2bhealed and Scouty

Nana b
Nana b Member Posts: 3,030
I miss you ladies and think of you often! Big Hug!

Comments

  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900
    I hope you girls are well and having fun
    Lovely post Raquel.

    Hugs,
    Pete
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122
    Missing those two !

    I hope they're not eating a bunch of junk-food
    and gaining a lot of weight.
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834
    Where are they?
    I remember the names well as people who helped me early in my own journey. I heard through an odd route of an unsolicited offer of alternative treatments that they had been 'scared off' the site as it was unwelcoming to those with alternative views to managing their cancers- not sure how much truth there is in that? I ahe been intermittent on this site for 8 years now and names like these trigger strange memories of hard times- makes me wonder what happened to all the others on the site 8 years ago?

    steve
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122
    steved said:

    Where are they?
    I remember the names well as people who helped me early in my own journey. I heard through an odd route of an unsolicited offer of alternative treatments that they had been 'scared off' the site as it was unwelcoming to those with alternative views to managing their cancers- not sure how much truth there is in that? I ahe been intermittent on this site for 8 years now and names like these trigger strange memories of hard times- makes me wonder what happened to all the others on the site 8 years ago?

    steve

    steve -
    Re:
    "....I heard ..... ... that they had been 'scared off' the site....... "

    Not "scared off the site", but "burned out" from fighting with those
    that insist "conventional methods" are the only way to fight cancer.

    It's a difficult choice to go a different route, but it's made even more
    difficult by having well-meaning individuals tell you that there's no
    "proof" that what you are doing works at all!

    Many individuals recite the hypocrisy of the typical physician's opinion:

    If you took chemo and remain alive, you have chemo to thank.
    If you took an "alternative" and remain alive, it's sheer luck.
    If you took chemo and died of cancer anyway, you gave it the very best fight.
    If you took an alternative and died of cancer anyway, you should have done chemo.

    So far, I guess I'm one of the "lucky ones".

    I suppose by western medicine standards, both Emily and Lisa were
    also of the "lucky breed". Although they used a different modality than
    I did, they were among many that chose that route and remained alive.

    The earlier days of this website were not "alternative friendly". I had
    signed on with a different name back then, and exited almost as quickly;
    "driven off" would be a good term to use..

    I waited a year and signed back on, but decided to be a bit more
    diplomatic. I had realized somewhere along the way, that we are all
    here fighting a common disease, and not one of us desires to hear that
    what we are doing may not work; We are offended at the suggestion!

    I'm happy to promote Traditional Chinese Medicine to anyone
    that is interested in knowing more about it. There's no "push" intended,
    but I admit that I am greatly saddened when a cancer patient that
    has found that western medicine has nothing left to offer, gives up,
    rather than move on to something else.

    Limiting one's choices to a modality that is failing the individual, is
    never a great idea.

    There are indeed options other than what western medicine has
    to offer.

    Lisa (scouty), Emily (2bhealed) and myself are among the many
    that have used specific "alternative methods" to fight cancer. Most
    of the others that have found success have either moved on, or
    taken the back seat.

    I don't blame them one bit; it's a tough audience out here.

    As much desire as I (we) have to help others, we can only offer
    some knowledge and insight, and some personal experience;
    there are no guarantees in life.

    Western Medicine's credo: "First, do no harm" has somehow
    fallen by the wayside.

    Sad, isn't it.

    Best wishes to you,

    John
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,299 Member
    steved said:

    Where are they?
    I remember the names well as people who helped me early in my own journey. I heard through an odd route of an unsolicited offer of alternative treatments that they had been 'scared off' the site as it was unwelcoming to those with alternative views to managing their cancers- not sure how much truth there is in that? I ahe been intermittent on this site for 8 years now and names like these trigger strange memories of hard times- makes me wonder what happened to all the others on the site 8 years ago?

    steve

    a brief history
    There was a polarized thread that started about the Gerson diet, last Dec 7, but failed to discuss the diet's merits and shortcomings in a calm or technical manner. The thread rather focused on some members, their experiences and implied distraints. The thread was deleted after a week of contention and a lot of wasted emotional energy with real damage to the forum, including scouty and em (2bhealed) leaving after 8 and 10 years, respectively.
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753
    John23 said:

    steve -
    Re:
    "....I heard ..... ... that they had been 'scared off' the site....... "

    Not "scared off the site", but "burned out" from fighting with those
    that insist "conventional methods" are the only way to fight cancer.

    It's a difficult choice to go a different route, but it's made even more
    difficult by having well-meaning individuals tell you that there's no
    "proof" that what you are doing works at all!

    Many individuals recite the hypocrisy of the typical physician's opinion:

    If you took chemo and remain alive, you have chemo to thank.
    If you took an "alternative" and remain alive, it's sheer luck.
    If you took chemo and died of cancer anyway, you gave it the very best fight.
    If you took an alternative and died of cancer anyway, you should have done chemo.

    So far, I guess I'm one of the "lucky ones".

    I suppose by western medicine standards, both Emily and Lisa were
    also of the "lucky breed". Although they used a different modality than
    I did, they were among many that chose that route and remained alive.

    The earlier days of this website were not "alternative friendly". I had
    signed on with a different name back then, and exited almost as quickly;
    "driven off" would be a good term to use..

    I waited a year and signed back on, but decided to be a bit more
    diplomatic. I had realized somewhere along the way, that we are all
    here fighting a common disease, and not one of us desires to hear that
    what we are doing may not work; We are offended at the suggestion!

    I'm happy to promote Traditional Chinese Medicine to anyone
    that is interested in knowing more about it. There's no "push" intended,
    but I admit that I am greatly saddened when a cancer patient that
    has found that western medicine has nothing left to offer, gives up,
    rather than move on to something else.

    Limiting one's choices to a modality that is failing the individual, is
    never a great idea.

    There are indeed options other than what western medicine has
    to offer.

    Lisa (scouty), Emily (2bhealed) and myself are among the many
    that have used specific "alternative methods" to fight cancer. Most
    of the others that have found success have either moved on, or
    taken the back seat.

    I don't blame them one bit; it's a tough audience out here.

    As much desire as I (we) have to help others, we can only offer
    some knowledge and insight, and some personal experience;
    there are no guarantees in life.

    Western Medicine's credo: "First, do no harm" has somehow
    fallen by the wayside.

    Sad, isn't it.

    Best wishes to you,

    John

    personal email
    Don't some of you have their personal email, or FB, so that you could stay in touch?
    Or, maybe they just don't want to stay in touch. Sometimes that's the case....people want to move on.

    In the later days, I remember someone saying something about having "the last laugh". I thought that was very, very, unfortunate. It made me very sad, considering we (NONE OF US) have all the answers/facts regarding this hideous disease. PLEASE, everyone's body and chemistry is different. Timing is a huge factor.

    I respect anyone trying to beat this in any way they feel may be right for them. And, wouldn't it be fantastic to see humility, not arrogance, on EVERYONE's part.

    I guess, wherever there are people, there will always be feuds and I suspect this will go on a while, yet. Some people thrive on stirring things up and running of Thee mouth (just like in the non-cancer world). I just came here to give and receive support, no matter what. I like to hear about all options (but in an intelligent, supportive manner). But it is very difficult when someone "knows it all". Very risky business, imo. I don't value know-it-alls whatsoever, because I am tuning them out so fast. Life is too short any way you slice it.
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425
    tanstaafl said:

    a brief history
    There was a polarized thread that started about the Gerson diet, last Dec 7, but failed to discuss the diet's merits and shortcomings in a calm or technical manner. The thread rather focused on some members, their experiences and implied distraints. The thread was deleted after a week of contention and a lot of wasted emotional energy with real damage to the forum, including scouty and em (2bhealed) leaving after 8 and 10 years, respectively.

    I miss them too.

    I miss them too.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111
    Leaving:
    If someone wants to stop posting that is their decision. I, too, was deeply offended by the "I'll have the last laugh" comment because their individual decision on treatment was different and worked for them. Being passionate is one thing, being offensive is another. Enough said.

    John23 - I truly admire your passion and sharing and always, wishing everyone continued health. I may not say much, but I do read your posts.

    Tina
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111
    janie1 said:

    personal email
    Don't some of you have their personal email, or FB, so that you could stay in touch?
    Or, maybe they just don't want to stay in touch. Sometimes that's the case....people want to move on.

    In the later days, I remember someone saying something about having "the last laugh". I thought that was very, very, unfortunate. It made me very sad, considering we (NONE OF US) have all the answers/facts regarding this hideous disease. PLEASE, everyone's body and chemistry is different. Timing is a huge factor.

    I respect anyone trying to beat this in any way they feel may be right for them. And, wouldn't it be fantastic to see humility, not arrogance, on EVERYONE's part.

    I guess, wherever there are people, there will always be feuds and I suspect this will go on a while, yet. Some people thrive on stirring things up and running of Thee mouth (just like in the non-cancer world). I just came here to give and receive support, no matter what. I like to hear about all options (but in an intelligent, supportive manner). But it is very difficult when someone "knows it all". Very risky business, imo. I don't value know-it-alls whatsoever, because I am tuning them out so fast. Life is too short any way you slice it.

    Janie1:
    Well said.

    Tina
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    I can tell about Emily
    Emily is on facebook and doing well.

    *hugs*
    Gail
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030
    tootsie1 said:

    I can tell about Emily
    Emily is on facebook and doing well.

    *hugs*
    Gail

    I didn't mean to start up
    I didn't mean to start up the old conversation on why they left, I just wanted to hello and hope you are doing well...!!
  • toyfox
    toyfox Member Posts: 158 Member
    Miss them too
    I miss them too...just glad they were still posting when
    I joined....learned so much from them. I still go back and
    read old posts.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    Nana b said:

    I didn't mean to start up
    I didn't mean to start up the old conversation on why they left, I just wanted to hello and hope you are doing well...!!

    Hi Raquel...
    "I didn't mean to start up the old conversation on why they left"
    Are you new here? :-)
    I've been in contact for the most part. They are doing very well.
    -phil...
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624
    PhillieG said:

    Hi Raquel...
    "I didn't mean to start up the old conversation on why they left"
    Are you new here? :-)
    I've been in contact for the most part. They are doing very well.
    -phil...

    LOL
    LOL, that was too cute
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030
    PhillieG said:

    Hi Raquel...
    "I didn't mean to start up the old conversation on why they left"
    Are you new here? :-)
    I've been in contact for the most part. They are doing very well.
    -phil...

    Funny Phil! But you look
    Funny Phil! But you look new....and refreshed in your pic!