CSN Login
Members Online: 5

You are here

Stage 1a - Large B cell

Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 2006

In July of 2006 I noticed a lump under my chin. I thought it was a swollen gland, but I went to my Dr after waiting a few days. He said it was really big. He sent me to as Neck surgeon who aspirated the lump. The lump biopsy came back positive for A Typical cells. He recommended to remove the lump. The time from noticing the lump to removing it was 6 weeks. The lump came back positive for NHL. I was diagnosed with non-bulky Large B Cell. WOW! I then went through a week of tests on my blood (LDH was normal), had a bone marrow sample from my pelvis (clean), and had a PET scan (highlighted that the cancer was just in my neck). So, since I had no other swollen lmpyh nodes, no night sweats, no loss weight, I was staged as 1a. My 1st Oncologist said I should do 3 doses of CHOP-R 21 and 3 weeks of radiation. I went to get a 2nd opinion in Boston, and they confirmed my diagnosis. Boston recommended 4 doses Chop R and to do 20 radiation treatments. I have had two chemo sessions and feel really good. I have an illness but I do not feel sick. Amazing...I take the drug called Zofran for a few days and have no nausea and still have alot of energy. I get my blood checked every week and they look at my Neut counts to ensure that I can fight off an infection. I pray for those folks who are stricken with this disease and other forms of cancer. It is life altering as I am a 44 yr old father of 2 high school kids. My wife has been my rock and love of my life. Stay positive and enjoy each and every day...Peace B

Kanort's picture
Posts: 1275
Joined: Jan 2004


Thank you so much for sharing your story. It will be uplifting and reassuring to those that are just beginning their fight. The new anti-nausea medications really work wonders, and I'm glad you are sailing through your treatments and feeling so strong.

I am a three year colon cancer survivor and I think your positive attitude plays an important part in your healing process. Stay strong and continue to share your story with others.

Take care,


nhl2002's picture
Posts: 8
Joined: Mar 2004

I too was treated with CHOP-R and the 20 session radiation for NHL. I’ve been in remission for 4 years this month. I also did not get physically sick from the treatments. However, the fatigue was cumulative, but I only lost the treatment days at work. Watch the affects of prednisone; I found out it caused some pretty weird mood swings, but once I realized what was happening I was able to control it. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 2006

Thanks for sharing your story. Your positivity will help you make it through. My daughter was diagnosed with large B cell NHL at age 17. She went through a year of chemo and is almost six years since diagnosis. She kept an in-charge attitude through it all....scheduling her chemo around her school activities and work schedule. We celebrate every day and every year. Keep celebrating.

Plymouthean's picture
Posts: 264
Joined: Jan 2004

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm currently in the testing stages, and should have a specific diagnosis in about a week. Your experience truly is inspiring and encouraging to me. I just reached five years survivorship of lung ca, so this came as a complete surprise.

Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 2006

Wow - 2 more months have passed by. My life has been a blur the last 2 months, going back and forth to the hospital, taking tests, waiting for test results, finishing chemo, and finally starting radiation.

My 3rd and 4th chemo's were harder then the 1st two. My white blood cell count always dropped late and I almost missed my theraphy. I had two shots of Neulasta ($10,000 for each one) after my 2nd and 3rd chemos and this positioned me to continue my treatments. About 5 days after the 1st neulasta shot I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I was having a heart attack. I coughed and I felt like a forktruck was on my body. As I walked to the bathroom it felt like my legs would fall out of their sockets. I took 3 tylenols and I felt better about 12 -15 hours later. After the 2nd shot I took tylenol the night before the 5th day and the side affects were manageable.

I had a PET/CT scan before christmas ($20,000) and it was interesting. I received my radio-active injection, then I drank two 20oz orange flavoured contrasts (yuck), and then they gave me a CT scan. After they hooked some injection tubes into my IV and injected me with some hot liquid and then they scanned me again. My results came back and they called me cancer free 100%. It is hard to write it, let alone say it. I am in remission and thank god and my family and friends and you folks for your prayers. I continue to pray for all of you who are inflicted or dealing with a person who is going through cancer treatments.

For my radiation treatments, I needed to have a special plastic chicken wire mask made which was form fitted to my face. Boy that was a fun appt! I am currently through 15 of 20 treatments and feeling really good. My radiation field is from my left ear, to my chin, through my voice box, and down to my left shoulder clavical bone. While the skin is red, it really does not hurt. I put Auqaphor cream on it daily. When I receive my treatments, the radialogist litterally bolts my head to the table via the mask and locks my shoulders as well. When I am finished after each treatment my forehead looks like a honey comb farm =:O).
Fortunately my throat has not gotten sore. My last full field treatments are on Mon & Tues. and then the final three scans are smaller and directed on the site of my former tumor.
I will now see my oncologist doctor every 3 months and will receive a CT scan during these appts. I will also receive a full body PET / CT scan every 6 months. One interesting note is that the dr. noticed on my lungs two small nodes which did not take any sugar. So they were deemed non cancerous nodes. They are very small and the dr states that this is normal but they will continue to watch them. My neighbor who had thyroid cancer had mentioned to me months ago that she too had suspicious dark nodes on her scan for the last 10 years and there has been no change in size for her(under 2 cm). The internet states these are sometimes due to colds or things we inhale. Folks in the southwest sometimes have a disease, but I am from the northeast.

Sorry to go on so long, but I can see and feel the end of the tunnel. A new year has come and I have made it, I have beaten cancer and have officially joined the cancer survivor club. Please be postive on your own personnel experiences and enjoy each and every day - god bless all of you.
Sincerely - BD

Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 2006

Well it has been 3 years next month and I continue to be cancer free. Yeah!! I have had clean scans every 6 months. My energy is good and I am back playing hockey, walking and doing anything I care to do. Given that I had two clean years since my treatment I stop going for checkups quarterly and now go twice a year. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you as you work through your individual ordeals...Peace B

Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 2009

Thanks Dodgie62. It makes me feel good to hear your story as I go through my Cancer treatments (Large B Cell Lymph stage 1b). You truly have made my day today.

Thank you!

Anonymous user (not verified)

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Subscribe to Comments for "Stage 1a - Large B cell"