Surgeon Recommendations Please

YR2014
YR2014 Member Posts: 13
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new here, I posted once quite some time ago and would like to thank everyone who took the time to view and/or respond to my inquiry, this has all been so confusing and depressing to me so I sort of disappeared from life for a while.

A short background: A year and a half ago I suddenly developed a horrible stabbing pain near my rib cage. I figured it was transient in nature and would pass. When it didn't I went to the doctor and requested an ultrasound of my abdomen which found a 1.5 x 1.2 cm septated cyst on the lower part of my kidney. The second ultrasound also classified it as a septated cyst.

Later I went to the local hospital to get a CT scan and the radiologists categorized it as a simple cyst, compounding my confusion.
I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and unfortunately there is not one doctor who is knowledgeable about my situation or who can help me, so I've been sitting on this problem for a while.

If anyone would be so kind as to post the name of their surgeon/doctor, I would be very grateful. Anywhere in the U.S. is fine, I'm willing to travel. Thank goodness for airline miles! I would like to find a knowledgeable doctor who can hopefully perform a partial nephrectomy, although I realize by reading others stories, a partial is not always possible.

Perhaps if enough people respond this could serve as a current directory for others who are looking for reviews from real people who have been through the procedure and would recommend their surgeon.

Thanks!
«1

Comments

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,359 Member
    Where are you.

    Yr2014,

     

    Perhaps if you let us know where we are we can give you some suggestions.

     

     

    Icemantoo

  • jason.2835
    jason.2835 Member Posts: 337 Member
    Philadelphia, PA

    YR,

    My surgeon was Dr. Costas Lallas, urologic surgeon at Jefferson University Hospital.  The guy knows his stuff.  He specializes in minimally invasive, robotic-assisted surgery.  I can tell you that my recovery was pretty easy, considering.  Had very little pain.  If you can find a surgeon wherever you are who also uses the DaVinci robot, grab the bullet.  

    - Jay

  • todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448
    Urologic Oncologist/Surgeon

    I'm happy to recommend my surgeon, Dr. Jaime Landman. He's head of the urology department at the University of California, Irvine, in Orange County, California. I was very happy with his surgical team.

    You can read about Dr. Landman here: http://www.kidneycancerinstitute.com/ Click on "About Dr. Landman"

    Todd

     

  • todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448
    todd121 said:

    Urologic Oncologist/Surgeon

    I'm happy to recommend my surgeon, Dr. Jaime Landman. He's head of the urology department at the University of California, Irvine, in Orange County, California. I was very happy with his surgical team.

    You can read about Dr. Landman here: http://www.kidneycancerinstitute.com/ Click on "About Dr. Landman"

    Todd

     

    Other surgeons

    I've also been very happy at the City of Hope. Look at the City of Hope website and find Dr. Clayton Lau. Also, a top notch surgeon doing minimally invasive kidney surgery.

    Todd

  • Nana4life
    Nana4life Member Posts: 78
    todd121 said:

    Urologic Oncologist/Surgeon

    I'm happy to recommend my surgeon, Dr. Jaime Landman. He's head of the urology department at the University of California, Irvine, in Orange County, California. I was very happy with his surgical team.

    You can read about Dr. Landman here: http://www.kidneycancerinstitute.com/ Click on "About Dr. Landman"

    Todd

     

    Dr.Landman

    I too went to Dr. Landman. He's great and extremely good at what he does. I am going for another opinion with a completely different university not because I didn't like Dr. Landman. I just want to know other opinions on my situation and how to best go forward with my situation now that I had this thing removed. But I would strongly agree that Dr. Landman and his team are great! Wherever you go be prepared before you go, make sure you have all tests and questions ahead of time. With large teaching hospitals they are extremely busy an getting quick appointments can be hard. I had to stay proactive with calling them and getting things done quickly. I'm a bit impatient. Good Luck to you this site helps tremendously.

  • todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448
    Nana4life said:

    Dr.Landman

    I too went to Dr. Landman. He's great and extremely good at what he does. I am going for another opinion with a completely different university not because I didn't like Dr. Landman. I just want to know other opinions on my situation and how to best go forward with my situation now that I had this thing removed. But I would strongly agree that Dr. Landman and his team are great! Wherever you go be prepared before you go, make sure you have all tests and questions ahead of time. With large teaching hospitals they are extremely busy an getting quick appointments can be hard. I had to stay proactive with calling them and getting things done quickly. I'm a bit impatient. Good Luck to you this site helps tremendously.

    After nephrectomy

    I did decide to move to a hospital with a medical oncologist for follow-up after Dr. Landman did my surgery. I think that's the prudent approach. For followup advice, I've seen Dr. Figlin at Cedars, Dr. Pal at City of Hope and Dr. Quinn at USC Keck School of Medicine. All are experienced RCC medical oncologists.

    I had no problem getting into Dr. Landman quickly when I explained my situation. He saw me the next week after my tumor was found and scheduled my surgery within a month. I did stay on top of his staff, though. He's a very busy guy and always came in with an entourage. Write all your questions down and take a friend with you if you see him.

    Todd

  • sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585
    San Diego, CA

    Dr. Ronald MacIntyre. 

    DaVinci Robotic Surgery. 

    I could not say enough good things about him. 

  • Mike99
    Mike99 Member Posts: 22
    Looking for a Doctor

    just last Thursday I had my Left Kidney removed by a Doctoer who is considered the best in the field. His name is Dr. Alex Kutikov an he is at Fox Chase Cancer Center. (Fox chase.org) his resume is listed on their website and he is highly qualified. I was comfortable with him and his star from my first appointment and do not worry about anything. He took a lot of time to explain every aspect of my treatment and gave my wife and I plenty of time to ask questions. He is a wonderful doctor as well as a wonderful person. He truly cared about my comfort, pain level, etc. I don't know where you live but i highly recommend him. Best of luck and I pray you will find peace with whomever you choose.

  • Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237
    Mike99 said:

    Looking for a Doctor

    just last Thursday I had my Left Kidney removed by a Doctoer who is considered the best in the field. His name is Dr. Alex Kutikov an he is at Fox Chase Cancer Center. (Fox chase.org) his resume is listed on their website and he is highly qualified. I was comfortable with him and his star from my first appointment and do not worry about anything. He took a lot of time to explain every aspect of my treatment and gave my wife and I plenty of time to ask questions. He is a wonderful doctor as well as a wonderful person. He truly cared about my comfort, pain level, etc. I don't know where you live but i highly recommend him. Best of luck and I pray you will find peace with whomever you choose.

    Dr Arif Hussain

    UMMC Baltimore. Skilled flexible pragmatic

  • YR2014
    YR2014 Member Posts: 13
    todd121 said:

    After nephrectomy

    I did decide to move to a hospital with a medical oncologist for follow-up after Dr. Landman did my surgery. I think that's the prudent approach. For followup advice, I've seen Dr. Figlin at Cedars, Dr. Pal at City of Hope and Dr. Quinn at USC Keck School of Medicine. All are experienced RCC medical oncologists.

    I had no problem getting into Dr. Landman quickly when I explained my situation. He saw me the next week after my tumor was found and scheduled my surgery within a month. I did stay on top of his staff, though. He's a very busy guy and always came in with an entourage. Write all your questions down and take a friend with you if you see him.

    Todd

    Thank you Todd for all the
    Thank you Todd for all the names you provided. I do have an appointment with Dr. Landman in the beginning of July for a consult. My tests are 7 months old so I keep calling to see if new tests can be done while I'm there.

    I can't get new tests in my neck of the woods, except maybe at the ER, and I'd hate to cancel, but I'm not sure he could tell me much about my current condition with tests as old as mine.

    I was under the (likely incorrect) belief that the surgeon ordered the tests, decided what should be done based upon his opinion of the test results i.e. surgery, wait, or medication, and then also did follow-up.

    Could you explain to me how it really works, or should work? I fear I'm doing everything wrong and feel completely lost. I also don't want to waste his time asking him to explain what is wrong with me if he only deals with the surgery aspect.

    None of my tests have been reviewed by anyone but myself and Google (not exactly an expert opinion) due to circumstances. I only have the radiologists interpretation. Should I be seeing a renal oncologist prior to seeing Dr. Landman?

    Thank you so much for any response!
  • YR2014
    YR2014 Member Posts: 13
    sblairc said:

    San Diego, CA

    Dr. Ronald MacIntyre. 

    DaVinci Robotic Surgery. 

    I could not say enough good things about him. 

    Thank you sblairc. I love
    Thank you sblairc. I love your avatar :-)
  • YR2014
    YR2014 Member Posts: 13

    Dr Arif Hussain

    UMMC Baltimore. Skilled flexible pragmatic

    Hello Footstomper, I've read
    Hello Footstomper, I've read some of your posts and you are one tough cookie, funny too, despite the situation. I hope to be the same way someday!
    Thank you for the recommendation.
  • YR2014
    YR2014 Member Posts: 13

    Philadelphia, PA

    YR,

    My surgeon was Dr. Costas Lallas, urologic surgeon at Jefferson University Hospital.  The guy knows his stuff.  He specializes in minimally invasive, robotic-assisted surgery.  I can tell you that my recovery was pretty easy, considering.  Had very little pain.  If you can find a surgeon wherever you are who also uses the DaVinci robot, grab the bullet.  

    - Jay

    Thank you jason.2835 (Jay),
    Thank you jason.2835 (Jay), glad to hear your recovery was smooth sailing and thank your for the surgeon recommendation and your vote for the DaVinci robot.

    I have a very low pain threshold so minimally invasive sounds right up my alley.
  • YR2014
    YR2014 Member Posts: 13
    Mike99 said:

    Looking for a Doctor

    just last Thursday I had my Left Kidney removed by a Doctoer who is considered the best in the field. His name is Dr. Alex Kutikov an he is at Fox Chase Cancer Center. (Fox chase.org) his resume is listed on their website and he is highly qualified. I was comfortable with him and his star from my first appointment and do not worry about anything. He took a lot of time to explain every aspect of my treatment and gave my wife and I plenty of time to ask questions. He is a wonderful doctor as well as a wonderful person. He truly cared about my comfort, pain level, etc. I don't know where you live but i highly recommend him. Best of luck and I pray you will find peace with whomever you choose.

    Hello Mike 99,
    Hello Mike 99, congratulations on your recent successful surgery!

    This was supposed to be underneath a different post, well Mike 99 I hope you see this.

    I looked Dr. Kutikov up and it seems he is skilled in many different approaches to kidney surgery, which is always a plus since sometimes the doctor may need to change game plans once inside.

    I'm on the west coast, but will travel where necessary to find the right doctor for me.

    I'm often scared to the point of experiencing panic attacks so a doctor with a comforting and confident attitude will definitely help to calm my nerves.

    Thank you for your recommendation and detailed report on how your appointments and surgery went. I pray you have a speedy recovery, take care!
  • APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    YR2014 said:

    Hello Mike 99,
    Hello Mike 99, congratulations on your recent successful surgery!

    This was supposed to be underneath a different post, well Mike 99 I hope you see this.

    I looked Dr. Kutikov up and it seems he is skilled in many different approaches to kidney surgery, which is always a plus since sometimes the doctor may need to change game plans once inside.

    I'm on the west coast, but will travel where necessary to find the right doctor for me.

    I'm often scared to the point of experiencing panic attacks so a doctor with a comforting and confident attitude will definitely help to calm my nerves.

    Thank you for your recommendation and detailed report on how your appointments and surgery went. I pray you have a speedy recovery, take care!

    I whole-heartedly recommend

    I whole-heartedly recommend Dr. Paul Russo at Sloan Kettering in NY. He's a urologic oncologist who specializes in partial nephrectomies. You can watch him talk on Youtube, etc. He's very well know. He saved 85 percent on my kidney and while the surgery was not a picnic it went very well. I'm so glad I had him.

  • a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    APny said:

    I whole-heartedly recommend

    I whole-heartedly recommend Dr. Paul Russo at Sloan Kettering in NY. He's a urologic oncologist who specializes in partial nephrectomies. You can watch him talk on Youtube, etc. He's very well know. He saved 85 percent on my kidney and while the surgery was not a picnic it went very well. I'm so glad I had him.

    What am I missing here?  

    What am I missing here?   Doesn't YR just need to see a good urologist, or nephrologist?   YR has a very small septated cyst that hasn't changed in a year and a half?   I'm confused.

  • YR2014
    YR2014 Member Posts: 13
    Nana4life said:

    Dr.Landman

    I too went to Dr. Landman. He's great and extremely good at what he does. I am going for another opinion with a completely different university not because I didn't like Dr. Landman. I just want to know other opinions on my situation and how to best go forward with my situation now that I had this thing removed. But I would strongly agree that Dr. Landman and his team are great! Wherever you go be prepared before you go, make sure you have all tests and questions ahead of time. With large teaching hospitals they are extremely busy an getting quick appointments can be hard. I had to stay proactive with calling them and getting things done quickly. I'm a bit impatient. Good Luck to you this site helps tremendously.

    Hello Nana4life,
    Thank you

    Hello Nana4life,

    Thank you for the second vote for Dr. Landman. Luckily I have an appointment in early July with him.

    I think it is wise to get more than one opinion. As educated/intelligent as the doctor(s) may be, they are only human and could miss something that perhaps another doctor catches. I've also noticed different doctors can have very different opinions on the same issue. Then it becomes the patients responsibility to decide on the best course of action from the options presented. What I've learned is to trust my intuition.

    My tests are 7 months old so I asked if I could be tested there, hopefully I'll hear back on Monday from his nurse.

    If you feel okay with sharing could you tell me what kind of tests he would expect me to have? There aren't any doctors familiar with this issue within 300 miles of my locale, so I have to go to the ER or a walk-in clinic, request a specific test and hope they'll oblige. Occasionally they will.

    Thank you and good luck to you as well!
  • YR2014
    YR2014 Member Posts: 13
    icemantoo said:

    Where are you.

    Yr2014,

     

    Perhaps if you let us know where we are we can give you some suggestions.

     

     

    Icemantoo

    Hello icemantoo, I'm on the
    Hello icemantoo, I'm on the west coast. However, I'm willing to travel.

    Thanks,

    YR2014
  • YR2014
    YR2014 Member Posts: 13
    APny said:

    I whole-heartedly recommend

    I whole-heartedly recommend Dr. Paul Russo at Sloan Kettering in NY. He's a urologic oncologist who specializes in partial nephrectomies. You can watch him talk on Youtube, etc. He's very well know. He saved 85 percent on my kidney and while the surgery was not a picnic it went very well. I'm so glad I had him.

    Hello APny,
    Dr. Russo was the

    Hello APny,

    Dr. Russo was the first surgeon I discovered over a year ago through a Google search which actually linked me to this site. I'd love to see him, especially since he focuses on partial nephrectomies like you stated. Thank you for sharing your story about your surgery. That is so great that he was able to save almost your entire kidney. Wonderful news and congratulations!

    Would you mind sharing how long ago you had your surgery and how long recovery took? If I recall correctly, he uses the open approach which can have a longer healing period, but it seems he is able to get a better look at the kidney using that method.

    Thank you.
  • YR2014
    YR2014 Member Posts: 13
    a_oaklee said:

    What am I missing here?  

    What am I missing here?   Doesn't YR just need to see a good urologist, or nephrologist?   YR has a very small septated cyst that hasn't changed in a year and a half?   I'm confused.

    Hello a_oaklee,
    I was

    Hello a_oaklee,

    I was referred to a nephrologist, but told that he doesn't deal with anything other than kidney function issues and that my complex septated cyst was not a function issue.

    I then tried a urologist and was declined as well despite my referral, no reason given. No other nephrologists or urologists in the area.

    I'm not sure who to see and the line for me is blurred between urologist, urologic oncologist, and a renal surgeon who may or may not also be a urologic oncologist???

    So I figured I should seek out a surgeon, perhaps he can tell me what is going on and what he recommends.

    I did read that a complex septated cyst could be cancerous, and I haven't been able to speak with a specialist to class mine or get any info for that matter.

    I do hope my issue is minor, as does everyone who has a growth found that shouldn't be there. I must say it causes wicked pain 24/7, perhaps it is the location rather than size???