Saw my doctor

tootsie1
tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Just wanted to let y'all know that I saw my family doctor today. He feels comfortable about my chest pains I had on Monday not being related to a heart attack. Since I've had continuing pain since my colon resection, he believes it is spasms in the lower intestine. That in turn can cause esophogeal spasms that mimic heart attack pain. So I feel better about that, although I wish the pain would go away.

*hugs*
Gail

Comments

  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625
    glad
    Hi Gail,

    I'm glad to hear it! But, on the cautious side... if you haven't already, I'd still ask for an EKG to be done. Better to be safe than sorry!

    Hope you continue to feel better-
    Lisa
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    I can relate
    Gail,

    Before I was DX'd with cc, I had severe chest pains, trip to the emergency, suspected heart attack - the whole 9 yards. I was hospitalized and they did every heart test known and told me that my heart was fine, but I had acid reflux - the esophageal thing. Go home. They did no other tests, because they weren't looking for anything else. I went to the gastroenterologist and he felt I had non-acid reflux - a little different, but still as painful. I also have 'nutcracker disease' which is a problem with how my esophagus contracts. But he also kept asking more questions. All this time, I really had colon cancer...and we all now feel that my body was screaming for someone to find it. This guy was very, very thorough and he did. I will always be grateful that he was the one who listened to EVERYTHING I had to say, not just the one thing I came in for. As my oncology nurse is constantly telling me "What happens in your mouth (I now have the pesky mouth sores), happens all the way through. It's all connected."

    PS. I tried all the reflux drugs and the only one that helps me is Protonix. Really knocked the pain away.

    Vicki
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028
    I'm breathing again!!!
    Aw, Gail...you have been so much in my thoughts...

    What GREAT news!!! As far as the heart...not that you still have the pain...lol

    Have you thought about seeing an accupuncturist? They do WONDERS for pain management. Ask your oncologist for a referral, just to keep him in the loop...

    How is hubby? Is there someone to managed Dad's estate? It CAN be a mess...I was handling my ex-hubby's and my daughter's at the same time (they died 3 weeks apart). If there IS someone else, don't let hubby play strong guy. YOU need him as well. You were wonderful about letting him go, but remind him that you still need him very, very much!!!!!

    Hugs, Kathi
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917
    glad your heart seems to be ok
    But I agree, have an EKG to be sure and keep after it. Seems to me you should be able to do SOMETHING to manage the pain, especially since it's so persistent! Your gastro should be able to do an endo, huh?
    mary
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    KathiM said:

    I'm breathing again!!!
    Aw, Gail...you have been so much in my thoughts...

    What GREAT news!!! As far as the heart...not that you still have the pain...lol

    Have you thought about seeing an accupuncturist? They do WONDERS for pain management. Ask your oncologist for a referral, just to keep him in the loop...

    How is hubby? Is there someone to managed Dad's estate? It CAN be a mess...I was handling my ex-hubby's and my daughter's at the same time (they died 3 weeks apart). If there IS someone else, don't let hubby play strong guy. YOU need him as well. You were wonderful about letting him go, but remind him that you still need him very, very much!!!!!

    Hugs, Kathi

    Kathi,
    Thanks so much for

    Kathi,

    Thanks so much for your kind thoughts. My sister in-law is the main one handling the estate, as she lives in the area where my in-laws lived. The sad part is that my mother in-law died a year ago in October, so she's just starting to wade out of some of that paperwork, and now there's more. Plus, now we have to divide up the stuff and get things (and the house!) ready to be sold eventually. I'm sure you know how that is. So we'll be (especially my husband) involved to a point, but the day to day management will fall to the sister in-law.

    *hugs*
    Gail
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    msccolon said:

    glad your heart seems to be ok
    But I agree, have an EKG to be sure and keep after it. Seems to me you should be able to do SOMETHING to manage the pain, especially since it's so persistent! Your gastro should be able to do an endo, huh?
    mary

    I've had a recent endoscopy,
    I've had a recent endoscopy, and they did an EKG in the emergency room. Plus, I have an appointment in January with a university-based gastroenterologist. So we'll see what happens then.

    *hugs*
    Gail
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028
    tootsie1 said:

    Kathi,
    Thanks so much for

    Kathi,

    Thanks so much for your kind thoughts. My sister in-law is the main one handling the estate, as she lives in the area where my in-laws lived. The sad part is that my mother in-law died a year ago in October, so she's just starting to wade out of some of that paperwork, and now there's more. Plus, now we have to divide up the stuff and get things (and the house!) ready to be sold eventually. I'm sure you know how that is. So we'll be (especially my husband) involved to a point, but the day to day management will fall to the sister in-law.

    *hugs*
    Gail

    THAT's a relief!
    I'm sad for both your hubby and sister-in-law. Yes, I know about that stuff. No other direct heirs for either of mine, but my ex's brother-in-law joined the fray. We had been divorced for over 15 years when he died, but because our daughter is the only heir, and she is DD, well, the responsibility fell to me...sigh...

    My dad passed 20 years ago, and my mom is a frail 85. Her spunk is still there, but, the body is delicate. So, I will be following your hubby's path soon enough....

    Hugs, kathi