urologist or urologic oncologist?

laujean Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Kidney Cancer #1
A friend has been dxd w/ renal cancer; the tumor seems to be contained in one kidney, which will need to be removed shortly. She was referred to a local urologist who can do the surgery, but it has not yet been scheduled. Apparently she would then be referred to an oncologist for follow-up. However, at other hospitals in this state, including dedicated cancer centers, there are urologic oncologists, which the local doc here is not (though he did a fellowship in it during med school). Can someone tell me which type of doc is preferable, with this diagnosis? Thanks.


  • Dear laujean,

    The easiest way to locate other members with similar experiences is to type keywords (such as "kidney cancer," "renal cancer," "urologic oncologist," etc.) on the search bar at the top of the home page. You can refine your search by clicking on the different categories of content listed below the list of keyword matches that you get from your search. The major categories of content on CSN are discussion boards, personal web pages, etc. For example, if you are looking for a personal web page, you can limit your search to personal web pages only by clicking on the "personal web pages" category. Remember that you must be logged in if you want to post anything on a discussion boards, view personal web pages, use the chat room, etc.

    Your CSN Staff