Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

stage iv

if you are stage iv, when were you dx? how long ago? thanks!

Comments

  • Vickilg
    Vickilg Member Posts: 281
    Hi, Alex
    I'm stage IV Rectal Cancer. Discover June 2009. Recurrence December 2010. Currently cancer free :)
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122
    alexinlv

    Stage 3c/4 2006

    Better health to you & yours!

    John
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043
    John23 said:

    alexinlv

    Stage 3c/4 2006

    Better health to you & yours!

    John

    DX....March 25th 2008........
    considered Stage 4 Sept 7th 2010......
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233
    I'm a big ZERO now!
    I was a stage 4....key word WAS....

    Diagnosed Oct 3, 2001 (liver mets)

    Surgery Jan 22, 2002

    Been clear ever since 01/22/02.

    Have an awesome day!

    Stacy
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952
    3 to 4
    Diagnosed Stage 3 in 2002. "Promoted" to Stage IV in 2005. Have had four relapses (3 lung, now bone mets). I'm not cancer-free -- but I'm alive! And leading a full, good quality life.

    Tara
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625
    August 2007
    I'm stage IV and was diagnosed in August 2007. At that time, I was found to have innumerable lung nodules in both lungs and 12 tumors in my liver. I responded pretty well to the Folfox chemo regimen- after just 3 treatments, my tumors were reduced to 3 from the 12 & my lung nodules stopped lighting up on the PET at that time.
    Radiation on rectal tumor Jan-March 2008- rectal tumor had a complete response in that the tumor disappeared and biopsy showed no sign of cancer in the rectum anywhere (so I never had surgery in that area- unfortunately, I've had a rectal tumor recurrence in the past year and a half). Liver resection May 2008(55% of liver taken, plus gallbladder).
    Clear for 4 months until recurrence #1. Chemo for several months. PET showed liver clear and lung nodules not lighting up- clear for 3 months until recurrence #2 in Sept. 2009.
    I've been on chemo every other week ever since.
    I added in some diet changes and natural treatments/supplements this past February 2011. Seems to help with my blood counts & I haven't caught a cold or anything during this time. I believe it's helping the cancer- my CEA came down last time- the more telling CEA draw will be this next week (since it's gone down before then come up again). I hope and pray that it will be down again.

    Lisa
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258

    I'm a big ZERO now!
    I was a stage 4....key word WAS....

    Diagnosed Oct 3, 2001 (liver mets)

    Surgery Jan 22, 2002

    Been clear ever since 01/22/02.

    Have an awesome day!

    Stacy

    Stacy,
    You were an early adopter of the knowledge that Stage 4 with liver mets could be cured with surgery! 1998 was when the surgery started to become common, and there was a spike in the five year (and now 10 year) survival rates as a result.

    Congratulations!
  • marqimark
    marqimark Member Posts: 242
    lisa42 said:

    August 2007
    I'm stage IV and was diagnosed in August 2007. At that time, I was found to have innumerable lung nodules in both lungs and 12 tumors in my liver. I responded pretty well to the Folfox chemo regimen- after just 3 treatments, my tumors were reduced to 3 from the 12 & my lung nodules stopped lighting up on the PET at that time.
    Radiation on rectal tumor Jan-March 2008- rectal tumor had a complete response in that the tumor disappeared and biopsy showed no sign of cancer in the rectum anywhere (so I never had surgery in that area- unfortunately, I've had a rectal tumor recurrence in the past year and a half). Liver resection May 2008(55% of liver taken, plus gallbladder).
    Clear for 4 months until recurrence #1. Chemo for several months. PET showed liver clear and lung nodules not lighting up- clear for 3 months until recurrence #2 in Sept. 2009.
    I've been on chemo every other week ever since.
    I added in some diet changes and natural treatments/supplements this past February 2011. Seems to help with my blood counts & I haven't caught a cold or anything during this time. I believe it's helping the cancer- my CEA came down last time- the more telling CEA draw will be this next week (since it's gone down before then come up again). I hope and pray that it will be down again.

    Lisa

    lisa
    Praying for a great check up.

    Hugs

    Mark
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    Since Jun 2009
    Stage 4 since Jun 09, going through chemo every two weeks since. Problems with keeping plateles up so sometimes may go three weeks. Currently doing CPT, luke and 5fu.
    Hope all is well with you.
    Jeff
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624
    Stage IV
    February 2010.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Member Posts: 402

    Stage IV
    February 2010.

    Robert
    stage iv cc, dx 12/2008
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258
    March 30th
    2010. Was for sure stage 4 from the end of December, 2009.
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030
    Buckwirth said:

    March 30th
    2010. Was for sure stage 4 from the end of December, 2009.

    Srage 4 Nov 2008
    Been NED since Liver Resection Apr 2009 but on Chemo until August 2009 NED since 2 years. Now CEA has gone up to 2, 3, 4.5. and now 6.5. CEA was 150 after colorectal surgery 1.2009, and after live resection just kept coming down. Getting scans next week.
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 520
    Nana b said:

    Srage 4 Nov 2008
    Been NED since Liver Resection Apr 2009 but on Chemo until August 2009 NED since 2 years. Now CEA has gone up to 2, 3, 4.5. and now 6.5. CEA was 150 after colorectal surgery 1.2009, and after live resection just kept coming down. Getting scans next week.

    Praying for a Good Scan
    Nana B,
    Prayers for a good scan.
    NB
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252
    September 2009
    I was misdiagnosed for 2 years. I have no idea when I became a stage IV. It has been at least two years. I am still living successfully with stage IV cancer. It is tough, but can be done.
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,171
    Stage 4 Appendix cancer
    dx'd 4/6/2007. Out of treatment, and likely in remission for past 3 years. Next scan (first in 18 months!) is this Thursday. Hopefully, remission continues....
  • laurettas
    laurettas Member Posts: 372
    abrub said:

    Stage 4 Appendix cancer
    dx'd 4/6/2007. Out of treatment, and likely in remission for past 3 years. Next scan (first in 18 months!) is this Thursday. Hopefully, remission continues....

    Hi Abrub
    Just curious. Was your cancer signet ring cell?
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 520
    abrub said:

    Stage 4 Appendix cancer
    dx'd 4/6/2007. Out of treatment, and likely in remission for past 3 years. Next scan (first in 18 months!) is this Thursday. Hopefully, remission continues....

    Praying for a Good Scan
    I too had cancer in both my right colon and my appendix. Surgery October, 2010 and just had my 12 month checkup. NED. I pray for a good scan. On my way to Mass this morning and I will light a candle for all on this board as well as those facing scans this week for good results.

    NB
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,171
    laurettas said:

    Hi Abrub
    Just curious. Was your cancer signet ring cell?

    Not signet cell
    Mucinous Adenocarcinoma. However, I have a friend who recently celebrated 10 years cancer-free from Signet Cell, stage 4.

    I just noticed - your husband had peritoneal mets. Did anyone discuss the option of IntraPeritoneal chemo? I had that, where the 5FU was delivered directly into my belly at at least 300 times the strength that they use in systemic chemo, to bathe the cells directly. This was not part of the HIPEC procedure that you hear so much about. I had a belly port placed, and the chemo was given every other week for a determined number of cycles.
  • laurettas
    laurettas Member Posts: 372
    abrub said:

    Not signet cell
    Mucinous Adenocarcinoma. However, I have a friend who recently celebrated 10 years cancer-free from Signet Cell, stage 4.

    I just noticed - your husband had peritoneal mets. Did anyone discuss the option of IntraPeritoneal chemo? I had that, where the 5FU was delivered directly into my belly at at least 300 times the strength that they use in systemic chemo, to bathe the cells directly. This was not part of the HIPEC procedure that you hear so much about. I had a belly port placed, and the chemo was given every other week for a determined number of cycles.

    I have been wondering
    about that treatment. Do you know if they will do it even when one has mets other places? Jake has extensive lymph involvement and possible lung as well. I have been wondering why they can't install a pump or something to deliver chemo directly to the lymph system as well. The lymph system has its own vascular system so it seems that that should be possible as well. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

    Thank you also for the good news about your friend. Those stories are very heartening. So far the cancer has responded well to the chemo--will know more after a CT on Monday but the last two have been good. We keep waiting for one of those really hopeful treatments to be perfected--T cells, or vaccines, or virus treatments. Those all sound so much more hopeful and less toxic than what we are doing now.
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731
    stage 4 since Oct 2008
    been NED FOR OVER 2 YEARS and still counting...


    HUGS
    Beth
  • k1
    k1 Member Posts: 220
    Stage IV June 2011
    Mets to liver in recurrence and liver resection surgery in June 2011. Now on chemo. Previously DX Stage IIA in Oct. 2009 and colon resection (told I had a 90% chance of no recurrence) and clear scans for 15 months only, till spring 2011.