Uncertainty abounds

Hi Y'All,

Just want to let you know that I'm still around and do read the board whenever I can. Right now I'm very busy with trying to get a very disorganized set of books (accounting records) ready for my tax accountant to make sense of. And I'm running out of time.

Last week was my first post-remission follow-up testing at MD Anderson. They did the full set of scans on Friday. Tuesday we got results. It turns our that the big mass in my abdomen has a small area that is showing increased activity. It MIGHT be malignancy, but they are not sure. So now we are waiting for a needle biopsy to be scheduled (probably next week) so that they can determine what is really there and how it should be treated. I've done well in my recovery since the end of chemo - not 100% as John says, but making acceptable progress. My hair has grown back and I can usually get through a reasonable exercise routine. Really not looking forward to the possibility of more chemo.

Well, C'est la vie.

Seems like life keeps getting busier and I really don't need a set-back right now. (I guess we all could say that couldn't we?)

I'll try to keep you all posted. And you all have my most fervent wishes for complete and speedy healing.

Tom (DLBCL-Stage 4-7/10-Remission?)

Comments

  • miss maggie
    miss maggie Member Posts: 929
    Taxes and ????
    Hi Tom,

    I know the feeling of panic getting ready to do my taxes. I usually have mine done by now, but not this year. I always have my papers just so, but I still find doing taxes a burden. Everything is too much for me now.

    I am sorry to hear the results of the scans showed increased activity. You say "the big mass in your abdomen area". I didn't realize the mass was still there? I know this is easy said than done, but please keep positive, until you know for sure. At least MD Anderson is getting started right away, and not making you wait for the biopsy. You are in the best hands possible.

    It seemed so far away when I was scheduled to see my oncologist. The date is slowly creeping up. May 9, 2011. I have a small knot in my stomach just thinking of it. Things change.

    I will keep you in my prayers as I do all. Love Maggie

    extranodal marginal zone b cell NHL remisssion Jan 2011
  • yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591

    Taxes and ????
    Hi Tom,

    I know the feeling of panic getting ready to do my taxes. I usually have mine done by now, but not this year. I always have my papers just so, but I still find doing taxes a burden. Everything is too much for me now.

    I am sorry to hear the results of the scans showed increased activity. You say "the big mass in your abdomen area". I didn't realize the mass was still there? I know this is easy said than done, but please keep positive, until you know for sure. At least MD Anderson is getting started right away, and not making you wait for the biopsy. You are in the best hands possible.

    It seemed so far away when I was scheduled to see my oncologist. The date is slowly creeping up. May 9, 2011. I have a small knot in my stomach just thinking of it. Things change.

    I will keep you in my prayers as I do all. Love Maggie

    extranodal marginal zone b cell NHL remisssion Jan 2011

    That Sucks!!!
    Hi Tom,

    I think that really sucks big time! I'm so sorry that you have to have a biopsy even if it's only a FNA. It just doesn't seem fair and I'm hopping for the increased uptake being caused by inflamation and not cancer. My Oncs no longer want PET scans because I light up in areas and biopsys turn up normal tissue, thank G-D. That has happened 3 times. So they rely on CTs until the nodes shows adenopathy. I will be sending prayers and good wishes that this is just a fluke.

    And the best of wishes on those income taxes. My husband finished oours last week, thankfully there is a Turbo tax. Also first time in 4 or 5 yrs we got a refund.

    Blessings to you,
    Leslie
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    Dang...
    Hi Tom,
    Boy howdy..I ask the lord every single day to watch over me and grace me with a long extended period of time to continue recovery. Our new boat will be here the first of May,baby Lizzy is due on May 9th and we have 11 days reserved at our favorite fishing cottage down on the river during the last week of May. No time for a set back! I am so sorry you have to even think about any new cancer problems, but until you know for sure, we need to keep thinking positive! I'll keep you in my prayers and will anxiously await further news from you. Hang in there friend and know we are always here for you. Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043
    allmost60 said:

    Dang...
    Hi Tom,
    Boy howdy..I ask the lord every single day to watch over me and grace me with a long extended period of time to continue recovery. Our new boat will be here the first of May,baby Lizzy is due on May 9th and we have 11 days reserved at our favorite fishing cottage down on the river during the last week of May. No time for a set back! I am so sorry you have to even think about any new cancer problems, but until you know for sure, we need to keep thinking positive! I'll keep you in my prayers and will anxiously await further news from you. Hang in there friend and know we are always here for you. Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

    Setback
    I'm glad to know you are still around even if only in reading. I'm sorry you are showing something to be tested, but you are being taken care of in one of the best centers around.

    I can completely relate to the world of relapse as you well know. I go tomorrow to talk to KU Hospital for consultation on stem cell transplant. I am terrified. I just really want to get started on my treanda so I can get this show on the road. The sooner we begin, the sooner I get done.

    I am exhausted emotionally and very tired physically, just seems like the stress never stops even during sleep. It makes my job in customer service a true challenge. I don't want to be nice during times like this. LOL

    My thoughts are with you,

    Take Care Tom,

    Beth
  • truckingalong
    truckingalong Member Posts: 444
    dixiegirl said:

    Setback
    I'm glad to know you are still around even if only in reading. I'm sorry you are showing something to be tested, but you are being taken care of in one of the best centers around.

    I can completely relate to the world of relapse as you well know. I go tomorrow to talk to KU Hospital for consultation on stem cell transplant. I am terrified. I just really want to get started on my treanda so I can get this show on the road. The sooner we begin, the sooner I get done.

    I am exhausted emotionally and very tired physically, just seems like the stress never stops even during sleep. It makes my job in customer service a true challenge. I don't want to be nice during times like this. LOL

    My thoughts are with you,

    Take Care Tom,

    Beth

    Sending prayers
    Tom and Beth,

    Sorry to hear of setbacks and being the warriors, you will get through. Thinking of you with lots of luck.

    Liz
  • onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member
    We're with you
    Tom,

    Sorry to hear about this setback. Sending prayers to you!
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    Tom,
    Just wondering...Did you ever reach remission at all? You probably said,but with the chemo brain I can not remember. John(FNHL-1-4A-5/10)
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    COBRA666 said:

    Tom,
    Just wondering...Did you ever reach remission at all? You probably said,but with the chemo brain I can not remember. John(FNHL-1-4A-5/10)

    John/Tom's remission...
    Hi John,
    I went back and looked through Posts made in January and found the one Tom wrote about his remission.Tom wrote...
    _________________________________________
    Best Christmas Gift...Jan.22nd 2011

    Hi Y'All,

    Sorry that I have not had time to read the posts since I got back from Houston. But I wanted to let you all know that my onc at MD Anderson told us that I AM IN REMISSION!!!!

    He said that I still have several masses in various places, but that nothing is active. All I have to do is go down for full testing every 3 months to watch for refractory disease -- but, for now, the cancer is gone!

    Thanks to everyone for your help and support.

    I'll get back to the Board a little later.

    Hope you all have a great Christmas.

    Tom (DLBCL-4-710)
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    allmost60 said:

    John/Tom's remission...
    Hi John,
    I went back and looked through Posts made in January and found the one Tom wrote about his remission.Tom wrote...
    _________________________________________
    Best Christmas Gift...Jan.22nd 2011

    Hi Y'All,

    Sorry that I have not had time to read the posts since I got back from Houston. But I wanted to let you all know that my onc at MD Anderson told us that I AM IN REMISSION!!!!

    He said that I still have several masses in various places, but that nothing is active. All I have to do is go down for full testing every 3 months to watch for refractory disease -- but, for now, the cancer is gone!

    Thanks to everyone for your help and support.

    I'll get back to the Board a little later.

    Hope you all have a great Christmas.

    Tom (DLBCL-4-710)

    Thank You
    Sue,
    Thanks. I know I can always depend on you. John
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032
    COBRA666 said:

    Thank You
    Sue,
    Thanks. I know I can always depend on you. John

    tom
    Hey Tom I hope it's nothing, I agree set backs do suck!!!! I wish you well Vinny