CSN Login
Members Online: 4

You are here

husband has prostate cancer and heart disease

sjs2371
Posts: 6
Joined: Dec 2009

I've been reading all the posts and it I'm so scared. My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in Sept and also with heart disease. He has had 2 stints put in and a pacemaker and is scheduled for robotic surgery the 29th. He had to wait for several months due to the blood thinners, etc. His gleason was an 8. I don't think he is prepared for the pain and pads and everything I have been reading about. Not to mention I am so worried about his heart during the surgery! I'm not in favor of surgery. I wanted him to have radiation. Please help calm me so I can be the support he will need. Thank you!

steckley
Posts: 100
Joined: Aug 2009

Hey SJS2371,

I was taken off of Warfarin (Coumadin - I took it after having a Pulmonary Embolism) before my robotic surgery. I'd also had three hernia surgerys (one had a mesh implanted) which also made my robotic procedure problematic. However, I wanted the cancer out and even though my urologist recommend seeds, I pushed for surgery (like you husband). My surgeon agreed and said he would try the DaVinci. From my viewpoint, it has worked well.

I had no problems being taken off of the blood thinner (Previously, I had been taken off for a hernia repair ... also with no problem).

I was up and walking about the same day as the robotic surgery (some pain, but no more than the hernia repairs). Went home the next day, where my wife was a huge help ... showers, cath., etc. She also stocked up on all of the supplies recommended by the doctor and various web sites ... everything from pads and silk boxers (less irritating to the cath than tighty whites) to creams and pain pills. Most of the stuff we stocked up on we didn't use, but we had it just in case. I got lucky and did not need the pads ... and from what I've read, many (most?) of the men who have this procedure do not need the pads after a period of time.

Best of luck in the New Year.
Bob

hopeful and opt...
Posts: 2226
Joined: Apr 2009

gold standard. A very high proportion of men have surgery versus other treatment options, with success. Basically it is an individual decision and we have to support these decisions....good luck............Ira

marteau
Posts: 27
Joined: Feb 2009

how old is your husband? answer is relevant re possible treatments.

142
Posts: 169
Joined: Dec 2009

I wrote a long post last night, but when I hit "preview", it vanished. Perhaps I had written too much -
I spent 6 weeks going back and forth between doctors, support groups, and friends who had family in the same boat. I am 56, had 9 0f 12 biopsies with Gleason 4+3, a PSA of 7.4 - had DaVinci, and the post op Gleason was 4+5. So pretty brutal. I think that I did the right thing, although I will admit I had second and third thoughts even up to arriving at the hospital - I am 8 weeks post-op, the prostate is gone, post-op PSA is 0.00, and if I have more problems, radiation remains an alternative (and they suggest it regardless). In my case, if I had done radiation first, it would have been months of treatment and waiting, and no more options if it had failed.
I hate the pads, and you likely saw my post on the use and relative costs. I am told that with the exercises, it will get better, just in time to be made worse by the radiation next spring. However, it is less of a problem than a lot of people have with other diseases, so I guess I will just be very happy with my 0 PSA.
As to being calm and collected in the face of this - it is surgery, and deserves a certain 'respect'. But the surgery is considered the 'gold standard' by every source I found except the radiation oncologist - she was driving home that I had a 70% chance of success. I asked about the other 30%, and that wrapped up my decision. Just be supportive of your husband. I've done this largely alone, not having family nearby. He will probably argue and grouse, but that is to be expected of us.

sjs2371
Posts: 6
Joined: Dec 2009

Thank you to everyone that replied. My husband is 59. Surgery is tomorrow. Please remember him (Dale)in your prayers. And I will try my best to help and support him. It must be very difficult to have to do it all alone.
Thanks again and best luck to all of you.
Sandy

142
Posts: 169
Joined: Dec 2009

You can post or send an email via the 'CSN email' link on the left if you have questions - I've had 8 weeks to think about what I could have done to make things easier. I'll keep an eye out for news from you.

JLM
Posts: 15
Joined: Dec 2009

Yes, I have heart trouble,and my heart doctor cleared me for the da Vince Robotic surgery. I had a mild heart-attack back in June of 1999. I take heart meds and warfran a blood thinner so I don't foam any blood clots. I had a very fast recovery and doing great.
You can email me at: jmm@jmmotw.com

JLM

sjs2371
Posts: 6
Joined: Dec 2009

Just wanted to let all of you know that the DiVinci surgery went very well and he had no problems at all with his heart. The anthesilogist was great and was well informed of his heart disease and tailored the meds to fit his condition. We were really blessed with very good doctors. I'll keep you updated on how things go.

142
Posts: 169
Joined: Dec 2009

He will need a bit of support tomorrow. I was able to get out of bed, but had problems walking very far. Let the nurses lead (they will push enough), and put on that positive face regardless of how far he gets. They wanted to send me home the day after, but that wasn't to be - it was three days before I was able to get around on my own. Then I tried by myself, but forgot to pick up my catheter bag. That brings you back to reality real quick.
Keep us up to date. We are here to help if we can.

Subscribe to Comments for "husband has prostate cancer and heart disease"