going on a trip and upcoming tests- *update*

lisa42
lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625
edited October 2011 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everybody, (update at bottom of this top post)

I'm just checking in and letting you all know that I will be gone on a trip from Oct 7-17th. Hubby and I are flying to Miami and going on a 5 day cruise with stops in Jamaica and Grand Caymen Island. When we return to Miami, we're renting a car and driving around Florida for a few days. I hope that I feel well enough- about 2/3 of the time lately, I've been feeling nauseated and have also had some pain again lately in the rectal area. No fun. I almost wonder if I have some kind of bacteria, as I don't know that the cancer itself would be causing such nausea even on my off chemo week, although when I was so bad back when I went to the hospital in June, they tested me for various bacterias & everything came out negative. So, I don't know what is causing this. I know what's causing pain, but I also feel sick to my stomach often even when there is no pain.

Tomorrow (Tuesday), I have chemo and my CEA will be drawn. It was last drawn 4 weeks ago. That's when I had good news that it had gone down 80 points in 4 weeks from 359 to 279. I hope and pray that tomorrow's CEA also shows it going down. I should know on Thursday.
My next PET scan is due the last week in October- my prior scan had been the beginning of July.

I'll be okay- even if I'm not feeling super great, I'm definitely looking forward to this trip and cruise!

Take care-
Lisa
----------------------------------------
Update on CEA:

I actually got my CEA results back a day sooner than I thought I would. My CEA gets tested every 4 weeks. It had been going up and up and a high two months ago of 359. Last month it made a wonderful drop of 80 points in 4 weeks. I attributed that to the fact that I had been slacking on my supplements and then in those four weeks I really stepped up taking everything & thought it was the supplements that helped with that 80 point drop. Well, I've continued on the supplements, but today I found out that my CEA this time has gone up 38 points since the 4 weeks earlier.
I just don't get it- I don't know if I have any control over the CEA or not. I don't know now if anything I've been doing or taking makes a real difference or not. I'm back to my down-up pattern that I had a few weeks ago. Then, it seemed to not matter what I did or took- it'd be down one time, up the next, down the next, etc. I guess I'll continue the supplements anyhow and see what happens next time. The scan will be last week of Oct.
«1

Comments

  • Lilmiss82
    Lilmiss82 Member Posts: 257
    Have a wonderful time Lisa!!
    I did that same cruise for my honeymoon 4 years ago and loved it. The water in the Caymens is beautiful. Crystal clear. Enjoy yourself and forget about cancer. Maybe a destressing environment will help you feel better. Worry tends to make me sick to my stomach, maybe you too?? Keep us post and we'll miss you in the time being. To smooth sailing-Melissa
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238
    Awesome! Have a great time
    Awesome! Have a great time my dear! Make sure you take the nausea meds with you just in case.

    Love ya buddy, gail

    ps....can I please stowaway in your suitcase?
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425
    plh4gail said:

    Awesome! Have a great time
    Awesome! Have a great time my dear! Make sure you take the nausea meds with you just in case.

    Love ya buddy, gail

    ps....can I please stowaway in your suitcase?

    Have a wonderful trip, I
    Have a wonderful trip, I loved the cruise we went on it was from Miami to Bahamas. Enjoy!!
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    3 in a Row...
    You're kicking a$$ this year on your Vacation Touor, Lisa....you're off to another destination location:)

    One day I hope to be able to travel as much as you've been able to do. It's great that you've been able to go see and do. I hope we'll be in a position to do just what you're doing one year if we continue to work hard.

    It's a big deal just for me to get to Chicago, I got a super-saver flight with Southwest Airlines - they fly up to 2 bags "free." That should take care of me and Kim. LOL! LOL!

    Well, enjoy yourself and best of luck with your tests and today's chemo.

    -Craig
  • laurettas
    laurettas Member Posts: 372
    Sundanceh said:

    3 in a Row...
    You're kicking a$$ this year on your Vacation Touor, Lisa....you're off to another destination location:)

    One day I hope to be able to travel as much as you've been able to do. It's great that you've been able to go see and do. I hope we'll be in a position to do just what you're doing one year if we continue to work hard.

    It's a big deal just for me to get to Chicago, I got a super-saver flight with Southwest Airlines - they fly up to 2 bags "free." That should take care of me and Kim. LOL! LOL!

    Well, enjoy yourself and best of luck with your tests and today's chemo.

    -Craig

    Have a wonderful trip!
    Can't wait for the report when you get back.
  • luvmum
    luvmum Member Posts: 457
    Dear Lisa
    Have a wonderful holiday my dear friend and try to forget about everything when you are having fun on the cruise!

    I hope the next chemo won't give you too much unpleasant experience and your CEA continue to drop!!!!!!!

    love and hugs,
    Dora
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,715 Member
    Fun
    That sounds like a lot of fun. Just try and enjoy yourself as much as you can. Hope that you are feeling better though. Maybe just getting away for awhile will help you. Have fun.

    Kim
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331

    Fun
    That sounds like a lot of fun. Just try and enjoy yourself as much as you can. Hope that you are feeling better though. Maybe just getting away for awhile will help you. Have fun.

    Kim

    Have a wonderful trip Lisa!
    Praying for another drop on your CEA!
    Hugs!
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790
    Have fun~
    Who is taking care of that adorable little dog in your profile picture while you are gone? :)
    Enjoy Lisa...and I look forward to hearing all about it over some coffee.
    Big hugs~
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 952
    I hope you enjoy
    Lisa,

    I hope you enjoy your trip and have a fantastic time! I pray that your CEA continues to trend down and that you get good news before you leave. Sounds like a second honeymoon!!

    Amy
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342
    Lisa
    Lisa,
    I love that you and your husband are going on a cruise!!! Wonderful my friend. Relax and have fun. I will keep you in prayer during your cruise.

    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624
    Lisa
    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy the cruise, hoping cancer gets to take a back seat for a little while for you so that you can do the activities you want to.
    Winter Marie
  • buckeye2
    buckeye2 Member Posts: 428
    Hoping your test results
    Hoping your test results comeback good and that you have a great trip. The Caymens are a great place to snorkel. Lisa
  • buckeye2
    buckeye2 Member Posts: 428
    Hoping your test results
    Double post
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625
    update at top
    update at top- bumpin up
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Hi Lisa

    I feel that sense of disappointment in your voice. I know it's discouraging for you. I've watched you do everything that you could possibly do to help yourself. I know you're in a rough spot and I know that you know that too. I've always admired your fortitude with how you've stepped up and handled your fight and given it all that you've got to give.

    I've heard you mention on more than one occasion that you were 'desperate' and if it doesn't hurt, why not try it?

    I think those words have stuck with me the most as I walk along with you on your journey. Often times, I've tried to put myself in your place to try and imagine how you must feel and what you are going through on a daily basis. What are the fears that you wear every day? How you tried to portray strength to your family and us here on the board. How you must feel at times that you just really want to say to everybody, "I'm scared."

    I know somewhere deep down inside you that is how you must feel at times. And even though you talk about knowing where you will go, you have fought very hard to stay here:)

    As veteran war horses, we know that there are folks who look to long term fighters to help show them the way - so it's hard sometimes to admit that we feel vulnerable and are not always as tough as we make out SOMETIMES. We set the bar too high and it can get very hard to reach on some days.

    Somehow though, knowing you the way that I have come to, I sincerely doubt you would ever back down from anything in your life. I'd draft you on my team anyday and be proud to have you. You are a warrior.

    I stand in awe at your longevity - yes, longevity as you're still here. I've gotten to know you alot over the last 28 months since I got here. I think you've done more living than I could ever hope to. And you've got a nice vacation coming up, that I have no doubt will help with a little healing for the soul.

    Lisa, I wrote a bunch of other stuff and then changed my mind and deleted it. Would just cause a firestorm. Perhaps one day I will PM you what I was going to say. Right now, I don't want to detract away from you and your story.

    I hope the CEA takes a nosedive for the end of month checkup. Until then, you got another great vacation coming - and there's nothing that cancer can do about it either.

    Just best wishes!

    -Craig and Big Billy
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456
    Hi Lisa, I hope that you're

    Hi Lisa, I hope that you're feeling better soon so that you can forget about cancer for a while and simply enjoy your vacation. Warm weather, sand, sun and a beautiful vista - sounds like a prescription that every doctor should order! Best wishes, Cyn
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625
    Sundanceh said:

    Hi Lisa

    I feel that sense of disappointment in your voice. I know it's discouraging for you. I've watched you do everything that you could possibly do to help yourself. I know you're in a rough spot and I know that you know that too. I've always admired your fortitude with how you've stepped up and handled your fight and given it all that you've got to give.

    I've heard you mention on more than one occasion that you were 'desperate' and if it doesn't hurt, why not try it?

    I think those words have stuck with me the most as I walk along with you on your journey. Often times, I've tried to put myself in your place to try and imagine how you must feel and what you are going through on a daily basis. What are the fears that you wear every day? How you tried to portray strength to your family and us here on the board. How you must feel at times that you just really want to say to everybody, "I'm scared."

    I know somewhere deep down inside you that is how you must feel at times. And even though you talk about knowing where you will go, you have fought very hard to stay here:)

    As veteran war horses, we know that there are folks who look to long term fighters to help show them the way - so it's hard sometimes to admit that we feel vulnerable and are not always as tough as we make out SOMETIMES. We set the bar too high and it can get very hard to reach on some days.

    Somehow though, knowing you the way that I have come to, I sincerely doubt you would ever back down from anything in your life. I'd draft you on my team anyday and be proud to have you. You are a warrior.

    I stand in awe at your longevity - yes, longevity as you're still here. I've gotten to know you alot over the last 28 months since I got here. I think you've done more living than I could ever hope to. And you've got a nice vacation coming up, that I have no doubt will help with a little healing for the soul.

    Lisa, I wrote a bunch of other stuff and then changed my mind and deleted it. Would just cause a firestorm. Perhaps one day I will PM you what I was going to say. Right now, I don't want to detract away from you and your story.

    I hope the CEA takes a nosedive for the end of month checkup. Until then, you got another great vacation coming - and there's nothing that cancer can do about it either.

    Just best wishes!

    -Craig and Big Billy

    to Craig
    Hi Craig,

    Thanks for your very heartfelt reply. You are most definitely a warrior as well- an example in kindness and leadership abilities to others (as well as a damn good author!) :)

    I will keep up the fight & yes, I admit, I'm scared, but I'm not going to let that take the fight out of me!

    I plan on enjoying this vacation- each time I take a new trip, I always wonder if this one will be my last, but I still have too many places to go see for that to be the case, lol! I know I have been blessed by being able to do as much traveling as I have done, though.

    Hugs to you,
    Lisa :)
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625

    Hi Lisa, I hope that you're

    Hi Lisa, I hope that you're feeling better soon so that you can forget about cancer for a while and simply enjoy your vacation. Warm weather, sand, sun and a beautiful vista - sounds like a prescription that every doctor should order! Best wishes, Cyn

    Living in NH
    Thanks, Cyn, for the well wishes!

    Lisa
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238
    Sorry about that darn CEA
    Sorry about that darn CEA Lisa.... I say pack for that wonderful trip and have a great time with your hubby. Splurge a little on the food when you feel like it and back off if you're just not wanting it. Rest some and enjoy A LOT!!

    Love you buddy! gail