What do you do with the script for the wig?

TiggersDoBounce
TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
edited March 2014 in Uterine Cancer #1
Okay, perhaps this is a really stupid question...BUT I don't know the answer and am not ashamed to admit it :)

At my last chemo appt, the doctor gave me a script for a wig.

What do I do with it? Do I bring it to a salon, wig store???

All your wisdom is appreciated...

Laurie

Comments

  • Lisa 00
    Lisa 00 Member Posts: 134 Member
    Call your health insurance
    Call your health insurance company using one of the phone numbers on the back of your card. They will be able to tell you if your policy will pay for a wig and how much is covered. If it is covered, then they will tell you how to get the form to fill out to file the claim. My insurance company had the form available on the internet so I printed it out from there. So I filled out the form and sent along with it the invoice from my most expensive wig. (ins. only paid for 1 wig).

    Then it got interesting.

    Ins. wrote me back saying they needed a procedure code. Like I had that. I called my oncologists's office and they couldn't (read wouldn't) help me with a procedure code. I finally found the codes on the internet and submitted the one I thought looked right. Luckily I was right and the ins. co. mistakenly sent the benefit check to my oncologist's office! I knew when the ins. sent me their usual explanation of benefits sheet and it was on there as going to my dr. office. So I called my dr's billing office. They had already flagged the check as unknown and had it sitting on a desk waiting for a supervisor to figure it out. But I called before the supervisor had a chance to look at it, problem was solved for them and they immediately cut me a check in that amount and kept the one addressed to them.

    Hey, it was something to keep me entertained in my then chemo haze.....

    Good Luck!
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Lisa 00 said:

    Call your health insurance
    Call your health insurance company using one of the phone numbers on the back of your card. They will be able to tell you if your policy will pay for a wig and how much is covered. If it is covered, then they will tell you how to get the form to fill out to file the claim. My insurance company had the form available on the internet so I printed it out from there. So I filled out the form and sent along with it the invoice from my most expensive wig. (ins. only paid for 1 wig).

    Then it got interesting.

    Ins. wrote me back saying they needed a procedure code. Like I had that. I called my oncologists's office and they couldn't (read wouldn't) help me with a procedure code. I finally found the codes on the internet and submitted the one I thought looked right. Luckily I was right and the ins. co. mistakenly sent the benefit check to my oncologist's office! I knew when the ins. sent me their usual explanation of benefits sheet and it was on there as going to my dr. office. So I called my dr's billing office. They had already flagged the check as unknown and had it sitting on a desk waiting for a supervisor to figure it out. But I called before the supervisor had a chance to look at it, problem was solved for them and they immediately cut me a check in that amount and kept the one addressed to them.

    Hey, it was something to keep me entertained in my then chemo haze.....

    Good Luck!

    Wig
    I can assume that means you can get a wig per doc recommendation. Yes I'd agree call your insurance company first to ask now what to do and if they do cover wigs. Mine did cover wigs but only at a certain few shops which I never did travel to...not nice areas to feel safe. Plus my deductible must be met first which wasn't happening for a while.

    If you are involved in a non-for-profit such as The Wellness Center (know they're in varioius states) they do offer money from donations. I received $150 towards mine.

    Good luck...FYI wigs aren't cheap either, so be careful of costs
  • kathybd
    kathybd Member Posts: 126
    jazzy1 said:

    Wig
    I can assume that means you can get a wig per doc recommendation. Yes I'd agree call your insurance company first to ask now what to do and if they do cover wigs. Mine did cover wigs but only at a certain few shops which I never did travel to...not nice areas to feel safe. Plus my deductible must be met first which wasn't happening for a while.

    If you are involved in a non-for-profit such as The Wellness Center (know they're in varioius states) they do offer money from donations. I received $150 towards mine.

    Good luck...FYI wigs aren't cheap either, so be careful of costs

    wigs
    My insurance wouldn't pay for my $300 wig. Be happy you got it paid; but unfortunate that you had to work so hard to get it paid for!
  • TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
    kathybd said:

    wigs
    My insurance wouldn't pay for my $300 wig. Be happy you got it paid; but unfortunate that you had to work so hard to get it paid for!

    Wigs
    Thanks Ladies...I doubt my insurance will cover it...but hey it is worth the phone call!!

    Thanks!

    Laurie
  • catbird
    catbird Member Posts: 33

    Wigs
    Thanks Ladies...I doubt my insurance will cover it...but hey it is worth the phone call!!

    Thanks!

    Laurie

    script for wig
    if your health insurance or if you have aflac have wig coverage, you will need the wig prescription. also, if you purchase from a wig shop, you should not have to pay a sales tax if you have a precription. be sure & take it with you
  • TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
    catbird said:

    script for wig
    if your health insurance or if you have aflac have wig coverage, you will need the wig prescription. also, if you purchase from a wig shop, you should not have to pay a sales tax if you have a precription. be sure & take it with you

    Well, I placed a call to the Insurance Company today to see if I had any coverage for the wig.

    Ironically though my coverage overall is stinky (I work for a company based in Omaha, NE even though my division is in Massachusetts) apparently there is a mandate for the state of Massachusetts that says they have to pay towards a wig if you have a dx of cancer or leukemia.

    So...where my Omaha colleagues have no coverage, I get a 350.00 allowance per year.

    I am glad I checked!

    Laurie
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379

    Well, I placed a call to the Insurance Company today to see if I had any coverage for the wig.

    Ironically though my coverage overall is stinky (I work for a company based in Omaha, NE even though my division is in Massachusetts) apparently there is a mandate for the state of Massachusetts that says they have to pay towards a wig if you have a dx of cancer or leukemia.

    So...where my Omaha colleagues have no coverage, I get a 350.00 allowance per year.

    I am glad I checked!

    Laurie

    Wow!
    Laurie,

    You'll have a darn nice wig for $350. Mine was $170 and it was very stylish and great color. Just make sure you can go ANYWHERE to purchase wig, not a certain shop in their so-called network. That was the stickler for mine, and only one was 30 miles away in a bad part of town. I just chocked it up to paying out of my pocket.

    My insurance deductible is very large so I paid out so much last year when had cancer diagnosis. This year hoping to re-group and not have those huge bills. Need to start saving if we can.

    Best to you....
    Jan

    P.S. Is your hair falling out or what stage? Mine started to fall out like a puppie and after a few days I figured I was going to be pro-active and have it cut. Felt so much better. If you want a place for nice scarves try: www.4women.com