Well......Looks like port is coming out *****UPDATE******

mukamom
mukamom Member Posts: 402
edited November 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
one way or another.


Robert developed an infection with his port last week, so he was put on antibiotic, and the doc looks at it tomorrow. The skin is eroding away even as we speak. There is just a small strip of skin left across the top half, so it looks like it will have to be taken out, like it or not. I'd bet my last dollar there will be no treatment tommorrow. And looking at surgery in the next week or so.

I only hope the treatments have knocked down the tumors enough that they won't think they have won the lottery.

CRAP

Comments

  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278
    Sending our thoughts and Prayers!
    We are sending our thoughts and prayers to you and Robert for a speedy recovery.

    We have a port to reduce our risk to infection, and still there are risks.

    Best Always, mike
  • fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467
    Ugh
    Sorry to hear about the port problem. As Mike said we have ports to prevent infection and allow for easier and more efficient access to a major artery. I am sorry you are having these problems. Hopeful that there will be a better result / outcome from the surgery. ((HUGS))
  • k44454445
    k44454445 Member Posts: 494
    oh
    darn. hate to hear that there is a problem with the port. prayers coming your way
    judy
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215
    Have you talked to the dr
    Have you talked to the dr about putting in a picc line in the meantime. It is a very simple proceedure where no anethesia is required.
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    That stinks
    Just what you don't need having to have surgery at this time. Pray everything goes well.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,715 Member
    Update
    Do you have an update and what did doctor say?

    Kim
  • mukamom
    mukamom Member Posts: 402

    Update
    Do you have an update and what did doctor say?

    Kim

    We have a
    consult with a surgeon @ UAB on Tues. His doc put an ASAP/URGENT on this sx, and if all goes well he could have it out by next week. Robert has contracted a upper respitory infection and bonchitis a couple of days ago, and he is miserable..has slept the days away.

    The port itself is still draining nasty stuff, and looks like it could pop out at anytime.

    Keep your fingers crossed that we can get a quick sx date!

    Angela
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425
    mukamom said:

    We have a
    consult with a surgeon @ UAB on Tues. His doc put an ASAP/URGENT on this sx, and if all goes well he could have it out by next week. Robert has contracted a upper respitory infection and bonchitis a couple of days ago, and he is miserable..has slept the days away.

    The port itself is still draining nasty stuff, and looks like it could pop out at anytime.

    Keep your fingers crossed that we can get a quick sx date!

    Angela

    Surprised they'd wait till
    Surprised they'd wait till Tuesday!!! Have they put him on anti-biotics in the mean time??
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    mukamom said:

    We have a
    consult with a surgeon @ UAB on Tues. His doc put an ASAP/URGENT on this sx, and if all goes well he could have it out by next week. Robert has contracted a upper respitory infection and bonchitis a couple of days ago, and he is miserable..has slept the days away.

    The port itself is still draining nasty stuff, and looks like it could pop out at anytime.

    Keep your fingers crossed that we can get a quick sx date!

    Angela

    Dear Angela
    Given that Robert has had this infection well into weeks, given your description of it and now has an upper respitory infection/bronchitis please watch his temp and hydration. If anything even slightly looks off consider taking him to emergency room.

    I have to say that I am very surprised not only that his doc has waited all this long, but also that an ASAP/URGENT need for surgery doesn't get you more than a consult on next Tues.

    If you read Doc Ray's post, he also got an infection in his port and they removed it almost immediately.

    I think this is one of those times when you need to take a strong position that the port comes out NOW. It isn't just the potential delay of chemo that is worrisome. Major infections can be life threatening.

    I don't mean to scare you, but this sounds very very serious given your description of how things look and how Robert is feeling.

    I sure hope that all this gets resolved soonest and Robert is on the mend quickly.

    Hugs,

    Marie who loves kitties
  • mukamom
    mukamom Member Posts: 402

    Dear Angela
    Given that Robert has had this infection well into weeks, given your description of it and now has an upper respitory infection/bronchitis please watch his temp and hydration. If anything even slightly looks off consider taking him to emergency room.

    I have to say that I am very surprised not only that his doc has waited all this long, but also that an ASAP/URGENT need for surgery doesn't get you more than a consult on next Tues.

    If you read Doc Ray's post, he also got an infection in his port and they removed it almost immediately.

    I think this is one of those times when you need to take a strong position that the port comes out NOW. It isn't just the potential delay of chemo that is worrisome. Major infections can be life threatening.

    I don't mean to scare you, but this sounds very very serious given your description of how things look and how Robert is feeling.

    I sure hope that all this gets resolved soonest and Robert is on the mend quickly.

    Hugs,

    Marie who loves kitties

    You know, Marie
    I thought the same thing...why is this dragging on?? Either they did not want to "interrupt" the trial, or the doc is too busy to take extra steps. Neither sets well with me.

    We did go to emergency last nite, because of a fever along with the cough, and shortness of breath. When the ER doc heard his port was infected, I thought he was going to yank it out right then. I explained we would be seeing a surgeon on Tues, and he calmned down.

    I am becoming more and more uncomfortable with this "cutting edge" teaching hospital. Supposed to be one of the finest cancer centers in the SE, but not much has impressed me.
    However, the trial drug has been working, and Robert wants to stay (at least for now).

    Thanks

    Angela
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    mukamom said:

    You know, Marie
    I thought the same thing...why is this dragging on?? Either they did not want to "interrupt" the trial, or the doc is too busy to take extra steps. Neither sets well with me.

    We did go to emergency last nite, because of a fever along with the cough, and shortness of breath. When the ER doc heard his port was infected, I thought he was going to yank it out right then. I explained we would be seeing a surgeon on Tues, and he calmned down.

    I am becoming more and more uncomfortable with this "cutting edge" teaching hospital. Supposed to be one of the finest cancer centers in the SE, but not much has impressed me.
    However, the trial drug has been working, and Robert wants to stay (at least for now).

    Thanks

    Angela

    Angela
    It's a tough spot to be in for sure.
    I'm sure Tuesday can't come soon enough. I'm glad the trial is working...
  • mukamom
    mukamom Member Posts: 402
    PhillieG said:

    Angela
    It's a tough spot to be in for sure.
    I'm sure Tuesday can't come soon enough. I'm glad the trial is working...

    Port is out
    We saw the surgeon on Tues @ 8am and by 8:45 it was out. Did the proceedure right in the office! Local anethesthia(sp?), snip, snip and it was out. Robert does have a hole the size of a 50 cent piece, and about a half inch deep. Pack it and cover it twice a day, and it should heal from the inside out.

    Treatment will resume the week of Dec 10th, beginning at square one in the trial. Long infusion times to start...6-7 hours, and then it will drop back to 3 or so.

    We are enjoying the break, trying not to worry about the what ifs. Scan at the end of Dec.

    Angela
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    mukamom said:

    Port is out
    We saw the surgeon on Tues @ 8am and by 8:45 it was out. Did the proceedure right in the office! Local anethesthia(sp?), snip, snip and it was out. Robert does have a hole the size of a 50 cent piece, and about a half inch deep. Pack it and cover it twice a day, and it should heal from the inside out.

    Treatment will resume the week of Dec 10th, beginning at square one in the trial. Long infusion times to start...6-7 hours, and then it will drop back to 3 or so.

    We are enjoying the break, trying not to worry about the what ifs. Scan at the end of Dec.

    Angela

    The Very Best...
    You both deserve it so much:)
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624
    mukamom said:

    Port is out
    We saw the surgeon on Tues @ 8am and by 8:45 it was out. Did the proceedure right in the office! Local anethesthia(sp?), snip, snip and it was out. Robert does have a hole the size of a 50 cent piece, and about a half inch deep. Pack it and cover it twice a day, and it should heal from the inside out.

    Treatment will resume the week of Dec 10th, beginning at square one in the trial. Long infusion times to start...6-7 hours, and then it will drop back to 3 or so.

    We are enjoying the break, trying not to worry about the what ifs. Scan at the end of Dec.

    Angela

    Wow
    That was a quick snip snip. I hope you and Robert do enjoy the break between now and the 10th. May his healing be quick and pain free!!
    Love to you both,
    Winter Marie