CSN Login
Members Online: 6

You are here

Next step for GBM?

Posts: 19
Joined: Jun 2010

My DH was DX'd with GBM in March- he had surgery (removed 80%), then radiation and Temodar with one maintenance dose of Temodar when an MRI showed signs of growth- so we switched to CPT-11 and Avastin. He's had 4 doses of that, and will have 2 more- then the Oncologist wants to review the MRI's again and meet- to decide if we'll stay with this course or go another route. His last MRI had mixed reviews- the neuro surgeon (who has been instrumental with all of this- did initial DX and all) thought it looked better then the previous MRI, while the Oncologist said he didn't think it was any different. Both wanted to wait and see with the next MRI.

He is scheduled for his next MRI next Thursday.

SO- does anyone know of a "Next step" in treatment of GBM? As far as I've been able to tell, all I've seen are Temodar and CPT-11/Avastin... Is that all there is for standard treatment? Are Clinical trials the only other option? I can tell you, travel would be murderous for him and I at this point... I simply can't imagine it.

Posts: 2
Joined: Jul 2010

My husband was diagnosed with a GBM 4 in 2004. His treatment has consisted of the same medications. However, his neurosurgeon has also treated him with gamma knife surgery which is a non-invasive neurosurgical procedure that uses powerful doses of radiation to target and treat diseased brain tissue while leaving surrounding tissue intact. I know that this in conjunction with the medications have helped to resolve at least one of my husband's tumors and to decrease and/or keep others static.

Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 2010

MrsPlate, We conferred with Duke - The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center who suggested typical radiation & temodar but recommended adding Avastin. We have not found anyone in our area willing to administer Avastin outside of a Clinical Trial, which he is ineligible for. Duke pushes the envelope but other physicians will not comply because it is not considered the standard of care. It's very frustrating. I believe my husband will decide to take the standard treatment because it's just too difficult to do it any other way. Have you contacted Duke? They might have other options. Here's the link: http://www.cancer.duke.edu/btc/ But, I think you may be right in that there aren't other "Standard Treatments" available right now. I hope in some small way this will have helped.

Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 2010

I have been on avastin for the past yr (dx fbm 2007 univ o Wisconsin does avastin wo clinical trial. It is FDA approved. It has a a topped working for me and we are trying radiation again

Posts: 358
Joined: Aug 2009

My husband was on Avastin. I also believe it is FDA approved for brain cancer. The initial
results were very good, a significant decrease in tumor size. It did stop working after two cycles.

Subscribe to Comments for "Next step for GBM?"