Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

Surgery on Monday, June 4th

Vickilg
Vickilg Member Posts: 281
Hi, everyone! Monday, I go in for the removal of my entire left liver lobe. Cancer is so cruel. It waited until I was finally feeling good again and I mean really good, just to show its ugly self again. Its odd to know that I am feeling so healthy right now and that will be all over again on Monday knowing the aches and pains of surgery. As soon as I heal from this surgery (in about 4-6 weeks), I will go back in for surgery on my lung. I still don't know if they are doing chemo after the surgeries. It feels like this weekend I will be enjoying my last good days for awhile kind of like getting out of jail and then getting put back in. Deep sigh. But thank God for those good days, thank God they can do the surgeries, and please, God, help someone find the cure to cancer.

Putting on my game face...
«1

Comments

  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364
    Dear Vicki
    The anticipation of a surgery is never fun...and to have two upcoming can be daunting.

    However, fast forward a bit...when they are over the good days will be back.

    Wishing you every success with the Monday surgery and an easy recovery.

    I second your plea for a cure. Just imagine what we could all accomplish in the world with the strenght and determination we must give to fighting this disease.

    Hugs,

    Marie who loves kitties
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,712 **
    Surgery
    Wishing you the very best outcome in your upcoming surgery and that your recovery is speedy. Thinking and praying for you. Keep us informed.

    Kim
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834
    It feels so unfair
    It does seem sometimes to be a bit of an endless cycle of one step forward and two steps back but you need to just keep taking those steps forward and it sounds like youare applying the right attitude to do so.

    All the best for next week and enjoy this weekend to the upmost,
    steve
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425
    steved said:

    It feels so unfair
    It does seem sometimes to be a bit of an endless cycle of one step forward and two steps back but you need to just keep taking those steps forward and it sounds like youare applying the right attitude to do so.

    All the best for next week and enjoy this weekend to the upmost,
    steve

    If you've got your game face
    If you've got your game face on, I'm wearing my rally cap!!! Marie sums it up best for you, once you've healed good days will be back again. Keep us posted. All the best for you in your upcoming surgeries.
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787
    smokeyjoe said:

    If you've got your game face
    If you've got your game face on, I'm wearing my rally cap!!! Marie sums it up best for you, once you've healed good days will be back again. Keep us posted. All the best for you in your upcoming surgeries.

    Go Get em Vicki!!
    Put them BIG GIRL panties on and go kick cancers ****. Praying for you now and will dance with you later. :-)

    Jennie
  • barbebarb
    barbebarb Member Posts: 464

    Go Get em Vicki!!
    Put them BIG GIRL panties on and go kick cancers ****. Praying for you now and will dance with you later. :-)

    Jennie

    Hi Vicki
    You will get through the first and second surgery. Feeling well now will make for quick recovery too!
    I recently went through two surgeries close together and and did my first mop-up treatment today.
    It is good they can remove the tumors! I divided each surgery and no. of treatments into phases. Had good days and tough days but try to keep in mind the healing that results! Take it day by day....and hourly if a not feel so good day at home.
    Just take it one surgery at a time and each is a stepping stone.
    Please email me if u have any questions…I am here for you and a newbie but starting to feel I am earning early veteran status! LOL
    All the great support here helped me face the gotta get thru this attitude and keep kicking it's ugly sneaky a**!
    Big hug and adding you to my prayers my friend and am with you.
    Barb
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 520
    Thinking of you with Prayerful Thoughts
    Thinking of you and sending prayers for successful surgeries.
    NB
  • fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467
    Game Face
    Keep that positive winning attitude Vickilg...prayers and thoughts of healing to you...keep up with the discussion and let us know how well you are doing.
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215
    I know what you mean but you
    I know what you mean but you will be fine and bounce back. I heard my third liver surgery (entire right lobe) back in December and have been doing chemo since. I am back up to mountain biking 11 miles a day on the off weeks from chemo.

    I am praying your surgery will go well.

    PS. Iknow what you mean about nerves before survery. Evan though i had been throug 3 previous surgeries and have total confidence in my surgeon i couldnt sleep at all the night before.
  • sdp
    sdp Member Posts: 181
    barbebarb said:

    Hi Vicki
    You will get through the first and second surgery. Feeling well now will make for quick recovery too!
    I recently went through two surgeries close together and and did my first mop-up treatment today.
    It is good they can remove the tumors! I divided each surgery and no. of treatments into phases. Had good days and tough days but try to keep in mind the healing that results! Take it day by day....and hourly if a not feel so good day at home.
    Just take it one surgery at a time and each is a stepping stone.
    Please email me if u have any questions…I am here for you and a newbie but starting to feel I am earning early veteran status! LOL
    All the great support here helped me face the gotta get thru this attitude and keep kicking it's ugly sneaky a**!
    Big hug and adding you to my prayers my friend and am with you.
    Barb

    surgery
    hi barb,

    currently am a surgical candidate for liver resection , two stage as per few surgeons and not one as per few more,

    all of them top surgeons from top institutions in usA. will undergo these surgeons soon as i have to shortlist where i want to undergo
    the surgery.

    the options so far , since i am based in india are

    India
    USA
    Germany
    argentina ( do the latest alpps procedure) , two stage resection with portal vein ligation as opposed to portal vein embolisation,
    as this reduces time betweeen two liver surgeries to a week or ten days in between in ne hospitalisation stay.
    also, they would do the colon primary tumour removal surgery also in one of these surgeries.

    am confused and a bit afraid of so may surgeries in one go.

    tell me ALL about your recent surgery, what u felt, recovery period, how to cope etc etc in detail so i am prepared mentally
    as to how to go about it, i know it is diff for diff people, but it all still helps to know about others experiences.

    i thank u in anticipation of your reply. pl help ! opinions , suggestions, experiences, anything or all all of it.

    shitul
  • sdp
    sdp Member Posts: 181

    I know what you mean but you
    I know what you mean but you will be fine and bounce back. I heard my third liver surgery (entire right lobe) back in December and have been doing chemo since. I am back up to mountain biking 11 miles a day on the off weeks from chemo.

    I am praying your surgery will go well.

    PS. Iknow what you mean about nerves before survery. Evan though i had been throug 3 previous surgeries and have total confidence in my surgeon i couldnt sleep at all the night before.

    surgery
    hi jan anderson,

    can u see my post above to barb and pl reply on ur experiences with surgery of liver.

    thanks'
    sdp
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    Hi Vicki
    I can relate to how you feel, I've played that game for a while too as have others.
    On the bright side, you've shown yourself that you can go through this and bounce back again.
    It is tough though when you know what to expect and how you'll feel afterwards.
    I hope things go smoothly and that you're recovered before you know it.
    -phil




    you may have to press it twice...
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331
    PhillieG said:

    Hi Vicki
    I can relate to how you feel, I've played that game for a while too as have others.
    On the bright side, you've shown yourself that you can go through this and bounce back again.
    It is tough though when you know what to expect and how you'll feel afterwards.
    I hope things go smoothly and that you're recovered before you know it.
    -phil




    you may have to press it twice...

    Hi Vicki I understand your words, but despite any hurt or
    inconvenience you can be operated and this is the good news!
    Will pray for you!
    Good luck !
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215
    sdp said:

    surgery
    hi barb,

    currently am a surgical candidate for liver resection , two stage as per few surgeons and not one as per few more,

    all of them top surgeons from top institutions in usA. will undergo these surgeons soon as i have to shortlist where i want to undergo
    the surgery.

    the options so far , since i am based in india are

    India
    USA
    Germany
    argentina ( do the latest alpps procedure) , two stage resection with portal vein ligation as opposed to portal vein embolisation,
    as this reduces time betweeen two liver surgeries to a week or ten days in between in ne hospitalisation stay.
    also, they would do the colon primary tumour removal surgery also in one of these surgeries.

    am confused and a bit afraid of so may surgeries in one go.

    tell me ALL about your recent surgery, what u felt, recovery period, how to cope etc etc in detail so i am prepared mentally
    as to how to go about it, i know it is diff for diff people, but it all still helps to know about others experiences.

    i thank u in anticipation of your reply. pl help ! opinions , suggestions, experiences, anything or all all of it.

    shitul

    I never had a 2 stage liver
    I never had a 2 stage liver resection but have had 2 wedge sections which i was out of the hospital in 3 days each. My most recent surgery was much larger. They took the whole right lobe part of my diaphram and a tumor off of my abdominal wall. I was released from the hospital on the 7th day. I am a mountain biker and trained hard before each surgery to make my heart and lungs as strong as possible. Each time i was released my surgeon said it was record time due to my physical condition.

    Make sure they give you an epidural for the pain. Also if you have any history of motion sickness tell your anesthesiologist. I got really bad head spins from the anesthesia after the first surgery. They gave me some drugs to counteract it for the last 3 surgeries that worked great.
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790
    Good luck to you
    Can only imagine the stress you are feeling. You're right---thank God for good medicine and science to make surgeries like these possible.
    Breathe.........have a good cry.............breathe some more.
    Will be thinking of you~
    TommyCat
  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571
    I'm very sorry you have to go through this...
    I know the anxiety of facing yet another surgery. I've done five big ones and it ain't fun. But there is one positive aspect to all of this, in that surgery is our best chance of achieving a cure, so I'm sending best wishes and hope your way that these procedures will put you back on the road to good health forever! Hugs-Ann
  • Phil64
    Phil64 Member Posts: 838
    Good wishes and positive energy to you
    I hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly.
  • Cathleen Mary
    Cathleen Mary Member Posts: 827
    Phil64 said:

    Good wishes and positive energy to you
    I hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly.

    Thinking of you

    Know that healing thoughts and prayers are being sent your way. I always hate the night before surgery so I am especially thinking of you tonight. Soon the surgery will be behind you and you will be on your way to recovery. This isn't easy but you have proven that you can do it.

    Cathleen Mary
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624
    Surgery
    Just wanting to stop by and wish you a great surgery and speedy recovery!!!
    Will be thinking about you tomorrow.
    Winter Marie
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117

    Surgery
    Just wanting to stop by and wish you a great surgery and speedy recovery!!!
    Will be thinking about you tomorrow.
    Winter Marie

    thinking
    of you today.hope all goes well and please let us know how you are doing....Godbless...johnnybegood
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425

    thinking
    of you today.hope all goes well and please let us know how you are doing....Godbless...johnnybegood

    Just wanted to wish you all
    Just wanted to wish you all the best for today, check in and let us know how you are when you're feeling up to it.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900
    goodluck vickilg
    i hope it goes well.
    try and not expect the pain, from what i have studied you may actually increease it by basically using the negative side of neuroplasticity. just google it if you have time.

    if need an op in future, i will pretend like hell their is no pain, and expect none and anything at all will be easily managed by some meditation. in the 60s before our arsenole of pain relief drugs meditation was a key pain relief technique. as a community we have lost touch with this essential healing technique.

    i have tried it on my kids and myself and the pain relief works.

    i taught my kids zen meditations in 10 seconds. they just close their eyes and count each out breathe from 1 to 10. here is the tricky part when you get to 10 go back to 1 and start again. the kids put out their 10 fingers, so they have to do a 100 breathes. i pull the car over taking them to and from school at random places and say lets meditate. we also add in a little prayer as well.

    you will be fine, everyday is a good day i hope for you. lets us know how you get on. try and get some good nutrtion in hospital. now thats a challenge.

    hugs,
    pete

    ps ask them if they have anything organic on the menu
  • Brenda Bricco
    Brenda Bricco Member Posts: 579
    Today is the day and
    Today is the day and tomorrow the surgery will be behind you. Thinking and praying for you...
    Brenda
  • Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,425
    Said a little prayer for you
    Said a little prayer for you while sitting in my garden today. Hope it went well=) Thankfully by the time you read this, you will be on the road to recovery!
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071
    Hugs
    Hope it all went well, sending you prayers, good vibes etc.
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215

    goodluck vickilg
    i hope it goes well.
    try and not expect the pain, from what i have studied you may actually increease it by basically using the negative side of neuroplasticity. just google it if you have time.

    if need an op in future, i will pretend like hell their is no pain, and expect none and anything at all will be easily managed by some meditation. in the 60s before our arsenole of pain relief drugs meditation was a key pain relief technique. as a community we have lost touch with this essential healing technique.

    i have tried it on my kids and myself and the pain relief works.

    i taught my kids zen meditations in 10 seconds. they just close their eyes and count each out breathe from 1 to 10. here is the tricky part when you get to 10 go back to 1 and start again. the kids put out their 10 fingers, so they have to do a 100 breathes. i pull the car over taking them to and from school at random places and say lets meditate. we also add in a little prayer as well.

    you will be fine, everyday is a good day i hope for you. lets us know how you get on. try and get some good nutrtion in hospital. now thats a challenge.

    hugs,
    pete

    ps ask them if they have anything organic on the menu

    Judging by your comments you
    Judging by your comments you have not had a liver resection. I dont know what tbe hospitals are like over there but the hospitals i have stayed in here serve some of the most aweful unhealthy food there is.
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276
    Vicki
    I never thought of it that way. but having a colon ressection with ileostomyand then take down 7 weeks later was two surgeries. Despite various complications I became and remain NED for the last 2 years. You too can do it if I can. I just turned 80 this past Sunday. Best of luck to you!
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,712 **
    Surgery
    Hoping that all is well with you. Please give us an update if possible. Thinking of you.

    Kim
  • barbebarb
    barbebarb Member Posts: 464

    Surgery
    Hoping that all is well with you. Please give us an update if possible. Thinking of you.

    Kim

    Thinking of you
    Hope you are feeling stronger each day.
    Hope we hear from you soon.
    Barb
  • Phil64
    Phil64 Member Posts: 838

    Surgery
    Hoping that all is well with you. Please give us an update if possible. Thinking of you.

    Kim

    Thinking of you
    I too am thinking of you this morning and hoping you are recovering quickly and strongly.

    Love, Light, and Blessings to you!

    Philip