carrot juice

angelsnls
angelsnls Member Posts: 67

Hi all sorry I haven't been on here for a while been in hospital for suspected blood clots in lungs and pains in chest, got home last week and have been reading about carrot juice and it supposedly helping cancer sufferers, as you know I have stage iv RCC with multiple lung mets and am taking 800mg of pazopanib. I bought a 750ml bottle of organic carrot juice from a local health store and I drank two glasses (250ml) yesterday and one today I have suffered from stomach pains this morning and I was wondering if anyone has had anything similar happen,  do you think I should carry on with the carrot juice or is it my stomach saying stop this is to much?

Hope you are all feeling well

Lot of love angela x

Comments

  • danbren2
    danbren2 Member Posts: 311
    Say No to pain!

    Hi,

         I have never tried the carrott juice, but I would definately stop anything that I believed was causing me pain! If you feel the carrott juice may be the problem, stop it for a couple of days and see what happens. I hope you feel better soon!

                                       Prayers for good health!

                                        Brenda

  • donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,023 Member
    danbren2 said:

    Say No to pain!

    Hi,

         I have never tried the carrott juice, but I would definately stop anything that I believed was causing me pain! If you feel the carrott juice may be the problem, stop it for a couple of days and see what happens. I hope you feel better soon!

                                       Prayers for good health!

                                        Brenda

    Even rabbits eat a variety of foods

    A drastic change to an all juice "diet" can be enough to cause a change in total digestion...stomach, small and large intestines.  There is really no roughage to slow things down.  Then there is the side effect of too much orange beta-carotene, which is absorbed by all cells and will make you look like you have a poor fake bottle tan that turned orange; and the whites of your eyes can get orangish.

    Some how, being orange and having a gut ache and diarrhea is a poor trade off.

    I know you are trying to do what you can to retard the cancer, but I suggest there may be a more effective balance food plan out there that will help you.

    Hugs,

    Donna...and yes I had Stage IV RCC with mets to nodes and liver.

  • angelsnls
    angelsnls Member Posts: 67
    donna_lee said:

    Even rabbits eat a variety of foods

    A drastic change to an all juice "diet" can be enough to cause a change in total digestion...stomach, small and large intestines.  There is really no roughage to slow things down.  Then there is the side effect of too much orange beta-carotene, which is absorbed by all cells and will make you look like you have a poor fake bottle tan that turned orange; and the whites of your eyes can get orangish.

    Some how, being orange and having a gut ache and diarrhea is a poor trade off.

    I know you are trying to do what you can to retard the cancer, but I suggest there may be a more effective balance food plan out there that will help you.

    Hugs,

    Donna...and yes I had Stage IV RCC with mets to nodes and liver.

    Thank you danbren2 and

    Thank you danbren2 and donna-lee just to clarify I added the juice to my other foods, have spoken to macmillan nurses and you are right, the carrot juice was to much for my stomach to cope with theyvalso recommended giving my stomach a few days to settle and then start to add small amounts of freshly juiced fruit /veg and dont try to change everything at once my body won't like it. I didn't think changing my eating habits would be so difficult. 

    Love to everyone x

  • APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    angelsnls said:

    Thank you danbren2 and

    Thank you danbren2 and donna-lee just to clarify I added the juice to my other foods, have spoken to macmillan nurses and you are right, the carrot juice was to much for my stomach to cope with theyvalso recommended giving my stomach a few days to settle and then start to add small amounts of freshly juiced fruit /veg and dont try to change everything at once my body won't like it. I didn't think changing my eating habits would be so difficult. 

    Love to everyone x

    Donna is so right.

    Donna is so right. Interestingly, there was a whole article on juicing in my newspaper today (Newsday). They said chewing starts digestive juices flowing and prepares your stomach and intestines for food, aiding digestion and absorption of food and nutrition. But drinking doesn't allow for that. So yes, that would affect your digestion and it's not surprising you had a stomach ache. Plus that was just way too much juice, IMO, and absolutely no fiber.  If you can, read the article. Maybe you can find it online. It's in part 2 of today's Newsday.

  • angelsnls
    angelsnls Member Posts: 67
    APny said:

    Donna is so right.

    Donna is so right. Interestingly, there was a whole article on juicing in my newspaper today (Newsday). They said chewing starts digestive juices flowing and prepares your stomach and intestines for food, aiding digestion and absorption of food and nutrition. But drinking doesn't allow for that. So yes, that would affect your digestion and it's not surprising you had a stomach ache. Plus that was just way too much juice, IMO, and absolutely no fiber.  If you can, read the article. Maybe you can find it online. It's in part 2 of today's Newsday.

    Hi APny I live in the

    Hi APny I live in the northern Isles in Scotland and couldn't find the newspaper article,not to worry, I went to see doc yesterday and he said that he thought my stomach ache was stomach inflammation so he upped my omeprazole to 2 a day and gave me a bottle of gaviscon to take when necessary. I see onc on Friday for results of 2nd ct scan since starting pazopanib so will tell him about my stomach issues, really nervous about this results as the last one showed shrinkage of lung mets but recurrence on the kidney bed am hoping this is now shrinking also or at least not growing as it is seemingly very near the IVC which I am thinking cannot be a good thing as its a major vein. Will post when I get home again on Sunday as am having a two night break in Aberdeen seeing as we have to fly there anyway for results.

    Love to everyone x

  • Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    angelsnls said:

    Hi APny I live in the

    Hi APny I live in the northern Isles in Scotland and couldn't find the newspaper article,not to worry, I went to see doc yesterday and he said that he thought my stomach ache was stomach inflammation so he upped my omeprazole to 2 a day and gave me a bottle of gaviscon to take when necessary. I see onc on Friday for results of 2nd ct scan since starting pazopanib so will tell him about my stomach issues, really nervous about this results as the last one showed shrinkage of lung mets but recurrence on the kidney bed am hoping this is now shrinking also or at least not growing as it is seemingly very near the IVC which I am thinking cannot be a good thing as its a major vein. Will post when I get home again on Sunday as am having a two night break in Aberdeen seeing as we have to fly there anyway for results.

    Love to everyone x

    Hello!
    First of all, I want

    Hello!

    First of all, I want to say, I am sorry for all you are enduring. May you know relief soon.

    Not sure about Scotland, but here, I have this amazing specialized nutritionist, not a ditetician who has an amazing evaluation process that is customized for you exactly. He uses "whole foods" not over the counter supplements where you don't know the dosage or safety of each product.

    He uses NRT=Nutritional Response Testing or ART which is Autonomic response testing. Perhaps, if you do a search you can see whether you have anyone who practices using that method. Sometimes Chiropractors are also trained in ART/NRT. They can not only tell you what your body needs, but the EXACT amount, in a specified time frame. When is the last time anyone ordered any kind of treatment product that could tell you the exact amt or length of time?

    Also, if you need, say 3-4 nutritional products (whole foods) but your body reads say even that is too much at once, he'll adjust that combination to suit you even more specifically. All I know it saved my life and got me back to work following a slew of diagnoses I received. It worked for me and it helped too with side effects of other meds. It doesn't interfere with meds, as it is whole foods, organically grown.

    Sadly, the medical training for doctors here in USA  lacks any nutritional education.

    Hopefully you'll find someone who can help you there.

    Best to you and yours.. I will be following your progress.

    Warmly, Jan

  • angelsnls
    angelsnls Member Posts: 67
    Jan4you said:

    Hello!
    First of all, I want

    Hello!

    First of all, I want to say, I am sorry for all you are enduring. May you know relief soon.

    Not sure about Scotland, but here, I have this amazing specialized nutritionist, not a ditetician who has an amazing evaluation process that is customized for you exactly. He uses "whole foods" not over the counter supplements where you don't know the dosage or safety of each product.

    He uses NRT=Nutritional Response Testing or ART which is Autonomic response testing. Perhaps, if you do a search you can see whether you have anyone who practices using that method. Sometimes Chiropractors are also trained in ART/NRT. They can not only tell you what your body needs, but the EXACT amount, in a specified time frame. When is the last time anyone ordered any kind of treatment product that could tell you the exact amt or length of time?

    Also, if you need, say 3-4 nutritional products (whole foods) but your body reads say even that is too much at once, he'll adjust that combination to suit you even more specifically. All I know it saved my life and got me back to work following a slew of diagnoses I received. It worked for me and it helped too with side effects of other meds. It doesn't interfere with meds, as it is whole foods, organically grown.

    Sadly, the medical training for doctors here in USA  lacks any nutritional education.

    Hopefully you'll find someone who can help you there.

    Best to you and yours.. I will be following your progress.

    Warmly, Jan

    Thank you Jan I will look

    Thank you Jan I will look into that and thanks for your best wishes, 

    Love to you and yours xx

  • Ed Brabant
    Ed Brabant Member Posts: 61
    Carrots

    For years I can't eat raw carrots without stomach pain. 20 years befoe my cancer. My doctor back then said it was the Beta-carotene in the raw carrots that is causing my pain. 

  • APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member

    Carrots

    For years I can't eat raw carrots without stomach pain. 20 years befoe my cancer. My doctor back then said it was the Beta-carotene in the raw carrots that is causing my pain. 

    Angelsnls, I hope your scan

    Angelsnls, I hope your scan results will show shrinkage. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

  • Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945
    angelsnls said:

    Hi APny I live in the

    Hi APny I live in the northern Isles in Scotland and couldn't find the newspaper article,not to worry, I went to see doc yesterday and he said that he thought my stomach ache was stomach inflammation so he upped my omeprazole to 2 a day and gave me a bottle of gaviscon to take when necessary. I see onc on Friday for results of 2nd ct scan since starting pazopanib so will tell him about my stomach issues, really nervous about this results as the last one showed shrinkage of lung mets but recurrence on the kidney bed am hoping this is now shrinking also or at least not growing as it is seemingly very near the IVC which I am thinking cannot be a good thing as its a major vein. Will post when I get home again on Sunday as am having a two night break in Aberdeen seeing as we have to fly there anyway for results.

    Love to everyone x

    Scan!

    Hi Angel,

    I hope the scan went well today and the trip to the hospital was straightforward, I know the weather has been pretty bad in places. I also get an irritated stomach from Votrient, I have started to take a supplement before I eat, it was suggested I take the Votrient before bed and that seems to help.

    I juice veg every day, mine is a press so I take alot of the pulp and use it in stir fry or omelettes Or something. I started with 1/2 a glass of carrot juice or mixed it with beetroot or apple. Gradually build up don't juice cruiciferous veg too often though if at all because they effect your thyroid, that's under enough pressure already. 

    We have had no snow here in Brittany, it's bloody cold though and it keeps threatening a flurry but so far so good. Just as well because we have had to shut the wood burner down, my lungs can't handle it. Such a nuisance!

  • angelsnls
    angelsnls Member Posts: 67
    APny said:

    Angelsnls, I hope your scan

    Angelsnls, I hope your scan results will show shrinkage. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    Thank you for your wishes

    Thank you for your wishes guys, I just got home today took a couple of nights away with hubby, results showed slight growth in lung mets along with a couple of new ones (tiny), plan for now is to stay on the pazopanib to give it till next scan to see if any change.(Gutted) 

    Does anyone know if omeprazole affects absorption of pazopanib in the stomach, as I used to take this first thing in the morning but change to taking it at night with the pazopanib, (only change made) I had shrinkage at first scan and slight growth at second scan, I have changed this back to mornings just in case.

    Lots of love x

  • Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945
    angelsnls said:

    Thank you for your wishes

    Thank you for your wishes guys, I just got home today took a couple of nights away with hubby, results showed slight growth in lung mets along with a couple of new ones (tiny), plan for now is to stay on the pazopanib to give it till next scan to see if any change.(Gutted) 

    Does anyone know if omeprazole affects absorption of pazopanib in the stomach, as I used to take this first thing in the morning but change to taking it at night with the pazopanib, (only change made) I had shrinkage at first scan and slight growth at second scan, I have changed this back to mornings just in case.

    Lots of love x

    Hi, I am sorry to hear your results, I know how disappointing that is, I had the same disappointment a couple of times. Don't lose heart.

    About your reflux meds I think it wise to check with your doctor, if it's coating your stomach it could be effecting absorption. I was taking I.Nexium for some weeks, I got them from my regular doctor. I mentioned it to my Oncologist in passing, she hit the roof because it would effect my treatment dose. Anyway it turns out that I can take only at the same time as the Votrient.

     

    Djinnie x

  • Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Djinnie said:

    Hi, I am sorry to hear your results, I know how disappointing that is, I had the same disappointment a couple of times. Don't lose heart.

    About your reflux meds I think it wise to check with your doctor, if it's coating your stomach it could be effecting absorption. I was taking I.Nexium for some weeks, I got them from my regular doctor. I mentioned it to my Oncologist in passing, she hit the roof because it would effect my treatment dose. Anyway it turns out that I can take only at the same time as the Votrient.

     

    Djinnie x

    Sorry to hear of your

    Sorry to hear of your results.  I know it can be a jolt.

    But know WE care and will be here for you!

    Just wanted to send you a warm, hug my dear!

    Warmly, Jan

  • angelsnls
    angelsnls Member Posts: 67
    Jan4you said:

    Sorry to hear of your

    Sorry to hear of your results.  I know it can be a jolt.

    But know WE care and will be here for you!

    Just wanted to send you a warm, hug my dear!

    Warmly, Jan

    Thank you Djinnie I am going

    Thank you Djinnie I am going to stop taking omeprazole as I googled interactions between omeprazole and pazopanib and it came back that it does affect the absorption. Thank you Jan for the warm hug it is much appreciated.  

    Lots of love to everyone x

  • angelsnls
    angelsnls Member Posts: 67
    angelsnls said:

    Thank you Djinnie I am going

    Thank you Djinnie I am going to stop taking omeprazole as I googled interactions between omeprazole and pazopanib and it came back that it does affect the absorption. Thank you Jan for the warm hug it is much appreciated.  

    Lots of love to everyone x

    update

    I stopped the omeprazole last weekend and I have started getting side effects again (headache when waking up, nausea, red hands, sore mouth, etc) I am assuming that this is the pazopanib actually working better, hopefully next scan will show shrinkage. I checked with the local pharmacist and he told me that omeprazole hinders the absorption of pazopanib in the stomach, because it alters the acid build up or something like that. I saw macmillan nurses on Thursday and I told them my theory, they didn't seem happy to begin with that I had stopped taking omeprazole, but once I explained why they said they would let my gp and oncologist know, I was also speaking to them about my latest scan results (posted under ct scan results) they said that they would call this results stable, I just realised that this scan was done on the scanner in Aberdeen whilst all my others have been done here in lerwick, shetland (same radiologist reads them as all scans here in shetland have to go to aberdeen as there is no radiologist here to read them). I got a copy of the results and there are no measurements on them like the other ones, I do remember the oncologist saying that he asked the radiologist to make a comparison with the other one. 

    Sorry just writing things down seems to bring more questions,  I might email oncologist for comparison 

    Take care everyone Lots of love 

    Angela