Just DXed with Cancer of the Vulva May 2009 don't know what to do

Hi all,
New here. I was just DXed with vulva cancer May 2009. At that time it was 6 cm, but it is growing fast. I have not been to the Surgeon/Gyn/Oncology yet. I can Not find someone to drive me the 75 miles to get started.
I am so very worried, confused, down and more. I just don't know what to do or who to turn to for help getting a ride. Yes I can get a gas card, but still need someone to drive me.
I also care for my husband who also has cancer CLL-type of Leukemia, sever COPD, and ET. He is on Oxygen 24/7. So we don't drive. We don't even own a car. I walk to get Groceries, rain, snow, or sunny.
I have slowed way down energy wise.
Thank you for letting me vent a little.
hug and a smile
MrssPJ aka Phylis

Comments

  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    Phylis,
    I would recommend

    Phylis,
    I would recommend contacting your nearest ACS sponsor and see if they can help you with a ride. Wishing you the best of luck.
  • MrssPJ
    MrssPJ Member Posts: 4
    beckyracn said:

    Phylis,
    I would recommend

    Phylis,
    I would recommend contacting your nearest ACS sponsor and see if they can help you with a ride. Wishing you the best of luck.

    Ride
    I did contact ACS - they do not have any rides from my area. They can help with a gas card. If I can find a ride. I have called the Senior Services Center in my area. They can give me a ride for $125. Although If and when I get a medical card they will give me rides free or very very reduced rate. But that doesn't help me right now. I should be hearing from my Social Worker next month about a medical card.
    Thanks
    Hug and a smile
    Phylis aka MrssPJ
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    MrssPJ said:

    Ride
    I did contact ACS - they do not have any rides from my area. They can help with a gas card. If I can find a ride. I have called the Senior Services Center in my area. They can give me a ride for $125. Although If and when I get a medical card they will give me rides free or very very reduced rate. But that doesn't help me right now. I should be hearing from my Social Worker next month about a medical card.
    Thanks
    Hug and a smile
    Phylis aka MrssPJ

    I am so sorry that your not
    I am so sorry that your not having any luck. I was lucky enough to have friends and family there when I needed a ride and I am now a volunteer for ACS to transport patients to and from treatments, but I haven't received any requests. I have no other ideas on where you could look and it surprises me that ACS doesn't have any options for you. I wish you all the luck in the world on your endeavor...you don't need this on top of everything else at this time!
  • MrssPJ
    MrssPJ Member Posts: 4
    beckyracn said:

    I am so sorry that your not
    I am so sorry that your not having any luck. I was lucky enough to have friends and family there when I needed a ride and I am now a volunteer for ACS to transport patients to and from treatments, but I haven't received any requests. I have no other ideas on where you could look and it surprises me that ACS doesn't have any options for you. I wish you all the luck in the world on your endeavor...you don't need this on top of everything else at this time!

    Ride location
    Hi Beckyracn
    By change would you live by me?
    I lice in Morrison IL. Northwestern IL In Whiteside county.
    I can get a gas card from ACS.
    Just wondering. Kind of getting desperate at this point, I guess.
    Guess I will just have to wait for a state medical card approval to get this taken care of. That should be around the end of July.
    At the rate this is growing it might be 6-7 INCHES by then.
    So very big and very very painful.
    I am hurting ands burning so bad I do not sleep eat or sit very long and don't know what to do about it.
    Well thank you very much.
    hug and a smile
    Phylis aka MrssPJ
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    MrssPJ said:

    Ride location
    Hi Beckyracn
    By change would you live by me?
    I lice in Morrison IL. Northwestern IL In Whiteside county.
    I can get a gas card from ACS.
    Just wondering. Kind of getting desperate at this point, I guess.
    Guess I will just have to wait for a state medical card approval to get this taken care of. That should be around the end of July.
    At the rate this is growing it might be 6-7 INCHES by then.
    So very big and very very painful.
    I am hurting ands burning so bad I do not sleep eat or sit very long and don't know what to do about it.
    Well thank you very much.
    hug and a smile
    Phylis aka MrssPJ

    Phylis,
    If I did live near

    Phylis,
    If I did live near you I would help out in a heartbeat...but alas, I live very far away...upstate NY. Don't give up hope. Keep searching...there has to be something available. Waiting until the end of July is NOT the answer. Keeping you in my prayers!
  • MrssPJ
    MrssPJ Member Posts: 4
    beckyracn said:

    Phylis,
    If I did live near

    Phylis,
    If I did live near you I would help out in a heartbeat...but alas, I live very far away...upstate NY. Don't give up hope. Keep searching...there has to be something available. Waiting until the end of July is NOT the answer. Keeping you in my prayers!

    found ride to surgeon
    Hi
    Just wanted to let you know I FOUND a ride to go to the gyn/oncologist surgeon.
    My son's best friend is going to take me- well him or his wife. He got his days off changed and can now take me on a Tuesday.
    So things are starting to go a little right for now.
    Hug and a smile
    MrssPJ Phylis
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    MrssPJ said:

    found ride to surgeon
    Hi
    Just wanted to let you know I FOUND a ride to go to the gyn/oncologist surgeon.
    My son's best friend is going to take me- well him or his wife. He got his days off changed and can now take me on a Tuesday.
    So things are starting to go a little right for now.
    Hug and a smile
    MrssPJ Phylis

    Great news Phylis :):):)
    Great news Phylis :):):) Hope all goes well...keep us posted.
  • pjeanscene
    pjeanscene Member Posts: 6
    Hi Phylis
    Sorry you had such a rough beginning to your diagnosis but I'm sure glad you found a ride. I am a vulvar cancer survivor and just had surgery on 5/28 for a recurrence. My initital diagnosis was in August 2003.

    I have belonged to an online support group since my initial diagnosis. I would like to recommend it to you. womenconqueringcancer.org A wonderful group of women who, between all of us, have been through just about everything.

    Once you meet with your gyn/onc, they may have other resources for you as well. I am currently trying to find someone to take me to radiation once that starts. My doctor told me that I will be able to drive for about the first week or so but then I'll be too sore from the radiation to sit.

    I live in Ohio. If you're not real comfortable joining a group and would like to email me privately, feel free to do so. My email is [email protected]

    Good luck.

    Pam