Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

Am I whining, or is this normal?

VickiCO
VickiCO Member Posts: 917
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I do see both doctors today, so I will get answers. But I am so weary of all this right now. I was hoping that only being on 5FU (and radiation) I wouldn't have severe side effects. Well, this weekend the bleeding started. Not only from the rectum - I halfway expected that - but nosebleeds as well. It just about wipes me out. And now my temp is climbing. It was up to 101.9 before I got it headed back down. I don't have a cold, or any illness I can detect. I lost my appetite, and I can't seem to even get dressed. This is hard for a normally very active person.

I can take it - am I whining?

Vicki

Comments

  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028
    Yes and no....
    Yes, it's normal, and no, you are NOT!!!!! whinning!!!

    I had nosebleeds galore. No 'real' fever, but it did elevate a bit...I was just one of those 'lucky' gals that are sensitive to everything that happens to my body....including every side effect in the book from chemotherapy. I always marveled at the posts about 'I went to my infusion, then went back to work...no big deal'. I went home and went to bed.

    If you should get a sore on your face, treat it fast and well...ask your doctor, or a dermatologist...I got one, didn't ask, and now, if you know where to look on my nose, I have a little permanent 'reminder' of the beast...

    Nosebleeds I handled the traditional way...mouth sores, another gift possible (although more from the platins than from 5FU), needs non-alcohol mouth wash, or a 'special' mouthwash from your oncologist if it worsens. Also, brush teeth with a soft brush and lukewarm water...

    Hugs to my brave warrior!

    Hugs, Kathi

    P.S. During this time, I also perfected the great art of napping...SUCH a WONDERFUL thing!!! Don't be afraid to use this tool...your body is weary from the fight!!!
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Side Effects
    Nope, you are not just whining.......I have had a couple of mouth sores that made it hard
    for me to eat or talk; tried the magic mouthwash from my onc. but did not think that did much
    good; I started using a a teaspoon of salt in water and used it as a rinse and I also found
    an oncology mouthwash among the other mouthwashes in the drugstore that does better. The chemo
    seems to irritate all tender outlets: mouth and bottom and nose. There is gross stuff from
    my nose and I even am sneezing more for some reason. Had a temp for a while and the dr. has
    started giving me 1000 mg. tylenol before the chemo treatment......does not seem to be anything
    serious...fatigue is worse a few days after treatment, I sleep a lot then and admire those who are able to go to work anyway; my dr. was exclaiming about her patients who work through this; unbelievable......it helps to compare notes.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Thanks
    Hubby also says I am not whining, but I have to depend on him for so much. I have the pump so I get the chemo 24/7, and I can't seem to get away from it! I dream of Dec 29, when they take the pump off! Yes, I have the mouth sores, but as soon as they show, I use the magic mouthwash, coupled with a trick my chemo nurse told me - rinse in 1/2 water, 1/2 peroxide - don't swallow! LOL! This combo seems to work for me.

    I am just tired of being tired. And the bleeding is scary. With 5FU, they told me the side effects are (sometimes) minimal. Guess I am just a sensitive person. I, too, marvel at those who work through this. I am a publisher and run my business from home, so I don't have to work if I don't want to - and I don't want to! My employees are doing a bang-up job getting the magazines out on time and in good shape. I want to save all my energy to fight Fred.

    Thanks for being there.
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731
    VickiCO said:

    Thanks
    Hubby also says I am not whining, but I have to depend on him for so much. I have the pump so I get the chemo 24/7, and I can't seem to get away from it! I dream of Dec 29, when they take the pump off! Yes, I have the mouth sores, but as soon as they show, I use the magic mouthwash, coupled with a trick my chemo nurse told me - rinse in 1/2 water, 1/2 peroxide - don't swallow! LOL! This combo seems to work for me.

    I am just tired of being tired. And the bleeding is scary. With 5FU, they told me the side effects are (sometimes) minimal. Guess I am just a sensitive person. I, too, marvel at those who work through this. I am a publisher and run my business from home, so I don't have to work if I don't want to - and I don't want to! My employees are doing a bang-up job getting the magazines out on time and in good shape. I want to save all my energy to fight Fred.

    Thanks for being there.

    off the subject
    Vicki,
    I know this is off the subject, but from reading your last post, I was interested in what kind of magazine do you publish? I think its interesting finding out what others do for a living. Maybe we should start a seperate post, kind of like where are you from, it could be what do you do for a living? LOL

    Anyway, was just curious.

    Thanks
    Beth
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    dorookie said:

    off the subject
    Vicki,
    I know this is off the subject, but from reading your last post, I was interested in what kind of magazine do you publish? I think its interesting finding out what others do for a living. Maybe we should start a seperate post, kind of like where are you from, it could be what do you do for a living? LOL

    Anyway, was just curious.

    Thanks
    Beth

    Quilting Magazines
    Beth, I publish two magazines for the machine quilting industry - Unlimited Possibilities for professional longarm quilters, and Machine Quilting Unlimited for the home machine quilter. It is great fun! You can see then on my websites, www.upquiltmag.com or www.mqumag.com. Next summer, if the beast can be tamed, we are launching an Art Quilt magazine. That is my passion...

    What does everyone else do?? Vicki
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    VickiCO said:

    Quilting Magazines
    Beth, I publish two magazines for the machine quilting industry - Unlimited Possibilities for professional longarm quilters, and Machine Quilting Unlimited for the home machine quilter. It is great fun! You can see then on my websites, www.upquiltmag.com or www.mqumag.com. Next summer, if the beast can be tamed, we are launching an Art Quilt magazine. That is my passion...

    What does everyone else do?? Vicki

    Definitely not whining
    No you are not whining. Chemo and radiation can take it's toll on you. Remember to rest. It is OK to do whenever you feel like it. This will pass.

    Lance
  • Mary5777
    Mary5777 Member Posts: 18
    Whining
    I was whining myself this weekend and i actually didn't have chemo last week. I am on every 2 weeks with 5Fu and avastin now. And then on to Avastin every 2 weeks if my Pet scan is ok. So we all whine. But we are tough too. Keep smiling and think of those good days.
  • Mike49
    Mike49 Member Posts: 261
    Mary5777 said:

    Whining
    I was whining myself this weekend and i actually didn't have chemo last week. I am on every 2 weeks with 5Fu and avastin now. And then on to Avastin every 2 weeks if my Pet scan is ok. So we all whine. But we are tough too. Keep smiling and think of those good days.

    Not a whiner just
    I hit a low spot weekend before last, but bounced back. Its a fight, and your gonna do well. Don't feel bad that you sometimes feel bad. I use to say in Alaska at 30 below that this kind of weather lets you know your alive. I think in a way so do our low spots, we are human after all, but we bounce back as you probably have already just by hearing from all of us.

    I think your sounding pretty normal to me.