Using Replens for vaginal dryness

Michaelynn
Michaelynn Member Posts: 83 Member
edited March 2014 in Uterine Cancer #1
Is anyone with UPSC cancer using replens for vaginal dryness? I don't think it has any hormones or estrogen in it. Any other ideas what to use for those of us who can't use prescription creams? Any help would be appreciated.

Lynn

Comments

  • kansasgal
    kansasgal Member Posts: 121 Member
    Vaginal lubrication
    In the course of treatment I was diagnosed with both adenocarcinoma and UPSC. My gyn/onc recommended both Astroglide and Replens as lubricants for my vaginal dilator. Neither has a hormonal component. You might try both and see which works best for you to alleviate the vaginal dryness.

    Good luck!

    Sally
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561
    kansasgal said:

    Vaginal lubrication
    In the course of treatment I was diagnosed with both adenocarcinoma and UPSC. My gyn/onc recommended both Astroglide and Replens as lubricants for my vaginal dilator. Neither has a hormonal component. You might try both and see which works best for you to alleviate the vaginal dryness.

    Good luck!

    Sally

    I use the Astroglide
    I have good success with Astroglide. I have never tried Replens. Sally had a good recommendation to try them both and see what you like. In peace and caring.
  • susafina
    susafina Member Posts: 131
    Ro10 said:

    I use the Astroglide
    I have good success with Astroglide. I have never tried Replens. Sally had a good recommendation to try them both and see what you like. In peace and caring.

    Hi Lynn,

    As treatment ended I saw a sexual health counselor as part of my post treatment regime. She really advocates using Replens about 2 to 3 times a week. She explained that it is like using moisturizer on your face or hands. The replens acts as a moisturizer which keeps the vaginal tissue moist and pliable. She said studies have shown that itiis important for vaginaal health. There are no hormones in it so it safe. This is used in addition to a lubricant needed for the dilators and intercourse. She also said that it will be needed for the rest of your life. And for all of us that will be a very long time!!
    SUE
  • Michaelynn
    Michaelynn Member Posts: 83 Member
    susafina said:

    Hi Lynn,

    As treatment ended I saw a sexual health counselor as part of my post treatment regime. She really advocates using Replens about 2 to 3 times a week. She explained that it is like using moisturizer on your face or hands. The replens acts as a moisturizer which keeps the vaginal tissue moist and pliable. She said studies have shown that itiis important for vaginaal health. There are no hormones in it so it safe. This is used in addition to a lubricant needed for the dilators and intercourse. She also said that it will be needed for the rest of your life. And for all of us that will be a very long time!!
    SUE

    Vaginal dryness
    Thank You to all who have replied. I really appreciate the advice. I am using some kind of water pasted lubrication with the dilator that my oncologist gave me but some days it works and other days I have a problem removing the dilator when my time is up. I have tried adding more and more lubrication but some days after using the dilator for 5-10 minutes it just seems to stick to the walls of my vagina and is hard to get it to slide back out. Other days I can just let it slide out by itself. I also have a narrowing of the vagina in a couple of places one being just an inch inside the vaginal opening which makes penetration nearly impossible. I have gone from the smallest dilator to the medium one to try to remedy this problem but it has only been 1 week since I got the medium dilator so hopefully over time it will stretch it more. they also gave me the large dilator but i don't think that one is ever going to fit. I had 3 C sections so the vagina never stretched. I think that maybe part of the problem also.

    Lynn
  • susafina
    susafina Member Posts: 131

    Vaginal dryness
    Thank You to all who have replied. I really appreciate the advice. I am using some kind of water pasted lubrication with the dilator that my oncologist gave me but some days it works and other days I have a problem removing the dilator when my time is up. I have tried adding more and more lubrication but some days after using the dilator for 5-10 minutes it just seems to stick to the walls of my vagina and is hard to get it to slide back out. Other days I can just let it slide out by itself. I also have a narrowing of the vagina in a couple of places one being just an inch inside the vaginal opening which makes penetration nearly impossible. I have gone from the smallest dilator to the medium one to try to remedy this problem but it has only been 1 week since I got the medium dilator so hopefully over time it will stretch it more. they also gave me the large dilator but i don't think that one is ever going to fit. I had 3 C sections so the vagina never stretched. I think that maybe part of the problem also.

    Lynn

    vaginal dryness
    Hi again Lynn,
    Since you had 3 C sections I would suggest to check with your Doc to make sure you haven't diveloped some adhesions that wpould makes insertion and removal difficult.
    But also try the replens that should ,ake insertion easier. Use the smaller dilator until you can easily remove it with out discomfort. Also another suggestion is to rotate the dilator while in place to spred the lubrication around. This can help with the removal. I know how annoying this whole thing can be. Treatment is hard enough to deal with but the side effects can also be very trying.
    SUE