CSN Login
Members Online: 15

You are here

Our New Journey finishes one course and starts another

PapaPaul's picture
Posts: 33
Joined: Jan 2013

2 days Post Treatment!!!!

Hi All! The radiation and chemo treatments have come to an end HOORAY!!!!! The next course on our jouney has me on the road to recovery and healing from the side effects of the rads and chemo. The burns on my neck have started to heal and I no longer have to use the silverdean (I know that isn't spelled correctly but I'm too tired to go get the container). This is a good thing because it was so hard and painful to clean off between treatments. My greatest problem now is the thick mucus and the pain it causes on the back of my throat and waking in the morning with what feels like scabs caked to my tongue and back of my mouth. They are very painful to wash off. I find using the PEG for feeding difficult. Seams whether I go slow or quick, lay back or sit up, I get heart burn and feel very full very quickly. I still dehydrate and had to go for fluids this afternoon. My wife and I are keeping a close eye on this and trying to hydrate normally. I read the string about swallowing exercises this morning and am first to agree with what was said. I met with a head and neck therapist early in my treatments who gave me a list of exercises to do daily during treatment and recovery. I met with her today and told me even with the pain, I have more mobility with my jaw and throat muscles then most do at my level of treatment and recovery. In fact I have lost no mouth opening capability at all!  Thanks to all of you and the info you send out to everyone during their treatments and recovery, Its a blessing knowing that there are others with experience that can help others endure the process and hardships that come with this type of disease. Daily I ask the Good Lord Above for his mercies and blessings on each of you and for success in recovering from this hiccup in life. I look forward to the time when I can share my successes with the folks coming here for answers and advice.

phrannie51's picture
Posts: 4673
Joined: Mar 2012

Papa Paul!!  No more rads, no more chemo.....you truly ARE on the way to recovery.  This next couple of weeks will be rough....but for me, feeling crappy and not having to go anywhere was wonderful....the plus of every day was knowing I could just hunker down and rest.  I had a bad time in the mornings with the mouth sores...a desert dry mouth from sleeping all night really got those sore raging in the am.  The salt and soda rinse and spit did help as did the L-Glutamine mixed with water....I hear that the the salt and soda will cut thru mucous, also.  It won't be very long from now, that you'll wake up one morning and think..."wow, I think I've rounded a corner".....it's weird how that happens.


CivilMatt's picture
Posts: 4317
Joined: May 2012



I say way to go; I’ll be ringing my bell for you tomorrow morning.


Everything you mention does get better every day.  I went through awful dry mouth, sore tongue and throat, terrible heart burn, but not so bad now.



Skiffin16's picture
Posts: 8286
Joined: Sep 2009

Bell ringer Papa....

Congrats on kicking butt and coming out on top...

I've had problems with acid reflux since chemo, Protonix is what was prescribed for me...



jcortney's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: Sep 2012

As for hydration, have you tried just putting water though your feeding tube?  I still do put 500 cc though the tube when I don't think I got enough during the day.  Works like a charm for me.

Again, great job making through.



hwt's picture
Posts: 2330
Joined: Jun 2012

Did anyone tell you not to lay down after feeding? I was told to always sit up 1/2 hour after I finished and didn't have any issues, maybe that will help. Be thankful you knew about the exercises and haven't lost any mouth opening capacity, I get jealous when I see someone open wide to eat a sandwich but remain grateful that I can still eat a sandwich even if it is with a knife & fork. Just wishful someone had shared the exercises with me upfront. 

Glad the tx is in your rearview mirror!

Posts: 76
Joined: Jul 2012

I am happy you are on the way on the road to recovery.    Tongue Out  I just wanted to comment on your feeding issues.  One of the few times that I cried during treatment was when I met with the nutritionist and told her that I was having issues with my feeding tube. I was sick to my stomach and I was afraid that I was not getting enough calories.  She told me to water down the can food. I thought she was crazy but it worked.  I put about 2/3 of can and 1/3 water in class then put that through my tube and did that for a few weeks.  Also, I made sure that I took at least 20 minutes to finish a can.  After a few weeks I put less and less water until at the end I could down a can undiluted in about 10 minutes if I was in a rush.   I had the feeding tube removed a few months ago and I had not problems after my initial hurdle. I hope this works for you.  Congratulations again. I hope it is a speedy recovery! Lori

Posts: 6
Joined: Feb 2013

You truly are my hero! You always have been and always will be. I have watched you conquer every obstacle that has come our way in the last 40 plus years. I knew in my heart, when we were told about your cancer, you would conquer it too!!! Now here we are...post treatment. I know you will fight through the side effects until you have no more side effects to fight. I can't wait to see you walk our daughter down the isle.....I will have a box of Kleenex in hand, that is for sure :) 

i love you Papapaul...it's ok....I can say that, he calls me, hon...

fishmanpa's picture
Posts: 1217
Joined: Jan 2013

Congrats Papa P!

Getting through the treatment is a huge victory! Ringing a bell here!


Grandmax4's picture
Posts: 709
Joined: Dec 2011

happy for you~~~watch for fuzzy feeling spots, many of us were bothered with  thrush.

debbiejeanne's picture
Posts: 3095
Joined: Jan 2010

glad the trmnts are over and now the recovery journey starts.  i will keep you in my prayers.

God bless,


Roar's picture
Posts: 265
Joined: Mar 2013

Good luck- the toughest part is over. I am coming up on3 months after treatment. Still having a little trouble eating normally but is getting better every day. Don't try to do too much too soon. Listen to your body and rest when your tired

Subscribe to Comments for "Our New Journey finishes one course and starts another"