Update From My Scans of Last Week....

Shayenne
Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
...Well my doctors appointment was this morning, a week from my scans, and the result wasn't too great.

The Folfox isn't working for me, in fact, the tumors grew. A couple grew some cm and the rest were all mm. I didn't have to do chemo today, or folfox anymore, since it didn't work....

BUT, the doctor has 3 options for me to do, whatever comes up first, which he said it can take a week to 5 weeks for clinical trials to come up, he said he is giving me a much needed break from chemo, a 3-6 week break, which he said I will love, and to get out and have fun, haha...and we will also be talking to a Intervention Radiologist to do the SIR Spheres, and see how much it can shrink these tumors. He said this usually works well, and they do one lobe at a time, as many times as needed, and I shouldn't feel bad from it. I will be "put out" during out the catheter part from the groin to the liver, and the rest doesn't hurt. It's having little glass beads shoot right into the tumors to break them up.

One clinical trial he is wanting to try is something where he has to test my liver for this gene that 1 out of 5 people have, to be a candidate, which involves a vaccine, he didn't say much on the trials yet, since he'll wait to see if I'm even a candidate.

The other clinical trial, I forgot! but I believe it's just a different chemo cocktail. I am going to go for the spheres, to see what it can do, I'm ready to do something different, and hope I am a candidate for that vaccine, he said it sounds promising. I was worried about them growing during my break, and he said they grew on the chemo too, and it would be ok, I said, "I'm not going to die in 6 weeks, am I?" LOL...he looked at me right in the eyes, with a smile and said "NO" he said if I could have surgery, he will jump on that, and he will not give up on me. He is very confident, I like him alot better then the onc I had before, at least he wants to do other options for me.

I hope everyone is well, and just wanted to give you an update on where I am, thanks everyone for being there for me!

Hugsss!
~Donna
«1

Comments

  • iluvmms
    iluvmms Member Posts: 134
    Have a good break, a much
    Have a good break, a much needed one I am sure. I know the beads, I did Theraspheres, really worked for me. Basically all the tumors were dead when I had the liver resection, and I know they said that is the reason I could havbe the resection because they worked so well for me. I do not hear of many trying them, and I wonder why sometimes? Keep me posted, maybe I can answer some questions about the process or the procedure if oyu have any.

    CHristy
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    iluvmms said:

    Have a good break, a much
    Have a good break, a much needed one I am sure. I know the beads, I did Theraspheres, really worked for me. Basically all the tumors were dead when I had the liver resection, and I know they said that is the reason I could havbe the resection because they worked so well for me. I do not hear of many trying them, and I wonder why sometimes? Keep me posted, maybe I can answer some questions about the process or the procedure if oyu have any.

    CHristy

    I Will...
    ...Definitely be pm'ing you if I have any questions, or I can do it here since more may have questions about it, and may get some info about it here as well.. I know, I see not many people have had this procedure, and wondered why as well. It's all contained in my liver, and there's just too many he said to have the surgery, but you never know what it could do, he said this doesnt cure it, it's treatment, and can be done multiple times, were you in any pain after this procedure?? and were you knocked out during it?

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028
    I'm sending strong vibes!!!!
    I KNOW you are a strong fighter, and this is going to show it once again!!!

    BIG hugs, Kathi
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    I just sent you a PM. I am
    I just sent you a PM. I am so bummed. I hope you enjoy your break.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342
    Donna
    Donna,
    You go out and enjoy that chemo break! I am glad to hear that the onc has some good options for you. Have fun with your kiddos this summer!

    I'm thinking of you and saying prayers.

    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111
    PM
    Like Paula, I also sent you a PM so you will be busy reading.

    If you can, see these other doctors while you are on your chemo break so you can get a plan of action in place.

    Gosh darn, I was hoping for better news, that the Folfox was doing for you what it did for George. Now George is still has mets but Folfox really did its job.

    Take care - Tina
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917
    good news, bad news it seems
    Donna, so sorry the chemo isn't working for you; you figure with the crappiness that is oxaliplatin, it should work! Glad to hear your onc is working on other options though, options are always good! I'm confident you will find the right option for you and will be able to get those darned tumors and put them in their place! Sounds like theraspheres is a very promising treatment. I had a single met to my liver and had microwave ablation done, since the radiologist said that theraspheres are only used when there are many mets. Certainly will consider it in the future if it becomes necessary! Keep fighting, gal, you are very strong and can kick this cancer's a$$.
    mary
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606
    You got spunk kid!!!!!
    Donna,
    You got spunk kid!!!!! Hang in there and enjoy the chemo break. With your spunk you can and will be a winner. My prayers are going your way.

    Kerry
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787
    Kerry S said:

    You got spunk kid!!!!!
    Donna,
    You got spunk kid!!!!! Hang in there and enjoy the chemo break. With your spunk you can and will be a winner. My prayers are going your way.

    Kerry

    DONNA!!!
    Hey Girl! I believe there is a reason for everything and it seems the reason the Folfox did not work for you is because there is something bigger and better in your future. I too will be sending prayers and good vibes your way. Take full advantage of the chemo break. It will give your body a chance to regroup and get ready for what is to come. Hugs to you my friend!

    Jennie
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    Darn this cancer
    Miss Donna, it looks like you and I are in the same boat. I am past conventional therapy and onto a trial. My doctor seems to be dead set against any kind of surgical option. I'm going to confront him about that the next time I see him. I hope all goes well for you and I am in your corner. You are a sweet woman and you deserve all the best.

    Eric
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673
    Shayenne,
    Thanks so much for

    Shayenne,

    Thanks so much for the update. I am really ticked that this chemo wasn't working, but glad your onc has good options for you. I hope you enjoy the chemo break. You know I am thinking of you. Take good care!
  • pluckey
    pluckey Member Posts: 484
    Donna -
    Your spirit and

    Donna -

    Your spirit and graciousness and attitude never cease to amaze me. I am bummed for your news but am glad you have a Doctor that seems to be in the ring WITH you. My feeling is, if you are physically, not too weak from the chemo etc, a break will get you in een better shape for whichever procedure you will do next. Maybe Sir Spheres IS the option you should go for. Get the tumors shrunk so you CAN have surgery.

    Big Ol' Hugs sent from chicago to you dear Donna

    ((hugs))

    Peggy
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    My Chicky:)

    My Chicky:)
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165
    Sundanceh said:

    My Chicky:)

    My Chicky:)

    Donna
    I am thinking of you and wishing you the best,

    michelle
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980
    Bad news leads to good news
    Hey my friend.. Sorry to hear about the chemo not working the way we where hoping but the good part of it is that new they will be doing the SIR Spheres. I've heard a lot about this and it seems to work great on almost everybody. I'm so happy you do get to have a break from the chemo and you start feeling great in no time. Dieing within 6 weeks? maybe if we get hit by a bus but not from cancer. We have a wedding to go to!!

    I lov ya
    Brooks
  • hoya1973
    hoya1973 Member Posts: 37

    Donna
    I am thinking of you and wishing you the best,

    michelle

    The best to you Donna
    You are a fighter and will find the right solution. Your doctor appears to be on top of options. May God bless you and help with your recovery.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625
    sweet Donna
    Hi Donna,

    I'm sorry to hear the scan results were not what you wanted to hear- truly. But, I'm glad you have confidence in your onc and he seems to have options- that is definitely good!
    I am having a week off from chemo right now, myself, as I was so tired and the hand/foot syndrome from the Xeloda was unbearable, so I needed it. It's actually just part of reconfiguring my chemo schedule for me around an upcoming vacation in August. So, I know you will enjoy a few weeks' break from all the chemo. Try not to worry- you know you will have the theraspheres or possibly something else soon- that will zap away any growth that is happening now. I never looked into that for myself, just because it seemed kind of pointless to do that for my liver when my lungs are filled with tumors- I don't think there is that kind of option for the lungs. Anyhow, you will be okay- hang in there and, as others have said, go enjoy the summer with your kids!

    Hugs and prayers,
    Lisa
  • wifeandmom
    wifeandmom Member Posts: 31
    lisa42 said:

    sweet Donna
    Hi Donna,

    I'm sorry to hear the scan results were not what you wanted to hear- truly. But, I'm glad you have confidence in your onc and he seems to have options- that is definitely good!
    I am having a week off from chemo right now, myself, as I was so tired and the hand/foot syndrome from the Xeloda was unbearable, so I needed it. It's actually just part of reconfiguring my chemo schedule for me around an upcoming vacation in August. So, I know you will enjoy a few weeks' break from all the chemo. Try not to worry- you know you will have the theraspheres or possibly something else soon- that will zap away any growth that is happening now. I never looked into that for myself, just because it seemed kind of pointless to do that for my liver when my lungs are filled with tumors- I don't think there is that kind of option for the lungs. Anyhow, you will be okay- hang in there and, as others have said, go enjoy the summer with your kids!

    Hugs and prayers,
    Lisa

    You've been an inspiration
    Dear Donna,
    Though I haven't been on this board for very long, you've been an inspiration for me. You've been supportive and encouraging to so many, and have done so with humor, compassion, and such true caring. You seem to live your life with enthusiasm and an amazing lack of self-pity. I wish your results had been better, but am glad to hear that you have several options and a doctor who sounds like he's right there with you in this fight. May you and your medical team see great success with whatever treatment option(s) you choose.
    Best wishes and may blessings be yours,
    Dorothy
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Sorry, Donna
    Hey, Donna.

    I'm sorry your results were not fabulous, but I hope some of the news things the doctor wants to try will make a positive impact. You've already been through a lot, and you really deserve a break.

    I'll be praying for you, dear!

    *hugs*
    Gail
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030
    tootsie1 said:

    Sorry, Donna
    Hey, Donna.

    I'm sorry your results were not fabulous, but I hope some of the news things the doctor wants to try will make a positive impact. You've already been through a lot, and you really deserve a break.

    I'll be praying for you, dear!

    *hugs*
    Gail

    Donna, you are in my
    Donna, you are in my prayers!! I wish we were all closure so that we could move in together! HA! No really, I do wish we were closer. Hang in there and keep doing all you can to fight this demon! Hugs!