Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

CT scan

abmb
abmb Member Posts: 311
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Question for anyone, my husband's CEA is very low, good news, but my question is this: November 2009 -- CEA 1.8; April -- CEA .7; July -- CEA 1. He has had pain in lower left adomen for quite a while, back and forth to ER and family dr. this past monday had a ct scan done and everything looked good. no metasis. Great. Pain must be related to his bad back, dr. said, but told me that i should keep an eye on him and let him know if things get any worse or stay the same. He has another CT Scan scheduled in Oct. ordered from his onc. my question is: Should I cancel this one or keep it, since he just had one. Not sure because why did his CEA climb a little. Just me being paranoid. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you everyone, I know this is petty of me since he is doing so well. God Bless, Margaret

Comments

  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043
    My Opinion....do the scan
    When my CEA rose they scanned me and yes found a growth but mine went from 2 to 9.7 then to 10.4. The scan very well may save me by detected lung growth so early...time will tell, but given the fact that the ONC wants it done, nothing lost but a little time, and everything to gain ...Peace of mind being one of them. Your choice, but if your asking me what I would do, well I did do the scan, and it may very well save my life.......Love and Hope to you and yours in whatever decision you make........Buzz
  • abmb
    abmb Member Posts: 311
    Buzzard said:

    My Opinion....do the scan
    When my CEA rose they scanned me and yes found a growth but mine went from 2 to 9.7 then to 10.4. The scan very well may save me by detected lung growth so early...time will tell, but given the fact that the ONC wants it done, nothing lost but a little time, and everything to gain ...Peace of mind being one of them. Your choice, but if your asking me what I would do, well I did do the scan, and it may very well save my life.......Love and Hope to you and yours in whatever decision you make........Buzz

    I read
    Buzz, I read a lot of your posts, so I am going to ask you this. Do you normally have ct scans done or pet scans? His onc. really wanted him to have a pet scan last dec. but he declined and asked for a ct scan, i think that is why his doc ordered a ct for oct. of this year. Now my husband has changed his mind and wants a pet scan. I am told that pet scans and ct scans are used together to make comparisons. If this was you would you ask for the pet or stay with the ct. I do value your opinion. I really do know that my husband is one of the lucky ones, he doesn't even know that his cea went up a hair. sometimes the less he knows the better he feels. i would definitely tell him if it were something to worry about. keep in touch. God Bless you. Margaret
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043
    abmb said:

    I read
    Buzz, I read a lot of your posts, so I am going to ask you this. Do you normally have ct scans done or pet scans? His onc. really wanted him to have a pet scan last dec. but he declined and asked for a ct scan, i think that is why his doc ordered a ct for oct. of this year. Now my husband has changed his mind and wants a pet scan. I am told that pet scans and ct scans are used together to make comparisons. If this was you would you ask for the pet or stay with the ct. I do value your opinion. I really do know that my husband is one of the lucky ones, he doesn't even know that his cea went up a hair. sometimes the less he knows the better he feels. i would definitely tell him if it were something to worry about. keep in touch. God Bless you. Margaret

    I have had neither...for 2 years...he simply ......
    watched my blood counts and enzyme levels and determined when my CEA started to elevate that we had activity after checking it twice in one week, he then and then only ordered a PET scan to see if there was indeed activity. I am pretty sure that if he didn't see anything lite up that he would have never ordered a CT. I wouldn't think there would have been a need....PET scans in my opinion show miniscule cell activity and CTs show more tumor or mass and when they are held side by side the ONC or surgeon gets a much more detailed idea on what they are dealing with. In my mind it would let them know whether it was a metastasis or a primary cancer by the amount of "scattered" activity that lights up on a PET or if it shows no scattered cells then along with a CT they may determine the route to take be it a primary where they may opt to simply remove for best end result or if metastasis they may make other plans to do maintenance chemo instead of surgery and still not remove all cancer. It is a gamble in any event but I myself always like playing the safe bet (if there is ever one in this game) and opt for the scans, or if just one take the PET scan, and then you will have done everything in your arsenal..and if all comes back clear, then you have as much peace of mind as possible...Remember, its never 100% but I am hedging all my bets by doing both. I want you and him to decide, but not for any reasons that I have, all people are different and have different opinions on scans and radiation exposures and such.Simply use this as a tool to help you make the best choices for your husbands health....Love and Hope to you and yours, Buzz
  • vhtqm1
    vhtqm1 Member Posts: 107
    PET scan Yes
    one thing you mentioned was 'pain on the left hand side of abdomen.' this is an area (and i don't know the history) where a resection would have been, and or where a tumor and or nodule could form and lets not forget a possible blockage of the intestines could result in pain in this area. if i'm understanding correctly you were offered a PET scan and it was declined? i would try and get the PET scan with the CT scan. my expereince just recently ((and it was me that pushed for the PET scan)) anyway, when i finally got them to agree to do one it showed growth in the peritoneal lining on the same side ( left ) that wasn't seen in the CT scan. your CEA really hasn't changed too much where alarms go off but keep an eye on them.

    ed
  • abmb
    abmb Member Posts: 311
    vhtqm1 said:

    PET scan Yes
    one thing you mentioned was 'pain on the left hand side of abdomen.' this is an area (and i don't know the history) where a resection would have been, and or where a tumor and or nodule could form and lets not forget a possible blockage of the intestines could result in pain in this area. if i'm understanding correctly you were offered a PET scan and it was declined? i would try and get the PET scan with the CT scan. my expereince just recently ((and it was me that pushed for the PET scan)) anyway, when i finally got them to agree to do one it showed growth in the peritoneal lining on the same side ( left ) that wasn't seen in the CT scan. your CEA really hasn't changed too much where alarms go off but keep an eye on them.

    ed

    Thanks, Buzz & Ed
    Thanks, guys for your input. He will probably opt for the PET scan in Oct. this way maybe they will be able to compare to his CT Scan of this week. His CEA levels will be taken again the week after his scan in Oct. I do wish it would be the week before, would give us a better idea of which one to really push for. As always, I will keep all in my thoughts & Prayers. God Bless. Margaret
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679
    abmb said:

    Thanks, Buzz & Ed
    Thanks, guys for your input. He will probably opt for the PET scan in Oct. this way maybe they will be able to compare to his CT Scan of this week. His CEA levels will be taken again the week after his scan in Oct. I do wish it would be the week before, would give us a better idea of which one to really push for. As always, I will keep all in my thoughts & Prayers. God Bless. Margaret

    Hey Margaret - Thanks for
    Hey Margaret - Thanks for asking this question. I learned a lot from Buzz and Ed.
    I just wanted to jump in and say that I think you last idea is very sound. It's easy to take a CEA and the results will help you make a decision. Don't wish for it. Insist on it. There is no reason for the doctor to say no.
    Take care. Talk to you soon. Many sparks.
    Roger
  • ktlcs
    ktlcs Member Posts: 358
    Crow71 said:

    Hey Margaret - Thanks for
    Hey Margaret - Thanks for asking this question. I learned a lot from Buzz and Ed.
    I just wanted to jump in and say that I think you last idea is very sound. It's easy to take a CEA and the results will help you make a decision. Don't wish for it. Insist on it. There is no reason for the doctor to say no.
    Take care. Talk to you soon. Many sparks.
    Roger

    If I might butt in
    Hank had PET/CT scans. This was both a Pet and a CT done at the same time and then each test was read separately and then overlaid together and read again. The CT shows mass and the PET shows metabolic activity, or how active the cells are. Then overlaid the docs get a full picture. The only drawback you might have is that if he's never had a PET before than there is no baseline to compare to. In any event our onc believes the PET/CT to be the way to go. Whatever decision you make, as Roger said, insist on it, don't let the Drs or an insu co for that matter influence what you want. He is the patient and it is his life in the balance...not theirs.

    Good Luck


    K
  • Doug_B
    Doug_B Member Posts: 27
    Do the scan
    abmb,

    If the docs ordered a scan, do it. Better safe than sorry,

    Doug
  • abmb
    abmb Member Posts: 311
    Doug_B said:

    Do the scan
    abmb,

    If the docs ordered a scan, do it. Better safe than sorry,

    Doug

    Thanks
    Thank you so much everyone for the time you took to reply to my post. I will insist that we keep the scan we have scheduled for oct., just have them switch it to a Pet scan so that in the future if another is needed they will have one as a base line. Thanks again for all your help and support. Take care & God Bless. Margaret