CSN Login
Members Online: 4

You are here

How my grandfather lived and died

Posts: 4
Joined: Jan 2004

Hi, I just wanted to tell my experience.

My grandfather died last month on December 23rd of lung and stomach cancer. He was a doctor himself and had diagnosed his own condition in December of 2002. But his dream was to live and die as a doctor and didn't tell us, his family, until the day he checked himself into the hospital. I'm currently living in the U.S. and my family is overseas in Japan. I was at the end of my school semester when I received a call from my mother informing me that my grandfather was in the hospital with the flu but I could tell that there was more to the story than she was telling me. She asked me to come home as soon as school was out. Two days later, my older brother called me and told me to sit myself down and try to stay calm. He said "Grandpa is dying from lung and stomach cancer. I went to go to the hospital today and the nurse said he may only have a week to live. Try and make it home soon." My grandfather had refused to eat from the day he entered the hospital saying that he knew his condition and wanted to choose how long he would live. He didn't want to fight the cancer and live for six more months to a year in pain. I flew home two days later and went straight to the hospital from the airport. Every since I was young, the image of my grandfather was always of him in his white doctors uniform with his stethoscope around his neck, always smiling but never talkative. My grandfather, lying in his hospital bed, was thin, frail, and had difficulty speaking a few words without suffering a coughing fit. But as soon as he saw me, he said "Welcome home" and smiled his characteristic gentle smile.

I only had two weeks to spend with my grandfather before he passed away but those two week were so full of different experiences, emotions, and thoughts that now that I think about it, it seemed more like two months. I visited him every day from morning until lights out and sometimes stayed overnight. His condition fluctuated from good days to horrible days but he never complaigned and seemed at peace with his fate. My family all worked and my grandmother couldn't stand to see him in his condition for an extended length of time so I was usually alone with him. There were many times when I wished I could be somewhere else, not because there was somewhere I wanted to be but because I was scared that during his many coughing fits, he would die suddenly. I knew better but I felt scared that it would be my fault. Sometimes when he had an especially prolonged and painful coughing fit where his entire face turned scarlet and contorted, he would grab his oxygen mask and rip it off saying "I want to die." Those were the moments I didn't know what to say and wished I could be somewhere else or that someone else could be me. I didn't know the right words to say and I felt inadequate and useless. But the moments when he was peaceful and smiling, sometimes joking and laughing quietly, made up for all the bad times. Especially when the entire family was crammed in his little hospital room laughing and joking, I felt at peace and I think my grandfather felt at peace also. The nurses were wonderful and there professionalism was amazing. They say a doctor is the worst patient but my grandfather trusted the nurses completely. There kind words not only helped my grandfather but touched our hearts also.

The day before my grandfather passed away, he lost conciousness but seemed to still be able to hear our voices. The doctor informed us that he probably wasn't going to last past the next day an that we should be ready. My family went home to take care of business and left me in the room to watch my grandfathers condition and to call as soon as it started deteriorating. All throughout the night, his blood oxygen level fluctuated and each time the nurse would come to suction out the phlegm accumulating in his throat. Then in the morning his blood oxygen level dropped suddenly and there was a flurry of doctors and nurses running in and out of the room. I called my family to come as soon as possible. His breathing stopped and his heart rate weakened but he and my family had agreed that no resucitative measure would be taken so the doctor told me to sit next to him and hold his hand while he quietly passed away. My grandmother and brother arrived fifteen minutes later and my parents a few minutes after them.

Sometimes I can't help but feel regret that I hadn't spent more time with him, or that I hadn't said enough to him. I wish I could hear about his life and his childhood through his own voice. I also sometimes wonder if I did enough for him, or if anything I had thought I'd done out of good intentions while he was in the hospital had been a burden to him. But through this experience, I also learned that each member of our family had some strength and weakness and we all administered to our grandfather in the best way possible and relied on others in our weakness. I don't think any one of us could have taken all the burden on our shoulder. There were moments of conflict within the family but we all realized that the circumstance made our emotions feel more acute than usual and all of us were trying to manage the stress, grief, and fear.

But beyond all these thoughts, I believe that he had died with little regret other than wishing he could have lived longer. He was seeing patients as a doctor until the day before he himself became a patient. He never talked much but preferred to sit among his family and smile quietly while listening to us talk, argue, and laugh. While I was caring for my grandfather in the hospital, I was scared that the grandfather I saw before me was the grandfather I would rememeber after he passed away. However I know now that I remember both my healthy and vibrant grandfather as well as my sick but resilient grandfather. Even in his illness, he maintained the character and personality that we all loved. In an instant that I think of everyday since, I remember I had been crying as quietly as I could as I sat next to his bed, thinking he was asleep. Suddenly he opened his eyes, smiled gently and said "Is the roof leaking?" I still miss him so much and cry sometimes thinking about him and thinking about the time spent caring for him in the hospital. But in some ways I think my grandfathers last gift to us was in bringing our family together and strengthening our bond to each other. In all my life, I've only seen my grandfather become angry once, and even then he never raised his voice. He was always a gentle and peaceful man and in my final thought, I hope with all my heart that I could live and die as well as he did.

p.s. sorry this post was so long!

Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 2004

I read your story and i can relate to how you are feeling because i am going through the exact same thing right now. My grandfather was diagnosed with cancer the day after my grandmother passed away two years ago. They told him that he had six to eight months to live. But to everyone's surprise he is still here and still struggling with the cancer. He has gone through radiation, chemo, you name it he has tried it. THe thing that surpises me the most is that he is 85 years old. I thought that he would have said i have lived my life, i am happy and i want to go be with my wife. I think that he is mostly taking the treatments for my family. My mom and my aunt took it pretty hard when my grandmother passed away. I think that he does not want to let them down right now. My mom has taken on the role of a caregiver. He lives in our house with us and she takes care of his every need. I am sure that you know how hard it is to watch someone you love suffer. I was just wondering how your grandfather's cancer affected you? Has your live changed any? Has the relationship with your family changed? How is your grandmother taking everything? If i am asking questions that are to personal, feel free to tell me. I am anaware of how this goes. Do you email me back to my address or do i check this site? In any case my email address is Mel752@hotmail.com I am looking forward to hearing from you. By the way my name is Melissa.

Posts: 4
Joined: Jan 2004

Hi Melissa, I'm sorry I'm so late in replying. It's been a while since I checked this board. I hope your grandfather is doing well and your family is hanging strong. I know how tough the situation is and I think the most important thing to remember is don't let anybody in the family try to take on everything by themselves including yourself. To answer your questions, my grandfather passing away was one of the most perspective altering experiences I've ever encountered. I don't know how to explain it. I didn't become a super human out to save the world or anything but as time passes by, I notice that little things change, the way I view something, the way I act... And most of the time it's not what I had expected when I was sitting in the hospital room watching my grandfather dying. I think I expected some life altering revelation, a moment of complete understanding, who knows? But even though it's not that dramatic, I notice that I do see things differently, maybe a little more clearly. The negative changes are that I'm much more wary of being so far away from my family and not being able to more time with them. I also still have trouble at night trying to fall asleep sometimes. It's the hardest time of day to cope because my mind starts racing with thoughts. My family has been through a litte more turbulence since then, but I think my mother realized that she can lean on us emotionally when things are really stressful for her which is a relief to me. My grandmother is definitely still coping but she's beginning to move on with her life. It seems to help a lot for her to spend time with friends and to be out and about rather than cooped up inside the house. She also says she gets the loneliest at night. But she's a pretty talented artist and her art seems to be an outlet for her. I think I've become more open with my family, and I think I've gained even more respect for the members of my family. I was fortunate to have a professor at my college who had been through a similar experience and talking to her about my own experience made me feel a little lighter inside. It's definetly hard to see someone you love suffering and it's especially hard to deal with the unknown. But I think the best thing a family can do is to be there and to not get so caught up in the situation that everybody forgets to be a family. I hope your grandfather is doing well as well as you and your family. I think it's great that you and your family are there supporting him.

Subscribe to Comments for "How my grandfather lived and died"