I have a couple of questions.

MDCinSC
MDCinSC Member Posts: 574

After doing research, I reason the "average" kidney weight around a half pound. The surgeon told me mine went a good three pounds! She said it was the largest she ever excised. They were quite shcoked as they tried to get it out and that may explain the extensive bruising around the removal site.  She did say it was completely encapsulated so we won't know much for while until the pathology comes back.  Does anyone  have any information as to kidney size,relative to tumor size and prognosis?  

Secondly, I note that my taste is "off," for want of a better word. I seem extremely sensitive to sweets. Anything sweet, even those things that I have eaten for years, are now syrupy and revolting.

BTW, thanks to each one of you for your supoort and your cheering words.  My wife was quite taken by the care and camaraderie she found here.  She had to experience it to understand what I have been saying about all of you!

«1

Comments

  • Blueraidermike
    Blueraidermike Member Posts: 25
    Speculating does no good

    Just wait for the pathology.   I assume you are have been scanned to know if there are any areas.     I don't think the size of the kidney has impact on prognosis; there is some thought the size of the tumor can give insight - do you have the size of the tumor?    Even then, you are case study of one - the odds may not apply to you personally.   JMHO. 

  • MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574

    Speculating does no good

    Just wait for the pathology.   I assume you are have been scanned to know if there are any areas.     I don't think the size of the kidney has impact on prognosis; there is some thought the size of the tumor can give insight - do you have the size of the tumor?    Even then, you are case study of one - the odds may not apply to you personally.   JMHO. 

    It really was a simple inquiry.

    I am quite resolved to handle whatever the pathology is at its face value.  If I was the  worrying kind, they'd have planted me years ago!  Laughing LOL

     

    I appreciate your concern though, truly!

  • Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945
    Taste

     

    Hi Michael, It is not unusual for your taste buds to be effected after an operation, particularly your taste for sweet or spicy food. Not having a passion for sweet, sugary food can work in your favour now though, as it should help you to eliminate it from your diet. I should have said, if you are going on the diet recommended for cancer sufferers.

    Djinnie

  • DonMiller
    DonMiller Member Posts: 109
    MDCinSC said:

    It really was a simple inquiry.

    I am quite resolved to handle whatever the pathology is at its face value.  If I was the  worrying kind, they'd have planted me years ago!  Laughing LOL

     

    I appreciate your concern though, truly!

    Actually not a simple inquiry

    I too had a giant kidney which  together with a giant tumor weighted a bit more then a kilogram.  On the bright side my other kidney is giant too and despite my blood pressure and diabetes is working perfectly.  Apparently I have extra blood vessels too.  Anyway I am still here. 

  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    Big boy

    Jerry White, of whom you have probably by now heard tell, had a kidney tumor that weighed 20 lbs.  We've had quite a few members here, of both genders, who've had tumors measuring over 20cm.  They vary enormously.  I have a golfing chum whose Wife is now doing fine after removal of a chest wall tumor.  She is petite and was blissfully unaware of hte tumor until, while having a routine screening her GP said she noticed a slight bulge.  The tumor was the size of a soccer ball and they had to remove three of her ribs to get it out.  Frankly, I thought it improbable that she would survive for long   Her op was around the same time as mine and she's actually doing better than I am.

    Changes of taste are part of this territory for some.  If you suffer it, it comes and goes.  I'm in it at the moment - just had a fresh cream chocolate eclair with coffee and I really can't say what it tastes like - just unfamiliar and not very appealing - probably just as well!  I agree that it's no bad thing if you are put off sweet things at the moment (other than that lovely Wife of yours, of course!).

     

  • MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574
    DonMiller said:

    Actually not a simple inquiry

    I too had a giant kidney which  together with a giant tumor weighted a bit more then a kilogram.  On the bright side my other kidney is giant too and despite my blood pressure and diabetes is working perfectly.  Apparently I have extra blood vessels too.  Anyway I am still here. 

    For which

    we are always grateful!  Thak you! 

     

  • val1963
    val1963 Member Posts: 27
    Oh I will be most thankful if

    Oh I will be most thankful if I never likes sweets again after my surgery!   ha ha 

    How are you feeling?  Moving around pretty good? 

    I can't add any insight to your questions about size but I wanted to say hello and check your progress.

    Take Care! 

  • MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574
    val1963 said:

    Oh I will be most thankful if

    Oh I will be most thankful if I never likes sweets again after my surgery!   ha ha 

    How are you feeling?  Moving around pretty good? 

    I can't add any insight to your questions about size but I wanted to say hello and check your progress.

    Take Care! 

    Moving pretty well actually.

    I am walking in the neighborhood, cautiously and not too far. I understand why all the admonitions about being realistic in what you attempt. It was worse than I anticipated.

    My neighbors are helpful and are handling all my yard and garden work for me (how long can I stretch this out?) and I'm getting all kinds of goodies and treats! Wink  Unfortunately most are sweet and gloppy and since the surgery I can't abide sweet stuff! lol  I am appreciative and tell them how wonderful they are!  The acts of kindness certainly are and my grand daughter appreciates the goodies. 

    Still awaiting "the event," and I am trying to hasten it on with prune juice. I think that will improve my overall feeling of health more than anything.

    Each day is better than the one before it!

  • metal_rabbit
    metal_rabbit Member Posts: 13
    MDCinSC said:

    Moving pretty well actually.

    I am walking in the neighborhood, cautiously and not too far. I understand why all the admonitions about being realistic in what you attempt. It was worse than I anticipated.

    My neighbors are helpful and are handling all my yard and garden work for me (how long can I stretch this out?) and I'm getting all kinds of goodies and treats! Wink  Unfortunately most are sweet and gloppy and since the surgery I can't abide sweet stuff! lol  I am appreciative and tell them how wonderful they are!  The acts of kindness certainly are and my grand daughter appreciates the goodies. 

    Still awaiting "the event," and I am trying to hasten it on with prune juice. I think that will improve my overall feeling of health more than anything.

    Each day is better than the one before it!

    2 months on . . .

    Michael:

    I had my left kidney and a 9cm x 8cm x 6cm tumour removed 2 months back.

    Two points: getting the bowels moving again was probably the worst thing of all - took me about 30 hours of serious straining, a week after the operation. Consulted my doctor and she prescribed enemas (which I didn't use) and mild laxatives (orange-flavoured!) which I had a couple. Eventually 'the dam opened' and it's a great feeling! Prune juice and fruit generally are a good idea - and a toilet where you can be left alone (I know others mean well asking if you are 'all right' but it's not helpful!) It will happen, ok?

    The other bit is that though mine was a major version of the operation (4.5 hours, dropped 5kg in weight, had the rib cartilage 'excised' and lost over a litre of blood) and I am 'signed off' by the doctor for at least a further six weeks, I still feel I am malingering and being lazy, so in answer, stretch it out as long as the medics say you should. And take care restarting driving, for instance.

    Carpe diem

    Peter

  • MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574

    2 months on . . .

    Michael:

    I had my left kidney and a 9cm x 8cm x 6cm tumour removed 2 months back.

    Two points: getting the bowels moving again was probably the worst thing of all - took me about 30 hours of serious straining, a week after the operation. Consulted my doctor and she prescribed enemas (which I didn't use) and mild laxatives (orange-flavoured!) which I had a couple. Eventually 'the dam opened' and it's a great feeling! Prune juice and fruit generally are a good idea - and a toilet where you can be left alone (I know others mean well asking if you are 'all right' but it's not helpful!) It will happen, ok?

    The other bit is that though mine was a major version of the operation (4.5 hours, dropped 5kg in weight, had the rib cartilage 'excised' and lost over a litre of blood) and I am 'signed off' by the doctor for at least a further six weeks, I still feel I am malingering and being lazy, so in answer, stretch it out as long as the medics say you should. And take care restarting driving, for instance.

    Carpe diem

    Peter

    Good advice!

    Thank you!   I wish you the best on your recovery!

  • GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303
    MDCinSC said:

    Good advice!

    Thank you!   I wish you the best on your recovery!

    Food and..

    Hi Michael...  I suggest you think about your diet, then let your friends and family know what you decide...  Best use this experience as a form of wake up call.. get yourself in even better shape..!!    For me, I cut out a lot of foods that I used to love, and am learning to love the better foods now..  Talk to your doctor, but most likely sugar and salt are two items to radically reduce your intake of..  I rarely have any red meat anymore, I had some beef for lunch yesterday and that was the first red meat since March.  I eat a lot of fruits and veggies plus a lot of fish and some chicken.  Seasonings, most have salt, Mrs Dash has several kinds of seasoning that are salt free.   Watch out for anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup.   That said, I do not let my diet make me miserable..   You need to find your own happy medium..

    Glad you are up and walking..!!

    Be Well

    Ron

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181
    GSRon said:

    Food and..

    Hi Michael...  I suggest you think about your diet, then let your friends and family know what you decide...  Best use this experience as a form of wake up call.. get yourself in even better shape..!!    For me, I cut out a lot of foods that I used to love, and am learning to love the better foods now..  Talk to your doctor, but most likely sugar and salt are two items to radically reduce your intake of..  I rarely have any red meat anymore, I had some beef for lunch yesterday and that was the first red meat since March.  I eat a lot of fruits and veggies plus a lot of fish and some chicken.  Seasonings, most have salt, Mrs Dash has several kinds of seasoning that are salt free.   Watch out for anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup.   That said, I do not let my diet make me miserable..   You need to find your own happy medium..

    Glad you are up and walking..!!

    Be Well

    Ron

    Patience grasshopper

    There may never be another time where you can just relax a bit and do little to nothing other than easy walks. It is a chance to be a little egocentric. Read your body cues and don't force anything. It all comes back with time. As far as the bathroom goes, what a miserable time. I hated senecot. It has been 2 years now and you'll be glad I forgot the details, but everything works out.

  • MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574
    foxhd said:

    Patience grasshopper

    There may never be another time where you can just relax a bit and do little to nothing other than easy walks. It is a chance to be a little egocentric. Read your body cues and don't force anything. It all comes back with time. As far as the bathroom goes, what a miserable time. I hated senecot. It has been 2 years now and you'll be glad I forgot the details, but everything works out.

    :)

    You Silver Tongued Devil, you do have a way with words!

  • GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303
    MDCinSC said:

    :)

    You Silver Tongued Devil, you do have a way with words!

    One UP

    I finally got one up on Fox...  I got out of bed on the second day after my surgery and shiffled my feet to a portable commode..   My body left one nice pile.. No muss no fuss... and I was regular from then on...   Kind of embarrasing that the Nurses insist on trying to get a measurement on the size of said deposit for my medical chart...   And then as I had tubes in both arms, my neck, and one in my ahem place they had to wipe my bottom.. sigh..   Oh yes, they measured everything that went in and out of me... but then I had some complications and was in the ICU for 10 days...  Some of you had it easy, by my standards..!!

    Rest up.. get well..

    Ron :)

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181
    GSRon said:

    One UP

    I finally got one up on Fox...  I got out of bed on the second day after my surgery and shiffled my feet to a portable commode..   My body left one nice pile.. No muss no fuss... and I was regular from then on...   Kind of embarrasing that the Nurses insist on trying to get a measurement on the size of said deposit for my medical chart...   And then as I had tubes in both arms, my neck, and one in my ahem place they had to wipe my bottom.. sigh..   Oh yes, they measured everything that went in and out of me... but then I had some complications and was in the ICU for 10 days...  Some of you had it easy, by my standards..!!

    Rest up.. get well..

    Ron :)

    I think

    ...it was number 2 down.

  • MeMeJoy
    MeMeJoy Member Posts: 70
    sweets

    Hi Michael!

    Glad you are up and about! I know Im a little late to the game on this one, but wanted to share... I had the same adversion to sweets after my surgery. So much so that I haven't had a sip of sweet tea yet!Surprised And I'm from Alabama!! lol

    I felt so bad for my kids, before my surgery my favorite sweet was white chocolate so they brought me some and I just couldn't eat any. The thought made me queasy. After a week or so though I finally ate a piece just to be nice and it wasn't that bad...Not as good as I remember but not bad either!

    Things seem really salty too! In fact the only "craving" I've had that lived up to my expectation was fruit (watermelon, melon, strawberrys, and blackberries yum!)

  • donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,023 Member
    MeMeJoy said:

    sweets

    Hi Michael!

    Glad you are up and about! I know Im a little late to the game on this one, but wanted to share... I had the same adversion to sweets after my surgery. So much so that I haven't had a sip of sweet tea yet!Surprised And I'm from Alabama!! lol

    I felt so bad for my kids, before my surgery my favorite sweet was white chocolate so they brought me some and I just couldn't eat any. The thought made me queasy. After a week or so though I finally ate a piece just to be nice and it wasn't that bad...Not as good as I remember but not bad either!

    Things seem really salty too! In fact the only "craving" I've had that lived up to my expectation was fruit (watermelon, melon, strawberrys, and blackberries yum!)

    jumping to the bottom line

    A member of my Cancer Survivors' Support Group had a 13 pound tumor with kidney removed about 15 years ago.  She had been experiencing referred pain on the right kidney, but the tumor was on the left.  The time between Dx, when it was only about 1# and removal less than 3 weeks later showed it had grown about 12 pounds.  It was encapsulated in a "sticky pocket", with no cells outside.  The surgery for cancer went OK but there was damage to the colon where the capsule had grown to it and she had to have 10" of her intestine removed.

    Other than arthritis and her age, she's doing well.

    Donna

  • Fizziwiz
    Fizziwiz Member Posts: 42
    MDCinSC said:

    Moving pretty well actually.

    I am walking in the neighborhood, cautiously and not too far. I understand why all the admonitions about being realistic in what you attempt. It was worse than I anticipated.

    My neighbors are helpful and are handling all my yard and garden work for me (how long can I stretch this out?) and I'm getting all kinds of goodies and treats! Wink  Unfortunately most are sweet and gloppy and since the surgery I can't abide sweet stuff! lol  I am appreciative and tell them how wonderful they are!  The acts of kindness certainly are and my grand daughter appreciates the goodies. 

    Still awaiting "the event," and I am trying to hasten it on with prune juice. I think that will improve my overall feeling of health more than anything.

    Each day is better than the one before it!

    A trick

    m~ 

    glad you are getting along well.  

    a trick. heat your prune juice, and melt a pat of real butter in it. 

    i am maneuvering ok, not driving or working yet, still foggy. but it will be better tomorrow!

    ~liz

  • MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574
    Fizziwiz said:

    A trick

    m~ 

    glad you are getting along well.  

    a trick. heat your prune juice, and melt a pat of real butter in it. 

    i am maneuvering ok, not driving or working yet, still foggy. but it will be better tomorrow!

    ~liz

    Woot!  I'll remember that

    Woot!  I'll remember that next time! Wink

  • metal_rabbit
    metal_rabbit Member Posts: 13
    MDCinSC said:

    Woot!  I'll remember that

    Woot!  I'll remember that next time! Wink

    movement?

    your innards playing the right game now?