Religious Forum..............???

Buzzard
Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am sorry that there are several that are upset with who I am or anyone else that just happens to believe in God. That's fine, you have every right. If you are making a statement by announcing that then, I feel sorry for you. I do believe in Him and yes He does warrant capital letters in my book. You can have your forum as it was and what I guess it was suppose to be. A forum to talk about cancer and its patients. I was only a newbie that tried to make a few people feel like their world wasn't crashing down on them and to those people I will continue to pray for you. You want your forum God free, sorry, its not exactly your forum and up until now I thought that it wasn't an issue but WHOA was I mistaken.....sorry if you are bitter because of what you are going through but you have to remember that all of us in one way or another went through the same feelings, the same outlooks, and the same fears that you have, and to have a God that will comfort you in these and every situation, well its indescribable what a calm feeling it gives me. Sorry it doesn't do the same for some of ya'll. In any event I will refrain from any more posting and you can now return to the things that to you are more important, I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes..... God Bless the ones that want it, and im sorry for the ones that don't............
«1

Comments

  • robertwoitas
    robertwoitas Member Posts: 17
    GOD
    Keep posting it does some of us good to hear it. For those that dont believe then just ignore it don't slam the ones that do. People on this site and GOD have given me hope to continue on with this terrible fight that all of have to deal with. GOD bless you all.
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565
    AMEN!
    Wow... I guess I have been away from the board too long!

    Buzzard, if this is what you believe, then you should be posting it here! NOBODY "owns" this forum!! If somebody is put-off by your using God with a capital G then they don't have to read or respond - just like they have the right to change the channel on their TV. The purpose of this forum is to provide folks an open - non-judgmental - place where they can come to ask questions, vent and provide support to others. Sounds to me like that's what you're doing by offering prayers and talking about what's getting you through.

    In my book, if someone wants to offer prayers - be they Christian prayers, Muslim prayers, Taoist mantras, Buddist chants, or Native American medicine man ceremonies, I'm all for it!

    This is your cancer forum as much as anyone else's. If God works for you and you want to post about it then you have as much right to do so as someone who has found that drinking fresh-squeezed wheat grass helps them does.

    POST ON!
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876
    Please don't go
    Buzzard,

    Please stay. This is everyone's forum. Your beliefs are yours and you have every right to express what gives you comfort. We are here to share our experiences and God has been a huge part of your experience. If there are others here with other beliefs, they have every right to share what got them through. I personally have found much comfort in your words and your sharing, and I really don't think you should let someone's bitterness drive you away. We need you here!

    Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610
    For once, I'm nearly speechless!
    Buzzard ~

    Ugh...this is just not how I wanted to start my day after a rough night's sleep...I hardly know what to say...

    Buzzard, you are a wonderful and inspirational man, who gives people great comfort and hope. You offer that up willingly, cheerfully and for no other reason than you are a good and spiritual man...yes, a man of God. You do indeed make a meaningful contribution here...please don't stop doing exactly what you have been doing.

    Like my dear husband Bob said, if someone does not like or...believe...what you have to say or offer, they can take it or leave it. As for me, I enjoy reading your posts and believe you have made this site a better place full of love and acceptance. Thank you for that.

    As far as I'm concerned, if someone got yanked up by God, or even the universe for that matter, being invited and included to participate in this site can very easily go to other online support forums that are less inclusive, and yes, less tolerant. Either that or they can simply not read your posts. To have one or a select few dictate what someone can or cannot say is not how I think this site - or America for that matter - should work.

    GOD bless you, Buzzard!

    Check this out:



    PEACE!!!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    no point
    I've learned not to argue with certain people, it's a lose/lose game.
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610
    usakat said:

    For once, I'm nearly speechless!
    Buzzard ~

    Ugh...this is just not how I wanted to start my day after a rough night's sleep...I hardly know what to say...

    Buzzard, you are a wonderful and inspirational man, who gives people great comfort and hope. You offer that up willingly, cheerfully and for no other reason than you are a good and spiritual man...yes, a man of God. You do indeed make a meaningful contribution here...please don't stop doing exactly what you have been doing.

    Like my dear husband Bob said, if someone does not like or...believe...what you have to say or offer, they can take it or leave it. As for me, I enjoy reading your posts and believe you have made this site a better place full of love and acceptance. Thank you for that.

    As far as I'm concerned, if someone got yanked up by God, or even the universe for that matter, being invited and included to participate in this site can very easily go to other online support forums that are less inclusive, and yes, less tolerant. Either that or they can simply not read your posts. To have one or a select few dictate what someone can or cannot say is not how I think this site - or America for that matter - should work.

    GOD bless you, Buzzard!

    Check this out:



    PEACE!!!

    Okay, I have one more thing to say....
    When I was first diagnosed and in treatment, or during other times in my life, people of various religous or non-religious beliefs offered up prayers, well wishes and encouragement to me in the manner in which they thought would be help me. My cousin even gave me a laying of hands "treatment" to me. For me these were (are) wonderful gifts, whether I personally believed in them or not. How sad if I were to refuse such beautiful gifts.

    Just a thought folks...perhaps being grateful rather than bitter is a better way to move through life?

    And whomever or whatever gives you hope and encouragement, may they bless you eternally...
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917
    GAHHHHHH!!!!!
    I was going to refrain from commenting on this topic, but I had a feeling you were going to post, Buzz, since you hadn't since those 2 posts were made. Here's my feelings on the subject ... and I have made the same comments before. We are all adults here. We all have the power of the mouse to click out of a thread if we don't like what is being said. We also have the power to NOT READ a particular topic if we find the contents offensive or (gasp) boring! Many a time I don't bother reading an entire thread because I just don't find it particularly relative to my situation, or I just don't feel like participating in that particular discussion. Why a person would take offense by somebody else's written word, one that NOBODY can possibly force them to read, is beyond me. Nobody has the right to dictate the contents of any public forum; if you want to participate in a specifically regulated topical forum, then join a private one, or better yet, create one that meets your exact needs, then invite others to join you in your quest. This is similar to my disappointment when I hear of a fellow church family member who gets disgusted by some private disagreement and decides the only way to resolve it is to leave the church in a huff, never to return. You have chosen to allow another person to keep you from something you love, which is incredibly childish, and gives another person power they shouldn't have over you. We all experience conflict in our lives, be it in person or in the online environment; how we deal with that conflict says a lot about us as people. Know that we can't please everyone everyday, just as they can't please us everyday. We are responsible for our happiness, or in converse, our unhappiness. If this forum offers you hope, continue to come. If you feel you have something to offer your fellow cancer survivors, then continue to come. When this forum stops meeting a need in your life, then it's alright to stop coming as well! But don't let personal conflict with one or more of your fellow survivors keep you from something that is important.

    Now, that's all I've got to say about that. Let's get back to what we all have come to this forum for, ok?
    mary
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917
    PhillieG said:

    no point
    I've learned not to argue with certain people, it's a lose/lose game.

    you know what they say
    be careful who you argue with, people watching may not be able to tell which one is the idiot!
    mary
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    msccolon said:

    GAHHHHHH!!!!!
    I was going to refrain from commenting on this topic, but I had a feeling you were going to post, Buzz, since you hadn't since those 2 posts were made. Here's my feelings on the subject ... and I have made the same comments before. We are all adults here. We all have the power of the mouse to click out of a thread if we don't like what is being said. We also have the power to NOT READ a particular topic if we find the contents offensive or (gasp) boring! Many a time I don't bother reading an entire thread because I just don't find it particularly relative to my situation, or I just don't feel like participating in that particular discussion. Why a person would take offense by somebody else's written word, one that NOBODY can possibly force them to read, is beyond me. Nobody has the right to dictate the contents of any public forum; if you want to participate in a specifically regulated topical forum, then join a private one, or better yet, create one that meets your exact needs, then invite others to join you in your quest. This is similar to my disappointment when I hear of a fellow church family member who gets disgusted by some private disagreement and decides the only way to resolve it is to leave the church in a huff, never to return. You have chosen to allow another person to keep you from something you love, which is incredibly childish, and gives another person power they shouldn't have over you. We all experience conflict in our lives, be it in person or in the online environment; how we deal with that conflict says a lot about us as people. Know that we can't please everyone everyday, just as they can't please us everyday. We are responsible for our happiness, or in converse, our unhappiness. If this forum offers you hope, continue to come. If you feel you have something to offer your fellow cancer survivors, then continue to come. When this forum stops meeting a need in your life, then it's alright to stop coming as well! But don't let personal conflict with one or more of your fellow survivors keep you from something that is important.

    Now, that's all I've got to say about that. Let's get back to what we all have come to this forum for, ok?
    mary

    Thanks...
    Yes, Mary, we are adults and have a delete key. Thanks for some sense in all this. I am a believer, but even if I say God Bless You, or I'm praying for you, that is MY choice...I am not asking you to do anything....

    BUZZARD. Of all people, you can't leave me now. You (and others) have pulled me through my worst times and encouraged my best times. I still NEED you, I'm not done yet.

    Get back in here young man!

    Vicki
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625
    Him
    Hi Buzzard and Others,

    I can only assume that you've read my rather lengthy reply on this subject by me on another thread. So, with that, I won't go into the lengthy reply again here, but I do want to say something about it here.
    Buzzard, I'm glad to feel the "bond" to you and a few others here who have posted on the board by the belief that our Lord and Savior (yes, that's what I said) has gotten us through all this turmoil of life and the uncertainty of the cancer journey. Buzz- please don't leave the forum and please don't give up your "God bless ya, hun"'s because a couple of people have been offended by it. You know that's going to be the case as a believer- the name of Jesus has a strong effect- people appreciate it or they run.

    I won't talk this way in the future to those who I know don't appreciate it, but all I can say is- it is who I am- a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ (now I've really gone and offended some, I'm sure, but I'm proud to be associated with being a believer in Him. It's how I get through life and I do wish and hope for others to know and experience what I have in that.

    Again, as was said already here, if certain people have been offended well, then I'm sorry for that- I won't talk about spiritual things to people who have stated they don't want to hear it. As for others- I know many people have stated they appreciate it- so I'm glad to be able to pray for some (and I DO!)

    I guess that's all I wanted to say here-

    God bless, (and I mean that when I say it)
    Lisa
  • CanadaSue
    CanadaSue Member Posts: 339
    lisa42 said:

    Him
    Hi Buzzard and Others,

    I can only assume that you've read my rather lengthy reply on this subject by me on another thread. So, with that, I won't go into the lengthy reply again here, but I do want to say something about it here.
    Buzzard, I'm glad to feel the "bond" to you and a few others here who have posted on the board by the belief that our Lord and Savior (yes, that's what I said) has gotten us through all this turmoil of life and the uncertainty of the cancer journey. Buzz- please don't leave the forum and please don't give up your "God bless ya, hun"'s because a couple of people have been offended by it. You know that's going to be the case as a believer- the name of Jesus has a strong effect- people appreciate it or they run.

    I won't talk this way in the future to those who I know don't appreciate it, but all I can say is- it is who I am- a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ (now I've really gone and offended some, I'm sure, but I'm proud to be associated with being a believer in Him. It's how I get through life and I do wish and hope for others to know and experience what I have in that.

    Again, as was said already here, if certain people have been offended well, then I'm sorry for that- I won't talk about spiritual things to people who have stated they don't want to hear it. As for others- I know many people have stated they appreciate it- so I'm glad to be able to pray for some (and I DO!)

    I guess that's all I wanted to say here-

    God bless, (and I mean that when I say it)
    Lisa

    Buzzard
    Buzzard,

    I am more a lurker than a poster here.....

    I come here everyday, to keep up on how everyone is doing. I can not say it any better than Mary, Lisa, or any of the others on this thread. I so look forward to your posts, your support, and the humor. You rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

    For those very FEW who are offended, might I suggest you just close out the thread if you are not interested, and carry on to the next.

    Buzzard please do not leave this site, because a few do not agree with your beliefs!


    God bless,

    Sue
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370
    Don't Go
    Hi Buzzard. Thought I would put my 2 cents in. I think it would be a shame for you to quit posting. When I first found this site your postings are always looked forward to. I am not a religious person, but I am not offended in any way that someone says God bless you or anything in that vein. If a person has faith and that helps get them through cancer or any of life's trials that is all the better for them and anyone else they help. A close friend who went to seminary wanted to lay on hands for me, and I did not refuse, it sure did not hurt me in any way, and I know it gave him great comfort also. Your postings are very uplifting, make people laugh, who really need something to smile about sometimes, and are heartfelt, so don't let a little bit of criticism end your good works.
    Pam
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917
    CanadaSue said:

    Buzzard
    Buzzard,

    I am more a lurker than a poster here.....

    I come here everyday, to keep up on how everyone is doing. I can not say it any better than Mary, Lisa, or any of the others on this thread. I so look forward to your posts, your support, and the humor. You rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

    For those very FEW who are offended, might I suggest you just close out the thread if you are not interested, and carry on to the next.

    Buzzard please do not leave this site, because a few do not agree with your beliefs!


    God bless,

    Sue

    how are you, Sue?
    I pray for you daily and was wondering how you are doing! Good to see you are at least lurking! Your husband was adding radiation for a new occurrence on his tailbone. How is that going?
    mary
  • rrob
    rrob Member Posts: 158
    Buzzard,

    I'm sorry that this has become such a divisive issue, because I don't believe that God wants it to be like this. As I posted to Phillie and Cheryl, I think we are a group and that we are strong because we are all unique. We all bring something different to the table and, just like real families, we all have differences and can sometimes disagree strongly. I certainly don't expect anyone to give up their faith to post here and, as I posted, I hope the spirit of my saying "I'm praying for you" is taken that I care enough to do the most powerful positive thing I know to do and that it is done out of caring.

    I think you have powerful words of encouragement to offer people who need hope from others who have been down this road already. I certainly hope you don't choose to take that away. I really, really believe that this forum is about support, love, encouragement, and hope, in any form or fashion that it is offered. There have been so many times that I have been deep in a dark place and I can come here and ask for prayer, words of encouragement, etc., and I've been given those freely from lots of different people in many different ways. Each person who took the time to post helped me and lifted me up with their love and caring. That is why I feel it is so important for all of us to keep being supportive and encouraging and we can each do it in the way that we believe. It all comes from our hearts.

    So please don't stop posting. Other people need you, as they've already reached out and said. I really believe that we can find a way to be a cohesive support system made up of different people with different beliefs who all care about each other. Because that is the bottom line, we do all care and want everyone to beat this disease. This post has been very difficult for me because it makes me so sad--I've tried really hard to think this through from all sides and I keep coming back to the fact that each person on this board is different, with different experiences to share, and laughter, caring, and hope to offer. In this fight, we need as much of these as possible, so please don't stop posting.

    Rebecca
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625
    rrob said:

    Buzzard,

    I'm sorry that this has become such a divisive issue, because I don't believe that God wants it to be like this. As I posted to Phillie and Cheryl, I think we are a group and that we are strong because we are all unique. We all bring something different to the table and, just like real families, we all have differences and can sometimes disagree strongly. I certainly don't expect anyone to give up their faith to post here and, as I posted, I hope the spirit of my saying "I'm praying for you" is taken that I care enough to do the most powerful positive thing I know to do and that it is done out of caring.

    I think you have powerful words of encouragement to offer people who need hope from others who have been down this road already. I certainly hope you don't choose to take that away. I really, really believe that this forum is about support, love, encouragement, and hope, in any form or fashion that it is offered. There have been so many times that I have been deep in a dark place and I can come here and ask for prayer, words of encouragement, etc., and I've been given those freely from lots of different people in many different ways. Each person who took the time to post helped me and lifted me up with their love and caring. That is why I feel it is so important for all of us to keep being supportive and encouraging and we can each do it in the way that we believe. It all comes from our hearts.

    So please don't stop posting. Other people need you, as they've already reached out and said. I really believe that we can find a way to be a cohesive support system made up of different people with different beliefs who all care about each other. Because that is the bottom line, we do all care and want everyone to beat this disease. This post has been very difficult for me because it makes me so sad--I've tried really hard to think this through from all sides and I keep coming back to the fact that each person on this board is different, with different experiences to share, and laughter, caring, and hope to offer. In this fight, we need as much of these as possible, so please don't stop posting.

    Rebecca

    well said
    Very well put, Rebecca. I agree with everything you said here.

    Lisa
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165
    lisa42 said:

    well said
    Very well put, Rebecca. I agree with everything you said here.

    Lisa

    I must of missed something
    Hey I like You and your thoughts and i think alot od people here do to. so please don't go.

    michelle
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625
    unknown said:

    This comment has been removed by the Moderator

    To the couple of you who posted saying "I must have missed something"- it got started within the last couple of days. It started in response to someone's comment in the middle of "concernedgal"'s "Hi from the UK! 32 Year Old Liver and Lung Mets" thread.
    I'm not trying to stir something up even more here, but with so many responses and the other threads started from it, I thought those of you who were wondering where it came from might want to know. To "concernedgal"- my apologies again, that it ended up in the middle of your thread and the messages got diverted away from your original post.

    Take care-
    Lisa
  • colon2
    colon2 Member Posts: 183
    lisa42 said:

    To the couple of you who posted saying "I must have missed something"- it got started within the last couple of days. It started in response to someone's comment in the middle of "concernedgal"'s "Hi from the UK! 32 Year Old Liver and Lung Mets" thread.
    I'm not trying to stir something up even more here, but with so many responses and the other threads started from it, I thought those of you who were wondering where it came from might want to know. To "concernedgal"- my apologies again, that it ended up in the middle of your thread and the messages got diverted away from your original post.

    Take care-
    Lisa

    Stand Strong Buzzard
    I must say that I am dissapointed to hear that someone would criticize someone elses posts. I totally agree that if it isn't your cup of tea, don't read it. As for me, i know the Lord and He knows me. I don't want to offend anyone who isn't a believer, but There are many of us who are, and God is a comfort to us. He is what gets us thru the tough times. Buzzard, don't let Satan win. Keep coming back for those of us that love you and your posts. You have been a great inspiration to me, and many others.
    God Bless You, Carletta
  • mkaz
    mkaz Member Posts: 12
    colon2 said:

    Stand Strong Buzzard
    I must say that I am dissapointed to hear that someone would criticize someone elses posts. I totally agree that if it isn't your cup of tea, don't read it. As for me, i know the Lord and He knows me. I don't want to offend anyone who isn't a believer, but There are many of us who are, and God is a comfort to us. He is what gets us thru the tough times. Buzzard, don't let Satan win. Keep coming back for those of us that love you and your posts. You have been a great inspiration to me, and many others.
    God Bless You, Carletta

    Don't Go Buzzard
    WOW! This is only my second visit to this site. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed talking to each and everyone of you on my first go around, especially you Buzzard. I am a believer also and I realize we don't all hold the same beliefs. But we should respect each others beliefs. If someone doesn't like whats being said, then back out of the conversation. I think we are all in agreement that we don't want you to go. Your a valuable contributor to the network.

    Mary Kaz