Schedule

Glenna M
Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
I met with the thoracic surgeon yesterday and I finally have a schedule...Pulmonary Function test tomorrow, pre-op testing on Friday. Wednesday the 6th they will be doing a bronchoscopy for the lymph nodes that show activity and he will also be doing a VATS wedge resection of the large tumor in my right lung. Nothing for the left lung at this time as they are most concerned with the right lung.

I saw the CT and PET scan results, it's amazing to see what the doctors are seeing and scary at the same time. I like the doctor who is performing the surgery, he is the same one who did this procedure on my brother several years ago. He did say that he doubted he would be able to get the entire tumor but he couldn't be positive until he was doing the procedure. The only thing I didn't like was when he started talking about the special staples and glue they would be using to seal the lung. I should only be in the hospital overnight while the lung drains and they watch for any air leaks. He said he might get the results the same day, if not then within 2 days. I'm sure I will be seeing my oncologist shortly after the results are in to discuss chemo.

I'm feeling a little better now that I finally have a schedule and we are moving forward. It's the sitting around doing nothing that scares me, and many of you also I'm sure. I want to get started ASAP so we can get rid of this again.

I hope everyone is feeling well and having a great day.
Glenna
«1

Comments

  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788
    Sched
    Glenna, any time they are doing surgery, strangely enough, I am a happy camper. I suppose it is because it means they are taking out the nasty stuff or, in your case, perhaps, taking out as much as they can, almost always a good thing, I would think.

    So the news sounds good to me, my friend. Once again, with cancer it is strange what we wish for :).

    Take care,

    Joe
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199
    Surgery
    I agree with Joe. I think surgery is a good thing. I think it means they are hopeful they can get it that way. All the best to you with the tests. I know you will come through with flying colors.
  • AlanRinHBG
    AlanRinHBG Member Posts: 121
    lekkerone said:

    Surgery
    I agree with Joe. I think surgery is a good thing. I think it means they are hopeful they can get it that way. All the best to you with the tests. I know you will come through with flying colors.

    surgery
    In my case surgery became impossible. I wish it could have been totally removed and outa here. Fortunately there are more options and I'll have to settle for remission. I'll accept that and move on. I sure hope they get it all and you can move on too.
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576

    Sched
    Glenna, any time they are doing surgery, strangely enough, I am a happy camper. I suppose it is because it means they are taking out the nasty stuff or, in your case, perhaps, taking out as much as they can, almost always a good thing, I would think.

    So the news sounds good to me, my friend. Once again, with cancer it is strange what we wish for :).

    Take care,

    Joe

    Joe
    Strangely enough I feel the same way as you, operate!! He sounded rather doubtful that he would be able to get it all but I'll be happy to have as much removed as possible. Less cancer for the chemo to have to get rid of.

    Thank you Joe, you have been a good friend since the first time I posted 2 years ago. You always know what to say to relieve my fears.

    Stay well,
    Glenna
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    lekkerone said:

    Surgery
    I agree with Joe. I think surgery is a good thing. I think it means they are hopeful they can get it that way. All the best to you with the tests. I know you will come through with flying colors.

    Diane
    Yes, I'm actually looking forward to surgery, not the surgery itself but the fact that they will be removing some of the tumor. I'm more nervous about the PFT, not sure how well I will do with that, between having emphysema and tumors in both lungs I know it won't be as good as I'd like it to be.

    I hope you are doing well,
    Glenna
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576

    surgery
    In my case surgery became impossible. I wish it could have been totally removed and outa here. Fortunately there are more options and I'll have to settle for remission. I'll accept that and move on. I sure hope they get it all and you can move on too.

    Alan
    I've been in remission for almost 2 years from the first battle with lung and laryngeal cancer and my only hope now is for remission again since I have it in both lungs and the lymph nodes in the center of my lungs. If you look at my CT or PET scans it looks like a game of connect the dots - lol.

    I'm sorry that yours is inoperable also but remission may buy us both enough time that they will come up with new drugs or treatments so we can both beat this.

    My best to you,
    Glenna
  • mamacita5
    mamacita5 Member Posts: 254
    Glenna M said:

    Diane
    Yes, I'm actually looking forward to surgery, not the surgery itself but the fact that they will be removing some of the tumor. I'm more nervous about the PFT, not sure how well I will do with that, between having emphysema and tumors in both lungs I know it won't be as good as I'd like it to be.

    I hope you are doing well,
    Glenna

    Keeping my toes and fingers
    Keeping my toes and fingers crossed for you Glenna. Let's hope once he gets in there he can really do some damage to that nasty tumor! You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    Anita
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,411 Member
    mamacita5 said:

    Keeping my toes and fingers
    Keeping my toes and fingers crossed for you Glenna. Let's hope once he gets in there he can really do some damage to that nasty tumor! You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    Anita

    Glenna
    Surgery sounds good to me also, and the fact that he can get to it is great via the vats. Do you do any kind of breathing exercises? I know that before my surgery I had to have the PFT and did breathing exercises before hand to make sure I could pass for surgery. I hope your PFT comes out good. I also know that the breathing can be improved with the breathing exercises. I know when I started my breathing was shallow and now its good. I wish you well. Lori
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    z said:

    Glenna
    Surgery sounds good to me also, and the fact that he can get to it is great via the vats. Do you do any kind of breathing exercises? I know that before my surgery I had to have the PFT and did breathing exercises before hand to make sure I could pass for surgery. I hope your PFT comes out good. I also know that the breathing can be improved with the breathing exercises. I know when I started my breathing was shallow and now its good. I wish you well. Lori

    Glenna
    I am also in favor of plans and surgery. Best of luck
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199
    Glenna M said:

    Diane
    Yes, I'm actually looking forward to surgery, not the surgery itself but the fact that they will be removing some of the tumor. I'm more nervous about the PFT, not sure how well I will do with that, between having emphysema and tumors in both lungs I know it won't be as good as I'd like it to be.

    I hope you are doing well,
    Glenna

    Glenna I had two of these. My advice is to use your spirometer or do other breathing exercises before the test. That way your deep breathing will come more easily. I mean JUST before the test. I also have emphysema but managed okay.
  • Dan620
    Dan620 Member Posts: 220
    Glenna M said:

    Diane
    Yes, I'm actually looking forward to surgery, not the surgery itself but the fact that they will be removing some of the tumor. I'm more nervous about the PFT, not sure how well I will do with that, between having emphysema and tumors in both lungs I know it won't be as good as I'd like it to be.

    I hope you are doing well,
    Glenna

    Prayers
    Glenna, Just want you to know will be praying they get all of this tumor out and you have a quick recovery and a long remission....... The best to you ... Dan
  • luz del lago
    luz del lago Member Posts: 449
    Dan620 said:

    Prayers
    Glenna, Just want you to know will be praying they get all of this tumor out and you have a quick recovery and a long remission....... The best to you ... Dan

    Glenna,
    My thoughts, heart

    Glenna,

    My thoughts, heart and prayers are with you. You are a valiant warrior, and I am also glad to know that there is a plan!

    I pray that your medical team will be guided by God's love and power. That they are able to get as much as humanly possible, and that you heal quickly and with the least amount of pain or discomfort.

    Blessings upon you,

    Lucy
  • karenbeth
    karenbeth Member Posts: 194
    glenna
    I was so sorry to read that the cancer has returned. I'm glad you have a good plan and I wish all the best for you--I will be sending healing thoughts your way.

    Karen
  • sleepless in jersey
    sleepless in jersey Member Posts: 185
    Im so glad there is a plan
    The waiting is awful, so happy things are moving for you now. You beat the beast before so now you know what you have to do to beat it again.
    Your cheerleaders are here routing for you. Continue to stay postive! Remember that little engine that couldnt, well Glenna, I know thats you the fighter!!
    Lots of prayers your way....
  • bfp9548
    bfp9548 Member Posts: 28

    Im so glad there is a plan
    The waiting is awful, so happy things are moving for you now. You beat the beast before so now you know what you have to do to beat it again.
    Your cheerleaders are here routing for you. Continue to stay postive! Remember that little engine that couldnt, well Glenna, I know thats you the fighter!!
    Lots of prayers your way....

    I'm glad there is a plan.
    I'm glad there is a plan. As your said, the waiting is very hard. When you have things to do, your mind is occupied. That has always been best for me. Keeping you in my thoughts.

    Kim
  • AlanRinHBG
    AlanRinHBG Member Posts: 121
    bfp9548 said:

    I'm glad there is a plan.
    I'm glad there is a plan. As your said, the waiting is very hard. When you have things to do, your mind is occupied. That has always been best for me. Keeping you in my thoughts.

    Kim

    plans
    Hi glenna, connect the dots? Did you ever investigate Proton Therapy? It's a highly touted form of highly accurate radiation. There are only 9 sites in the U.S. that have it.So you are right about new treatments coming along to help us. It seems to evolve quickly. I hope you do great, I know you will. Alan
  • grannylove
    grannylove Member Posts: 183
    Glenna
    I am so glad they are moving quickly! I hope everything went well on your PFT and they can continue with the plan. You are in my thoughts and I pray daily for you to keep strong. You are an inspiration! God bless
    Cheryl
  • grannylove
    grannylove Member Posts: 183
    Glenna
    I am so glad they are moving quickly! I hope everything went well on your PFT and they can continue with the plan. You are in my thoughts and I pray daily for you to keep strong. You are an inspiration! God bless
    Cheryl
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576

    Glenna
    I am so glad they are moving quickly! I hope everything went well on your PFT and they can continue with the plan. You are in my thoughts and I pray daily for you to keep strong. You are an inspiration! God bless
    Cheryl

    Cheryl
    Unfortunately everything has changed since I posted this. Surgery was cancelled because my lung function was poor. The surgeon is scheduling an appointment for me to see a Pulmonologist before he will proceed. Wished they'd hurry up with my appointments because I hate sitting around doing nothing while these tumors could be growing.

    Trying to stay positive and have patience :)

    Glenna
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,411 Member
    Glenna M said:

    Cheryl
    Unfortunately everything has changed since I posted this. Surgery was cancelled because my lung function was poor. The surgeon is scheduling an appointment for me to see a Pulmonologist before he will proceed. Wished they'd hurry up with my appointments because I hate sitting around doing nothing while these tumors could be growing.

    Trying to stay positive and have patience :)

    Glenna

    Glenna
    Hello Glenna, I am so sorry for the delay. The pulmologist should be able to help get your breathing better. I know that there is lung rehab and hopfully that will help get your lung function up. Lori