Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

Robotic Assisted Kidney Nephrectomy

MH1148
MH1148 Member Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in Kidney Cancer #1
Hello I’m a 63 year old female. I just had a left Kidney Robotic Assisted Radical Nephrectomy. Due to a mass, measuring 4x3.8x3.6 cm. I was in the hospital for two days and sent home on the third. My mass was found by accident when an ultrasound was done on my stomach and then an MRI was done on my Kidney. The results on my pathology showed that I had a Clear Cell Renal Carcinoma, Fuhrman nuclear grade 2. Thank God the tumor was limited to the kidney and I don’t have to have any other treatment other than a CT scan in six months. I have been at home trying to walk as much as possible every day and drinking lots of water also, just like everyone on this discussion Board. I do think about the possibility of cancer cell spreading to my right kidney, but I’m going to try to not think about that. This is why I want to go back to work. I called my urologist and ask when I could return to work and he said it’s up to me if I feel like I could return to work. I do accounts receivable and enter cash deposits, so I’m pretty much sitting down. I wonder how long should I stay home after this surgery. I still do hurt, but from what I have been reading on the web, it takes quite a long time for the pain to be gone. So I’m not sure if I should stay home another week (making it three weeks after surgery) or go back to work. I know everyone is different, but could anyone give me an idea as to how long before they went back to work after the surgery?

Maria

Comments

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,358 **
    Back to work
    Maria,

    You should be able to go back and do your job in another week. The question is can you do it 40 hours per week. Hope you have some flexability to take it a little easier the first few weeks as you ease in back at work. I actually went back part time after 2 weeks and by 5 weeks full time with a similar history although I was much younger at the time (59). Next month I will be 69. Time goes by quickly.

    Icemantoo
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    Back to work...
    Hi Maria,

    First let me welcome you to our little club, wasn't that initiation fun??? By walking and drinking plenty of water you are doing the right things for a speedy recovery. I had a lap. rad. neph. over 2-1/2 years ago following a motorcycle accident and subsequent trip to the ER, surgery about 4 weeks later. The return to work is very much an individual choice, I returned to my desk job part time in 2 weeks and full time shortly thereafter, if your employer will work with you a bit that will help.

    Hang in there,

    Gary
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181
    garym said:

    Back to work...
    Hi Maria,

    First let me welcome you to our little club, wasn't that initiation fun??? By walking and drinking plenty of water you are doing the right things for a speedy recovery. I had a lap. rad. neph. over 2-1/2 years ago following a motorcycle accident and subsequent trip to the ER, surgery about 4 weeks later. The return to work is very much an individual choice, I returned to my desk job part time in 2 weeks and full time shortly thereafter, if your employer will work with you a bit that will help.

    Hang in there,

    Gary

    Work
    Best to you Maria. Be patient if you have some time to take off. Do something for yourself. Spend a day at the beach,(or lake). Go to a museum. Appreciate what life offers outside of home and work. You are already following Gary's rule for recovery by walking and drinking plenty of water.
  • MH1148
    MH1148 Member Posts: 4
    icemantoo said:

    Back to work
    Maria,

    You should be able to go back and do your job in another week. The question is can you do it 40 hours per week. Hope you have some flexability to take it a little easier the first few weeks as you ease in back at work. I actually went back part time after 2 weeks and by 5 weeks full time with a similar history although I was much younger at the time (59). Next month I will be 69. Time goes by quickly.

    Icemantoo

    Back to work
    Icemantoo

    Thank, you for your feedback. I was planning to return to work next week, which will make it two and a half weeks that I’ve been home since my surgery. But everyone including my boss at work and my husband thinks it’s too soon and so I’m going to take off one more week. I'm going to try full time and see how that goes.

    Maria
  • MH1148
    MH1148 Member Posts: 4
    garym said:

    Back to work...
    Hi Maria,

    First let me welcome you to our little club, wasn't that initiation fun??? By walking and drinking plenty of water you are doing the right things for a speedy recovery. I had a lap. rad. neph. over 2-1/2 years ago following a motorcycle accident and subsequent trip to the ER, surgery about 4 weeks later. The return to work is very much an individual choice, I returned to my desk job part time in 2 weeks and full time shortly thereafter, if your employer will work with you a bit that will help.

    Hang in there,

    Gary

    Back to work
    Gary
    Thank you for welcoming me on. As I said above to Icemantoo, I changed my mind and will stay home one more week. I work at a very understanding company and I know I won’t have any problem working shorter hours if it’s necessary when I do return.

    Thanks,
    Maria
  • MH1148
    MH1148 Member Posts: 4
    foxhd said:

    Work
    Best to you Maria. Be patient if you have some time to take off. Do something for yourself. Spend a day at the beach,(or lake). Go to a museum. Appreciate what life offers outside of home and work. You are already following Gary's rule for recovery by walking and drinking plenty of water.

    Back to work
    Foxhd

    Thanks for the advice about doing something for myself. I haven’t driven my car since the surgery, but I think tomorrow I will go out and get a new hair cut and maybe a little shopping for something new.

    Thanks

    Maria
  • daid1
    daid1 Member Posts: 9
    MH1148 said:

    Back to work
    Gary
    Thank you for welcoming me on. As I said above to Icemantoo, I changed my mind and will stay home one more week. I work at a very understanding company and I know I won’t have any problem working shorter hours if it’s necessary when I do return.

    Thanks,
    Maria

    Back to work

    Hi Maria

    Its good to hear your ready to back to work. I had a part. neph. on my left kidney on May 10 and I am right at a month out of surgery. I too am ready to go back but i dont think im ready yet. I work maintenance at a cheese factory and its very fast paced, lots of lifting and climbing so i think i have to wait. The bill collectors dont seem to think so though, they could care less what you have been through Lol. If you feel you are ready thats great and i hope all goes well for you, just be very careful not to over do it. I have found just the smallest tasks can make me very sore. Kudos to you and the best of luck!
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181
    daid1 said:

    Back to work

    Hi Maria

    Its good to hear your ready to back to work. I had a part. neph. on my left kidney on May 10 and I am right at a month out of surgery. I too am ready to go back but i dont think im ready yet. I work maintenance at a cheese factory and its very fast paced, lots of lifting and climbing so i think i have to wait. The bill collectors dont seem to think so though, they could care less what you have been through Lol. If you feel you are ready thats great and i hope all goes well for you, just be very careful not to over do it. I have found just the smallest tasks can make me very sore. Kudos to you and the best of luck!

    time for yourself
    Maria, I'll bet you have spent most of your life putting other peoples needs ahead of your own. Take your watch off. Just do whatever you want and enjoy the hell out of it. Go back to work when you are ready. Don't go back because you feel guilty being off.