first chemo treatment, Nausa questions

irene77
irene77 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Having extreme nausa the medicine that I am taking for it is Zofran which makes me dizy and tired, also tried saltin crakers and 7up, nothing works, lost my appatate I eat very little wondering if the nausa gets worst with each treatment? I have to do this for six months every two weeks. I feel like the chemo is killing me, it feels like the worlds worse case of the flew. Would appreciate any suggestions to help with the nausa.
Irene
«1

Comments

  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    nausea......
    Hydration and Emend...the best nausea med around I think..Its a 3 pack dosage 1 each day before treatment...I don't eat or drink either for 4 days but hydration gets it out of your system faster other than that its just a nasty ride we have to take to NED...Hang in there , Im on my 11th of 12 a week from Monday.....Try Sunkist Orange Drink...its the only thing now I can drink that I can actually keep down......God Bless ya.....
  • sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    Irene
    I take phenegran and it has worked really good so far. I have had that feeling too but the phenegran seems to work, maybe ask your Dr about trying this good luck hope this helps

    Sheri22
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952
    try different things
    I also have had pretty good luck with Emend. But the important thing to realize is that there are a LOT of anti-nausea medicinces out there. If one doesn't work for you, tell the nurses/doc, and try another. I had to try several before I found the best for me. That being said, I did always have SOME nausea. Eat what you can. But, I tended not to eat much for a few days. If you can stay hydrated, that's the important thing. I didn't find that the nausea got worse over time.

    Good luck to you, Irene. You are not alone.

    Tara
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576
    taraHK said:

    try different things
    I also have had pretty good luck with Emend. But the important thing to realize is that there are a LOT of anti-nausea medicinces out there. If one doesn't work for you, tell the nurses/doc, and try another. I had to try several before I found the best for me. That being said, I did always have SOME nausea. Eat what you can. But, I tended not to eat much for a few days. If you can stay hydrated, that's the important thing. I didn't find that the nausea got worse over time.

    Good luck to you, Irene. You are not alone.

    Tara

    that's the pits
    Oh Irene: I am so sorry you have got such bad nausea.
    Is there anyway someone else could prepare you a little plate of something for you and bring it to in another room. Sometimes if you aren't in the kitchen smelling those smells it helps.

    Apple slices, slices of cucumber....try to think of something you would love to nibble on.

    Yes and a different anti nausea drug might help to,

    Good luck Irene
    All the best
    Maggie
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    maglets said:

    that's the pits
    Oh Irene: I am so sorry you have got such bad nausea.
    Is there anyway someone else could prepare you a little plate of something for you and bring it to in another room. Sometimes if you aren't in the kitchen smelling those smells it helps.

    Apple slices, slices of cucumber....try to think of something you would love to nibble on.

    Yes and a different anti nausea drug might help to,

    Good luck Irene
    All the best
    Maggie

    I had it too!
    Irene, I had my first chemo treatment last week, and also had a horrifying 2 night bout with nausea! I had phenegran and Zordat (sp?) is it as well, and those did nothing! I thought I was going to die, all I could think of was if this was how it's going to be for the next 11 chemo treatments I have to go through, I'm never going to make it....

    But the home health nurse came on Friday to unhook me from the pack (I had it last Wednesday) and by that night I started to drink alittle more, and then the next day, I was able to feel abit better, like Buzzard said, it took me those 4 days to get back to feeling ok, I still feel alittle lightheaded, and weird I guess you could say, but I can't even sleep well now, and I feel like I have to go to the bathroom every hour! it's so annoying.

    I did just call my doctor though and left a message saying I would like a better anti-nausea medicine for next time, and also asked for some sleeping aid.

    I hope the next time is better, I'm also afraid of it getting worse over time...my second chemo appt is next Wednesday, and I'm really scared of it, I just dread that nausea..

    Hugggs to you!
    ~Donna
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465
    nausea
    Make sure you tell your Dr this. There are alot of different meds out there. I used to keep a small piece of spearment gum in my mouth. Also how about lemon drops and lemonade. I've heard that having a massage sometimes helps with the pain and nausea of chemo. I'm sorry that you're having this side effect, because I know that it's miserable.
  • irene77
    irene77 Member Posts: 28
    Buzzard said:

    nausea......
    Hydration and Emend...the best nausea med around I think..Its a 3 pack dosage 1 each day before treatment...I don't eat or drink either for 4 days but hydration gets it out of your system faster other than that its just a nasty ride we have to take to NED...Hang in there , Im on my 11th of 12 a week from Monday.....Try Sunkist Orange Drink...its the only thing now I can drink that I can actually keep down......God Bless ya.....

    nausea problem
    Thanks for the feed back, is hydration and emend a prescription drug or over the counter?
    trying to eat small amounts and drink lots of water, now having cold chiles will see the Doctor tomarrow will let him know all my symtems.
    Irene
  • irene77
    irene77 Member Posts: 28
    Shayenne said:

    I had it too!
    Irene, I had my first chemo treatment last week, and also had a horrifying 2 night bout with nausea! I had phenegran and Zordat (sp?) is it as well, and those did nothing! I thought I was going to die, all I could think of was if this was how it's going to be for the next 11 chemo treatments I have to go through, I'm never going to make it....

    But the home health nurse came on Friday to unhook me from the pack (I had it last Wednesday) and by that night I started to drink alittle more, and then the next day, I was able to feel abit better, like Buzzard said, it took me those 4 days to get back to feeling ok, I still feel alittle lightheaded, and weird I guess you could say, but I can't even sleep well now, and I feel like I have to go to the bathroom every hour! it's so annoying.

    I did just call my doctor though and left a message saying I would like a better anti-nausea medicine for next time, and also asked for some sleeping aid.

    I hope the next time is better, I'm also afraid of it getting worse over time...my second chemo appt is next Wednesday, and I'm really scared of it, I just dread that nausea..

    Hugggs to you!
    ~Donna

    Thanks for Nausea feed back
    Thanks everyone will try all your suggestions. Donna sounds like we are almost in the same place of chemo treatment, however I have been able to sleep well, especially after taking the anti nausea medicine before going to bed. My problem is remembering that the fanny pack is hooked to me when I suddenly have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I hooked it on my bed-post before going to sleep. One time the tube was pinched and the beeper went off. Taking a shower is another story. I am sooo tired all the time.
    God bless all of you, Irene
  • Mike49
    Mike49 Member Posts: 261
    Sprouted Wheat Toast
    I agree with all the advice you have been given, my nausea was the worst the first time. I don't much like Zofran because I get a weird headache. I did find some relief from sprouted wheat toast, Ezekial Bread sometimes I didn't even toast it. I also found broth like soups overcame the taste in my mouth.

    I hope your fight improves, its not easy, every time somebody tells me how I look like I am doing well with my treatment, I think, you should feel it from this side. We'll make it together, Hope tomorrow is better than today.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    irene77 said:

    Thanks for Nausea feed back
    Thanks everyone will try all your suggestions. Donna sounds like we are almost in the same place of chemo treatment, however I have been able to sleep well, especially after taking the anti nausea medicine before going to bed. My problem is remembering that the fanny pack is hooked to me when I suddenly have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I hooked it on my bed-post before going to sleep. One time the tube was pinched and the beeper went off. Taking a shower is another story. I am sooo tired all the time.
    God bless all of you, Irene

    Another thing that helps
    Along with the nausea drugs (I took Kytril - it helped) my nurses suggested sucking on cold cantaloupe. It has a natural emend in it. It also helps with the lip sores. I know it helped me, and kept something in my tummy without having to eat a lot.

    I also used to forget my fanny pack in the night. I never set off the beeper, but did drop it a time or two!

    Good luck. Vicki
  • Mike49 said:

    Sprouted Wheat Toast
    I agree with all the advice you have been given, my nausea was the worst the first time. I don't much like Zofran because I get a weird headache. I did find some relief from sprouted wheat toast, Ezekial Bread sometimes I didn't even toast it. I also found broth like soups overcame the taste in my mouth.

    I hope your fight improves, its not easy, every time somebody tells me how I look like I am doing well with my treatment, I think, you should feel it from this side. We'll make it together, Hope tomorrow is better than today.

    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 520 Member
    Nausea during chemo
    Hi: I guess I am now a vetran of these boards - I started treatment in March of 2007 and am currently ned - stage 3A.

    I had a very hard time with nausea during folfox. They started me with zolfran, compazine and attivan. By my second treatment I was on Emend for 3 days along with steroids for three days - I used zolfran, compazine and attivan to back up the emend. I was usually somewhat nauseous for 7 or 8 days - but it was under control so long as I stayed ahead of it with the meds. The crash from the steriods on day 4 was an issue but defintely better than the nausea.

    Once I was off the oxali. the nausea was better and I went to just zolfran, compazine and attivan - pretty much as needed.

    I had to push my oncologist about the anit nausea meds - I would suggest anyone with nausea problems do that.

    I ate what I could during treatment. I could most easily eat bland food - carbohydrates were easier than most everything else. Applesause, soup, cake and believe it or not, pizza margherita, went down fairly well. I drank tons of water and watered down gatorade and mineral water. I also used ensure from time to time.

    Good luck, my nutritionist and oncologist - told me to eat what I could and not to worry about too much else.

    Bottom line - do what works for you - it is a very finite period of time (treatment). Good news the nausea started with the first treatment and never really got worse. I just learned how to manage it.

    Pam
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    Nausea comment
    I stand by the old ancient herbal remedy. MaryJane (pot). It works wonders with fighting nausea and enhancing appetite. I know that it is illegal in most states and even in states where it IS legal, the DEA will not allow people to use this herbal remedy. I've tried Kytral, Emend, Zofran (but none of them stay lit: ha-ha) Seriously, it does work but it is illegal. I am a little surprised no one else mentioned it before me.
    ~phil
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    PhillieG said:

    Nausea comment
    I stand by the old ancient herbal remedy. MaryJane (pot). It works wonders with fighting nausea and enhancing appetite. I know that it is illegal in most states and even in states where it IS legal, the DEA will not allow people to use this herbal remedy. I've tried Kytral, Emend, Zofran (but none of them stay lit: ha-ha) Seriously, it does work but it is illegal. I am a little surprised no one else mentioned it before me.
    ~phil

    I heard..
    A couple of friends I have suggested the same exact thing, pot does cure the nausea, it's too bad they don't prescribe it here, but it's good if you know where to get it from :)
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    Shayenne said:

    I heard..
    A couple of friends I have suggested the same exact thing, pot does cure the nausea, it's too bad they don't prescribe it here, but it's good if you know where to get it from :)

    It's True
    It's not like we are not going through ENOUGH bad stuff that they have to make what can help us, HIV patients and numerous others illegal. Hmmm, I wonder if the drug companies have anything to do with this??? A cheap remedy that is better than any pill that is virtually free if you harvest your own. Nah, they wouldn't do that and out govt wouldn't allow it either
    (yeah, right)

    *Of course I do not condone the use of any illegal substance nor do I use it, it's a friend of a friend of a friend...
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917
    PhillieG said:

    It's True
    It's not like we are not going through ENOUGH bad stuff that they have to make what can help us, HIV patients and numerous others illegal. Hmmm, I wonder if the drug companies have anything to do with this??? A cheap remedy that is better than any pill that is virtually free if you harvest your own. Nah, they wouldn't do that and out govt wouldn't allow it either
    (yeah, right)

    *Of course I do not condone the use of any illegal substance nor do I use it, it's a friend of a friend of a friend...

    :)
    way to cover your ****! I know you mentioned this on an earlier post, and I said I certainly considered it cause I had used it back in my younger wilder days and it ALWAYS worked when I came down with the flu. However, not living in CA anymore, and being in my middle to end 40s, finding such stuff without the possibility of getting sent to jail would be quite a feat for me! Although, when I first went on chemo, I had 2 people I knew come up to me and tell me they could get me some if I wanted some! I suppose if I really was interested, I could have gotten my hands on some, but being on the right side of the law now, I would be more afraid of getting caught (although I can see the argument in court... sir, I am a law abiding citizen, but I found myself vomiting uncontrollably from chemo with no relief from the medications my oncologist was suggesting. I found this joint on my doorstep one day and in desperation decided to try it. It not only managed the nausea but I was able to eat again for the first time in 2 weeks...) I would have to be sure I shaved my head before the appearance and went without makeup, for sure! More pity that way! Anyhow, Emend did the job so I never wound up having to take my friends up on the offer!
    mary
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    msccolon said:

    :)
    way to cover your ****! I know you mentioned this on an earlier post, and I said I certainly considered it cause I had used it back in my younger wilder days and it ALWAYS worked when I came down with the flu. However, not living in CA anymore, and being in my middle to end 40s, finding such stuff without the possibility of getting sent to jail would be quite a feat for me! Although, when I first went on chemo, I had 2 people I knew come up to me and tell me they could get me some if I wanted some! I suppose if I really was interested, I could have gotten my hands on some, but being on the right side of the law now, I would be more afraid of getting caught (although I can see the argument in court... sir, I am a law abiding citizen, but I found myself vomiting uncontrollably from chemo with no relief from the medications my oncologist was suggesting. I found this joint on my doorstep one day and in desperation decided to try it. It not only managed the nausea but I was able to eat again for the first time in 2 weeks...) I would have to be sure I shaved my head before the appearance and went without makeup, for sure! More pity that way! Anyhow, Emend did the job so I never wound up having to take my friends up on the offer!
    mary

    ;-)
    I realize there are different schools of thought on this. There's a great song by John Mayall called "The Laws Must Change" and they mention pot. I would not be thrilled to have to face "the man" especially for something as silly (IMO) as this. Hey, whatever floats your boat. I wonder if it were legal how many people living with cancer and undergoing treatment would try it. I would think many would.

    Anyway, this is not helping the originator of this post I'm sure. There are many ways to deal with this it seems but whatever works for you is the way to go. I wish you the best of luck in dealing with this horrible side effect of treatment.
    ~p
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876
    Buzzard is right!!
    He got it absolutely right. Hydration and Emend. Zofran did NOTHING for my nausea, and neither did the 3 others, but Emend certainly brought it down to almost nothing. Because I was feeling so bad, I didn't make myself drink enough water, so that made me feel worse and I had to be hydrated at the doctor's office. My blood pressure was down to something like 72/50. So drink a lot of water and get Emend. Also, don't ignore your nutrition. If you can't eat, try the supplemental drinks, althought they can be pretty yucky at room temperature. Do what you have to do to get through this in the best shape possible.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Kirsten
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487
    PhillieG said:

    ;-)
    I realize there are different schools of thought on this. There's a great song by John Mayall called "The Laws Must Change" and they mention pot. I would not be thrilled to have to face "the man" especially for something as silly (IMO) as this. Hey, whatever floats your boat. I wonder if it were legal how many people living with cancer and undergoing treatment would try it. I would think many would.

    Anyway, this is not helping the originator of this post I'm sure. There are many ways to deal with this it seems but whatever works for you is the way to go. I wish you the best of luck in dealing with this horrible side effect of treatment.
    ~p

    I haven't had to, but...
    I was afraid to mention this because of how controversial it really is, however...I always hated the way it made me feel (I never inhaled tho) ... I have had a few friends offer it to me now that I was diagnosed, and well, it works, and is less expensive than some of the precription drugs...'nuf said.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    kmygil said:

    Buzzard is right!!
    He got it absolutely right. Hydration and Emend. Zofran did NOTHING for my nausea, and neither did the 3 others, but Emend certainly brought it down to almost nothing. Because I was feeling so bad, I didn't make myself drink enough water, so that made me feel worse and I had to be hydrated at the doctor's office. My blood pressure was down to something like 72/50. So drink a lot of water and get Emend. Also, don't ignore your nutrition. If you can't eat, try the supplemental drinks, althought they can be pretty yucky at room temperature. Do what you have to do to get through this in the best shape possible.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Kirsten

    Thank you KMYGIL.......
    that will be $2.95 payable in cash check or debit card.................hehe....