Tattooing over mastectomy scars

I am taking part in a charity event called P.ink Day. It is put on by P.ink which is a charity that connects women who want tattoos to cover their scars with tattoo artists that have experience with that. Also once a year they have an event where they bring multiple survivors together with tattoo artists and provide free of charge these tattoos.

Has anyone else done this? I am driving to Milwaukee, WI next week for the event and to get my tattoo. You should check out their website if you're interested. It's at p-ink.org

 

Comments

  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583
    let me know how it goes...

    let me know how it goes...

  • nannyginnie
    nannyginnie Member Posts: 7

    let me know how it goes...

    let me know how it goes...

    Okay

    I will, I just can't wait!

  • GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789

    Okay

    I will, I just can't wait!

    Tattoos?

    I do not understand this Tattoo Craze in America today..........why in the Name of God would anybody want to risk Blood Poisoning and go thru the obviously PAINFUL process of getting one?     I would imagine most of you have them now...but as for me I never would have done that to myself...not for any amount of money.  I wouldn't even get my ears pierced.......... LOL   Please don't get pissed at me for this opinion...because if you want to do it and you love it....whose business is it but yours?    And if you want to cover the scars with tatoos...whose business is it?  NoBODY BUT YOURS....  Go for it.....  I'm just too chicken and have had all the pain I want to have.........FOREVER........ I hope.

  • Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Go for it, nannyginnie!

    Almost a year ago I tattoed over 25" hip-to-hip horizontal scar and 5" central vertical scar left after hysterectomy for ovarian cancer / intraperitoneal chemo port / abdominoplasty. It was not free of charge though and took 5 hours. Pain from the needle was minimal because the nerves in the area had been cut anyways. I like the result, scars are virtually invisible. 

    I'm BRCA1+; if I ever decide on BMX, after reconstruction I would definitely cover up those scars with matching tattoos.

    image   image

     

  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I had my chest tatoo'd.
    Went to get the nip tatoo from a friend who is a tatoo artist. I told her I really wanted something to cover all the scarz. It is beautiful. A hummingbird i blues and vreens and a beautiful hibiscus with all the leaves fanning out. I see something beautiful when I get out of the shower, rather than reminders.
  • GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789
    Alexandra said:

    Go for it, nannyginnie!

    Almost a year ago I tattoed over 25" hip-to-hip horizontal scar and 5" central vertical scar left after hysterectomy for ovarian cancer / intraperitoneal chemo port / abdominoplasty. It was not free of charge though and took 5 hours. Pain from the needle was minimal because the nerves in the area had been cut anyways. I like the result, scars are virtually invisible. 

    I'm BRCA1+; if I ever decide on BMX, after reconstruction I would definitely cover up those scars with matching tattoos.

    image   image

     

    WOW Alexandra

    Your Tatoo actually looks lovely...and like a wonderful Decoration...........but I would still be scared to do it.....I'm old now though...and maybe if I were a younger woman I might get the nerve..........you are really a remarkable woman to share these pictures and give this encouragement........   :)

  • GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789
    camul said:

    I had my chest tatoo'd.
    Went to get the nip tatoo from a friend who is a tatoo artist. I told her I really wanted something to cover all the scarz. It is beautiful. A hummingbird i blues and vreens and a beautiful hibiscus with all the leaves fanning out. I see something beautiful when I get out of the shower, rather than reminders.

    Did it hurt?

    I have a really big scar on the left side of my left breast.... and my right one is not nearly so perky as it used to be....maybe I will do a right breast nip up and get a tatoo on the left scar at the same time....but only if they put me to sleep for both...  LOL

     

  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Alexandra said:

    Go for it, nannyginnie!

    Almost a year ago I tattoed over 25" hip-to-hip horizontal scar and 5" central vertical scar left after hysterectomy for ovarian cancer / intraperitoneal chemo port / abdominoplasty. It was not free of charge though and took 5 hours. Pain from the needle was minimal because the nerves in the area had been cut anyways. I like the result, scars are virtually invisible. 

    I'm BRCA1+; if I ever decide on BMX, after reconstruction I would definitely cover up those scars with matching tattoos.

    image   image

     

    Amazing

    it is art and courage. 

  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    GlowMore said:

    Did it hurt?

    I have a really big scar on the left side of my left breast.... and my right one is not nearly so perky as it used to be....maybe I will do a right breast nip up and get a tatoo on the left scar at the same time....but only if they put me to sleep for both...  LOL

     

    no pain.
    It was the scars from mastectomy and there was no feeling! Now I couldnt do it bcuz I am not as healthy and I am on coumadin. But love what she did.