Bendamustine with Rituxan

Susan55
Susan55 Member Posts: 16
My husband has Mantle Cell Lymphoma and now is getting his duo port in on Tuesday and begins treatment on Thursday with 2 rounds of bendamustine then following Thursday Rituxan. Anyone who has had this could you share your information with us we would greatly appreciate it. I know everyone reacts differently to the treatments but any information on what to expect when he walks into that infusion room for the first time.

Comments

  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    Welcome
    Hi Susan,
    Sounds like your dear husband has a rough road ahead of him with multiple issues to deal with. God bless both of you! Now that you know the cancer is also in his colon, you might want to check in on the colorectal discussion group. It's an excellent group and the wealth of information they share will be very helpful for both of you. We can also help with support here. I will keep you and your hubby in my prayers. Best wishes...Sue
    Follicular NHL-stage3-grade2-typeA-diagnosed June 2010-age 61.
  • Tammie43
    Tammie43 Member Posts: 5
    Hello
    Hello Susan55. I was diagnosed with stage IV Mantle cell Lymphoma around the same time as your husband. I am being treated with Hyper CVAD Chemotherapy(I have two treatments left) followed by a bone marrow transplant in June. For most of the side effects, there are medications and home remedies that alleviate them. Over all, I havent felt to bad considering....I hope the treatments are going well for you and your husband.
  • Susan55
    Susan55 Member Posts: 16
    Tammie43 said:

    Hello
    Hello Susan55. I was diagnosed with stage IV Mantle cell Lymphoma around the same time as your husband. I am being treated with Hyper CVAD Chemotherapy(I have two treatments left) followed by a bone marrow transplant in June. For most of the side effects, there are medications and home remedies that alleviate them. Over all, I havent felt to bad considering....I hope the treatments are going well for you and your husband.

    Home Remedys
    Hi Tammie 43 Thank You for your response you have alot going on, so glad to hear side effects are manageable if you feel up to it could you recommend home remedies useful to you. So glad you replied felt like my husband is the only one if you don't mind me asking where are you being treated? Take care
  • Susan55
    Susan55 Member Posts: 16
    allmost60 said:

    Welcome
    Hi Susan,
    Sounds like your dear husband has a rough road ahead of him with multiple issues to deal with. God bless both of you! Now that you know the cancer is also in his colon, you might want to check in on the colorectal discussion group. It's an excellent group and the wealth of information they share will be very helpful for both of you. We can also help with support here. I will keep you and your hubby in my prayers. Best wishes...Sue
    Follicular NHL-stage3-grade2-typeA-diagnosed June 2010-age 61.

    Thank you I did any
    Thank you I did any information is so helpful so scared because of the knowledge I don't have.
  • Tammie43
    Tammie43 Member Posts: 5
    Susan55 said:

    Home Remedys
    Hi Tammie 43 Thank You for your response you have alot going on, so glad to hear side effects are manageable if you feel up to it could you recommend home remedies useful to you. So glad you replied felt like my husband is the only one if you don't mind me asking where are you being treated? Take care

    home remedies
    Hello Susan,

    My doctor gave me a recipe for a mouth rinse to help with the mouth sores that works well. It is 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon a salt, and 1 cup distilled water. rinse and gargle after every meal and whenever you feel you need to. My doctor said take probiotics since the chemo affects your intestines. Along with the probiotics, he recommends eating hard cheeses and yogurt since they have the same bacteria as the probiotics. I am being treated at the Geisinger Henry Cancer center. I hope this helps.....
  • Susan55
    Susan55 Member Posts: 16
    Tammie43 said:

    home remedies
    Hello Susan,

    My doctor gave me a recipe for a mouth rinse to help with the mouth sores that works well. It is 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon a salt, and 1 cup distilled water. rinse and gargle after every meal and whenever you feel you need to. My doctor said take probiotics since the chemo affects your intestines. Along with the probiotics, he recommends eating hard cheeses and yogurt since they have the same bacteria as the probiotics. I am being treated at the Geisinger Henry Cancer center. I hope this helps.....

    Yes it does Thank You so
    Yes it does Thank You so much let us know how you are doing.
  • Susan55
    Susan55 Member Posts: 16
    Tammie43 said:

    home remedies
    Hello Susan,

    My doctor gave me a recipe for a mouth rinse to help with the mouth sores that works well. It is 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon a salt, and 1 cup distilled water. rinse and gargle after every meal and whenever you feel you need to. My doctor said take probiotics since the chemo affects your intestines. Along with the probiotics, he recommends eating hard cheeses and yogurt since they have the same bacteria as the probiotics. I am being treated at the Geisinger Henry Cancer center. I hope this helps.....

    Just wanted to let u know
    Just wanted to let u know thinking of you hope you are doing well.
  • Susan55
    Susan55 Member Posts: 16
    Tammie43 said:

    home remedies
    Hello Susan,

    My doctor gave me a recipe for a mouth rinse to help with the mouth sores that works well. It is 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon a salt, and 1 cup distilled water. rinse and gargle after every meal and whenever you feel you need to. My doctor said take probiotics since the chemo affects your intestines. Along with the probiotics, he recommends eating hard cheeses and yogurt since they have the same bacteria as the probiotics. I am being treated at the Geisinger Henry Cancer center. I hope this helps.....

    How r u
    Just wanted to let u know thinking of you hope you are doing well.
  • diazr1
    diazr1 Member Posts: 101
    Susan55 said:

    How r u
    Just wanted to let u know thinking of you hope you are doing well.

    City of Hope
    I have been treated and will be treated at COH and they are great. Your husband is in good hands
  • Tammie43
    Tammie43 Member Posts: 5
    Susan55 said:

    Just wanted to let u know
    Just wanted to let u know thinking of you hope you are doing well.

    Hello Susan55,
    I am doing

    Hello Susan55,

    I am doing good! I had a pet scan and a bone marrow biopsy the other day and there is no evidence of tumors. My doctor said I was in remission.. I couldnt be happier :-) How are you and your husband?
  • Susan55
    Susan55 Member Posts: 16
    diazr1 said:

    City of Hope
    I have been treated and will be treated at COH and they are great. Your husband is in good hands

    Treatment
    Hi what type of lymphoma are you being treated for? So glad you replied.
  • diazr1
    diazr1 Member Posts: 101
    Susan55 said:

    Treatment
    Hi what type of lymphoma are you being treated for? So glad you replied.

    for Hodgkins Lymphoma
    I am still being treated there for a new clinical study
  • Susan55
    Susan55 Member Posts: 16
    Tammie43 said:

    Hello Susan55,
    I am doing

    Hello Susan55,

    I am doing good! I had a pet scan and a bone marrow biopsy the other day and there is no evidence of tumors. My doctor said I was in remission.. I couldnt be happier :-) How are you and your husband?

    So glad to hear your good

    So glad to hear your good news. Could I ask a few questions? You said you are getting a bone marrow transplant but my husband they are planning a stem cell transplant. Also prior to treatment did your labs before they knew you had MCL, were you very anemic? The reason ask is Tuesday Paul swallows a pill cam already done colon and endo test found cancer in colon but no bleeding the Dr. trying to find out why so anemic. Your news raises hope for us. Realize still you have a lot left but your post is like a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Susan55
    Susan55 Member Posts: 16
    diazr1 said:

    for Hodgkins Lymphoma
    I am still being treated there for a new clinical study

    Will be thinking of you as I
    Will be thinking of you as I walk by that fountain please let us know how you are doing.
  • MJWhite914
    MJWhite914 Member Posts: 1
    Mantle Cell
    Hi Susan, So sorry to hear that your husband has been diagnosed with this desease. My husband was diagnosed last July and had an enlarged spleen, night sweats, it was also in his bone marrow. He has had 4 rounds of hyper-cvad with rituximab in patient chemo and 2 rounds of ryce (sp?). He started treatment in August and finished in December. He just had his stem cell transplant and was released Saturday and is now home recovering.
    This journey is not a pleasant one, however, you can make things easier on yourself and your husband by making sure you both STAY POSITIVE, always look for the bright side! Our faith and the support of others were huge. Let those who offer to help do just that. Your energies are needed to help your husband get through this. Keep him from small children if possible, make him wear gloves when he goes to any store and wash hands often. Tell those who are sick or have been exposed to an illness to kindly stay away. As they go through the chemo, their immune systems are compromised so protecting you and him from things is important. Tell him to keep moving! VERY IMPORTANT! Sometimes he will need to force himself to put one foot in front of the other, he has to keep his mind in a good place as much as possible and so do you! One day at a time Susan. The chemo has side affects that differ between patients. My husband experienced some nausea which was controlled with meds, diarrhea was another, some memory issue's, remember these are temporary. There is a nasty bug called c-dif that my husband picked up while in the hospital so make sure he washes his hands with soap and water before he eats or takes any meds, better yet, he should not touch his meds at all! Hand sanitizers don't kill it. I would be happy to share ANY of our experiences with you Susan at any time. Hugs and prayers to you both!
    Merrie Jo White
  • Tammie43
    Tammie43 Member Posts: 5
    Susan55 said:

    So glad to hear your good

    So glad to hear your good news. Could I ask a few questions? You said you are getting a bone marrow transplant but my husband they are planning a stem cell transplant. Also prior to treatment did your labs before they knew you had MCL, were you very anemic? The reason ask is Tuesday Paul swallows a pill cam already done colon and endo test found cancer in colon but no bleeding the Dr. trying to find out why so anemic. Your news raises hope for us. Realize still you have a lot left but your post is like a light at the end of the tunnel.

    Hello Susan55. How are you and your husband? I had no problems with anemia. I discovered I had MCL accidently. The doctors discovered I had an enlarged spleen but I had no symptoms of any kind.
  • Susan55
    Susan55 Member Posts: 16

    Mantle Cell
    Hi Susan, So sorry to hear that your husband has been diagnosed with this desease. My husband was diagnosed last July and had an enlarged spleen, night sweats, it was also in his bone marrow. He has had 4 rounds of hyper-cvad with rituximab in patient chemo and 2 rounds of ryce (sp?). He started treatment in August and finished in December. He just had his stem cell transplant and was released Saturday and is now home recovering.
    This journey is not a pleasant one, however, you can make things easier on yourself and your husband by making sure you both STAY POSITIVE, always look for the bright side! Our faith and the support of others were huge. Let those who offer to help do just that. Your energies are needed to help your husband get through this. Keep him from small children if possible, make him wear gloves when he goes to any store and wash hands often. Tell those who are sick or have been exposed to an illness to kindly stay away. As they go through the chemo, their immune systems are compromised so protecting you and him from things is important. Tell him to keep moving! VERY IMPORTANT! Sometimes he will need to force himself to put one foot in front of the other, he has to keep his mind in a good place as much as possible and so do you! One day at a time Susan. The chemo has side affects that differ between patients. My husband experienced some nausea which was controlled with meds, diarrhea was another, some memory issue's, remember these are temporary. There is a nasty bug called c-dif that my husband picked up while in the hospital so make sure he washes his hands with soap and water before he eats or takes any meds, better yet, he should not touch his meds at all! Hand sanitizers don't kill it. I would be happy to share ANY of our experiences with you Susan at any time. Hugs and prayers to you both!
    Merrie Jo White

    Wanted to give you time to
    Wanted to give you time to enjoy being at home. How is your husband doing?
  • templaruk
    templaruk Member Posts: 1
    New
    Hi everyone!
    This site has been a revelation to me, I was diagnosed with stage 1V Mantel Cell Lymphoma back in November 2011 and to be honest, I was beginning to think I was the only case! Reading some of your experiences is in many ways, comforting. At the moment, I'm on a "watch & wait" program, no real symptoms to speak of, but more recently, I am experiencing pain the ankle joints that really do make it difficult to walk and tiredness.... I could sleep forever! I go back to the Hospital in June and I think they will run another round of scans etc to see if the illness has progressed, but, up to now, guess it's holding off. I had never heard of MCL until I was diagnosed, then I did some research etc but to be honest, I still don't have enough knowledge where prognosis is concerned. I'm not sure what the protocols are within my part of the UK, the Dr's have discussed RCHOP and Autoglobus Transplant as possibilities, but I guess that's my next decision. I'm glad I found this group, people who I talk to, family included, have a problem relating when there are no physical signs of illness, it has taken us all by surprise...... best of luck to all of you!
  • Susan55
    Susan55 Member Posts: 16

    Mantle Cell
    Hi Susan, So sorry to hear that your husband has been diagnosed with this desease. My husband was diagnosed last July and had an enlarged spleen, night sweats, it was also in his bone marrow. He has had 4 rounds of hyper-cvad with rituximab in patient chemo and 2 rounds of ryce (sp?). He started treatment in August and finished in December. He just had his stem cell transplant and was released Saturday and is now home recovering.
    This journey is not a pleasant one, however, you can make things easier on yourself and your husband by making sure you both STAY POSITIVE, always look for the bright side! Our faith and the support of others were huge. Let those who offer to help do just that. Your energies are needed to help your husband get through this. Keep him from small children if possible, make him wear gloves when he goes to any store and wash hands often. Tell those who are sick or have been exposed to an illness to kindly stay away. As they go through the chemo, their immune systems are compromised so protecting you and him from things is important. Tell him to keep moving! VERY IMPORTANT! Sometimes he will need to force himself to put one foot in front of the other, he has to keep his mind in a good place as much as possible and so do you! One day at a time Susan. The chemo has side affects that differ between patients. My husband experienced some nausea which was controlled with meds, diarrhea was another, some memory issue's, remember these are temporary. There is a nasty bug called c-dif that my husband picked up while in the hospital so make sure he washes his hands with soap and water before he eats or takes any meds, better yet, he should not touch his meds at all! Hand sanitizers don't kill it. I would be happy to share ANY of our experiences with you Susan at any time. Hugs and prayers to you both!
    Merrie Jo White

    My husband starts treatment
    My husband starts treatment with Bendamustine on Thursday next week rituxan. How is your husband doing? Paul gets a duo port in Tuesday did your husband have one? Susan