CSN Login
Members Online: 8

You are here

Large Complex Cystic Lesion, How Long Is Safe To Wait

Dan43
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 2017

Hi I am a 51 year old male, I had an ultra sound scan last week after six months of left flank pain and the radiologist's report says I have a large complex cystic lesion on my left kidney measuring 14.9 x 12.7 x 11.2cm with a large solid component measuring 2.4 x 6.5 x 2.8cm, the Radiologist has classed this as Bosniak lll/lV and says urgent specialist referral is required.

 

 

I have just received the referral letter after a very nervous week to find I will have to wait another seven weeks to be seen by the Urologist, is it safe to wait?

Thanks.

Steve.Adam's picture
Steve.Adam
Posts: 460
Joined: Oct 2016

I can't answer your question properly but if it was mine I would want it dealt with as soon as possible, for sure.

Maybe take a day off to phone around and try to get bumped up the list. If you have a phone number for he Urologist then use it. Maybe your case has already been evaluated and seven weeks is no problem. But it can't hurt to be a squeaky wheel and get that confirmed.

How bad is your pain? If it is bad enough to visit the hospital emergency dept. it should get someone's attention.

Where do you live?

Steve.

Jan4you's picture
Jan4you
Posts: 1326
Joined: Oct 2013

First of all, I am sorry for what you are going through. In my opinion, 7 weeks is too long to wait. I just have this feeling that the office staff did not know about your particular case enough to get your in sooner. I was "fit in" their schedule within days of receiving the referral from my Primary. They already suspected a "neoplasm" per radiology report. I also get copies of my reports to keep with me just in case any one involved in my case would not have the information.

My appointment was considered urgent and fit in at the end of the day. I could tell the whole staff in my Urologist's office HAD to stay. The Surgery was not for another month however. My 'neoplasm" was small, but suspcious for renal cancer.

I would make sure you speak to a triage RN in this urologist's office and see if they looked at the report. Who referred you to this Urologist? I would also make sure they knew you had to wait so long to see the Urologist. I bet they will get you in sooner. If not, then do not see this Urologist. Get another.

Keep us informed and know we'll be here for you all the way, as much as you need us to inform and support you!

Warmly, Jan

icemantoo's picture
icemantoo
Posts: 3286
Joined: Jan 2010

Dan,

 

The Urologist will no doubt order a CT as well. Do  what you have to do to get that as well as an earlier referral if possible.

 

 

Icemantoo

lobbyist0724's picture
lobbyist0724
Posts: 428
Joined: Sep 2016

I recall my doctor told me Bosniak lll/lV complex cyst should be removed if it is larger than 3cm. 7 weeks is a bit too long, I would called the Urologist to at least put youself in the waiting list if someone cancel their appointment or seek another Urologist for consultation. Also, they usually should be able to speed things up if it mentioned "URGENT" on your CT or othe imaging report.

Take care

Carmen

stub1969's picture
stub1969
Posts: 868
Joined: Jul 2016

Hi, Dan.  Welcome! 

I think you'll hear a clear pattern of advice on this situation from our members.  Although these things grow slowly, it's clear that the size of your mass is one to be dealt with sooner rather than later.  When my mass was found by my nephrologist, he made a referral to a local urologist.  He said their office would be getting back to me in about a week.  I wasn't going to wait, so when I got home I called another hospital (Mayo Clinic) and got an appointment and they fit me in right away.  Within the month I was having surgery.  I understand your emotions right now, which is why you should take the bull by the horns and see if you can get this process moving.

Blessings,

Stub

Dan43
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 2017

Hi thanks for the replys, from what I have read on the net I was expecting things to move quite quickly or at the least have someone talk to me about it quite soon, so will make a phone call today to follow up.

Thanks, Dan.

hardo718's picture
hardo718
Posts: 853
Joined: Jan 2016

I also was seen the day of discovery and mine was much smaller.  Didn't like that doctor AT ALL, so as soon as I left his office I called my primary and told her I wanted a second opinion with someone in another group.  The very next day I saw my second.  Believe me, they can & will get you in sooner, but you made need to get really proactive.

Best wishes, keep us posted,

Donna~

Subscribe to Comments for "Large Complex Cystic Lesion, How Long Is Safe To Wait"