Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

Robert Schimmell...

Shayenne
Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone seen this comedians show on Showtime? he may be kind of lewd and raunchy (I do have a warped sense of humor) but this guy has had colon cancer for 8 years, and his prognosis was like 2 years.. he performs onstage and even has the crowd laughing at what he's been through, he had me cracking up, he wasn't trying to make fun of the dx, but to him, laughter is the best cure for cancer, and it must be, since he's had it for awhile, and still going strong.. it's even people like him that give me hope, and who want to share their stories by making the crowds laugh. Trying catching his show if you have Showtime, it is also on Showtime on Demand.

Comments

  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,036
    Sounds interesting
    We don't get Showtime, but I'll have to try to find out more about him. He sounds interesting.

    *hugs*
    Gail
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917
    I'll be surfing the web
    to find any info! I don't have Showtime either. I think comedy is a GREAT way to get the word out! Someone in his audience is going to be enlightened, somebody is going to be saved!
    mary
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Hmmm... where did you hear
    Hmmm... where did you hear he had colon cancer? I googled him but the sites I found said he had been diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Not that I'm saying colon cancer is worse... but the book he's written is because of his experience with the Lymphoma cancer.

    His book would probably be interesting... it's called "Cancer for $5/day", which is a funny title in itself ;)
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

    Hmmm... where did you hear
    Hmmm... where did you hear he had colon cancer? I googled him but the sites I found said he had been diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Not that I'm saying colon cancer is worse... but the book he's written is because of his experience with the Lymphoma cancer.

    His book would probably be interesting... it's called "Cancer for $5/day", which is a funny title in itself ;)

    I could swear...
    He says something about colon cancer in his show, my brother called me to tell me to watch it, because he had what I had, and that he was laughing so hard with him he was in tears, so I did watch him, and still found him to be an inspiration, but now I have to rewatch it again to see if he actually said colon..we could swear he mentions it.

    And, yes, his book sounds even interesting.. "Cancer on 5 bucks a day" I may have to pick that up!

    ~Donna
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Shayenne said:

    I could swear...
    He says something about colon cancer in his show, my brother called me to tell me to watch it, because he had what I had, and that he was laughing so hard with him he was in tears, so I did watch him, and still found him to be an inspiration, but now I have to rewatch it again to see if he actually said colon..we could swear he mentions it.

    And, yes, his book sounds even interesting.. "Cancer on 5 bucks a day" I may have to pick that up!

    ~Donna

    youtube
    Didn't find the one about the colon ca but found some of Schimmells skits on
    youtube.com if anyone is interested. He reminds me a little of George Carlin,
    a little raunchy!
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797

    Hmmm... where did you hear
    Hmmm... where did you hear he had colon cancer? I googled him but the sites I found said he had been diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Not that I'm saying colon cancer is worse... but the book he's written is because of his experience with the Lymphoma cancer.

    His book would probably be interesting... it's called "Cancer for $5/day", which is a funny title in itself ;)

    book
    My local library doesn't carry his book but I did put it on order for them to get from a neighboring library. I'll let everyone know what I think when I get it. Thanks for the heads up....I'm always looking for fun/funny books!

    Kimby
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    kimby said:

    book
    My local library doesn't carry his book but I did put it on order for them to get from a neighboring library. I'll let everyone know what I think when I get it. Thanks for the heads up....I'm always looking for fun/funny books!

    Kimby

    His DVD
    His DVD of that show I just watched is also here.. check out the little video sample of it on that page, he will joke about going in for his first chemo treatment, and had to sit next to a guy who wouldn't laugh, and who was just angry at the world...it'll show you what happens here:

    Copy and paste this link to your browser, and click the arrow on the video of him you to play the video...

    http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Schimmel-Life-Since-Then/dp/B001J66JZ4/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Shayenne said:

    His DVD
    His DVD of that show I just watched is also here.. check out the little video sample of it on that page, he will joke about going in for his first chemo treatment, and had to sit next to a guy who wouldn't laugh, and who was just angry at the world...it'll show you what happens here:

    Copy and paste this link to your browser, and click the arrow on the video of him you to play the video...

    http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Schimmel-Life-Since-Then/dp/B001J66JZ4/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

    DVD
    .....cool, wish I could hear the whole skit.....but don't have Showtime. Thanks.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917
    Shayenne said:

    His DVD
    His DVD of that show I just watched is also here.. check out the little video sample of it on that page, he will joke about going in for his first chemo treatment, and had to sit next to a guy who wouldn't laugh, and who was just angry at the world...it'll show you what happens here:

    Copy and paste this link to your browser, and click the arrow on the video of him you to play the video...

    http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Schimmel-Life-Since-Then/dp/B001J66JZ4/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

    FUNNY!
    "...that lady wouldn't be sexy with 3 (breasts)..." too funny! And I LOVE the way he was able to turn around the attitude of that guy who was just angry at the world! Laughter really is the best medicine!
    mary
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    msccolon said:

    FUNNY!
    "...that lady wouldn't be sexy with 3 (breasts)..." too funny! And I LOVE the way he was able to turn around the attitude of that guy who was just angry at the world! Laughter really is the best medicine!
    mary

    Everything that he joked about was true!
    Robert lost a son to cancer when he was only 11, and then 3 years after being diagnosed with his cancer, his wife gave birth to a boy! exactly 3 years after his diagnosis! at the then of the show (you can even buy his dvd) he shows all these pics of exactly who and what he was talking about, being on the roller coaster, how sick he was, how he lost so much weight, yet after 8 days after the sickly looking pic of him was taken, he went to Las Vegas! lol.. he does remind me of George Carlin, but man, when he brings cancer into it, it actually provided me some laughs as well! lol.. if you have cable, just order showtime for a day, then watch it on demand, it's on the list, and then call them and tell them you don't want it anymore, you just wanted to watch Schimmells show lol...