2nd Treatment Question

lagwag
lagwag Member Posts: 76
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My Mom has her 2nd Treatment on the 1st of Feb. Her 1st Treatment went very well and hopefuly this will continue along the way. She had her appt. today to check her counts which where good, but she did loose a few pounds so the Drs will keep an eye on that.

My question . . . at the next Treatment and going forward she will start Avastin. I've seen many serious side effects that can occur. Just wondering if anyone has had any bad experience with this medication.

As always, please continue to keep my Mom in your prayers, as I will do the same for you.

Thanks - Liz

Comments

  • grannyc
    grannyc Member Posts: 63
    Avastin
    I was on Avastin and didn't have any side effects until into my 6th month when I had a hard time getting my blood pressure controled. My BP would be real high after my Avastin treatment but once we found the right BP medication I was fine.

    Avastin seems to work well for me.

    Hope this helps
    GrannyC
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201
    Avastin
    The only side effect that I seem to get from Avastin is a runny nose that has blood in it when I blow. I don't have the bp issue or bloody noses. Sometimes I will get sinus headaches too.

    Catherine
  • LynnLaura
    LynnLaura Member Posts: 4
    Avastin
    Hi Liz. I've been getting chemo for almost three years now. My next round will be #57. I've been on Avastin for the the majority of the time. I think the only side effect I've had is the high blood pressure. I just started taking a med for it. It wasn't terribly high, but since I will be continuing with Avastin from here on out, my oncologist wanted me on meds for it. I've also experienced the runny nose too. Other that that, I'm good with it. Best wishes for your Mom..
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624
    Avastin
    Liz, I was on Avastin last year, and started back on it this morning. I haven't had any side effects from it. I started out with High Blood Pressure before cancer, and my doc keeps a close eye on it.
    Winter Marie
  • lagwag
    lagwag Member Posts: 76
    grannyc said:

    Avastin
    I was on Avastin and didn't have any side effects until into my 6th month when I had a hard time getting my blood pressure controled. My BP would be real high after my Avastin treatment but once we found the right BP medication I was fine.

    Avastin seems to work well for me.

    Hope this helps
    GrannyC

    GrannyC
    Thanks - glad to

    GrannyC

    Thanks - glad to hear that Avastin works fine with you.

    All the best - Liz
  • lagwag
    lagwag Member Posts: 76
    C Dixon said:

    Avastin
    The only side effect that I seem to get from Avastin is a runny nose that has blood in it when I blow. I don't have the bp issue or bloody noses. Sometimes I will get sinus headaches too.

    Catherine

    Catherine -
    Thank you. As

    Catherine -

    Thank you. As you said, once you find out that you or a loved one is diag. with cancer your life is never the same. I can only hope and pray that my Mom will beat cancer!

    All the best - Liz
  • lagwag
    lagwag Member Posts: 76
    LynnLaura said:

    Avastin
    Hi Liz. I've been getting chemo for almost three years now. My next round will be #57. I've been on Avastin for the the majority of the time. I think the only side effect I've had is the high blood pressure. I just started taking a med for it. It wasn't terribly high, but since I will be continuing with Avastin from here on out, my oncologist wanted me on meds for it. I've also experienced the runny nose too. Other that that, I'm good with it. Best wishes for your Mom..

    LynnLaura -
    Thank you. I am

    LynnLaura -

    Thank you. I am glad that you were able to handle Avastin.

    All the best - Liz
  • lagwag
    lagwag Member Posts: 76

    Avastin
    Liz, I was on Avastin last year, and started back on it this morning. I haven't had any side effects from it. I started out with High Blood Pressure before cancer, and my doc keeps a close eye on it.
    Winter Marie

    Winter Marie -
    Thank you.

    Winter Marie -

    Thank you.

    All the best - Liz
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673
    Hi Liz
    I have been on avastin since Sept/09 + the only side effect I have had is a runny nose w/blood.
  • tesslee
    tesslee Member Posts: 97
    AnneCan said:

    Hi Liz
    I have been on avastin since Sept/09 + the only side effect I have had is a runny nose w/blood.

    hi Liz
    i've been on avastin since April of last year. i have nose scabs and my nose will bleed once in a while. not bad. i have high blood pressure which just started in the last month. doc just put me on meds. the other side effect i have is balance issues. if i close my eyes i start to sway. but even with eyes open if i move or turn too fast i get off balance. tess
  • lagwag
    lagwag Member Posts: 76
    AnneCan said:

    Hi Liz
    I have been on avastin since Sept/09 + the only side effect I have had is a runny nose w/blood.

    AnneCan
    Thank You - I am

    AnneCan

    Thank You - I am glad you were able to handle Avastin so well.

    All The Best - Liz
  • lagwag
    lagwag Member Posts: 76
    tesslee said:

    hi Liz
    i've been on avastin since April of last year. i have nose scabs and my nose will bleed once in a while. not bad. i have high blood pressure which just started in the last month. doc just put me on meds. the other side effect i have is balance issues. if i close my eyes i start to sway. but even with eyes open if i move or turn too fast i get off balance. tess

    Thank You Tess -
    I

    Thank You Tess -

    I appreciate your imput -

    All The Best - Liz