Does Your CSN Name Have a Special Meaning????

idlehunters
idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Since I changed my photo I have had several comments that Hunters is not idle by looking at all those deer on the wall. I decided it would be great to know if ya'll had a story behind your name. I will share mine.

We have owned and operated a landscaping business for many years. It is called "HUNTERS OUTDOOR SERVICES, INC.".... and yes, "HUNTERS" was chosen because my husband IS such an avid hunter. When I was DX with CC the business had to be put on hold so I could put all my attention on dealing with this. Therefor the business became "idle"...thus "idlehunters" We closed the business for good this year. More important things in life now.

tell us your story!!!

jennie
«134

Comments

  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    You Know My Story :)
    But in the interest of all of the new folks, I will mention it again:

    SUNDANCE:
    Sundance was my first dog (he really was a person in fur). He was a Golden Retriever. We had him 13 years before Cancer took him from us. He was the light of our lives - a companion and person in the truest sense of the word - I could swear he was just about to "talk" to us. What he could not say verbally, he said with his emotions and his beautiful expressions - they said a mouthful.

    Before I was first diagnosed, Sundance used to lay his down on my colon, not just anywhere but a certain spot. I had read where dogs can detect cancer, but at that time did not think much of it. After the diagnosis was confirmed, it made me think though. He supported me as much as he could during my recovery and having him here with me was so comforting and having someone to talk to just made the days seem easier.

    When we thought we were clear from Cancer, Sundance began lying his head down on my liver regularly. Kim and I used to joke and say "Sundance, does your papa have Cancer again?" Amazingly, it was liver cancer and Sundance had found it before the doctors.

    He was an amazing spirit and apparently pretty darn smart too! When I found the board, I was at a different place than most people who come here. I came here "after the fact." I had already been through so many treatments and surgeries that everyone was about to undergo, and I felt an immediate connection and kinship to the people's stories that I was reading. It was overwhelming and I knew immediately, this was the place that I needed to be. I wanted to try and help people on their journey and let them know what I experienced and that after 5 years at that time, that they could do this too.

    So, because of how Sundance "helped me" during my Cancer journey, I HONORED him by taking his name and began to help others - as he had so diligently helped me. That's a true story!

    The other day, I jokingly referred to myself as "Dr. Sundance." Another tribute to him as he was smarter than my own doctors in finding cancer not ONCE but TWICE.

    Sundance was a LEGEND to me - and if I can even begin to hold up to his high standards, then I'll be doing good.

    Forever in my heart and mind, I love you, Sundance. R.I.P. May 12, 1995 - October 8, 2008

    His pics are available in my Expressions page - and also our new golden "Harley" is out there too.

    Nice post, Jennie - take care, Darlin' :)

    "Dr.Sundance"
    -Craig
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824
    Sundanceh said:

    You Know My Story :)
    But in the interest of all of the new folks, I will mention it again:

    SUNDANCE:
    Sundance was my first dog (he really was a person in fur). He was a Golden Retriever. We had him 13 years before Cancer took him from us. He was the light of our lives - a companion and person in the truest sense of the word - I could swear he was just about to "talk" to us. What he could not say verbally, he said with his emotions and his beautiful expressions - they said a mouthful.

    Before I was first diagnosed, Sundance used to lay his down on my colon, not just anywhere but a certain spot. I had read where dogs can detect cancer, but at that time did not think much of it. After the diagnosis was confirmed, it made me think though. He supported me as much as he could during my recovery and having him here with me was so comforting and having someone to talk to just made the days seem easier.

    When we thought we were clear from Cancer, Sundance began lying his head down on my liver regularly. Kim and I used to joke and say "Sundance, does your papa have Cancer again?" Amazingly, it was liver cancer and Sundance had found it before the doctors.

    He was an amazing spirit and apparently pretty darn smart too! When I found the board, I was at a different place than most people who come here. I came here "after the fact." I had already been through so many treatments and surgeries that everyone was about to undergo, and I felt an immediate connection and kinship to the people's stories that I was reading. It was overwhelming and I knew immediately, this was the place that I needed to be. I wanted to try and help people on their journey and let them know what I experienced and that after 5 years at that time, that they could do this too.

    So, because of how Sundance "helped me" during my Cancer journey, I HONORED him by taking his name and began to help others - as he had so diligently helped me. That's a true story!

    The other day, I jokingly referred to myself as "Dr. Sundance." Another tribute to him as he was smarter than my own doctors in finding cancer not ONCE but TWICE.

    Sundance was a LEGEND to me - and if I can even begin to hold up to his high standards, then I'll be doing good.

    Forever in my heart and mind, I love you, Sundance. R.I.P. May 12, 1995 - October 8, 2008

    His pics are available in my Expressions page - and also our new golden "Harley" is out there too.

    Nice post, Jennie - take care, Darlin' :)

    "Dr.Sundance"
    -Craig

    JayLo
    In 2001 I was driving down a busy boulevard and saw a little kitty in the middle of the street.Someone had put her out to fend for herself. I pulled over and opened my car door and she jumped in. My intent was to take her to the humane society as I already had 2 male cats. I called them and they said they do not take strays! Well duh! So I called the city pound and they told me they could only take her if I paid them because I live outside the city limits. I explained that I had taken her off the street in THEIR city but they wanted money.

    Long & short of it after a few days of trying to find her a home I realized she already had a home...my house! She had fleas from head to foot, terrible ear mites and big old wide, swishing hips ( thus the name JayLo ).

    Like Sundance, JayLo has been my help, my joy, and my big old warm bedbuddy. She is maintaining at 17 lbs. and I worry that she doesn't get enough exercise ...but, she cannot go outside because she is prone to street walking.

    I took the name JayLo simply because I knew that I could remember it to sign on.


    -Pat aka Jaylo969
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Great Thread Jennie!
    Mine is pretty obvious when you see my signature. Not too creative.
    I'm Rob "semi-colon" in Vancouver.
    British Columbia that is, not Vancouver, Washington

    Be well... Rob; in Vancouver
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Mine is easy
    I love kitties. I have had one or two at a time most of my adult life.

    While cats can be independent at times, I have had wonderful sucess with getting them to come when called by their name.

    Since I have been sick one of the two I have now is always close by...guess they take turns making sure I am ok.

    They are my 'live-in' family and I don't think I could do without them.

    I love kitties!

    Marie
  • WinneyPooh
    WinneyPooh Member Posts: 318
    winneyPooh
    This is my childhood name, it was shorten to Pooh later so when i came down with the POOH CANCER, I figured it fit.
    thats my story
    Penny
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942
    Not creative :-)
    Actually, when we got our first computer, I signed up for some kids sites for Nick and could never remember what cutesy name I'd used and where so I changed over to my real name and use it everywhere. Hubby uses his name (not James but Jim) and Nick uses his real name. Our two grown sons use their real names.
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635

    Not creative :-)
    Actually, when we got our first computer, I signed up for some kids sites for Nick and could never remember what cutesy name I'd used and where so I changed over to my real name and use it everywhere. Hubby uses his name (not James but Jim) and Nick uses his real name. Our two grown sons use their real names.

    Just plain ol me
    well L is for Louann and my last name is carper how boring is that really I am so chemo brained couldn't remember anything else...
  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 586
    lcarper2 said:

    Just plain ol me
    well L is for Louann and my last name is carper how boring is that really I am so chemo brained couldn't remember anything else...

    well considering...
    considering what you are going through we will cut you some slack. Seems some people, like Diane and myself just use our names. Simple enough even a chemo brained dolt like me can remember it most days.
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606
    all this time
    Damn, and all this time I thought these people must have had strange parents.
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    well,
    My real name is Patty-

    well,

    My real name is Patty- I used to hate my name- on top of it my last name is Smith. I really hated my name. But I was also protective of it, correcting those who spelled it with an "i" and not wanting to be Pat. I thought when I got married I could finally be happy with my name- only I married a Carlson, and I was 28 and well established in a career, so I ended up going hyphened anyway. When I divorced? It was my golden opportunity to change and morph into a name that was ME. But the reality then at age 42, Patty Smith was who I was and would always be. There is a lot of pride and joy there- my parents gave me this name, it has a history, it connects me to my people. I love my name :)

    And Patteee? It is the way it sounds, long on the E.
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679
    Great thread Jen. I love
    Great thread Jen. I love these stories. Hope to read lots more. I have to admit. I've been wonderin' about Jaylo.

    This is pasted from my "About Me" page.

    Explanation of the name Crow71:
    1971 is the year I was born.
    Back in the Fall I read about a kind of meditation where you picture an animal attacking and destroying the cancer in your body. That sounded cool. I set up a little meditation spot in the field above my house and set about trying to picture the most ferocious animal I could think of. Unfortunately I'm totally ADD and could not block out the noisy cawing of the family of crows that hangs out around my house. "I'll picture a big, bad Tiger." "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Okay. How about an elephant stomping the crap out of the tumors." "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Okay. Maybe a pack of wolves" "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Well then maybe a bunch of ants, cuz they're sure doing a number on my legs!!!" "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Screw it!!!" After having a really great conversation with a friend of mine, I came to the realization that I don't choose the animal. The animal chooses me. It was very troubling though, because of all the great lore and mythology that surounds the crow, the animal is often seen as a bad omen. It brings the death message. The other day Kim reminded me that one of the fundamental differences between normal cells and cancers cells is that cancer cells do not die on there own. We have to kill them with chemo and/or radiation; or starve them to death; or cut them out. The other night a new thought came to me. The crows are not bringing the death message to me. The crows are bringing the death message to my cancer. That's the way I see it. So I have a new found love and appreciation for crows.
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Crow71 said:

    Great thread Jen. I love
    Great thread Jen. I love these stories. Hope to read lots more. I have to admit. I've been wonderin' about Jaylo.

    This is pasted from my "About Me" page.

    Explanation of the name Crow71:
    1971 is the year I was born.
    Back in the Fall I read about a kind of meditation where you picture an animal attacking and destroying the cancer in your body. That sounded cool. I set up a little meditation spot in the field above my house and set about trying to picture the most ferocious animal I could think of. Unfortunately I'm totally ADD and could not block out the noisy cawing of the family of crows that hangs out around my house. "I'll picture a big, bad Tiger." "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Okay. How about an elephant stomping the crap out of the tumors." "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Okay. Maybe a pack of wolves" "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Well then maybe a bunch of ants, cuz they're sure doing a number on my legs!!!" "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Screw it!!!" After having a really great conversation with a friend of mine, I came to the realization that I don't choose the animal. The animal chooses me. It was very troubling though, because of all the great lore and mythology that surounds the crow, the animal is often seen as a bad omen. It brings the death message. The other day Kim reminded me that one of the fundamental differences between normal cells and cancers cells is that cancer cells do not die on there own. We have to kill them with chemo and/or radiation; or starve them to death; or cut them out. The other night a new thought came to me. The crows are not bringing the death message to me. The crows are bringing the death message to my cancer. That's the way I see it. So I have a new found love and appreciation for crows.

    Your Cancer Spirit Guide!
    Too Cool! I think crows would do a great job. Pecking at those nasty little critters 'til they are all gone! Crows are intellegent, playful, and fiercely protectivve of family. You could do no better!

    Caw! Caw! Rob; in Vancouver
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522
    When I came here,my husband
    When I came here,my husband just got diagnosed and this was right after a month I arrived the U.S.Life was funny,we had been knowing each other for 5 years before we got married,and we were just so happy that I finally finished my school and we were doing perfectly fine in China.But suddenly my husband lost his position in Asica-pacific,and he had to move back to the U.S to look for a job,and he had to leave me behind because I didn't have an immigation visia.I just felt that we were on the top of mountain,but over night,we fell down to the foot of the mountain.Luckly,my husband found a job very quickly after he lost his job.To me,it wasn't fun,because it took 16 months for me to wait for the immigaration visa.Finally I got my visa,and my husband picked me up,I just got over jetleg,then my husband got diagnosed.I felt we fell down from the top of the mountain again.I cried for a couple of weeks,then I told myself,"this is not something I will accept in my life",I need to get over this and fight hard to win my life back.We have been through a lot,but "we both fight for my love",I believe we will get through this soon and our life will be back to normal.So if you love someone,fight for him or her,fight for your love!
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    robinvan said:

    Your Cancer Spirit Guide!
    Too Cool! I think crows would do a great job. Pecking at those nasty little critters 'til they are all gone! Crows are intellegent, playful, and fiercely protectivve of family. You could do no better!

    Caw! Caw! Rob; in Vancouver

    Mine is as basic as it gets.
    Mine is as basic as it gets. My name is Eric when I came on this site after being diagnosed I was 38. No creativity here. In fact, I may be slightly retarded. I should change my name to Special E. Im not toopid - I`m peshial.

    The cancer retard,
    Eric
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787
    eric38 said:

    Mine is as basic as it gets.
    Mine is as basic as it gets. My name is Eric when I came on this site after being diagnosed I was 38. No creativity here. In fact, I may be slightly retarded. I should change my name to Special E. Im not toopid - I`m peshial.

    The cancer retard,
    Eric

    Oh Eric... :)
    I am laughing so hard I am crying....omg.... you are off the chain dude!!! Love ya

    Jen
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679

    Oh Eric... :)
    I am laughing so hard I am crying....omg.... you are off the chain dude!!! Love ya

    Jen

    Eric 38, The Chemo Addict,
    Eric 38, The Chemo Addict, The Situation, Special E, The Cancer Retard - No matter the name, you are very peshial.
  • P_I_T_A
    P_I_T_A Member Posts: 133
    Yeah
    CRC is one big
    P_ain
    I_n
    T_he
    A_ss!!!

    -DJ
  • JR
    JR Member Posts: 139
    No creativity here ...
    First name and middle name, John Richard --------. Also some coworkers used to call me JR after the old night time soap opera "Dallas" I hope that I am not as big of an A-hole that he was.

    John
  • ADKer
    ADKer Member Posts: 147
    It's where I live
    I have lived in the foothills my entire life. I am an Adirondacker.
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606
    Crow71 said:

    Great thread Jen. I love
    Great thread Jen. I love these stories. Hope to read lots more. I have to admit. I've been wonderin' about Jaylo.

    This is pasted from my "About Me" page.

    Explanation of the name Crow71:
    1971 is the year I was born.
    Back in the Fall I read about a kind of meditation where you picture an animal attacking and destroying the cancer in your body. That sounded cool. I set up a little meditation spot in the field above my house and set about trying to picture the most ferocious animal I could think of. Unfortunately I'm totally ADD and could not block out the noisy cawing of the family of crows that hangs out around my house. "I'll picture a big, bad Tiger." "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Okay. How about an elephant stomping the crap out of the tumors." "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Okay. Maybe a pack of wolves" "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Well then maybe a bunch of ants, cuz they're sure doing a number on my legs!!!" "Caw! Caw! Caw!" "Screw it!!!" After having a really great conversation with a friend of mine, I came to the realization that I don't choose the animal. The animal chooses me. It was very troubling though, because of all the great lore and mythology that surounds the crow, the animal is often seen as a bad omen. It brings the death message. The other day Kim reminded me that one of the fundamental differences between normal cells and cancers cells is that cancer cells do not die on there own. We have to kill them with chemo and/or radiation; or starve them to death; or cut them out. The other night a new thought came to me. The crows are not bringing the death message to me. The crows are bringing the death message to my cancer. That's the way I see it. So I have a new found love and appreciation for crows.

    Go look here
    Roger,
    Go look at this web site. www.cancerstrategies.info