low serum Vitamin D correlates with cancer - get tested

peterz54
peterz54 Member Posts: 341
edited April 2013 in Colorectal Cancer #1

This is very significant and I urge you to get tested. 

Research points to a clear relationship between Vitamin D and cancer, including recurrance and survival.

 You should make sure your level is clearly above 30 ng/ml, at a minimum.  Consensus among researchers suggest being 40 to 60 ng/l

one scientific presentation here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsyaYNX1dw

 

as an add on, breast cancer survivor Carole Baggerly, started a non-profit to ge the word out about the link between Vitamin D and cancer and to facilitate more research.

her presentation  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ-qekFoi-o

her organization http://www.grassrootshealth.net/

 

I must emphasis that my wife's oncologist never ordered a vitamin D test.   I requested her test be done and found it was low, just above 20, and we ive in Florida.   I did not at the time (early 2012) know that it takes many weeks to get serum level up if one uses only 1,000 to 2,000 IU a day, which will raise D an avergae of 10 to 20 ng/ml.   but each pperson is different, so please get tested and review the research.   

peter

 

 

«1

Comments

  • PatchAdams
    PatchAdams Member Posts: 271
    Vit. D3 levels

    Dr. Garland suggests your number should be closer to 75ng.   My first test, prior to supplementing was 17ng.  After starting my supplements, it got to 37ng.  I'm now at 6,000 IU's daily and it's under 100ng but I don't know my exact number.  My onc's office  left the message that it was in a great range.  I'll get the exact number when I go in this coming April.   

     

    When vitamin D was tested in patients with colon cancer it was found by Dr. Charles Fuchs in the Journal of Clinical Oncology published in June last year that the patients with the highest vitamin D levels lived longer suggesting that low levels may be associated with shorter survival

     

    Livestrong says: Normal levels range from 30 to 74 ng/mL, according to Medline Plus.

    D3: Watch the Youtube videos on Vitamin D3 and cancer by Dr. Cedric Garland. Here's one that's 39 minutes long. There are others which are much shorter. 

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsyaYNX1dw

  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122
    Peter –

     

    It should be also noted, that Vitamin D is produced by your own body when it is exposed to the sun for more than 15 minutes.

     

    Your body’s process to  enable that conversion is more important than the vitamin itself!

     

    Taking supplements is not the answer; using your gift of your body’s ability to take from life, what is needed to support your life, is (it’s part of our basic design; the further we stray from that, the more we suffer).

     

    Best wishes,

     

    John

  • RobinKaye
    RobinKaye Member Posts: 93
    John23 said:

    Peter –

     

    It should be also noted, that Vitamin D is produced by your own body when it is exposed to the sun for more than 15 minutes.

     

    Your body’s process to  enable that conversion is more important than the vitamin itself!

     

    Taking supplements is not the answer; using your gift of your body’s ability to take from life, what is needed to support your life, is (it’s part of our basic design; the further we stray from that, the more we suffer).

     

    Best wishes,

     

    John

    John

    John, you're absolutely correct but have you spent a winter in Chicago.  Without supplements there is no way to keep the levels up unless you hit the tanning bed a couple times a week.  I sure want to get my D from sunshine but we won't be seeing enough of that until sometime in June.  

    Studies show that blacks have a higher risk of getting crc especially in the northern areas.  First because of their skin color they don't absorb the sun at the same rate as a white person, 15 minutes of sunshine for me might do the trick but for them it could be an hour or more.  Put that with the fact that there is little sunshine for at least half a year and you have trouble.

    So, while maybe not the best way to get your D, supplements are a good next best thing.

  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    RobinKaye said:

    John

    John, you're absolutely correct but have you spent a winter in Chicago.  Without supplements there is no way to keep the levels up unless you hit the tanning bed a couple times a week.  I sure want to get my D from sunshine but we won't be seeing enough of that until sometime in June.  

    Studies show that blacks have a higher risk of getting crc especially in the northern areas.  First because of their skin color they don't absorb the sun at the same rate as a white person, 15 minutes of sunshine for me might do the trick but for them it could be an hour or more.  Put that with the fact that there is little sunshine for at least half a year and you have trouble.

    So, while maybe not the best way to get your D, supplements are a good next best thing.

    except,perhaps,for the following

    http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=673376

     

  • So Worried
    So Worried Member Posts: 111
    coloCan said:

    except,perhaps,for the following

    http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=673376

     

    Vitamin D......

    I read that article the other day coloCan and I came across several more. 

    One stated to be sure your vitamins are "a USP-verified product  

     

  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    John23 said:

    Peter –

     

    It should be also noted, that Vitamin D is produced by your own body when it is exposed to the sun for more than 15 minutes.

     

    Your body’s process to  enable that conversion is more important than the vitamin itself!

     

    Taking supplements is not the answer; using your gift of your body’s ability to take from life, what is needed to support your life, is (it’s part of our basic design; the further we stray from that, the more we suffer).

     

    Best wishes,

     

    John

    Not all of us can get D from sunlight

    My D levels have been consistently low, even in the summer, when I am in the sun a lot.  It was at 9 ng/l when first tested.  

    My sisters also have very low D levels.  One is a farmer, who spends all daylight hours outside; the other lives in Hawaii, and spends her time out in the sun as well.  We do not process D from sunlight the way most people do, and all have to take supplements.  I am currently on 10,000iu D3/day (under medical supervision), and with that, have only gotten my D-levels into the 40s.  Plus, Vitamin D from supplements does not carry the risk of skin cancer.

    We can't just rely on sunlight.

  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278
    John23 said:

    Peter –

     

    It should be also noted, that Vitamin D is produced by your own body when it is exposed to the sun for more than 15 minutes.

     

    Your body’s process to  enable that conversion is more important than the vitamin itself!

     

    Taking supplements is not the answer; using your gift of your body’s ability to take from life, what is needed to support your life, is (it’s part of our basic design; the further we stray from that, the more we suffer).

     

    Best wishes,

     

    John

    Be respectful about others journey

    Many of us with cancer have a deficient Vit D and Vit B. No matter what my diet, how much time I spend outside, I have low levels of Vit D and B. 

     

    When one makes a blanket statement about one should just get it naturally, I wonder if they do not think that many still have to take supplements no matter what they do.  May be some people's body's do not work correctly and that is why they have cancer?

     

    This forum is to share experiences and be positivee for each other. Not to be argumentitive and one sided. I am glad to read about  various people's sucesses. Be respectful about other's journey with Cancer.  Also, herbs are herbs. There are not medical strength herbs in TCM!  There are various herbs put together that have, unarguably good results. (There are 796 herbs that have well backed research for TCM on various types of cancer. Not to mention numerous teas or concoctions from the many herbs.)  The various strengths of the teas and concoctions are what is in question. Some practioners can get it correct and others do not.   No different then chemo treatments that various amounts and time lines have varried results. 

     

    Best Always, mike

  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576
    thxmiker said:

    Be respectful about others journey

    Many of us with cancer have a deficient Vit D and Vit B. No matter what my diet, how much time I spend outside, I have low levels of Vit D and B. 

     

    When one makes a blanket statement about one should just get it naturally, I wonder if they do not think that many still have to take supplements no matter what they do.  May be some people's body's do not work correctly and that is why they have cancer?

     

    This forum is to share experiences and be positivee for each other. Not to be argumentitive and one sided. I am glad to read about  various people's sucesses. Be respectful about other's journey with Cancer.  Also, herbs are herbs. There are not medical strength herbs in TCM!  There are various herbs put together that have, unarguably good results. (There are 796 herbs that have well backed research for TCM on various types of cancer. Not to mention numerous teas or concoctions from the many herbs.)  The various strengths of the teas and concoctions are what is in question. Some practioners can get it correct and others do not.   No different then chemo treatments that various amounts and time lines have varried results. 

     

    Best Always, mike

    sun

    I realize that it must be very difficult for some to realize how little sun others actually receive.  I live to the east of the Great Lakes in Canada....this enormous inland body of water causes cloud formations over much of the winter season.  It is now February and I can honestly say since Oct I cannot remember having spent a day outside in the sun....yes indeedy 5 months...and the it is not over yet...some days if there is sun the temperature is well below zero.  In December the sun sets at 4.45pm....very nicely dark by 5pm when people are coming home from work...My husband and I try to get out and walk on any day that promises a bit of sun.  We will hike looking for a warmish spot...a place to perhaps take off your hat for a minute to catch some rays......this is rare .....

    it is totally understandable if our vitamin D from sunshine in northern climes is deficient....

     

    mags  gosh I just googled it....i live in one the worst cities for sunshine....in January we had 35 hours of sun....in one month....yikes....

     

  • luvinlife2
    luvinlife2 Member Posts: 172
    In a cream

    This is why I take mine in a cream form.  25,000IU/mm once a day.  Keeps my level at optimum and I don't have to worry about taking another pill or that the pill I'm taking isn't all that it should be.  Rubbing on the inside of my arms make my body utlilize it the same as if I were in the sun.  I'd rather thave the sun anyday but we get more rain than anything.

  • Phil64
    Phil64 Member Posts: 838
    Questions
    Do you get this test through your oncologist?

    Is it part of the blood work they typically do?

    Where do you go to buy the supplements?

    West Michigan is low on sunlight too and being treated with Erbitux the recomendation (at least I think???) is to stay out of the sun...
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Phil64 said:

    Questions
    Do you get this test through your oncologist?

    Is it part of the blood work they typically do?

    Where do you go to buy the supplements?

    West Michigan is low on sunlight too and being treated with Erbitux the recomendation (at least I think???) is to stay out of the sun...

    I get mine done at my PCP or onc

    and the supplements I take are OTC.  However, your MD will give you an Rx version, if your counts are low.  That will be a high potency (50,000iu) capsule of vitamin D2 to be taken once or twice a week.  My body didn't respond to that either.  I need to get the D3.  After a year on 2 of those/week plus 2,000iu D3 daily, my counts were still low.  An integrative med MD at Memorial Sloan Kettering set me up with just using D3, and in 4 weeks had my levels normal (20,000iu D3/day for 2 weeks, followed by 10,000iu/day for life.  We tried lower, but then my counts dropped.)  However, high dose D3 is not available as an Rx, only D2.

    Our bodies respond differently to different things.  For me, vitamin D is a problem.  I can't make it from sunlight, and the plant form (D2) has no effect.  For other people, sunlight and/or D2 work fine.  My Brother-in-law (a vegan) found that the D2 made him nauseous and wasn't helping, so he is now on the D3 and doing fine.  He concedes to use the animal form, as his body requires it.  (Btw, he is also a farmer, and has low D  levels despite spending his days outdoors.)

  • PatchAdams
    PatchAdams Member Posts: 271
    Phil64 said:

    Questions
    Do you get this test through your oncologist?

    Is it part of the blood work they typically do?

    Where do you go to buy the supplements?

    West Michigan is low on sunlight too and being treated with Erbitux the recomendation (at least I think???) is to stay out of the sun...

    Vit D3

    First, Phil, I have to ask for the test.  I buy my supplements at Walmart.  Spring Valley (dark green bottle) is a highly respected brand.  The owner purchased the company after having a child with serious health issues. 

     

    I live in the deep south and even with spending time outside every day when it's not cold, my levels remained low.  I read a study that said by age 45, people begin to not absorb and use Vit. D3 from the sun well. By age 75, it drops by another 50%.  The study said that in England, mid day exposure of 20 minutes for a 45 year old person would result in an increased reading of 15ng.  An older person would increase their serum levels by less than 8ng.  

     

    Older adults have inefficient cutaneous vitamin D photosynthesis.  In the elderly, their thinned epidermis may contain less 7-dehydrocholesterol, the cell membrane constituent that UVB converts to pre-vitamin D3.

  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member

    Vit D3

    First, Phil, I have to ask for the test.  I buy my supplements at Walmart.  Spring Valley (dark green bottle) is a highly respected brand.  The owner purchased the company after having a child with serious health issues. 

     

    I live in the deep south and even with spending time outside every day when it's not cold, my levels remained low.  I read a study that said by age 45, people begin to not absorb and use Vit. D3 from the sun well. By age 75, it drops by another 50%.  The study said that in England, mid day exposure of 20 minutes for a 45 year old person would result in an increased reading of 15ng.  An older person would increase their serum levels by less than 8ng.  

     

    Older adults have inefficient cutaneous vitamin D photosynthesis.  In the elderly, their thinned epidermis may contain less 7-dehydrocholesterol, the cell membrane constituent that UVB converts to pre-vitamin D3.

    How do you know if the vitamin or supplement brand you're

    using is truly of quality with no unnecessary,harmful ingredients, like silica, and with an accurate doseage? I've come across one site that you have to pay to get reports;haven't done so there.Any suggestions?

  • RobinKaye
    RobinKaye Member Posts: 93
    coloCan said:

    How do you know if the vitamin or supplement brand you're

    using is truly of quality with no unnecessary,harmful ingredients, like silica, and with an accurate doseage? I've come across one site that you have to pay to get reports;haven't done so there.Any suggestions?

    Ratings for D

    You might be referring to Consumer Lab.  I can't copy and paste (tried) but will be happy to tell you if a paticular 

    brand is approved and what the comments are.  They tend to analyze the more common brands, not the 'high-end' and specialty type brands.

     

    Robin

     

  • RobinKaye
    RobinKaye Member Posts: 93
    RobinKaye said:

    Ratings for D

    You might be referring to Consumer Lab.  I can't copy and paste (tried) but will be happy to tell you if a paticular 

    brand is approved and what the comments are.  They tend to analyze the more common brands, not the 'high-end' and specialty type brands.

     

    Robin

     

    ...one more thing

    If you (or anyone) sends me a private message with your email I'd be happy to send you the list.  

     

    Robin

  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    RobinKaye said:

    ...one more thing

    If you (or anyone) sends me a private message with your email I'd be happy to send you the list.  

     

    Robin

    yeah...

    that was the place i had tried but decided not to partake.....steve

  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,300 Member
    abrub said:

    I get mine done at my PCP or onc

    and the supplements I take are OTC.  However, your MD will give you an Rx version, if your counts are low.  That will be a high potency (50,000iu) capsule of vitamin D2 to be taken once or twice a week.  My body didn't respond to that either.  I need to get the D3.  After a year on 2 of those/week plus 2,000iu D3 daily, my counts were still low.  An integrative med MD at Memorial Sloan Kettering set me up with just using D3, and in 4 weeks had my levels normal (20,000iu D3/day for 2 weeks, followed by 10,000iu/day for life.  We tried lower, but then my counts dropped.)  However, high dose D3 is not available as an Rx, only D2.

    Our bodies respond differently to different things.  For me, vitamin D is a problem.  I can't make it from sunlight, and the plant form (D2) has no effect.  For other people, sunlight and/or D2 work fine.  My Brother-in-law (a vegan) found that the D2 made him nauseous and wasn't helping, so he is now on the D3 and doing fine.  He concedes to use the animal form, as his body requires it.  (Btw, he is also a farmer, and has low D  levels despite spending his days outdoors.)

    Rx scam

    Many have found that the expensive 50,000 iu D2 Rx's don't work for them.  It's crazy when inexpensive 10,000 and 50,000 iu D3 supplements are available.  

  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900
    John23 said:

    Peter –

     

    It should be also noted, that Vitamin D is produced by your own body when it is exposed to the sun for more than 15 minutes.

     

    Your body’s process to  enable that conversion is more important than the vitamin itself!

     

    Taking supplements is not the answer; using your gift of your body’s ability to take from life, what is needed to support your life, is (it’s part of our basic design; the further we stray from that, the more we suffer).

     

    Best wishes,

     

    John

    thanks john, out of debate comes truth

    John and all,

    I for one tried the sun, it did not work. Some vitamin d is converted in the kidney and liver to the active form. If you’re on chemo that process is significantly reduced.

    My understanding is getting vitamin d while on chemo from the sun in difficult. Have you seen the movie "mission impossible”, at least for me, I needed 10,000 per day.

    If you opinion was left unchallenged, vitamin d will still be considered optional, which for me it is not.

    The answer is in measuring the vitamin d levels and also knowing your vitamin d genetic characterizes. We can discuss these points later, the education on these essential points a few clicks away.

    Relying on the sun for this essential vitamin while most are locked away in hospitals or in office or doing jobs is committing them to low vitamin d levels and what that implies!!!!

    Just read all the research, please read it all. I have read heaps, vitamin d is so essential; I started suggesting its benefits years ago.

    I have posted so much on here about vitamin d, many have. The research keeps on coming out. But opinions for some don't change, which is fine.

    We have free will, and must make our own minds up our health. Vitamin d is a great example to a newbie cancer patient. It’s still not widely advised by oncologists. That lack of advice a true reflection of the level of care they can deliver given the constraints of the medical system patients exist within.

    Having good vitamin d levels is so essential for immune function. It’s the first thing they measure when I went for my vaccine.

    I don't mean to be argumentative, but effective supplementation, not what most of us do or have done, is essential to beating this illness or maximizing our potential to do so or giving us the best quality and quantity of life possible.

    What’s effective should be determined by comprehensive tests that are beyond the reach of conventional medical treatments available to most.

    Our biology is what it is; its fundamental requirements are not met by our lifestyles, and certainly not by our conventional medical system. Our society’s health issues are clear reflection of this fact. TCM will not fix most of the preventable lifestyle problems, a very healthy diet and lifestyle with exercise will go a long way to fixing or preventing most, cancer included. Most biological weaknesses after the lifestyle is in place can be addressed by effective supplementation.

    I have just expressed only my opinion. We can just do our best. If my comment causes stress forget it, nothing is more important than peace of mind.

    If you read the vitamin d papers and think its good, well ask your oncologist?

    If your oncologist says “yes” then take it with a smile, great. You have also shown your oncologist you are a thoughtful interested cancer patient invested in your own survival.

    If the oncologist says, no. Well then you still decide you care in my opinion. I kept on taking mine when my oncologist said it’s useless. I have had 6 oncologists, I pray my remission continues, I doubt it would have if I had stayed with oncologist number 1.

    Either way by making an informed medical decision is essential to good health and our survival.

    The vitamin d issue highlights the weakness of our current conventional oncology practice like no other issue. This debate is really positive.

    Good health to everyone.

    Hugs,

    Pete

    ps some of our friends on erbitux cannot go out in the sun, so what then, oh and we also have the melanoma risk to consider. I love the sun, but I am not going to increase my cancer risk. Vitamin D on iherb, was on sale for $5 per year for a bottle. I have heaps, if you want it and cannot afford it, pm me.

    pps so are we arguing the principle or the practical. Oh you need to take 4 drops each morning, that costs $5 per year. Are we really having this debate. Alas the answer is yes, and thats the reason why our survival statistics for this disease and most cancers are so heart breaking. Always with the best intentions.

  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278
    tanstaafl said:

    Rx scam

    Many have found that the expensive 50,000 iu D2 Rx's don't work for them.  It's crazy when inexpensive 10,000 and 50,000 iu D3 supplements are available.  

    This is a site that has reasonably priced vitamins.  https://www.nuvalife.com

     

    They also have many promotional codes they send to your email.

     

    Best Always, mike

  • YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590
    Miss your research

    Thanks for checking in.  Hope your life is on the mend.