Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

Longest Wet Run before drying out

Trew
Trew Member Posts: 931
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I'm just wondering what the longest time someone went leaking and then dried out after surgery. Anyone leak over two years and then naturally get control? 18 months? 1 year?

I'm just trying to figure this out. Some say after 1 year what you have is where you will stay. Is that ture?

Comments

  • tpelle
    tpelle Member Posts: 184
    Still leaking after Seven Years Open Prostatectomy
    I got down to one pad per day nine months after surgery, taking imipramine and doing two hundred or so Kegels every day. After that I stopped taking the imipramine because of side affects. And later I stopped doing the Kegels after hernia surgery. After the first nine months I've been at twelve to sixteen pads per WEEK, essentially where I was four months post surgery. I know of no one who has arrived at a pad-less point when still leaking after a year. tpelle
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 931
    tpelle said:

    Still leaking after Seven Years Open Prostatectomy
    I got down to one pad per day nine months after surgery, taking imipramine and doing two hundred or so Kegels every day. After that I stopped taking the imipramine because of side affects. And later I stopped doing the Kegels after hernia surgery. After the first nine months I've been at twelve to sixteen pads per WEEK, essentially where I was four months post surgery. I know of no one who has arrived at a pad-less point when still leaking after a year. tpelle

    1 Year Limit
    Tpelle, that is what I have heard- the 1 year limit. My new uro told me this month- it has been 14 months since surgery- what you are now is probably as about as good as it is going ot get. I want to believe there is still hope of drying out through PT, shock treatment, kegels, anything.

    Anything!

    Anything.

    PS. I'm definitely not going 7 years like this. another 4- 6 months maybe and then I am getting a AUS installed.
  • RRMCJIM
    RRMCJIM Member Posts: 149
    Trew said:

    1 Year Limit
    Tpelle, that is what I have heard- the 1 year limit. My new uro told me this month- it has been 14 months since surgery- what you are now is probably as about as good as it is going ot get. I want to believe there is still hope of drying out through PT, shock treatment, kegels, anything.

    Anything!

    Anything.

    PS. I'm definitely not going 7 years like this. another 4- 6 months maybe and then I am getting a AUS installed.

    I believe my Dr said not to
    I believe my Dr said not to get discouraged until the 2nd anniv of your surgery....then they discuss options further.....I am at one year on the 21st of this month. I am mostly dry, except at work (Tech w/ Harley D) very physical...then I do use one pad for the day....I am hoping you don't have to go thru any more with this s h i t .....PSa su ck s
    Jim
  • JR1949
    JR1949 Member Posts: 230
    RRMCJIM said:

    I believe my Dr said not to
    I believe my Dr said not to get discouraged until the 2nd anniv of your surgery....then they discuss options further.....I am at one year on the 21st of this month. I am mostly dry, except at work (Tech w/ Harley D) very physical...then I do use one pad for the day....I am hoping you don't have to go thru any more with this s h i t .....PSa su ck s
    Jim

    How long...
    How long....you know the Eagles have a song titled "How Long" and verse is How long woman will you wait. We PC guys could write our own version of How Long Wll You Wait.
    Okay, now to get serious, I am 1 year and almost 3 months since RP and I am not going to have any surgery until I explore other options. I am down to an average of 3-4 pads per day. My Uro suggested I have a scope of uretha and remove any scar tissue which could be reason I am not completely emptying my bladder. Scope and scar tissue removal done Friday 5/21/10. Just had the cath removed this morning. I have hope that this will solve some or all of my incontinence. Uro told my wife Friday that it might help some, but not sure how much. I realize that it will take some time now for things to heal down there before I will know if it will help.
    I have seem many postings on this network and I see a lot of men saying to not do anything drastic until after two years. I now realize that we all heal differently and what works for one does not work for another. Yes, Jim, PC and incontinence does S-U-C-KKKKKK! Of course you have to look at it this way too, we've had our demon prostate cancer removed and we now have another lease on life. Let's hope for a new treatment/procedure on the horizon that will cure the PC and not leave you with inontinence. Wouldn't that be GR888888888888888888. :-)
  • bobshell1956
    bobshell1956 Member Posts: 18
    Down to 2-3 pads a day
    I'm 5 and 1/2 weeks post surgery and 4 weeks post catheter removal and I'm down to 2 to 3 pads a day. Don't know how this compares to others. My surgeon (Dr. Sanda at Beth Israel) states one year is required before looking at other options. Wearing pads really sucks.
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 931

    Down to 2-3 pads a day
    I'm 5 and 1/2 weeks post surgery and 4 weeks post catheter removal and I'm down to 2 to 3 pads a day. Don't know how this compares to others. My surgeon (Dr. Sanda at Beth Israel) states one year is required before looking at other options. Wearing pads really sucks.

    5 Today
    I'm 14 months past surgery and today was a good day- only 4 pads so far here at 10:30 pm. One more change at bedtime. so this looks like a 5 pad day- not too bad. ;)

    I just hate this PC thingie!

    Tell me its not my doctor's fault. I have had that thought a few times.
  • shane59
    shane59 Member Posts: 86
    Trew said:

    5 Today
    I'm 14 months past surgery and today was a good day- only 4 pads so far here at 10:30 pm. One more change at bedtime. so this looks like a 5 pad day- not too bad. ;)

    I just hate this PC thingie!

    Tell me its not my doctor's fault. I have had that thought a few times.

    you make me feel very lucky
    sorry to here that things arnt so good for you all .I used to get pissed off when I here about people being dry 2 to 3 days after catheter removal I thought they were telling porkys . It took me about a month to get to 1 pad a day I guess I am very lucky and didnt really appreciate how lucky I was .I was able to were no pads at night almost from the begining I did the keegan thing for a while ,still prefer to sit down and pee while sitting I do a few keegal exersises also. the worst time for drips for me is between 5pm and 8 pm mainly while I am just sitting arround . Well what can I say thinking of you all I pray that things will improve and that you never lose hope . shane59