vitamin c iv and mistletoe

Fucc
Fucc Member Posts: 92
I am 36 years old and was diagnosed with stage iv cc in aprilmof this year i had a colon resection and liver resction. I finally startedfolfox6 last week. I recently consulted with a natriopathic oncologist about anything I can do in addition to chemo. She has recommended some supplements as well as mistletoe injections and vitamin c on my off weeks from folfox. She was very convincing that the vitamin c iv can be helpful when used during and after chemo. Has anyone here had any experience with this? I am really curiousntomsee if anyone has tried it, whether they think it is helpful and worthwhile.

Comments

  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624
    Many have tried it and many still do it
    I myself haven't and won't, I can't afford to waste money on an unknown and probable no. From the Mayo clinic: The use of vitamin C in alternative cancer treatment isn't new. Proponents claim that large doses of vitamin C are toxic to cancer cells. However, there is no reliable evidence gathered in human studies to support this theory.

    Studies in the 1970s first suggested that large doses of supplemental vitamin C might be of some benefit in the treatment of cancer. But these studies were later found to have serious flaws. Subsequent well-designed, randomized, controlled trials of vitamin C and cancer found no such treatment benefit.

    More recently, vitamin C given intravenously (IV) has been touted to have different effects than vitamin C taken orally. This has prompted renewed interest in the use of IV vitamin C as a cancer therapy. However, there is still no evidence that vitamin C has any effect on cancer. Until clinical trials are completed, it's premature to determine what role, if any, IV vitamin C may play in the treatment of cancer.

    Mistletoe as well is unproven, but if you decide to take it, do check with your oncologist if you are doing chemo, they are not sure of the interaction of mistletoe and chemo and I think would recommend against it while ON chemo.
    Winter Marie
  • manwithnoname
    manwithnoname Member Posts: 402
    Mistletoe extract
    Is part of standard cancer treatment in Germany and many other European countries. many clinical trials have been done with it.

    http://www.iscador.com/clinical-studies/index.aspx

    And for CRC; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19883529
  • atlanticcanada
    atlanticcanada Member Posts: 74

    Mistletoe extract
    Is part of standard cancer treatment in Germany and many other European countries. many clinical trials have been done with it.

    http://www.iscador.com/clinical-studies/index.aspx

    And for CRC; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19883529

    mistletoe
    a friend of mine did mistletoe with chemotherapy and did very well. fewer side effects. my daughter plans on doing it also. she will be taking turmeric also , she started on turmeric and boswelli over 2 months ago , before colon resection and all of her symptoms went away.of course she changed diet too so all of this must have helped .
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,300 Member
    old myths
    Note: I do not claim vitamin C as a stand alone cancer treatment. Based on various data, I do view it as one essential prong of my wife's immunochemo treatment and well being, among several.

    vitamin C given intravenously (IV) has been touted to have different effects than vitamin C taken orally
    Fundamental facts related to this have been documented and published to varying degrees over 2/3 of a century ago. Pre-internet, ignorance and (missed) "rediscovery" seem to be recurring possibilities.

    Studies in the 1970s ...were later found to have serious flaws. Subsequent well-designed, randomized, controlled trials of vitamin C and cancer found no such treatment benefit.
    There were no "well designed controlled trials". The common misperception derives from (biased) media driven ignorance of particulars, scientific illiteracy or inexperience of the population, including most doctors.

    Proponents claim that large doses of vitamin C are toxic to cancer cells.
    Published NIH preclinical data clearly show the toxicity to cancer cells. Practically, it has been long recognized by proponents that adjuvants were possible, necessary and desirable.

    However, there is still no evidence that vitamin C has any effect on cancer.
    There is little high quality data concerning therapeutic quantities of vitamin C. Hundreds of government financed studies always seem to miss use of therapeutic quantities and combinations across the last century.

    Until clinical trials are completed, it's premature to determine what role, if any, IV vitamin C may play in the treatment of cancer.
    Some people are more technically adept or socially self sufficient and may not desire or require as much hand holding or imposed "guidance" as others.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624

    mistletoe
    a friend of mine did mistletoe with chemotherapy and did very well. fewer side effects. my daughter plans on doing it also. she will be taking turmeric also , she started on turmeric and boswelli over 2 months ago , before colon resection and all of her symptoms went away.of course she changed diet too so all of this must have helped .

    side effects
    I think again with side effects it's going to go good for some, not so well for others, it's a [email protected] shoot I believe.
    My side effects were few, I never had nausea (but I did occasionally have a marijuana truffle)I never lost a pound (I kind of wish I did)and I went to school everyday. No one in my neighborhood had any idea I was having chemo unless I mentioned it, and they seemed full of disbelief, I wasn't tired or exhausted, just occasional diarrhea which I have had since age 21 due to IBS.
    I never took a supplement and hadn't changed diet and still had few side effects (the cold side effect, the jaw pain on first bite from the oxy, and slight tingling in toes which have all gone away I did have). I do think changing diet however is a good idea, just really haven't got around to it quite yet, though I keep promising myself.
    As for symptoms of colon cancer, I didn't have any except for a side pain which went away well before chemo or surgery. I was up and around in two weeks doing my housework after a 10 hour colon/liver/ureter resection. Again, no supplements, no change in diet.
    What this means to me, is DON'T follow what I did, I truly believe a healthy diet (which includes meat, veggies, fruit and dairy)is good for you as well as exercise, but I think it just goes to show, sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, it is what it is for each individual.
    Again I think it's all half of one and half a dozen of the other. Everyone is different when it comes to chemo and surgery. And if it makes you feel better by doing it, and it's not dangerous (i.e. IV Vitamin C, proper dose of mistletoe), and you have the money to spend, go for it, but tell your ONCOLOGIST everything that you are doing.
    From the American Cancer Society on their Mistletoe page: "Potentially dangerous interactions with conventional medicines are possible, particularly with some medications that are used for high blood pressure, irregular heart rhythm, and heart failure. Always tell your doctor and pharmacist about any herbs you are taking."
    You want to let your oncologist every herb and supplement. That is the most important thing I'd like people to understand.
    Winter Marie
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900

    Mistletoe extract
    Is part of standard cancer treatment in Germany and many other European countries. many clinical trials have been done with it.

    http://www.iscador.com/clinical-studies/index.aspx

    And for CRC; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19883529

    thanks tony
    i am doing c and mistletoe in germany, leaving to try these and removab in 5 days.

    i pray i find a cure, without hard chemo. they are also offering light chemo and hyperthermia now i have spots to cook.

    i think the german are ahead of the west in these areas and it reflects there legal environment more than their genius.

    hugs,
    pete

    ps i have seen, the mistletoe studies before, my denmark alt doc is not a fan mistletoe for me. neither is ukrain for that matter.

    but i did a few months of mistletoeand dropped it as cea continued to rise, but i did not use high doses
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900
    tanstaafl said:

    old myths
    Note: I do not claim vitamin C as a stand alone cancer treatment. Based on various data, I do view it as one essential prong of my wife's immunochemo treatment and well being, among several.

    vitamin C given intravenously (IV) has been touted to have different effects than vitamin C taken orally
    Fundamental facts related to this have been documented and published to varying degrees over 2/3 of a century ago. Pre-internet, ignorance and (missed) "rediscovery" seem to be recurring possibilities.

    Studies in the 1970s ...were later found to have serious flaws. Subsequent well-designed, randomized, controlled trials of vitamin C and cancer found no such treatment benefit.
    There were no "well designed controlled trials". The common misperception derives from (biased) media driven ignorance of particulars, scientific illiteracy or inexperience of the population, including most doctors.

    Proponents claim that large doses of vitamin C are toxic to cancer cells.
    Published NIH preclinical data clearly show the toxicity to cancer cells. Practically, it has been long recognized by proponents that adjuvants were possible, necessary and desirable.

    However, there is still no evidence that vitamin C has any effect on cancer.
    There is little high quality data concerning therapeutic quantities of vitamin C. Hundreds of government financed studies always seem to miss use of therapeutic quantities and combinations across the last century.

    Until clinical trials are completed, it's premature to determine what role, if any, IV vitamin C may play in the treatment of cancer.
    Some people are more technically adept or socially self sufficient and may not desire or require as much hand holding or imposed "guidance" as others.

    i got a stack of papers on iv c
    thanks tans,

    i am resting today, a few years ago some thought the world was flat. go figure.

    the issue is money and medicine.
    now i got my port back, i will do my own iv c, about $15 per day for 60grams.

    alt therapies don't have to be expensive, they just need time and commitment.
    the expense is where the profit is for doctors all types.

    that said r and d is costly and i don't mind paying doctor for quality care that gets results.

    also restarting liposomal c.

    hugs,
    pete
  • keewee
    keewee Member Posts: 1
    NEW Study shows Intravenous VItamin C works
    I was just diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer a few days ago. I plan to tell my doctor that this will be a part of my treatment.

    Here's a just published reference to show that Intravenous Vitamin C (IVC) works!

    http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/386195/20120920/iv-vitamin-c-achieves-clinical-success-prostate.htm#.UGhkcaMlJml

    This link is to a study that shows that it does no harm:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898816/


    I'm JUST getting started, so I don't know how quickly I will be starting chemo, but I plan to do the Vitamin C in parallel.
  • traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773
    currently doing iv c and mistletoe
    I'm stage IV, 5 years post-dx with my 3rd recurrance. Did 18 rounds XELIRI last year and one tumor did not go away, although it was really knocked down. the other 2 tumors are gone. Been on XELIRI for a couple of months now and doing iv c and mistletoe. CEA has gone down but not as fast as previously. Whether IV C works on the cancer or not, at least I feel much better after getting irinotecan (i'm not as nauseous and have more energy) and my blood work is much better, so to me it's worth it.

    I may have to stop these for a bit as I am scheduled for surgery to remove the tumor on Oct 18. BTW, my tumor is a lymph node near my rectum. I've always had peritoneal mets, nothing to liver or lungs. Hope this helps.
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,300 Member
    traci43 said:

    currently doing iv c and mistletoe
    I'm stage IV, 5 years post-dx with my 3rd recurrance. Did 18 rounds XELIRI last year and one tumor did not go away, although it was really knocked down. the other 2 tumors are gone. Been on XELIRI for a couple of months now and doing iv c and mistletoe. CEA has gone down but not as fast as previously. Whether IV C works on the cancer or not, at least I feel much better after getting irinotecan (i'm not as nauseous and have more energy) and my blood work is much better, so to me it's worth it.

    I may have to stop these for a bit as I am scheduled for surgery to remove the tumor on Oct 18. BTW, my tumor is a lymph node near my rectum. I've always had peritoneal mets, nothing to liver or lungs. Hope this helps.

    thanks and peri-op CIM
    Thanks for the IV vitamin C - irinotecan mention. Any detail is particularly important in this less generally familiar area of IV vitamin C use.

    Have you considered perioperative cimetidine use like the 7 - 30 days trials in the medical literature with dramatic risk reduction in recurrence related to surgical immunosuppression?
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900
    traci43 said:

    currently doing iv c and mistletoe
    I'm stage IV, 5 years post-dx with my 3rd recurrance. Did 18 rounds XELIRI last year and one tumor did not go away, although it was really knocked down. the other 2 tumors are gone. Been on XELIRI for a couple of months now and doing iv c and mistletoe. CEA has gone down but not as fast as previously. Whether IV C works on the cancer or not, at least I feel much better after getting irinotecan (i'm not as nauseous and have more energy) and my blood work is much better, so to me it's worth it.

    I may have to stop these for a bit as I am scheduled for surgery to remove the tumor on Oct 18. BTW, my tumor is a lymph node near my rectum. I've always had peritoneal mets, nothing to liver or lungs. Hope this helps.

    thanks traci an keewee
    just when I was getting a little disappointed in all the alternatives.

    been hammering vit c the day my cea started rising, now my crp is so low.

    my onc said your cea is high but your inflamation is so low.

    don't stop what you are doing.

    making some liposomal vitamin c to take to germany.

    hugs,

    Pete
  • DianaCEO
    DianaCEO Member Posts: 9

    thanks tony
    i am doing c and mistletoe in germany, leaving to try these and removab in 5 days.

    i pray i find a cure, without hard chemo. they are also offering light chemo and hyperthermia now i have spots to cook.

    i think the german are ahead of the west in these areas and it reflects there legal environment more than their genius.

    hugs,
    pete

    ps i have seen, the mistletoe studies before, my denmark alt doc is not a fan mistletoe for me. neither is ukrain for that matter.

    but i did a few months of mistletoeand dropped it as cea continued to rise, but i did not use high doses

    I too am in Germany
    Tony,

    I am in Germany and I have received the Vit C but no mistletoe, I did ask for it and was told no. The Vit C brought my OV Tumor from 4.5 cm to 1.5 which is normal. I felt better every time I had a Vit C IV so for me that was enough to pay fot the treatment.

    I had surgery this past week and start chemo with hyperthermia in two weeks.

    I am also receiving Dendritic Cells. I know I would have never recovered on chemo alone at Stage 4.
  • Archimedia
    Archimedia Member Posts: 1
    Clinic in Germany
    @ DianaCEO and Pete
    Could you send me the clinics in Germany?
    I am trying to find a clinic or doctor in Germany that is willing follow the protocol of the University of Kansas Research Trial. (Same as the Jefferson one)
    All the ones I have contacted do give Vit C IV dosis with a maximum of 15 mg, research shows that with aggressive cancer types like my Dads 125 mg are needed...
  • Amazon77
    Amazon77 Member Posts: 2

    i got a stack of papers on iv c
    thanks tans,

    i am resting today, a few years ago some thought the world was flat. go figure.

    the issue is money and medicine.
    now i got my port back, i will do my own iv c, about $15 per day for 60grams.

    alt therapies don't have to be expensive, they just need time and commitment.
    the expense is where the profit is for doctors all types.

    that said r and d is costly and i don't mind paying doctor for quality care that gets results.

    also restarting liposomal c.

    hugs,
    pete

    Vit C

    Hi , have you done your own treatments yet? 

    I am looking on what to buy and it is almost an emergency. I refused treatments with IV C two years ago simply because I could not afford it.  Cancer advanced. I do go to cancer clinic in Irvine in Ca, USA, but i could only do so little and I refulsed their trearmnts as I could not pay. I  will do my own IVs when I get right supply. I heard there are too much of vit C solutions that are GMO , ( pestisedes corn from China) I did start on misletou subcut. though

    Do you know a reputable supplier of vit C for IV infusion?

    Thanks

     

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,643 Member
    Amazon77 said:

    Vit C

    Hi , have you done your own treatments yet? 

    I am looking on what to buy and it is almost an emergency. I refused treatments with IV C two years ago simply because I could not afford it.  Cancer advanced. I do go to cancer clinic in Irvine in Ca, USA, but i could only do so little and I refulsed their trearmnts as I could not pay. I  will do my own IVs when I get right supply. I heard there are too much of vit C solutions that are GMO , ( pestisedes corn from China) I did start on misletou subcut. though

    Do you know a reputable supplier of vit C for IV infusion?

    Thanks

     

    Hello and welcome to the forum

    Sadly this is an old post - 2012 - and Pete has passed on, along with several others who have psoted on this thread. 

    Maybe you could start a new thread here on the forum home page LINK and get more info from newer members. 

    Tru

  • josephkatz
    josephkatz Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2020 #17
    Vitamin C IV PharmaLife Laboratories from Europe

    Vitamin C Intravenous from PharmaLife i know that has 10 grams (10000mg) /bottle 100ml. I paid 30US$ for each 10000mg infusion.

    Many naturopaths use Vitamin C IV from these laboratories in their alternative therapies.