Celebrate Life

hopeful and optimistic
hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,333 Member
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
When we enter this site, we see in large print , CELEBRATE LIFE, so we can feel better about ourselves, please , as you do something nice to celebrate life please post at this thread........no negatives...only positive experiences, etc allowed. Just post from time to time as you do something nice.....I believe that this exercise will be uplifting.

To start, I like to play the ukulele, so this weekend I went to an fair for Islanders and Hawaiians where I listened to, and met some really great ukulele players and other musicians who play with them......We went on Saturday and experience was really great, so we came back on Sunday.
«1

Comments

  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    Great idea! There are two
    Great idea! There are two things I love to do. I am a Church Organist and enjoy playing the organ for church. It is uplifting to me to provide this part of the worship service. I played the organ for two church services this weekend.

    The second thing I enjoy is helping at our church school with a rumage sale they have yearly as a fund raiser. Our church school has about 80 students and this sale is for 3 days the last Wed, Thur, Friday of July. All items are donated. They have been having the sale for about 12 years now. Last year the Gross sales from all of these donated Items was $24,000.00! Yes and that is not a typo that was gross for one year! It is unbelievable how the sale has grown. The day of the sale people from the community line up 3 hours ahead of time to be one of the first ones into the sale.

    We no longer have children at this school but anything we can do to help is appreciated.

    Larry
  • jminnj
    jminnj Member Posts: 129
    This Summer
    Wow! Celebrate Life! Let me tell about my spring/summer so far. Went to NYC to see a Broadway play, have seen three great concerts (1. Sugarland, 2. James Taylor & Carole King, 3. Lady Antebellum & Tim McGraw), went to Charleston and Hilton Head Island for 10 days (Yorktown, Golf, Beach, etc). In September I am going to see the rock band Rush on two separate occasions. Once with some friends here in NJ and then later in the month with my son, down by his school (Clemson). We have been throwing some parties at our house this summer, and will be going to my high school reunion in October (30 years). So as you can see, it has been a summer filled with fun and we are enjoying every minute of it.

    Joe
  • daughter27
    daughter27 Member Posts: 38
    jminnj said:

    This Summer
    Wow! Celebrate Life! Let me tell about my spring/summer so far. Went to NYC to see a Broadway play, have seen three great concerts (1. Sugarland, 2. James Taylor & Carole King, 3. Lady Antebellum & Tim McGraw), went to Charleston and Hilton Head Island for 10 days (Yorktown, Golf, Beach, etc). In September I am going to see the rock band Rush on two separate occasions. Once with some friends here in NJ and then later in the month with my son, down by his school (Clemson). We have been throwing some parties at our house this summer, and will be going to my high school reunion in October (30 years). So as you can see, it has been a summer filled with fun and we are enjoying every minute of it.

    Joe

    celebrating life
    Guys so glad to hear that you are doing so many great things...

    as you know I have been running through the computer searching searching searching for Dad's info and fretting over all the questions.

    After reading Ira's post I headed out to the garden...fresh air...a friend stopping over...doing some work in the garden...sitting under the tree reading made me realise that there are indeed lots of options for Dad...and that life is pretty great after all...

    @Ira thinking of you playing the ukulale put a smile on my face...cool stuff

    @Larry..I am sure the church values you there...I have a surragate Grandmother over here that is 94 and used to play the organ for church...she remembers that time fondly

    @Joe - Thinking of the RUSH concert made me think of "I love you man" summer movie from last year...if you haven't seen it GO...they are big RUSH fans and a true classic

    You are right reading through everyone's ways of celebrating life does bring joy...

    Thanks again...I needed those smiles today :D
    Sandy
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 931 Member
    some days I can enter into
    some days I can enter into this celebration, and honestly, some days I can't.

    Tonight I am mellow and content, and glad that so far the cancer has been checked.

    My next blood draw comes up this week. My last 6 month shot of eligard ended on April 20, but there is still a very small pellet still in my abdomen- but its almost gone.
    I am so glad to that that stuff working its way out of my system.
  • 142
    142 Member Posts: 169
    Trew said:

    some days I can enter into
    some days I can enter into this celebration, and honestly, some days I can't.

    Tonight I am mellow and content, and glad that so far the cancer has been checked.

    My next blood draw comes up this week. My last 6 month shot of eligard ended on April 20, but there is still a very small pellet still in my abdomen- but its almost gone.
    I am so glad to that that stuff working its way out of my system.

    tests
    Trew,
    The pass isn't over until the MPs drag your arse back on base.
    PSA doesn't count until you get the results.
    I worry too much about all this without beating myself with a whip in expectation of something I can't change. Join me in not stopping until the MPs win.
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 803 Member
    Yes… do celebrate life…
    Yes… do celebrate life… We have spend the summer at the beach but today I had butter on my toast for the first time in 7 months today, just finished my second single malt and I am headed out for my first steak in 7 months….Then tomorrow back on my primarily “vegan” diet….. This will be a monthly celebration until my post surgery test prove otherwise…
    Best to all
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,333 Member
    Decision
    On Thursday evening there is a prostate support group that has a really good program which is really worth attending; the same evening there is a musical concert that I can attend with friends....In order to CELEBRATE LIFE I will be going to the concert.
  • Skid Row Tom
    Skid Row Tom Member Posts: 125

    Decision
    On Thursday evening there is a prostate support group that has a really good program which is really worth attending; the same evening there is a musical concert that I can attend with friends....In order to CELEBRATE LIFE I will be going to the concert.

    I continue to celebrate
    In 2006, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and had a radical prostatectomy at Johns Hopkins. While prone in the hospital bed, I "symbolically" rode my motorcycle through Death Valley, CA -- a fantasy ride that helped pass the time. During the spring of 2007, I visited my local urologist because of incontinence (NO bladder control whatsoever). I was diagnosed with bladder cancer and began BCG treatments immediately. I felt that the prostate cancer had exhausted my physical, emotional, and psychological energy and reserves and had nothing left. But I had to continue to fight. While dealing with the bladder cancer, I decided to make the symbolism of a Death Valley motorcycle ride a reality. I left the east coast on June 15th, 2010 and rode through Death Valley June 24th. (Yes, I rode my motorcycle all the way -- no trailering for me). The official temperature was 115 that day, although a thermometer at Furnace Creek said "120". I taunted cancer all the way across the valley. During the 24 day, 8,036 mile trip, the heat, jarring roads in construction sites, idiotic drivers, and detours were inconsequential. I was 2-0 against cancer, alive, and enjoying every minute of it.

    Tom
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,333 Member
    Continuing with a positive attitude
    Have been doing lots of positive things..each day I think of what I can do that is positive....going to events, joking with people, etc....basically, I am posting in order to bump this threat to the top.....I believe it to important for us to reinforce positive events, so lots of positive events become part of our lives.

    Ira
  • HumboldtGuy
    HumboldtGuy Member Posts: 5

    Continuing with a positive attitude
    Have been doing lots of positive things..each day I think of what I can do that is positive....going to events, joking with people, etc....basically, I am posting in order to bump this threat to the top.....I believe it to important for us to reinforce positive events, so lots of positive events become part of our lives.

    Ira

    Continuing with a positive attitude
    hopeful and opt...
    Thanks for lifting my head up and reminding me to focus on the positive. I am looking for positive ways to direct the anger and negative thoughts I sometimes get bogged down in. Reading these comments helps.
  • JR1949
    JR1949 Member Posts: 230

    Continuing with a positive attitude
    Have been doing lots of positive things..each day I think of what I can do that is positive....going to events, joking with people, etc....basically, I am posting in order to bump this threat to the top.....I believe it to important for us to reinforce positive events, so lots of positive events become part of our lives.

    Ira

    Celebrating Life
    Ira,

    My wife battled stage 4 metatastic melanoma last year and I battled prostate cancer last year and are now both cancer free. :) We now have a much greater appreciation for things in nature like a sunset, a cloud formation, a mountain stream, wild flowers in a field and we both are kinder and more tolderant of our fellow human being. It's like we were almost reborn so to speak. So in our own little way, my wife and I celebrate life every day.
    We give all the glory and credit to God for our cancer survival and the wondrous world we have all been given to emjoy.

    JR
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 803 Member
    JR1949 said:

    Celebrating Life
    Ira,

    My wife battled stage 4 metatastic melanoma last year and I battled prostate cancer last year and are now both cancer free. :) We now have a much greater appreciation for things in nature like a sunset, a cloud formation, a mountain stream, wild flowers in a field and we both are kinder and more tolderant of our fellow human being. It's like we were almost reborn so to speak. So in our own little way, my wife and I celebrate life every day.
    We give all the glory and credit to God for our cancer survival and the wondrous world we have all been given to emjoy.

    JR

    JR...Could not say it
    JR...Could not say it better!
  • dakotarunner
    dakotarunner Member Posts: 102 Member
    Just got back to work after
    Just got back to work after a week off. The commute is a 12 hour drive, so just rolled down the window and enjoyed the day God had given me. Too many times I think I have too much to do to enjoy the little things - enough of that foolishness. From now on, I am going to take the time to stop and smell the rutabagas, and I hope you all do too!
  • NM
    NM Member Posts: 214

    Just got back to work after
    Just got back to work after a week off. The commute is a 12 hour drive, so just rolled down the window and enjoyed the day God had given me. Too many times I think I have too much to do to enjoy the little things - enough of that foolishness. From now on, I am going to take the time to stop and smell the rutabagas, and I hope you all do too!

    clean psa
    1 year anniversary, clean psa. Counting my blessings as hunting season approaches. Good luck to all cancer patients and Im having beer this weekend to celebrate and a steak too

    Nick
  • JR1949
    JR1949 Member Posts: 230

    Just got back to work after
    Just got back to work after a week off. The commute is a 12 hour drive, so just rolled down the window and enjoyed the day God had given me. Too many times I think I have too much to do to enjoy the little things - enough of that foolishness. From now on, I am going to take the time to stop and smell the rutabagas, and I hope you all do too!

    Yes Stop and Smell...
    Dakotarunner, I have always heard the expression "Take time to stop and smell the roses" (or rutabagas). Since my wife and I have had our "journey" with cancer and now cancer free, that expression has real meaning.

    So everybody just roll down the window or do what I did this summer while on vacation in the Smoky Mountains in Gatlinburg, TN and go wade in the clean cool water of a mountain stream....ahhhhh.

    JR
  • BRONX52
    BRONX52 Member Posts: 156
    JR1949 said:

    Yes Stop and Smell...
    Dakotarunner, I have always heard the expression "Take time to stop and smell the roses" (or rutabagas). Since my wife and I have had our "journey" with cancer and now cancer free, that expression has real meaning.

    So everybody just roll down the window or do what I did this summer while on vacation in the Smoky Mountains in Gatlinburg, TN and go wade in the clean cool water of a mountain stream....ahhhhh.

    JR

    JR1949
    COOL MOUNTAIN STREAM SOUNDS GREAT BUT I'LL HAVE TO SETTLE FOR FOR THE BEAUTIFUL PACIFIC OVER HERE IN HAWAII--IT SEEMS MORE BEAUTIFUL SINCE I EMBARKED ON THIS PC JOURNEY AND THE SUNSETS ARE FANTASTIC. ENJOY LIFE!! DAN
  • luckyman2
    luckyman2 Member Posts: 54
    BRONX52 said:

    JR1949
    COOL MOUNTAIN STREAM SOUNDS GREAT BUT I'LL HAVE TO SETTLE FOR FOR THE BEAUTIFUL PACIFIC OVER HERE IN HAWAII--IT SEEMS MORE BEAUTIFUL SINCE I EMBARKED ON THIS PC JOURNEY AND THE SUNSETS ARE FANTASTIC. ENJOY LIFE!! DAN

    Try to make a difference
    My journey through prostate cancer left me quite confused and bitter until I decided to make the best of things. I was given a second chance to "live 'til I die"... and to try to make a difference in my little corner of the world.

    I bought a harmonica for a very shy 9-year old boy and taught him how to play a few songs on it. On his mom's birthday he played "Happy Birthday" in front of all his family and relatives. There wasn't a dry eye in the room.

    I gave a bodhran (Celtic drum, pronounced "bow-RON") to a 74-year old Irishman, friend of mine... and taught him how to play it. He was very proud to demonstrate this new-found hidden talent to his son, who now wants to learn how to play it too.

    I just completed a personal trainer's course and I will be working on a second certification to allow me to teach older adults how to get and stay fit for a better quality of life. I will be volunteering this service at the retirement homes in the area.

    Now I hope to learn how to play the triangle, but I can't seem to find any sheet music for it!
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,333 Member
    luckyman2 said:

    Try to make a difference
    My journey through prostate cancer left me quite confused and bitter until I decided to make the best of things. I was given a second chance to "live 'til I die"... and to try to make a difference in my little corner of the world.

    I bought a harmonica for a very shy 9-year old boy and taught him how to play a few songs on it. On his mom's birthday he played "Happy Birthday" in front of all his family and relatives. There wasn't a dry eye in the room.

    I gave a bodhran (Celtic drum, pronounced "bow-RON") to a 74-year old Irishman, friend of mine... and taught him how to play it. He was very proud to demonstrate this new-found hidden talent to his son, who now wants to learn how to play it too.

    I just completed a personal trainer's course and I will be working on a second certification to allow me to teach older adults how to get and stay fit for a better quality of life. I will be volunteering this service at the retirement homes in the area.

    Now I hope to learn how to play the triangle, but I can't seem to find any sheet music for it!

    It's great that you volunteer....
    ...... those who appreciate what you do for them is worth a lot more than the effort.......I wish that I lived near you so I can be more motivated......about a year ago I bought a harmonica and a book, and started to play.....but I did not continue.......I guess that it's time to start again.....happy birthday is a great song......I play it a lot on my ukulele.

    Ira
  • luckyman2
    luckyman2 Member Posts: 54

    It's great that you volunteer....
    ...... those who appreciate what you do for them is worth a lot more than the effort.......I wish that I lived near you so I can be more motivated......about a year ago I bought a harmonica and a book, and started to play.....but I did not continue.......I guess that it's time to start again.....happy birthday is a great song......I play it a lot on my ukulele.

    Ira

    Never stop!
    My dad played the harmonica when he was in the Black Watch Highland Regiment of Canada during WWII. It kept him company during good and bad times. He taught me how to play the harmonica when I was 15 years old and layed up with a cast on my leg for an entire summer. That got me started in music... and now I also play the 12-string guitar, autoharp, bodhran, djembe... and a few other instruments. Never stop learning and challenging yourself... and most of all giving... it's why we are all here.
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 803 Member
    luckyman2 said:

    Never stop!
    My dad played the harmonica when he was in the Black Watch Highland Regiment of Canada during WWII. It kept him company during good and bad times. He taught me how to play the harmonica when I was 15 years old and layed up with a cast on my leg for an entire summer. That got me started in music... and now I also play the 12-string guitar, autoharp, bodhran, djembe... and a few other instruments. Never stop learning and challenging yourself... and most of all giving... it's why we are all here.

    Amen....I agree a mind is a
    Amen....I agree a mind is a terible thing to waste