are all problems I have improved since smoking weed.  They have all kinds for different problems.  My biggest issue was sleep, now I sleep like a baby.  None of the prescribed pills (ambien) come close to nature’s marijuana.  If you don’t like to smoke, they have gummies, candy, all kinds of stuff.  Highly recommend it, and zero side effects, I wake up and go to work rested, no hangover. 

  • NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    On What Woody Said

    I was looking at CBD Oil in a local shop and tried to get some information on which to use. Unfortunately no one could really help.  (I have a recurrance and am doing everything I can, herbs, vitamins, exercise, etc. to see how long I can go before going back on chemo.)  Anyway, they did mention that the CBD will show up on blood tests in case I am working for the government or certain other places where they do such tests.  I am guessing there are exceptions or waivers in there somewhere based on the medicinal use.  

    If needed, I will ask about the program (I am in NY) and probably will go the gummies and candy route myself :)  

    Something that worked well for me when I was on chemo were ginger snaps.  Overall I did fairly well with nausea, but did not have a big appetite.  So would nibble on those throughout the day. It was usually the day of hook-up through disconnect where I was eating the least amount.  

     

  • Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    NewHere said:

    On What Woody Said

    I was looking at CBD Oil in a local shop and tried to get some information on which to use. Unfortunately no one could really help.  (I have a recurrance and am doing everything I can, herbs, vitamins, exercise, etc. to see how long I can go before going back on chemo.)  Anyway, they did mention that the CBD will show up on blood tests in case I am working for the government or certain other places where they do such tests.  I am guessing there are exceptions or waivers in there somewhere based on the medicinal use.  

    If needed, I will ask about the program (I am in NY) and probably will go the gummies and candy route myself :)  

    Something that worked well for me when I was on chemo were ginger snaps.  Overall I did fairly well with nausea, but did not have a big appetite.  So would nibble on those throughout the day. It was usually the day of hook-up through disconnect where I was eating the least amount.  

     

    It might be the ginger -

    It might be the ginger - though ginger in raw form is unpleasant. I went through a box of ginger snaps over the past three weeks. They were on sale at Whole Foods and I needed them for a trip.

  • NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    I Love Ginger In General

    Candies and the rest.  And ginger ale was a staple when growing up if I had an upset stomach.  I am using raw ginger in my herb mixture that I brew up.  I do nibble on a bit now and again.  It is strong for sure Laughing

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,623 Member
    NewHere said:

    I Love Ginger In General

    Candies and the rest.  And ginger ale was a staple when growing up if I had an upset stomach.  I am using raw ginger in my herb mixture that I brew up.  I do nibble on a bit now and again.  It is strong for sure Laughing

    Ginger is wonderful

    I grate fresh ginger into my plain whole milk yogurt and add fruit. Tastes Heavenly! 

    Should you change your name to OldHere?   Good to see you.

    Tru

  • NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Hey Back Off Tru

    Maybe SemiNewHere? LOL.  LaughingKiss

  • kyolcu
    kyolcu Member Posts: 111
    PADAVE1 said:

    5FU switch

    Hi kyolcu - Curious - how did your CEA change for the initial ~2-years - did it fall - baseline and ultimately rise?  Did your "scans" act the same way?  TY - Dave

    Sorry for late response, I just noticed your posting. I was initially diagnosed on 2-26-16, my CEA was 17000(seventeen thousand), and as of today it is 125. High CEA dropped very quickly after initial chemo regimen of Avastin, Irinotecan and 5FU.

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,623 Member
    NewHere said:

    Hey Back Off Tru

    Maybe SemiNewHere? LOL.  LaughingKiss

    OK, SemiNewHere sounds fine.

    And seeing I don't know how old you are, I can't call you old. 

    Tru