Cancer patients, overweight or fit?

foroughsh
foroughsh Member Posts: 779
edited January 2015 in Kidney Cancer #1

Some of my friends who are experienced  with cancer, keep telling me I should gain weight and be a little overweight so in case of any possible needed treatment my body has the strength and power. I'm not sure if that's true in general and especially in RCC. I'm fit and go to gym as a routine. Do you have any information or recommendation?

Forough

Comments

  • Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    I think eating well and being

    I think eating well and being physically fit is the best thing you can do for your kidney and body. I don't think you should be putting undue stress on your body at this point...the chances you will need treatment are on the lower end of the scale, judging from your bio. This is just my opinion...not really backed by any data!! :)

    Hugs

    Jojo

  • Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237
    Fitness

    I'm a bit further down the road than you, my overwhelming problem at stage four and after treatment is my lack of fitness so I suspect that getting as fit as possible has got to be a good idea.

  • foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779
    So loosing weight isn't one

    So loosing weight isn't one of side effects of drugs for rcc Mets' treatment?

  • Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945
    foroughsh said:

    So loosing weight isn't one

    So loosing weight isn't one of side effects of drugs for rcc Mets' treatment?

    .Losing Weight!

    Hi foroughsh, 

    We tend to react to the drugs differently, after the initial loss of body mass and muscle tone from the mets, I hoped things would improve whilst on the Votrient. However for me it suppresses my appetite, also suffering the side effects of nausea and stomach issues doesn't help, I am constantly dropping the odd pound. I stick to a healthy diet to keep my energy levels as high as possible under the circumstances. Exercise became more difficult as things progressed so I took up Qigong instead just to keep things ticking over. 

    I don't feel that you have to worry, you are eating right and exercising, you are doing all the right things. Putting weight on is not the answer, keeping your immune system strong along with reducing stress is the answer. Try not to keep worrying about the what if's:)

     

    Djinnie x

  • Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237
    Djinnie said:

    .Losing Weight!

    Hi foroughsh, 

    We tend to react to the drugs differently, after the initial loss of body mass and muscle tone from the mets, I hoped things would improve whilst on the Votrient. However for me it suppresses my appetite, also suffering the side effects of nausea and stomach issues doesn't help, I am constantly dropping the odd pound. I stick to a healthy diet to keep my energy levels as high as possible under the circumstances. Exercise became more difficult as things progressed so I took up Qigong instead just to keep things ticking over. 

    I don't feel that you have to worry, you are eating right and exercising, you are doing all the right things. Putting weight on is not the answer, keeping your immune system strong along with reducing stress is the answer. Try not to keep worrying about the what if's:)

     

    Djinnie x

    losing weight? If only

    I had IL2 treatment which went a bit awry, which meant a long course of steroids. My weight went from 180 to 220 lbs. Now working hard to try and get it off!

    I think Djinnies right, eating right and exercize sounds like a good idea, but above all else I wouldnt worry about it too much.

  • thaxter
    thaxter Member Posts: 124
    Roller coaster weight

    Before my diagnosis in July 2013 I had lost about 40 lbs and had no appetite for months. After the nephrectomy I was down to 180 from my 2011 weight of 240. Gained some weight in the next six months and put on 25 lbs during IL2 which I lost in days. I lost 20 lbs in the first two months on Votrient and now seem to have leveled off at 210. I have several size pants in the closet

  • Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237
    thaxter said:

    Roller coaster weight

    Before my diagnosis in July 2013 I had lost about 40 lbs and had no appetite for months. After the nephrectomy I was down to 180 from my 2011 weight of 240. Gained some weight in the next six months and put on 25 lbs during IL2 which I lost in days. I lost 20 lbs in the first two months on Votrient and now seem to have leveled off at 210. I have several size pants in the closet

    Pants

    Definately one of the greater problems of the whole caboodle! I got fat and didnt even lose (any more) of my hair. So no cancer sympathy vote for me!

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181

    Pants

    Definately one of the greater problems of the whole caboodle! I got fat and didnt even lose (any more) of my hair. So no cancer sympathy vote for me!

    fit or what?

    I've been a jock my whole life. I have weight trained and run for nearly 50 years.  Around 12 years ago, me and some others decided to push our fitness level abit. The goal was to be in the best shape of our lives when we died. What began as a joke was no longer funny. After a good days workout and run, I told my wife that I was feeling like I was in my thirties again. Hours later I was passing blood and was rolled up in a ball with pain. Nephrectomy 2 days later. So fitness doesn't keep renal cancer away. In fact there has been little to blame our cancer on. We all know that obesity and smoking, and diabetes aren't good luck charms but there has been no relationship with direct cause. That is why I recommend pizza and beer as an important food group. After 4 years as a renal cancer patient, (and I'll be one for the rest of my life), I see no reason to change how I live. However staying very fit is what allowed me to be eligible for the Il-2 treatments.

  • Skagway Jack
    Skagway Jack Member Posts: 224
    Fitness

    I was 208lbs when diagnosed....over the course of the first year after my nephrectomy I gained too much weight and hit a hit a high of about 226.  I can not think of anything good from this, so I am now determined to get below 200 lbs again.   A strong heart and cardiovasular system must be of more value than carrying extra pounds to replace lost caloric intake during treatments.  Fortunately, for me it I have not had to continue treatments....still NED.  I do agree with Fox though....occasional Pizza and beer is good for the spirit and has morale value!

  • cubsfan9
    cubsfan9 Member Posts: 69 Member
    Weight issues

    Good Morning!

    My husband has been on Sutent for two years and has gained some weight.  He has been fortunate in that he has not experienced nausea and has obviously not lost his appetite!!  His tase is off and he gets a sore mouth, but still manages to eat.  He exercises regularly (45 minute walk or bike ride nearly every day, golf), but probably not as intensely as he used to.  Food is how he/we deal with stress.  His oncologist has not had a problem with his 10-15 pound weight gain, but the cardiologist isn't happy.  So...he is working at losing a few.  It's never easy, is it?!!

  • saintmont
    saintmont Member Posts: 63
    overweight or fit

    Hi, I think if you are fit there is nothing wrong with being a lit overweight. I do weights 3 times a week, walk most days and play golf. I also work full-time. At the momement I am on holidays playing lots of golf and painting a room( I hate painting). I am on sutent at the momement. Generally I eat well, but I dont deprieve my self of anything either if I want chocolate I eat it. I do watch some food like meat, grains which I limit. I still do everything I was doing before this rcc( I am stage 4) came a long.

  • Fitness

    I was 208lbs when diagnosed....over the course of the first year after my nephrectomy I gained too much weight and hit a hit a high of about 226.  I can not think of anything good from this, so I am now determined to get below 200 lbs again.   A strong heart and cardiovasular system must be of more value than carrying extra pounds to replace lost caloric intake during treatments.  Fortunately, for me it I have not had to continue treatments....still NED.  I do agree with Fox though....occasional Pizza and beer is good for the spirit and has morale value!

    I have almost the exact same

    I have almost the exact same situation.  210 or so prior to surgery.  Walked a lot after the surgery and was down to 205.  I pushed up to 217 recently, and I did not overeat during the holidays.  Recently made major adjustments to my diet and exercise, and I am determined to get to at least 190, with a goal of 175. 

  • sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585
    Being over weight is a risk factor for cancer. Build muscle mass

    Hi, I think what your friends have tried to express is that the effects of cancer drugs  for Stage 4 kidney cancer (and cancer in general) cause weight loss and weight loss when you have cancer can present certian issues. I hardly see the reason to become "overweight" and add to the risk factors for a variety of cancers. Perhaps building muscle mass in a healthy way would be a better alternative to putting on some extra pounds, if you are concerned?