What is your happiest childhood memory?

just4Brooks
just4Brooks Member Posts: 980
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Everyday I post the "Question of the day" on Facebook. Todays question I thought might be a good one for the board.

What is your happiest childhood memory?
During the summer when my brothers and I were kids we would take off for the day on our bikes and find all kinds of things to get into. We’d ride for miles without a care in the world.


What's yours?
Brooks
«1

Comments

  • Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 479
    ANYthing...
    ...with my Grandmom. Gardening, cooking, sewing, going on the bus to Philadelphia where we'd go to the bank and Horn & Hardart's and at Christmastime, the light show at Wanamaker's, writing Christmas cards with my Grandmom. It was always so safe, warm, and comfortable with my Grandmom.
    Also, taking walks alone in the woods behind our house; I always tried to get lost but couldn't.

    Thanks for the warm fuzzies, Brooks!
    Aud
  • TxKayaker
    TxKayaker Member Posts: 176
    My brother & I would saddle
    My brother & I would saddle our horses and ride all day was a great way to waste time in the summer. Sometimes we would just lose track of time & have our parents out looking for us. Great memories.
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020
    Picinic
    When we were kids we would go on picinics with our parents,and my brother and I would fish with a stick,string,and a safety pin,and I caught a fish.
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201
    Going to Edisto Beach with
    Going to Edisto Beach with my whole family staying in our family house. Grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, mom, dad and brothers. It was a crowd and we had a blast. I still miss it every summer.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    C Dixon said:

    Going to Edisto Beach with
    Going to Edisto Beach with my whole family staying in our family house. Grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, mom, dad and brothers. It was a crowd and we had a blast. I still miss it every summer.

    Every
    Summer when I was a kid, my father would pack us up and go to Lake George for a week, which is upstate NY, (I am from Long Island), and we would rent a cabin, go paddling in the lake, walk around the Land of MakeBelieve, Storytown, Frontiertown, House of Frankenstein, there was just so much to do there, and it was the times when my parents were alive and happy, since my dad owned a bar and wasn't around much till he took that break :)

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576
    Shayenne said:

    Every
    Summer when I was a kid, my father would pack us up and go to Lake George for a week, which is upstate NY, (I am from Long Island), and we would rent a cabin, go paddling in the lake, walk around the Land of MakeBelieve, Storytown, Frontiertown, House of Frankenstein, there was just so much to do there, and it was the times when my parents were alive and happy, since my dad owned a bar and wasn't around much till he took that break :)

    Hugsss!
    ~Donna

    drive
    we would drive to Evansville Indiana from Collingwood ontario Canada....it seemed like the most impossible, wonderful, sophisticated thing in the whole world to do.

    mags
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    C Dixon said:

    Going to Edisto Beach with
    Going to Edisto Beach with my whole family staying in our family house. Grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, mom, dad and brothers. It was a crowd and we had a blast. I still miss it every summer.

    Edisto is nice
    I've been there many times. I'm from florence, but now live in boiling springs. the surf fishing is great
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Freedom and solitude
    When I was around seven I would have the first two weeks of the Christmas holiday to myself. My brother was much older and had to work with dad for those two weeks. Mum used the time to rest whilst I wandered the bush and river estuaries by myself day after day. I used to eat fish and oysters for lunch and always carried a canteen of fresh water and wore a hat.No parent would be game now to give their children the freedom I was given. I think I was born in the wrong age...Ron.
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576
    ron50 said:

    Freedom and solitude
    When I was around seven I would have the first two weeks of the Christmas holiday to myself. My brother was much older and had to work with dad for those two weeks. Mum used the time to rest whilst I wandered the bush and river estuaries by myself day after day. I used to eat fish and oysters for lunch and always carried a canteen of fresh water and wore a hat.No parent would be game now to give their children the freedom I was given. I think I was born in the wrong age...Ron.

    hi ron
    I love that story....it's true when we grew up we were outside all the time...summer and winter. On summer nights we played flashlight tag and ran for miles. In winter the snow was always deep and cold and of course it was always dark at night....we would play until mum insisted we come in and then we would spread our woolen outer clothes all over the rug in the dining room to dry...no polyester fabric in those days :)

    you guys have had some brutal weather of late....good to see you
    '
    mags
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    maglets said:

    hi ron
    I love that story....it's true when we grew up we were outside all the time...summer and winter. On summer nights we played flashlight tag and ran for miles. In winter the snow was always deep and cold and of course it was always dark at night....we would play until mum insisted we come in and then we would spread our woolen outer clothes all over the rug in the dining room to dry...no polyester fabric in those days :)

    you guys have had some brutal weather of late....good to see you
    '
    mags

    Lots of Good Memories
    I had lots of good memories! I enjoyed going bowling with my parents & sister in North Carolina. We also went to New York each summer for a buying trip. My parents owned a store. In New York, we went to the World's Fair, saw the dancing Rockettes and ate at the delicatessens and automat. We also lived near Myrtle Beach and Calabash so I loved going to the beach and enjoying a fried flounder meal with hushpuppies. Not so much joy with the sunburns. lol
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Great thread Brooks...
    My childhood was spent in a small college town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I have many happy memories... collecting agates on Lake Superior in the Summer; "sugaring-off" in the Spring; "Homecoming Weekend" in the Fall; and hockey, hockey, hockey in the winter!

    You look laid-back!

    Rob; in Vancouver
  • greybeard64
    greybeard64 Member Posts: 254
    great post
    nice to read all these memories from others.
    mine..riding to the lake with my granpa to fish while listening to the WORST country music, lol. my dad teaching me baseball, our club house by the railrosd tracks(yes parents I said railroad tracks!) Picnics with my family on the bluffs over the mississippi. Thanks I hadnt thought of those things in awhile, got me smiling.
  • greybeard64
    greybeard64 Member Posts: 254
    maglets said:

    hi ron
    I love that story....it's true when we grew up we were outside all the time...summer and winter. On summer nights we played flashlight tag and ran for miles. In winter the snow was always deep and cold and of course it was always dark at night....we would play until mum insisted we come in and then we would spread our woolen outer clothes all over the rug in the dining room to dry...no polyester fabric in those days :)

    you guys have had some brutal weather of late....good to see you
    '
    mags

    Flash light tag
    didnt know that was such a wide spread game!! how about Kick the can?!
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111
    robinvan said:

    Great thread Brooks...
    My childhood was spent in a small college town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I have many happy memories... collecting agates on Lake Superior in the Summer; "sugaring-off" in the Spring; "Homecoming Weekend" in the Fall; and hockey, hockey, hockey in the winter!

    You look laid-back!

    Rob; in Vancouver

    Marquette
    Might that town be Marquette, MI. My daughter wanted to go to Northern but that was way too far for my liking, no easy way to get there. Instead went to Michigan State. Reflecting back I should have let her go, would have cost a lot less money than State.

    Ever go hunting for Petoskey stones?

    Take care - Tina
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member

    Flash light tag
    didnt know that was such a wide spread game!! how about Kick the can?!

    Won't You Come Over?
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576

    Flash light tag
    didnt know that was such a wide spread game!! how about Kick the can?!

    GAMES
    definitely Kick the can and red rover too.....which I hated because it always hurt your arms and wrists. Oh and burning leaves on the sides of the streets in autumn before burning by-laws....oh man I love that smell.

    Rob there are 2 boys across the road from me about 10 and 12 years old.....they play Hockey 365 days of the year....they are out there today with the tennis ball...they never play baseball...just hockey, In winter they a use a puck....sometimes other neighbourhood kids come.....I love it.
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576
    geotina said:

    Marquette
    Might that town be Marquette, MI. My daughter wanted to go to Northern but that was way too far for my liking, no easy way to get there. Instead went to Michigan State. Reflecting back I should have let her go, would have cost a lot less money than State.

    Ever go hunting for Petoskey stones?

    Take care - Tina

    what are Petosky stones
    what are Petosky stones Tina...I have been to that town I think....is it really really fancy and lots of $$$$ is that Petosky?
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    geotina said:

    Marquette
    Might that town be Marquette, MI. My daughter wanted to go to Northern but that was way too far for my liking, no easy way to get there. Instead went to Michigan State. Reflecting back I should have let her go, would have cost a lot less money than State.

    Ever go hunting for Petoskey stones?

    Take care - Tina

    Houghton
    A little north of Marquette.
    Never heard of Petoskey stones. ??

    Rob; in Vancouver
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member

    great post
    nice to read all these memories from others.
    mine..riding to the lake with my granpa to fish while listening to the WORST country music, lol. my dad teaching me baseball, our club house by the railrosd tracks(yes parents I said railroad tracks!) Picnics with my family on the bluffs over the mississippi. Thanks I hadnt thought of those things in awhile, got me smiling.

    Don't remember exactly how young I was at the time
    when my father bought me my first two-wheel bike. Took me out with it, told me not to worry, he'd stop me (see, my feet couldn;t activate the foot brake cos they could barely touch the peddles-he figured I'd grow into it.) Was nice riding around in circles until he told me go down the little hill and he'll stop me at the bottom. So I did and of course the bike picked up speed and I wasn't going to crash into the fence so I aimed for my father's outstreched arms. Needless to say, my older than most others", father could not stop me (could tell by look on his face as I got closer)so he went flying backwards when I crashed into him but he did STOP me from going further. Fortunately he wasn't hurt (and he told me henceforth I could figure out how to ride myself!) My mother got pissied when she found out what he had done. I eventually did grow tall enough to ride the 26 incher he bought but I was a bit young at the time.......

    Another incident I clearly remember was my mother walking me and my 3 year younger brother in his carriage when a car zoomed by shooting at the police cars chasing them.This was in Astoria,Long Island City, Queens around 1955-6.......

    But my favorite memory in the 50s was allof us getting into my uncles big car (grandparents, our family of 5, uncles' of 5-3 kids each family, 12 in the car) and we'd go to Zach's Bay near Jones Beach for the day, with food, etc. From the first timne we went (I;m the oldest grandkid this side of family)I would use my pail and catch all these tiny fishes and then I'd wanna take them home but uncle and father always said no. Grandma, however, had fishtanks in her apartment and she always said I could put then in an empthy glass jar of hers, she'd hold them but I could take them home. Felt so good.After I cried after the first few fish died, I got kinda use to it when the rest went but for a 8 or so year old kid, it was great
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Can't pick
    I can't possibly pick one. I'm the second oldest of 6 kids, and our parents made our childhood a precious, wonderful time. The closeness and fun of our family continues to this day.

    *hugs*
    Gail