CSN Login
Members Online: 8

You are here

divorced and having insurance problems

Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 2009

I am a ten year survuvor. About 3 years ago i got divorced. I went on my ex-husbands cobro plan. i just remarried last Friday. Now I am finding out that his insurance plan wont cover me. My cobra is also running out. Between the 2 of us we have 4 young kids which puts me working full time out of the question. Has anyone ever run into a similar situation and if so, any words of advice?

MichelleP's picture
Posts: 254
Joined: May 2009

Have you ever worked before? If so, you might want to contact the Social Security and see if you earned enough credits for disability.

terato's picture
Posts: 383
Joined: Apr 2002

Qualify and Apply

Social Security pays disability benefits under two programs:

* The Social Security disability insurance program pays benefits to you and certain family members if you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.

Your adult child also may qualify for benefits on your earnings record if he or she has a disability that started before age 22.

The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources.

SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits.

For most people, the medical requirements for disability payments are the same under both programs and disability is determined by the same process.

Whether you apply for Social Security or SSI disability, we ask you for information about your medical condition, work and education history to help us decide if you are disabled under our rules.

Apply as soon as you become disabled. Most of the application forms can be completed online, depending on the type of benefit for which you apply:

Social Security Disability Benefits
You can complete both the Application and Adult Disability and Work History Report online.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
You can complete the online Adult Disability and Work History Report. Call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security Office to set up an appointment to complete the SSI application form in person or over the phone.

Disability benefits for children
You can complete the Child Disability Report online. Call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security Office to set up an appointment to complete the rest of the application in person or over the phone.

Love and Courage!


shrevebud's picture
Posts: 106
Joined: Aug 2009


First, congratulations on your recent marriage and your great survival rate and drats to the insurance company. I don't know a lot about this but have some ideas. Every state is supposed to have a list of companies that offer a HIPPA policy - the drawback from what I've heard is the cost is high. If they don't have a website you might have to call the department of insurance, the commissioner of insurance, etc. office in your state capital and ask about what company offers a plan. Some states have Medicaid that you can buy just like a regular insurance policy - there are several types of Medicaid. That might be something to check into - at least that would give you some coverage. The other point I've learned through another website is to not go over 2 months of being uninsured - that's what I've heard from others. A website that might offer some ideas is www.covertheuninsured.org. This is run by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (the Johnson and Johnson brand family). I know about some of these things because I work in a medium-sized medical center and we have a lot of uninsured patients and a lot of Medicaid patients, so I've learned some about this subject over the years. I wish you the best of luck. Roy

Subscribe to Comments for "divorced and having insurance problems"