Jan Trinks
Jan Trinks Member Posts: 477
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi All!

We have just found out that our precious 62 year old cousin has adencarinoma lung and the pet scan showed it has spread to the bones; pelvis and spine. She will start chemo Monday a 6 hour treatment and then another one in three weeks. She is a lifelong non-smoker. Her husband is a smoker although quit for awhile after his open heart surgery several years ago; but is now smoking again. Anybody out there got any words of wisdom. Her mother (my aunt) turned 91 today and is recovering from a light stroke; but she's pretty savy and dealing with it as well as can be expected.

As some of you know, my husband just finished chemo in January and radiation in April for head and neck cancer and got his port out last week. His CT scan in June was fabulous; so I know miracles happen. Will appreciate any thoughts as we as a family are in wonderful gratefulness and praise for my husband; but devastated by this news of our cousin. Thanks.

Jan Trinks


  • ljrn1963
    ljrn1963 Member Posts: 7
    I'm sorry to hear the news
    I'm sorry to hear the news of your cousin. Metastasis to the bones is very painful.
  • seanslove
    seanslove Member Posts: 70
    port out
    You said your husband got his port out,how long did he have it in,we really do not want this thing in the first place,so we are trying to find other that have been able to also have them removed. His sister has had hers for over nine years and another friend who has had his for four years. Years are not an option in our case,we want it gone asap!
  • Jan Trinks
    Jan Trinks Member Posts: 477
    Port Out
    Dear Seanslove:

    My husband has his port put in on Nov. 20, 2008. He started chemo on Dec. 1,2008 another on Dec. 22 and Jan. 19, 2009. He had two treatments in conjunction with the seven weeks radiation treatment. So all in all, he had the port from Nov. 20, 2008 to July 1, 2009 was when he got it out. He didn't have any trouble with it and it really never bothered him. His was in his arm. I will tell you this, it was really convenient as they don't have to bother with finding good veins when he took chemo. And, also he had to be hospitalized for three days in December because of side effects from the first chemo and while he was there, they used his port to administer the antibiotics and fluids during that time. Fortunately, he didn't suffer any side effects to that extent after the first chemo. He had thought that they would probably leave it in until they do his follow up pet scan in a couple of months, but his oncologist, said no, it could come out now!