Just found you guys

RRinTX
RRinTX Member Posts: 11

Hi friendly, helpful, new friends out there,  I decided that today was the day to look around to find information on what to expect after my RCC surgery.  It looks like I found the right place.  My left open partial nephrectomy is scheduled for Thursday, June 6, and I may not be prepared for the road ahead.  The last time I spent the night in a hospital was in 1985, for eye surgery, and having had only somewhat minor out-patient procedures since, I'm guessing that recovery this time around will be more challenging.

 

From what I've seen posted, like a few other people, I "fortuitously" (according to my hematologist) found out about the kidney tumor after undergoing a CT scan due to stomach/GI issues.  The first urologist I saw decided, since the tumor was less than 2 cm I should just wait and monitor the situation over the next six months, see you again in three.  If surgery is indicated, the whole kidney will have to go, but we would possibly try cryosurgery or radio frequency first.  I wasn't keen on that, and neither was the hematologist who ordered the CT and is also an oncologist, so off I went for a second opinion.  Urologist number two said, "Why wait?" and that a partial nephrectomy was possible.  So, that's what I've decided to do.

 

Everything was fine inside my head until I started looking over what people are saying recovery entails and now I'm beginning to think I may have underestimated my snappy come-back.  So, I guess I won't be skipping out of the hospital on day 4 after the surgery?? 

«1

Comments

  • mrs_blkjak
    mrs_blkjak Member Posts: 103
    I'm sorry you have to deal

    I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but you are in good hands with the people here! I am so glad that you found someone to be proactive. While a tumor that small is not likely to spread, why give it a chance?! I can't give you any advice for the surgery, as my husband did not have surgery since his very small 2 cm tumor has metasticized and the oncologist wanted to go straight to treatment. But others here can give you advice for that. I wish you the best of luck and a full recovery!

  • RRinTX
    RRinTX Member Posts: 11

    I'm sorry you have to deal

    I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but you are in good hands with the people here! I am so glad that you found someone to be proactive. While a tumor that small is not likely to spread, why give it a chance?! I can't give you any advice for the surgery, as my husband did not have surgery since his very small 2 cm tumor has metasticized and the oncologist wanted to go straight to treatment. But others here can give you advice for that. I wish you the best of luck and a full recovery!

    I'm sorry you have to deal

    Thank you.  Best wishes to you and your husband as well.

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,359 Member
    RRinTX said:

    I'm sorry you have to deal

    Thank you.  Best wishes to you and your husband as well.

    Club rules

    RRinTx.

     

    To join our club you have to go thru the initiation (the surgery) or be a caregiver to somone who has. Dealing with Kidney Cancer is not easy, but everone is given a chance to knock out this little sucker with major abdominal surgery. OK its not fun and it hurts, but I can guarantee one thing and that is that it is better than the alternative.

     

    Icemantoo

     

     

  • RRinTX
    RRinTX Member Posts: 11
    icemantoo said:

    Club rules

    RRinTx.

     

    To join our club you have to go thru the initiation (the surgery) or be a caregiver to somone who has. Dealing with Kidney Cancer is not easy, but everone is given a chance to knock out this little sucker with major abdominal surgery. OK its not fun and it hurts, but I can guarantee one thing and that is that it is better than the alternative.

     

    Icemantoo

     

     

    Club Rules

    Initiation in 2 1/2 days, definitely better than the alternative.  Does that cover the dues too???

  • Galrim
    Galrim Member Posts: 307
    Welcome and some answers and questions

    First of all, Im sorry that you have fulfilled the membership requirements to this club. The ****, or rahter the kidney, has hit the fan, but at least in here you are among people in the same situation who can and will both comfort and advise you if needed or requested :-)

    As for your post and the questions. It shows in a very clear way the importance of having a second opinion. The first oncologist is really way off the standard approach to a case like this. Unless you have a very high age or medical condition making surgery risky, the wait and watch approach is normally not taken if the scans etc clearly indicates a malign tumor.

    As for your recovery after surgery. You dont state anything about age or general medical condition. However, unless any of those two are changing your general condition you should be out of the hospital after 3-4 days, even with an open surgery. If the surgery is done laprascopically then it will normally be even faster, 1-2 days.

    However, one thing is how fast youre out of the hospital, another thing is the post-surgery recovery. That phase is extremely individual and can take anything from a couple of weeks to several months before youre 100% back on your feet, physically as well as mentally. You will find out as you go along, so dont spend to much energy worrying about it upfront.

    For now, just try to focus on the target of all of this, getting that stowaway passenger inside you out of your body. And underline to yourself the fact that you have been caught very early which in the case of RCC expresses a very positive longterm survival rate, and a very low risk of any recurrence, unless the histology indicates something else for which the risk is quite small.

    Good luck and hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

    /G

     

  • ourfriendjohn
    ourfriendjohn Member Posts: 72
    Galrim said:

    Welcome and some answers and questions

    First of all, Im sorry that you have fulfilled the membership requirements to this club. The ****, or rahter the kidney, has hit the fan, but at least in here you are among people in the same situation who can and will both comfort and advise you if needed or requested :-)

    As for your post and the questions. It shows in a very clear way the importance of having a second opinion. The first oncologist is really way off the standard approach to a case like this. Unless you have a very high age or medical condition making surgery risky, the wait and watch approach is normally not taken if the scans etc clearly indicates a malign tumor.

    As for your recovery after surgery. You dont state anything about age or general medical condition. However, unless any of those two are changing your general condition you should be out of the hospital after 3-4 days, even with an open surgery. If the surgery is done laprascopically then it will normally be even faster, 1-2 days.

    However, one thing is how fast youre out of the hospital, another thing is the post-surgery recovery. That phase is extremely individual and can take anything from a couple of weeks to several months before youre 100% back on your feet, physically as well as mentally. You will find out as you go along, so dont spend to much energy worrying about it upfront.

    For now, just try to focus on the target of all of this, getting that stowaway passenger inside you out of your body. And underline to yourself the fact that you have been caught very early which in the case of RCC expresses a very positive longterm survival rate, and a very low risk of any recurrence, unless the histology indicates something else for which the risk is quite small.

    Good luck and hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

    /G

     

    Best Wishes

    RR,

    Welcome to our group.  Believe me, just getting the surgery behind you is a relief.  My right radical nephrectomy in 2011 was more involved than yours is likely to be.  I was in the hospital 5 days and feeling "pretty good" about two weeks later.  At six weeks I, but not the doctor, thought I could do anything.  By six months I was back to normal.  Words of advice:  try not to read too much about RCC on the internet unless it is a reference from your friends here, exercise some before Thursday, try to relax, meditate, and follow the doctor's orders.  Best wishes, you will be in my thoughts on Thursday.

    John

  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    RRinTX said:

    Club Rules

    Initiation in 2 1/2 days, definitely better than the alternative.  Does that cover the dues too???

    Dues...

    RR,

    Scars and staples are all you need for a lifetime membership and all indications at this point are that it will be a long, long membership.  Before and after surgery remember the two W's, walking and water.  Both of these will aid in a quicker return to "normal", water is a natural elixir essential to all bodily functions and healing, exercise (even light) helps you feel better physically and perhaps more importantly, mentally.  As things progress keep us posted, we're here when you need us.

    Good luck and Godspeed,

    Gary

  • dhs1963
    dhs1963 Member Posts: 513

    I read about people with easy recoveries and I am jelious.  Main thing is to listen to you body.  Walk, for sure.  Walk as much as you can.  But when you get tired, pause.  Accept the Pain Meds. 

    And if you know something is not right, be forceful.  I was passive.  I thought my wound was infected at 4 weeks.  Dr did not...at first.  It was. 

    Finally, if you look up information about the cancer on the internet, remember that the data is based on old information.  Today we have better meds and better survalience techniques.  According to the numbers, many of us should be dead.  But modern treatments are working.

  • MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574
    Skipping?

    LOL Skipping doing things in favor of naps is more like it, for while anyway! 

    It is a pity to have to meet under these circumstances  but we'll be here for each other for a long time I suspect.

    I am three weeks post surgery and, while I feel like I can do most anything, it only comes in short bursts followed by lots of rest. I am walking, which has helped.

    So, welcome to our hardy little band.  I'll keep positive thoughts going for you!  Report back when you can! We'll be watching. I think I'll quote Gary here:

    "Cancer sucks."   Thanks Gary!

    Michael

  • RRinTX
    RRinTX Member Posts: 11
    garym said:

    Dues...

    RR,

    Scars and staples are all you need for a lifetime membership and all indications at this point are that it will be a long, long membership.  Before and after surgery remember the two W's, walking and water.  Both of these will aid in a quicker return to "normal", water is a natural elixir essential to all bodily functions and healing, exercise (even light) helps you feel better physically and perhaps more importantly, mentally.  As things progress keep us posted, we're here when you need us.

    Good luck and Godspeed,

    Gary

    Thanks Gary,
    I'll definitely

    Thanks Gary,

    I'll definitely take the two W's to heart, two things I am not usually good at, but have been trying.  

    I'll be back on in a week or so to compare scars!!

     

    Rachel

  • DarrylPe
    DarrylPe Member Posts: 75
    Welcome

    Hi and welcome to the club.  Your in the right place . I found this site by accident alittle over two years ago and it help keep me sane thru my surgery. God Bless and good luck.

  • RRinTX
    RRinTX Member Posts: 11
    Galrim said:

    Welcome and some answers and questions

    First of all, Im sorry that you have fulfilled the membership requirements to this club. The ****, or rahter the kidney, has hit the fan, but at least in here you are among people in the same situation who can and will both comfort and advise you if needed or requested :-)

    As for your post and the questions. It shows in a very clear way the importance of having a second opinion. The first oncologist is really way off the standard approach to a case like this. Unless you have a very high age or medical condition making surgery risky, the wait and watch approach is normally not taken if the scans etc clearly indicates a malign tumor.

    As for your recovery after surgery. You dont state anything about age or general medical condition. However, unless any of those two are changing your general condition you should be out of the hospital after 3-4 days, even with an open surgery. If the surgery is done laprascopically then it will normally be even faster, 1-2 days.

    However, one thing is how fast youre out of the hospital, another thing is the post-surgery recovery. That phase is extremely individual and can take anything from a couple of weeks to several months before youre 100% back on your feet, physically as well as mentally. You will find out as you go along, so dont spend to much energy worrying about it upfront.

    For now, just try to focus on the target of all of this, getting that stowaway passenger inside you out of your body. And underline to yourself the fact that you have been caught very early which in the case of RCC expresses a very positive longterm survival rate, and a very low risk of any recurrence, unless the histology indicates something else for which the risk is quite small.

    Good luck and hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

    /G

     

    Thanks /G,
    I feel good about

    Thanks /G,

    I feel good about the decision, but am getting a little nervous as the day approaches.  However, I did sign up for a speedy recovery so we'll see how that goes.  

    I'll be back,

    Rachel

  • RRinTX
    RRinTX Member Posts: 11
    dhs1963 said:

    I read about people with easy recoveries and I am jelious.  Main thing is to listen to you body.  Walk, for sure.  Walk as much as you can.  But when you get tired, pause.  Accept the Pain Meds. 

    And if you know something is not right, be forceful.  I was passive.  I thought my wound was infected at 4 weeks.  Dr did not...at first.  It was. 

    Finally, if you look up information about the cancer on the internet, remember that the data is based on old information.  Today we have better meds and better survalience techniques.  According to the numbers, many of us should be dead.  But modern treatments are working.

    I wouldn't want to make you

    I wouldn't want to make you jealous, but I am hoping for one of those easy recoveries.  I hope you are now feeling fine.

    Thanks,

    Rachel

  • RRinTX
    RRinTX Member Posts: 11
    MDCinSC said:

    Skipping?

    LOL Skipping doing things in favor of naps is more like it, for while anyway! 

    It is a pity to have to meet under these circumstances  but we'll be here for each other for a long time I suspect.

    I am three weeks post surgery and, while I feel like I can do most anything, it only comes in short bursts followed by lots of rest. I am walking, which has helped.

    So, welcome to our hardy little band.  I'll keep positive thoughts going for you!  Report back when you can! We'll be watching. I think I'll quote Gary here:

    "Cancer sucks."   Thanks Gary!

    Michael

    Thanks Michael,
    Your three

    Thanks Michael,

    Your three week's head start news is encouraging.  I hope you continue to do more and nap less.

    I'll be back to report in a while,

    Rachel

  • RRinTX
    RRinTX Member Posts: 11
    DarrylPe said:

    Welcome

    Hi and welcome to the club.  Your in the right place . I found this site by accident alittle over two years ago and it help keep me sane thru my surgery. God Bless and good luck.

    Thank you Darryl,
    It's

    Thank you Darryl,

    It's already been a helpful site.

    I'll post an update when I can,

    Rachel

  • saintmont
    saintmont Member Posts: 63
    after surgery

    Hi, I had my right kidney removed 2011, I was in hospital for 7 days was up walking around after 5 days but took it easy. When I got home I rested I found getting out of bed the hardest I had roll to the edge of the bed to get out and try not to put to much pressure on operated side of my body becase if I didnot do it right it gave me grief., but other than that generally I was fine. I would suggest rest for a couple of weeks and do some short walks around your house the sooner you get moving the quicker you will recover. After 2 weeks I when on longer walks and after 6 weeks I went back to work Full-time. I hope this helps. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

  • RRinTX
    RRinTX Member Posts: 11

    Best Wishes

    RR,

    Welcome to our group.  Believe me, just getting the surgery behind you is a relief.  My right radical nephrectomy in 2011 was more involved than yours is likely to be.  I was in the hospital 5 days and feeling "pretty good" about two weeks later.  At six weeks I, but not the doctor, thought I could do anything.  By six months I was back to normal.  Words of advice:  try not to read too much about RCC on the internet unless it is a reference from your friends here, exercise some before Thursday, try to relax, meditate, and follow the doctor's orders.  Best wishes, you will be in my thoughts on Thursday.

    John

    Thank you John.  
    Good advice

    Thank you John.  

    Good advice too.  Wish I could meditate with some chocolate, but today is a liquid diet only day.  Not fair!

     

    Rachel

  • RRinTX
    RRinTX Member Posts: 11
    saintmont said:

    after surgery

    Hi, I had my right kidney removed 2011, I was in hospital for 7 days was up walking around after 5 days but took it easy. When I got home I rested I found getting out of bed the hardest I had roll to the edge of the bed to get out and try not to put to much pressure on operated side of my body becase if I didnot do it right it gave me grief., but other than that generally I was fine. I would suggest rest for a couple of weeks and do some short walks around your house the sooner you get moving the quicker you will recover. After 2 weeks I when on longer walks and after 6 weeks I went back to work Full-time. I hope this helps. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

    Thank you, that sounds

    Thank you, that sounds encouraging.

  • ourfriendjohn
    ourfriendjohn Member Posts: 72
    RRinTX said:

    Thank you, that sounds

    Thank you, that sounds encouraging.

    It's over!

    Rachel,

    Thought about you today and hope things went well.  I know it will be several days before you see this but wanted you to have some e-mail waiting for you.  Relax and take care of yourself.  There is probably a piece of chocolate in your future.

    John

  • RRinTX
    RRinTX Member Posts: 11

    It's over!

    Rachel,

    Thought about you today and hope things went well.  I know it will be several days before you see this but wanted you to have some e-mail waiting for you.  Relax and take care of yourself.  There is probably a piece of chocolate in your future.

    John

    It's over!

    Hi John,

    I just replied to your more recent post but thought I'd let you know that I am easing my way back into the chocolate with excellent results!

    Rachel