Lung Nodules

Julie2011
Julie2011 Member Posts: 58
Been followed for lung nodules for 2 years. I didn't have my 4th CT until recently which was one year since my last 3 CT Scans. My 7 mm nodule is now 11 mm. I had a PET Scan which had an SUV of 0.7. Seeing a thorasic surgeon soon. I may need a biopsy. Anyone give me any insight to all of this?

Comments

  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,411 Member
    Julie
    I had a 7mm nodule that was rescanned 3 months later and after 3 months grew to 11mm. I had vats on 9-23-10 with the biopsy in the or. At this time it was dx as squamous cell Stage 1a lung cancer and the lower right lobe was removed. I was told because mine was so small a needle biopsy wouldn't due because they could miss the nodule and get good cells. Theres no way to tell what it is until its biopsied. If they cyberknife it, it will get destroyed and you will not know what it was. I wish you well. Lori.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Biopsies
    Don't panic! Keep breathing! Whatever you have grows very very slowly. There are various things that make nodules. They need to look at the cells under a microscope to see what it is. If it is cancer, they will be able to tell when they look at the cells. Biopsies are done in various ways. Sometimes the spot is high enough or close enough to the chest wall that a needle biopsy can be completed successfully. Sometimes the spot is so low or so centrally located that surgery is needed. If that is the case, please check into a VATS procedure. The recovery time is considerably less than conventional surgery.
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    cabbott said:

    Biopsies
    Don't panic! Keep breathing! Whatever you have grows very very slowly. There are various things that make nodules. They need to look at the cells under a microscope to see what it is. If it is cancer, they will be able to tell when they look at the cells. Biopsies are done in various ways. Sometimes the spot is high enough or close enough to the chest wall that a needle biopsy can be completed successfully. Sometimes the spot is so low or so centrally located that surgery is needed. If that is the case, please check into a VATS procedure. The recovery time is considerably less than conventional surgery.

    Cabbott is right. Don't
    Cabbott is right. Don't Panic, keep breathing. They may decide to look at the nodule again in a few months. The uptake from PET is considered very low for cancer, at least that is what I was told anything over 2.4 was considered cancer. The uptake from the PET Scan that I had was 2.5 and I was stage 1a cancer. That was 3 years ago. I have been NED since. Try to relax and try not to worry. If is does turn out to be something suspicious it seems it has been caught very early.
  • Julie2011
    Julie2011 Member Posts: 58
    catcon49 said:

    Cabbott is right. Don't
    Cabbott is right. Don't Panic, keep breathing. They may decide to look at the nodule again in a few months. The uptake from PET is considered very low for cancer, at least that is what I was told anything over 2.4 was considered cancer. The uptake from the PET Scan that I had was 2.5 and I was stage 1a cancer. That was 3 years ago. I have been NED since. Try to relax and try not to worry. If is does turn out to be something suspicious it seems it has been caught very early.

    Nodules
    Thanks so much. This has been consuming me - I can't sleep at night; having nightmares. I see the Thorasic Surgeon in 3 weeks and a needle biopsy was recommended after my PET Scan. So it seems that a needle biopsy can be done. I have been followed now with CT Scans for the past 2 years.

    I am (I guess you can say) very afraid of the unknown.

    I am also looking into CyberKife if it turns out to be malignant.

    Happy Memorial Day, Julie
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,411 Member
    Julie2011 said:

    Nodules
    Thanks so much. This has been consuming me - I can't sleep at night; having nightmares. I see the Thorasic Surgeon in 3 weeks and a needle biopsy was recommended after my PET Scan. So it seems that a needle biopsy can be done. I have been followed now with CT Scans for the past 2 years.

    I am (I guess you can say) very afraid of the unknown.

    I am also looking into CyberKife if it turns out to be malignant.

    Happy Memorial Day, Julie

    Julie
    I know how scary it is. I had a primary anal cancer and completed tx on 6-30-09, so I was being scanned every 4 months when the 7 mm lung nodule was found. The nodule was not in a place that a needle biopsy would reach and fear of a lung collapse. The lung cancer was a primary also and I had the vats on 9-23-10, and so far so good, my next scan is at the end of July.

    Please know that your nodule is so small and if indeed it is lung cancer it will have been treated at the earliest stage, which is 1a with a 85% cure rate. I wish that you didn't have to wait so long. I know with me the waiting was the hardest part, once you know what your dealing with, you may take action and will have more control over whats happening to you. I wish you well. Lori
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,411 Member
    z said:

    Julie
    I know how scary it is. I had a primary anal cancer and completed tx on 6-30-09, so I was being scanned every 4 months when the 7 mm lung nodule was found. The nodule was not in a place that a needle biopsy would reach and fear of a lung collapse. The lung cancer was a primary also and I had the vats on 9-23-10, and so far so good, my next scan is at the end of July.

    Please know that your nodule is so small and if indeed it is lung cancer it will have been treated at the earliest stage, which is 1a with a 85% cure rate. I wish that you didn't have to wait so long. I know with me the waiting was the hardest part, once you know what your dealing with, you may take action and will have more control over whats happening to you. I wish you well. Lori

    Julie one more thing
    You might wnat to check out the inspire web site. There are all types of health topics, a lot of support, experience, and also every stage of lung cancer there. I post on both, and find inspire truly inspiring.
  • Julie2011
    Julie2011 Member Posts: 58
    z said:

    Julie one more thing
    You might wnat to check out the inspire web site. There are all types of health topics, a lot of support, experience, and also every stage of lung cancer there. I post on both, and find inspire truly inspiring.

    Nodules
    Well the 3 week wait is my own doing. Me & my husband are taking a vacation mid June and I want to take my vacation before I go to the doctor. I know what you mean the waiting is terrible! I have been dealing with this for 2 years now and the waiting doesn't get better. How are you doing? It is a beautiful day and NO work today for me. I am cooking and trying to enjoy a day off from work!
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,411 Member
    Julie2011 said:

    Nodules
    Well the 3 week wait is my own doing. Me & my husband are taking a vacation mid June and I want to take my vacation before I go to the doctor. I know what you mean the waiting is terrible! I have been dealing with this for 2 years now and the waiting doesn't get better. How are you doing? It is a beautiful day and NO work today for me. I am cooking and trying to enjoy a day off from work!

    Julie
    I am doing fine. I feel fortunate that the cancers were caught early, and at my initial anal cancer dx I quit smoking after 35 years. I asked god for help in quitting smoking and he sure did help me. Now I pray for gentle help lol. I hope I didn't offend you by speaking of god. Its a beautiful day here too, and I hope you and your huspand have a great vacation. Lori
  • Julie2011
    Julie2011 Member Posts: 58
    z said:

    Julie
    I know how scary it is. I had a primary anal cancer and completed tx on 6-30-09, so I was being scanned every 4 months when the 7 mm lung nodule was found. The nodule was not in a place that a needle biopsy would reach and fear of a lung collapse. The lung cancer was a primary also and I had the vats on 9-23-10, and so far so good, my next scan is at the end of July.

    Please know that your nodule is so small and if indeed it is lung cancer it will have been treated at the earliest stage, which is 1a with a 85% cure rate. I wish that you didn't have to wait so long. I know with me the waiting was the hardest part, once you know what your dealing with, you may take action and will have more control over whats happening to you. I wish you well. Lori

    Nodules
    Glad to hear your doing well with the nodule in your lung. You are an inspiration to me - thank you for your knowledge you have shared with me. I hope we both do well and can put this behind us one of these days. God bless; from: Julie
  • Julie2011
    Julie2011 Member Posts: 58
    z said:

    Julie
    I know how scary it is. I had a primary anal cancer and completed tx on 6-30-09, so I was being scanned every 4 months when the 7 mm lung nodule was found. The nodule was not in a place that a needle biopsy would reach and fear of a lung collapse. The lung cancer was a primary also and I had the vats on 9-23-10, and so far so good, my next scan is at the end of July.

    Please know that your nodule is so small and if indeed it is lung cancer it will have been treated at the earliest stage, which is 1a with a 85% cure rate. I wish that you didn't have to wait so long. I know with me the waiting was the hardest part, once you know what your dealing with, you may take action and will have more control over whats happening to you. I wish you well. Lori

    Nodules
    Glad to hear your doing well with the nodule in your lung. You are an inspiration to me - thank you for your knowledge you have shared with me. I hope we both do well and can put this behind us one of these days. God bless; from: Julie
  • nancys
    nancys Member Posts: 323
    catcon49 said:

    Cabbott is right. Don't
    Cabbott is right. Don't Panic, keep breathing. They may decide to look at the nodule again in a few months. The uptake from PET is considered very low for cancer, at least that is what I was told anything over 2.4 was considered cancer. The uptake from the PET Scan that I had was 2.5 and I was stage 1a cancer. That was 3 years ago. I have been NED since. Try to relax and try not to worry. If is does turn out to be something suspicious it seems it has been caught very early.

    1.2 cm nodule
    Hello everyone, My husband has just been dx with transitional cell carcinoma in his kidney. A biopsy confirmed the cancer and he has prepared himself for the loss of the kidney. The CT and PET showed a 1.2cm soft tissue density right lung nodule. His urologist is sending him to a thoracic surgeon to give an opinion about the lung. My husband has had pneumonia recently ( that is what started all this ) and I feel this nodule may be infection or even scarring from past infections. I have read that this size nodule is difficult to biopsy and I am asking advice, if we should wait and watch before getting into a needle biopsy or anything else. Thanks for any ideas. Nan
  • grannylove
    grannylove Member Posts: 183
    nancys said:

    1.2 cm nodule
    Hello everyone, My husband has just been dx with transitional cell carcinoma in his kidney. A biopsy confirmed the cancer and he has prepared himself for the loss of the kidney. The CT and PET showed a 1.2cm soft tissue density right lung nodule. His urologist is sending him to a thoracic surgeon to give an opinion about the lung. My husband has had pneumonia recently ( that is what started all this ) and I feel this nodule may be infection or even scarring from past infections. I have read that this size nodule is difficult to biopsy and I am asking advice, if we should wait and watch before getting into a needle biopsy or anything else. Thanks for any ideas. Nan

    Sorry Nancy
    So sorry to hear about your husband. The experienced thoracic surgeon will know how to address this biopsy. My nodule was slightly larger (2.0 cm) and my surgeon never hesitated to have a needle biopsy done. He wanted to know what was in my lung. (unfortunately, it was positive) They use a scan to make sure they are in the right spot. The sooner you know, the better you both will feel. If it's nothing but infection.....Yippee....but if it is cancer then you both need to get on board with a tx plan. I pray all goes well with your husbands kidney surgery. Keep us posted on your husbands lung condition. God Bless Cheryl
  • nancys
    nancys Member Posts: 323

    Sorry Nancy
    So sorry to hear about your husband. The experienced thoracic surgeon will know how to address this biopsy. My nodule was slightly larger (2.0 cm) and my surgeon never hesitated to have a needle biopsy done. He wanted to know what was in my lung. (unfortunately, it was positive) They use a scan to make sure they are in the right spot. The sooner you know, the better you both will feel. If it's nothing but infection.....Yippee....but if it is cancer then you both need to get on board with a tx plan. I pray all goes well with your husbands kidney surgery. Keep us posted on your husbands lung condition. God Bless Cheryl

    grannylove, thank you
    Thank you for your reply. We are waiting for an appt with the thoracic surgeon. I agree that we need to know what this nodule is, especially since we have a positive dx for kidney cancer. The doctors were able to get enough tissue from your 2 cm nodule to dx. That is my concern that a 1.2cm nodule is too small to gain enough tissue from to be sure of the pathology. This waiting is the hardest part of any illness....causes the imagination to get too active. What has been your treatment and how are you doing now. Would like to keep in touch if you have the time. I had breast cancer 11 years ago and this forum was such a great help to my understanding and acceptance. My email is [email protected], Nan
  • Julie2011
    Julie2011 Member Posts: 58
    nancys said:

    grannylove, thank you
    Thank you for your reply. We are waiting for an appt with the thoracic surgeon. I agree that we need to know what this nodule is, especially since we have a positive dx for kidney cancer. The doctors were able to get enough tissue from your 2 cm nodule to dx. That is my concern that a 1.2cm nodule is too small to gain enough tissue from to be sure of the pathology. This waiting is the hardest part of any illness....causes the imagination to get too active. What has been your treatment and how are you doing now. Would like to keep in touch if you have the time. I had breast cancer 11 years ago and this forum was such a great help to my understanding and acceptance. My email is [email protected], Nan

    Nodule
    I finally got authorization to get my 1.1 cm (11 mm) nodule biopsied - scared - yes; but it is something I got to do. I have been living with this for over 2 years now - CT Scans - then a PET Scan, now a needle biopsy probably the first week of September. I hope the biopsy on your husband turns out to be an infection (and I hope mine is something other than cancer too) :). I will let you know how it goes for me. And I also have an appointment for a 2nd opinion with a throasic surgeon on Thursday. Wishing us all good news! Julie
  • grannylove
    grannylove Member Posts: 183
    Julie2011 said:

    Nodule
    I finally got authorization to get my 1.1 cm (11 mm) nodule biopsied - scared - yes; but it is something I got to do. I have been living with this for over 2 years now - CT Scans - then a PET Scan, now a needle biopsy probably the first week of September. I hope the biopsy on your husband turns out to be an infection (and I hope mine is something other than cancer too) :). I will let you know how it goes for me. And I also have an appointment for a 2nd opinion with a throasic surgeon on Thursday. Wishing us all good news! Julie

    Julie
    Hope all went well with the 2nd opinion. Prayers to you and keep us posted. Cheryl