Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

City of Hope denied us....

marialw777
marialw777 Member Posts: 26
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello everyone,
I am having a hard time trying to get a second opinion. We took Jesper to the onco last Wed and the dr. didn't seem very optimistic... The 3 sessions of chemo did absolutely nothing to the cancer....so he put him on Gleevec... City of Hope denied us... saying there was nothing more they could do for us then what the onco is doing. I am trying to get in at Cedars Sinai.. Can anyone help were we can go to get either different care or second opinion???? I appreciate any help!!!Thank you all...
Maria

Comments

  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965
    Call The Cancer Treatment Centers of America (800-577-1255). I have never called them but definitely have them on my lists if I should ever need it. There are 3 in the country but I am not sure if one of them is better for certain cancers.

    Lisa P.
  • Shandle
    Shandle Member Posts: 204
    Hi Maria, I'm sorry to hear that the chemo tx's failed to help Jesper. I'm proud that you are strong and trying to seek out another opinion. Have you thought about alt. medician & advice from a nutritionist? In the darkest days, we can find answers that will give us hope. We have to hang onto that! Keep posting.. huggggs Wanda
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719
    Hi Maria,

    I am no expert - my second and third opinion were done outside of my my medical group....and out of pocket. Maybe you can speak with your insurance company in terms of the 2nd onionion policies and then you can ask around to find someone with whom you would like to have a discussion. I was lucky enough to have a few friends offer people who were supposed to be excellent. It sort of stirred the pot a bit for me (mentally) - as the bottom line was that the regimens would heve been very similar and the offices for the ofther docs were farther away - not good for me....I am my rimary caregiver and need to have things closeby.

    Anyway, I would start close to home....your medical group and then go out further. Docs have a close allignment and will not be offended by the opther opinions....all involved knew on another!

    I hope this helps a bit. Keep in touch.

    Cheers,
    Maura
  • marialw777
    marialw777 Member Posts: 26
    scouty said:

    Call The Cancer Treatment Centers of America (800-577-1255). I have never called them but definitely have them on my lists if I should ever need it. There are 3 in the country but I am not sure if one of them is better for certain cancers.

    Lisa P.

    Thank you Lisa... I will try that number tomorrow.

    Maria
  • marialw777
    marialw777 Member Posts: 26
    Shandle said:

    Hi Maria, I'm sorry to hear that the chemo tx's failed to help Jesper. I'm proud that you are strong and trying to seek out another opinion. Have you thought about alt. medician & advice from a nutritionist? In the darkest days, we can find answers that will give us hope. We have to hang onto that! Keep posting.. huggggs Wanda

    Hello Wanda

    We have not gone the alt. medicine yet....We are trying to see if the Gleveec will work. My ex has colon cancer as well... he went on the holistic diet and broke out in a bad rash... so he stopped that. I hope this Gleveec is the answer. We are still waiting to hear from Cedar Sinai.
    Thank you,
    Maria
  • marialw777
    marialw777 Member Posts: 26
    CAMaura said:

    Hi Maria,

    I am no expert - my second and third opinion were done outside of my my medical group....and out of pocket. Maybe you can speak with your insurance company in terms of the 2nd onionion policies and then you can ask around to find someone with whom you would like to have a discussion. I was lucky enough to have a few friends offer people who were supposed to be excellent. It sort of stirred the pot a bit for me (mentally) - as the bottom line was that the regimens would heve been very similar and the offices for the ofther docs were farther away - not good for me....I am my rimary caregiver and need to have things closeby.

    Anyway, I would start close to home....your medical group and then go out further. Docs have a close allignment and will not be offended by the opther opinions....all involved knew on another!

    I hope this helps a bit. Keep in touch.

    Cheers,
    Maura

    Hello Maura,

    My brother has only straight Medical...so I will keep my ears open

    Thank you,
    Maria
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719
    Hi Maria,

    One more thing which I forgot to mention. i did have the opportunity to transfer to Stanford Medical Center for a Clinical Trial option. The only hassle would have been the switch through my Insurance company to another medical group; it wasn't my choice - but it would have been possible. If you find a second opinion doc who you like better, check into this option. It could take a month or so for the paperwork.....but if you are happier, it might be worth it!
    Good luck with all of your efforts. I am sure that Jesper appreciates your love and concern very much.

    Cheers and best of luck,
    Maura