Advance Sling Recipients

lion1
lion1 Member Posts: 241
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
To All:

Anyone who has had the Advance Sling in the last 18 months---please respond to this post with your experiences, results, and quality of Life. The time is approaching for me soon and this is the direction I am headed. Appreciate all your comments. I know since this is a new procedure unlike the Invance Sling--I MAY NOT GET A LOT OF RESPONSES.

Thanks,

Lion1

Comments

  • trebb96
    trebb96 Member Posts: 8
    Sling
    I am 20 months since rp. In December 2008 I had the sling procedure. Previous to the surgery I was using 6 pads a day. After the surgery the immediate result was zero pads and dry. About 45 days after the surgery I had a severe cold and coughed a lot and the incontinence returned. My urologist said I had "Broken the Sling". Seven months AFTER the Sling I am now using one or two pads a week. Stress incontinence still causes me to leak; but not much. I wear a pad when I am "dressed in a suit". Urologist says that the sling is now working. Go Figure.
  • tpelle
    tpelle Member Posts: 184
    trebb96 said:

    Sling
    I am 20 months since rp. In December 2008 I had the sling procedure. Previous to the surgery I was using 6 pads a day. After the surgery the immediate result was zero pads and dry. About 45 days after the surgery I had a severe cold and coughed a lot and the incontinence returned. My urologist said I had "Broken the Sling". Seven months AFTER the Sling I am now using one or two pads a week. Stress incontinence still causes me to leak; but not much. I wear a pad when I am "dressed in a suit". Urologist says that the sling is now working. Go Figure.

    AMS InVance or AdVance Sling
    trebb96: Your circumstances are unusual; still the sling is working for you. Did you have the AMS InVance or AdVance sling surgery or another sling surgery? I understand that the AdVance is the newer of the AMS procedures and has received good reviews. I'm considering it.
    Appreciate any further comments or advice.
  • WHW
    WHW Member Posts: 189
    Possible Answers to Your Advanced Sling Questions
    There is another forum site that has many members and posters that discuss Prostate Cancer and related topics. I took the liberty of doing a search for you on this site for the topic of Advanced Sling. The following link is the results page from that search.

    http://www.healingwell.com/community/search.aspx?cx=010904608862850737972:1v124njdg5g&cof=FORID:9&ie=UTF-8&q=advanced+sling+surgery&sa=Search#1066

    The site is healingwell.org.

    Good luck in your search. Let me know if this helps and answers your questions. I am going for my da Vinci in mid September and will be following all of the incontinence and ED topics with keen awareness.

    Sonny
  • lion1
    lion1 Member Posts: 241
    WHW said:

    Possible Answers to Your Advanced Sling Questions
    There is another forum site that has many members and posters that discuss Prostate Cancer and related topics. I took the liberty of doing a search for you on this site for the topic of Advanced Sling. The following link is the results page from that search.

    http://www.healingwell.com/community/search.aspx?cx=010904608862850737972:1v124njdg5g&cof=FORID:9&ie=UTF-8&q=advanced+sling+surgery&sa=Search#1066

    The site is healingwell.org.

    Good luck in your search. Let me know if this helps and answers your questions. I am going for my da Vinci in mid September and will be following all of the incontinence and ED topics with keen awareness.

    Sonny

    WHW-TPELLE-ADVANCE SLING
    I visited that website and I have concluded that with everyone being so different---this surgery is a real crap-shoot. Some guys are doing great--others have been made worse. Boy, if I only could predict the future?? It seems that if you're going to have the Sling procedure--you have to choose the best doctor--Like at Duke University---but if your insurance does cover it and you try another surgeon??????


    This makes you think that if you are incontinent and not in any pain, maybe you should leave well-enough alone. I just don't have the answer and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it---and that bridge is coming up soon!

    Lion1
  • tpelle
    tpelle Member Posts: 184
    lion1 said:

    WHW-TPELLE-ADVANCE SLING
    I visited that website and I have concluded that with everyone being so different---this surgery is a real crap-shoot. Some guys are doing great--others have been made worse. Boy, if I only could predict the future?? It seems that if you're going to have the Sling procedure--you have to choose the best doctor--Like at Duke University---but if your insurance does cover it and you try another surgeon??????


    This makes you think that if you are incontinent and not in any pain, maybe you should leave well-enough alone. I just don't have the answer and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it---and that bridge is coming up soon!

    Lion1

    I Hear You!
    lion 1: I hear you -- "crap shoot" "leave well enough alone". Yet, don't you think that most us who post are having issues and are looking for help; and those who have had successful outcomes are seldom represented among the posters. If that is so, then maybe we are not hearing about the vast majority of successful sling surgeries. tpelle
  • lion1
    lion1 Member Posts: 241
    tpelle said:

    I Hear You!
    lion 1: I hear you -- "crap shoot" "leave well enough alone". Yet, don't you think that most us who post are having issues and are looking for help; and those who have had successful outcomes are seldom represented among the posters. If that is so, then maybe we are not hearing about the vast majority of successful sling surgeries. tpelle

    Sling Story
    tpelle,

    You are absolutely right. I am sure there are a multitude of men who have had successful results. It's also true that once you're cured you no longer look for answers. That's why there are only a few responses from men who have been cured by the Sling or AUS, because these individuals feel a calling to share their experiences to help us still trying to get Dry.

    I am on the same page with you------------Lion1
  • NM
    NM Member Posts: 214
    lion1 said:

    Sling Story
    tpelle,

    You are absolutely right. I am sure there are a multitude of men who have had successful results. It's also true that once you're cured you no longer look for answers. That's why there are only a few responses from men who have been cured by the Sling or AUS, because these individuals feel a calling to share their experiences to help us still trying to get Dry.

    I am on the same page with you------------Lion1

    good luck to you
    I havent had my surgery yet but hearing stories like this actually do not upset me as it will be what it will be but I am impressed but your never give up attitude. Hope you lion 1 and tpelle both make decisions you can live with and I will have you in my thoughs. Thanks for the post about mercy hospital too but I have since switched to Danville and more experienced doctors thanks and bless you both .....Nick
  • skirk07631
    skirk07631 Member Posts: 4
    Advance Sling Receipient

    Hi Lion1 & others,

    I had the ams advance sling procedure on july 8,2010. it has been almost 1 month since the procedure. Before the procedure I would leak from a cough, sneeze, or laughing. I have not leaked at all since the procedure. But I did have severe tenderness & pain in my testicles for about 2 weeks followed by slight discomfort as of the writting of this response. However I am satisfied thus far with this procedure. Hope this helps somewhat.

    Skirk07631
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 931 Member
    lion1 said:

    WHW-TPELLE-ADVANCE SLING
    I visited that website and I have concluded that with everyone being so different---this surgery is a real crap-shoot. Some guys are doing great--others have been made worse. Boy, if I only could predict the future?? It seems that if you're going to have the Sling procedure--you have to choose the best doctor--Like at Duke University---but if your insurance does cover it and you try another surgeon??????


    This makes you think that if you are incontinent and not in any pain, maybe you should leave well-enough alone. I just don't have the answer and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it---and that bridge is coming up soon!

    Lion1

    You will find out that
    You will find out that incontinence is not that easy to live with. Take a look at the AUS- Artificial Urinary Sphincter. Guys seem to be having much better success with it.
  • tpelle
    tpelle Member Posts: 184

    Advance Sling Receipient

    Hi Lion1 & others,

    I had the ams advance sling procedure on july 8,2010. it has been almost 1 month since the procedure. Before the procedure I would leak from a cough, sneeze, or laughing. I have not leaked at all since the procedure. But I did have severe tenderness & pain in my testicles for about 2 weeks followed by slight discomfort as of the writting of this response. However I am satisfied thus far with this procedure. Hope this helps somewhat.

    Skirk07631

    Doing Well, Great!
    Skirk: You seem to be doing well for such a short interval after AdVance surgery. I'm wondering how you decided on AdVance and on what basis did you choose the surgeon. Did you go to a local surgeon/hospital or to one of the noted "experts" in the urology field?

    My open radical prostatectomy was almost eight years ago by a local urologist/surgeon in a rural county hospital. PSA is still <.01 but I have been averaging 2 pads per day. His sling surgery experience is mostly on women because his incontinence rate following radical prostectomy is a low 2 - 3 percent. He will do sling surgery but does not use the AdVance system. As lion1 questioned, should I leave well-enough alone?

    Appreciate any further comments. tpelle
  • bigxbadxjohn3
    bigxbadxjohn3 Member Posts: 20
    tpelle said:

    Doing Well, Great!
    Skirk: You seem to be doing well for such a short interval after AdVance surgery. I'm wondering how you decided on AdVance and on what basis did you choose the surgeon. Did you go to a local surgeon/hospital or to one of the noted "experts" in the urology field?

    My open radical prostatectomy was almost eight years ago by a local urologist/surgeon in a rural county hospital. PSA is still <.01 but I have been averaging 2 pads per day. His sling surgery experience is mostly on women because his incontinence rate following radical prostectomy is a low 2 - 3 percent. He will do sling surgery but does not use the AdVance system. As lion1 questioned, should I leave well-enough alone?

    Appreciate any further comments. tpelle</p>

    AdVance Sling Success
    Dear tpelle,

    I was implanted with a Coloplast Virtue sling one year ago. It was a total failure resulting in increased pad usage and continuous intolerable pain that extends to this day.

    Some percentage of the Virtue sling was surgically removed and an AdVance sling was implanted in my body during a 3 1/2 hour surgery at the Cleveland Clinic last December.

    Totally unlike the Virtue sling, the results of the AdVance sling have been fantastic. I have not requires a single pad since my December surgery. This success follows more than 10 years of constant pad usage.

    Although I continue to suffer continuous intolerable pain related to the initial Virtue implant I am a strong advocate of male sling surgery for incontinence.

    From my experience, if you are implanted with a device that enjoys a good history, and choose a well experienced doctor with that device, the odds are in your favor of having a good outcome.

    Best wishes,

    John
  • tpelle
    tpelle Member Posts: 184

    AdVance Sling Success
    Dear tpelle,

    I was implanted with a Coloplast Virtue sling one year ago. It was a total failure resulting in increased pad usage and continuous intolerable pain that extends to this day.

    Some percentage of the Virtue sling was surgically removed and an AdVance sling was implanted in my body during a 3 1/2 hour surgery at the Cleveland Clinic last December.

    Totally unlike the Virtue sling, the results of the AdVance sling have been fantastic. I have not requires a single pad since my December surgery. This success follows more than 10 years of constant pad usage.

    Although I continue to suffer continuous intolerable pain related to the initial Virtue implant I am a strong advocate of male sling surgery for incontinence.

    From my experience, if you are implanted with a device that enjoys a good history, and choose a well experienced doctor with that device, the odds are in your favor of having a good outcome.

    Best wishes,

    John

    Continence Achieved
    BBJ: Thanks for your comments. I've been reading your occasional posts with keen interest from the beginning. They have been most helpful. Your odyssey to continence has certainly included a tragic twist. Boo Coloplast! tpelle
  • skirk07631
    skirk07631 Member Posts: 4
    tpelle said:

    Doing Well, Great!
    Skirk: You seem to be doing well for such a short interval after AdVance surgery. I'm wondering how you decided on AdVance and on what basis did you choose the surgeon. Did you go to a local surgeon/hospital or to one of the noted "experts" in the urology field?

    My open radical prostatectomy was almost eight years ago by a local urologist/surgeon in a rural county hospital. PSA is still <.01 but I have been averaging 2 pads per day. His sling surgery experience is mostly on women because his incontinence rate following radical prostectomy is a low 2 - 3 percent. He will do sling surgery but does not use the AdVance system. As lion1 questioned, should I leave well-enough alone?

    Appreciate any further comments. tpelle</p>

    Still doing well

    tpelle,

    I used the same urologist that performed my Radical prosectomy two years ago. He was refered to me by a couple of people when i was first having problem with an enlarged prostate. He has been perfect for me ever since. Sometimes you can just tell when you have that special doctor that takes a personal interest in his work & patient. my psa is still non measureable. personally i think that you are a perfect candidate for the AMS Advance sling.I and my urologist are located in Englewood, NJ. If you wish i can give you his information. Whatever route that you consider to take I pray that you'll achieve the results that you are looking for.
  • GatorDad
    GatorDad Member Posts: 6

    Still doing well

    tpelle,

    I used the same urologist that performed my Radical prosectomy two years ago. He was refered to me by a couple of people when i was first having problem with an enlarged prostate. He has been perfect for me ever since. Sometimes you can just tell when you have that special doctor that takes a personal interest in his work & patient. my psa is still non measureable. personally i think that you are a perfect candidate for the AMS Advance sling.I and my urologist are located in Englewood, NJ. If you wish i can give you his information. Whatever route that you consider to take I pray that you'll achieve the results that you are looking for.

    Sling
    FWIW, I had DaVinci Jan '09. Normal problems afterwards. I was using 4/6 pads per day by the end of '09.

    I had the Coloplast Virtue Sling installed Dec '09. Within a few days I was 80% better than before. It's now August and I'm about 95% there. I still have a few leaks and I have to hold my kegels when I sneeze/cough. I don't know if I'll ever be 100%, but that's OK.

    WARNING: the out-patient procedure kicked my butt because I'm 49 and not used to having my legs wrapped up around my head for a few hours. My hip joints hurt worse than any surgery I ever had. Do some yoga or something before you have such a procedure. Limber up...
  • msdaniel
    msdaniel Member Posts: 2
    advance sling
    Had second one in Oct 2010. Went from 8 pads/day to 1/day and it is not full like they would in 2 hrs before. The first one a year ago "slipped" and became ineffective. I went 3 years with incontenance before the first surgery. If it stays like this I am happy.
  • ob66
    ob66 Member Posts: 227 Member
    msdaniel said:

    advance sling
    Had second one in Oct 2010. Went from 8 pads/day to 1/day and it is not full like they would in 2 hrs before. The first one a year ago "slipped" and became ineffective. I went 3 years with incontenance before the first surgery. If it stays like this I am happy.

    A different response
    For those reading this thread and not having had the procedure yet, I would advise looking into the AUS. I had this implanted in May 2010, and activated in August 2010 (activation awaited completion of RT). To date it has been nothing but a tremedous success. I went from 8-10 pads to NO pads. I do wear a very thin "panty liner" when I go out more for peace of mind than anything else. I am sure I could go without, but there are a few vigorous sneezes that will produce a squirt or two. I have also counseled an old friend who had been incontinent for 18 years post RT. Because of the tissue changes he had from the RT years ago he had double sleaves put in. His surgery was done by a top of the line specialist due to degree of difficulty. The success two months later for him is life changing. One pad a day maybe, where he was 10-12 per day. I know it is too late for those who have had the advance surgery (which I initially wanted), but for those who are lurking and getting input, I would consider the AUS seriously. Hope this helps.