A bit of America in The Netherlands....

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028
We invited some of our dear dutch friends over for an 'American' meal...

Well, at least for my family, in the spring...

It was chicken taquitos with guac (appetizer), roast lamb, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, and persimmon cookies with ice cream...mmmmm!

....And I did it all myself!!! I'm soooo proud!

What would YOUR dinner be?

Dutch knuffels, Kathi

Comments

  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278
    BBQ
    Yours sounds great!

    We do either BBQ Ribs, Corn on the cob, etc... or Stuffed Turkey, Sweet Potatoes, Cranberry sauce, etc... Both dinners are sooo American.

    If they are here for a while we will also do a Mexican Dinner. Enchiladas, Carnitas, etc...
    Best Always! mike
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331
    thxmiker said:

    BBQ
    Yours sounds great!

    We do either BBQ Ribs, Corn on the cob, etc... or Stuffed Turkey, Sweet Potatoes, Cranberry sauce, etc... Both dinners are sooo American.

    If they are here for a while we will also do a Mexican Dinner. Enchiladas, Carnitas, etc...
    Best Always! mike

    Had Provolone and a grilled
    Steak.Do you know provolone?
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Southern Meal
    Being a good southerner will give you my grandfather's favorite meal.

    Southern Fried Chicken
    Mashed Potatoes with gravy
    Green Beans
    Cole Slaw
    Corn on the cob
    Sweet tea

    with Apple Pie for dessert.

    Of course back in those days, all the produce came from his own garden and he even raised the chicken.
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673
    All these dinners sound great!
    We like to try different things. The most recent new dish we made was Indian-inspired curried chicken, cooked in a crockpot. You only have ~ 5 ingredients. It was delicious + I would serve it on rice with a cucumber side salad. Probably would start with pumpkin soup + maybe finish with a heart-friendly apple crisp.

    forgot the wine!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028
    thxmiker said:

    BBQ
    Yours sounds great!

    We do either BBQ Ribs, Corn on the cob, etc... or Stuffed Turkey, Sweet Potatoes, Cranberry sauce, etc... Both dinners are sooo American.

    If they are here for a while we will also do a Mexican Dinner. Enchiladas, Carnitas, etc...
    Best Always! mike

    MMMM...BBQ! Great, Mike!
    It's a bit cold here now for that, but, yeah, in the summer, all the dutch cook outside...

    Dutch knuffels, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028
    pepebcn said:

    Had Provolone and a grilled
    Steak.Do you know provolone?

    Yes, Pepe...even we 'unsophisticated dutch' know it....
    ....although, not as a REAL cheese...ROFL!!!

    Now, my American self LOVES steak and provolone....mmmm...

    Dutch knuffels, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028

    Southern Meal
    Being a good southerner will give you my grandfather's favorite meal.

    Southern Fried Chicken
    Mashed Potatoes with gravy
    Green Beans
    Cole Slaw
    Corn on the cob
    Sweet tea

    with Apple Pie for dessert.

    Of course back in those days, all the produce came from his own garden and he even raised the chicken.

    When I taught computer classes in Atlanta...
    One of my students took me 'home' for dinner...this was my dinner...DELISH!!!

    Dutch knuffels, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028
    AnneCan said:

    All these dinners sound great!
    We like to try different things. The most recent new dish we made was Indian-inspired curried chicken, cooked in a crockpot. You only have ~ 5 ingredients. It was delicious + I would serve it on rice with a cucumber side salad. Probably would start with pumpkin soup + maybe finish with a heart-friendly apple crisp.

    forgot the wine!

    I got my first taste of pumpkin soup here in Holland....
    Not only does it taste great, but also looks so pretty!

    I do miss my 'American' India food....counting down it's 4 weeks till our country switch. One of the first places I'll head is my Indian food restaurant!!

    Dutch knuffels, Kathi