alternative therapies??? help

JaneEllen
JaneEllen Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I am interested in hearing from anyone who has success information on alternative therapies to treating lung cancer (specifically small cell). What has been tried, what has worked? Is it all a hoax and money making scheme? there are things on the internet that claim cancer cure with some kind of frequency waves and e-books. Anyone ever tried any of this stuff and is it helpful? Another thing is nutrition. How eager are your doctors to include nutrition into a comprehensive cancer treatment plan? thanks
Jane Ellen

Comments

  • pacisan
    pacisan Member Posts: 18
    Hi....ya know (and I don't mean this in a smart way), but if those alternative methods to healing cancer were successful, do you think they would still be "alternative"...I can't help but believe the old adage that "if it sounds to good to be true....". As far as the doc's and nutrition go, I haven't found one yet that will really work with you or offer suggestions. When I asked my pulmonologist about it he said it made no difference whether or not I ate broccoli..like it was some kind of joke. Needless to say I got another doctor. Anyway, my suggestion would be to find a good nutritionist..
    PS..I am a 2 1/2 year lung cancer survivor..
  • michaelcie
    michaelcie Member Posts: 133
    hi, I am going on two years remission, with small cell lung cancer. I had 4 chemos and radiation. I do take co-Q 10, myself, not by suggestion of oncologist, I asked her what her opinion was and oncologist said if between paying bill and taking it , to pay bill. I would change her , but I am still here and she got me into remission, so I started to take the enzyme myself after researching some. I don't know if it helps but am still in remission and doing ok. Don't know if this has helped or confussed. You do constantly here that nutrition has alot to do with prevention but I don't know if it helps much after you have gotten the disease.While I was in treatment, all of the cancer patients were getting talks by the nutritionist but not me!!! I was mad and walked into her office and asked why I wasn't being talked too? Her reply was , do you see how thin the other patients were? I responded yes, and she asked do you see how you are holding your weight? I said yes, and she said I don't know what you are doing but continue to do it!! I was not eating in any particular way at the time, so I don't know why I have stayed so well, but am very thankful. I feel that any way you can make yourself believe in wellness works and that some things do help. There is alot of research that has to be done in this area. well if this hasn't confussed you or me nothing will!! lmao and hugsss and may will get thru this damn disease!!! mike
  • cbecker
    cbecker Member Posts: 88
    My husband had head and neck cancer that met. to both lungs and it is squamous cell. Look up the CAAT therapy for the nutrition. My husband has gained 10 lbs and I strongley feel that this diet has keep him strong enough to fight this disease. I read so many people loose weight but he has gained and has been strong. email me if you want the web site of this therapy. God bless, Candy
  • JaneEllen
    JaneEllen Member Posts: 6

    hi, I am going on two years remission, with small cell lung cancer. I had 4 chemos and radiation. I do take co-Q 10, myself, not by suggestion of oncologist, I asked her what her opinion was and oncologist said if between paying bill and taking it , to pay bill. I would change her , but I am still here and she got me into remission, so I started to take the enzyme myself after researching some. I don't know if it helps but am still in remission and doing ok. Don't know if this has helped or confussed. You do constantly here that nutrition has alot to do with prevention but I don't know if it helps much after you have gotten the disease.While I was in treatment, all of the cancer patients were getting talks by the nutritionist but not me!!! I was mad and walked into her office and asked why I wasn't being talked too? Her reply was , do you see how thin the other patients were? I responded yes, and she asked do you see how you are holding your weight? I said yes, and she said I don't know what you are doing but continue to do it!! I was not eating in any particular way at the time, so I don't know why I have stayed so well, but am very thankful. I feel that any way you can make yourself believe in wellness works and that some things do help. There is alot of research that has to be done in this area. well if this hasn't confussed you or me nothing will!! lmao and hugsss and may will get thru this damn disease!!! mike

    Mike, If you don't mind sharing, was your small cell lung cancer extensive stage upon diagnosis? What chemo regimes have you useds and how did they work for you? Were there any that you did not tolerate well and had to change? Could I please have more info? Thank you in advance. It is so comforting to be able to interact with others in similar situations.
    Jane Ellen
  • quazter3
    quazter3 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, my name is Tony.I also have S.C.L.C.I have been doing chemo.$ treatments of 3 days on 18-break.It almost went away-had a 2 month break- it all came back.Have been doing Flor Essence tea ,can buy in health food store. Or on line in bulk. It really dose help.Type in the words and read about it,if u like it ,I can tell u where on line to get it.Also no sugar or meat, eggs,chesse ect. they all feed the cancer.I have been using a book called "School Of Natural Healing" By Dr.John Christopher It has lots of things to cleaning up your system,if u really want to know more I'll share what I know, all u can do is keep fighting . Love always.
  • phoenixc
    phoenixc Member Posts: 2
    quazter3 said:

    Hi, my name is Tony.I also have S.C.L.C.I have been doing chemo.$ treatments of 3 days on 18-break.It almost went away-had a 2 month break- it all came back.Have been doing Flor Essence tea ,can buy in health food store. Or on line in bulk. It really dose help.Type in the words and read about it,if u like it ,I can tell u where on line to get it.Also no sugar or meat, eggs,chesse ect. they all feed the cancer.I have been using a book called "School Of Natural Healing" By Dr.John Christopher It has lots of things to cleaning up your system,if u really want to know more I'll share what I know, all u can do is keep fighting . Love always.

    Natural Food/Treatment
    Hi There,

    I took my brother (age 63) to the hospital two days ago and they found a mass lump on his lung about 2.8 inch. He will go back into the hospital for more testing and biopsy tomorrow. I looking for natural food/remedy to help him. What food should he eats to help battle this cancer? What food should be avoid? What natural food or remedy should he be looking at eating or drinking? I heard flaxseed and cottage seed are good but I am not sure. I also heard seaweed (fucoidan) is good for cancer as well.

    Where is a good place to buy natural food (websites if any). I am ready to help my brother out. Greatly appreciate it if someone can give me some advices and directions. I hope this is not the end for my brother because he works all his life and ready to retire next year and now this happened. I am hopeful but I am scared as well since I know the reality of cancer. I lost my mom to lung cancer 8 years ago. I gave up hope in the end when she died. I am so frustrated and sadden over this whole thing. Thank you.
  • jamesmarkchan
    jamesmarkchan Member Posts: 2
    phoenixc said:

    Natural Food/Treatment
    Hi There,

    I took my brother (age 63) to the hospital two days ago and they found a mass lump on his lung about 2.8 inch. He will go back into the hospital for more testing and biopsy tomorrow. I looking for natural food/remedy to help him. What food should he eats to help battle this cancer? What food should be avoid? What natural food or remedy should he be looking at eating or drinking? I heard flaxseed and cottage seed are good but I am not sure. I also heard seaweed (fucoidan) is good for cancer as well.

    Where is a good place to buy natural food (websites if any). I am ready to help my brother out. Greatly appreciate it if someone can give me some advices and directions. I hope this is not the end for my brother because he works all his life and ready to retire next year and now this happened. I am hopeful but I am scared as well since I know the reality of cancer. I lost my mom to lung cancer 8 years ago. I gave up hope in the end when she died. I am so frustrated and sadden over this whole thing. Thank you.

    Natural Cancer Remedies
    I've come across two alternative medicines that look potent and promising. One is Fucoidan and the other is artemisinin. A friend's father has made their lung cancer and thyroid cancer go away using Fucoidan (an extract from brown seaweed). There is extensive research going on for both supplements. just use google and i'll throw in some links below. For Fucoidan there is a company Kamerycah you can call for a free booklet of testimonials and explanation on how it works. I believe Fucoidan was discovered in Okinawa after the realization that they have the lowest cancer rates. It is funny to read that their long life span has been going down after they adapted western agricultural methods.

    K Fucoidan has the most expensive Fucoidan product on the market but it has more testimonials then any other Fucoidan product I've come across.

    http://www.k-fucoidan.com/home-en.htm

    http://www.okicent.org/

    http://www.ofic.jp/English.html

    http://www.nutrivea-usa.com/fucoidan_u_fn.htm

    Now artemisinin is something too interesting to overlook if you're knee deep in cancer.

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081014111309.htm

    http://www.springboard4health.com/notebook/nutrients_artemisinin.html

    http://www.mwt.net/~drbrewer/canart1.htm

    http://www.mwt.net/~drbrewer/canart2.htm

    http://artemisinin101.com/

    Good Luck!
    James
  • jamesmarkchan
    jamesmarkchan Member Posts: 2
    pacisan said:

    Hi....ya know (and I don't mean this in a smart way), but if those alternative methods to healing cancer were successful, do you think they would still be "alternative"...I can't help but believe the old adage that "if it sounds to good to be true....". As far as the doc's and nutrition go, I haven't found one yet that will really work with you or offer suggestions. When I asked my pulmonologist about it he said it made no difference whether or not I ate broccoli..like it was some kind of joke. Needless to say I got another doctor. Anyway, my suggestion would be to find a good nutritionist..
    PS..I am a 2 1/2 year lung cancer survivor..

    These are called bio immune
    These are called bio immune therapies now. Takes time to demonstrate that they work and build up a track record. Surgery, Chemo and Radiation have been around forever. Also if there isn't yet a way for the medical industry to profit from it its adaptation will not be as quick as we'd like. :)
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650

    Natural Cancer Remedies
    I've come across two alternative medicines that look potent and promising. One is Fucoidan and the other is artemisinin. A friend's father has made their lung cancer and thyroid cancer go away using Fucoidan (an extract from brown seaweed). There is extensive research going on for both supplements. just use google and i'll throw in some links below. For Fucoidan there is a company Kamerycah you can call for a free booklet of testimonials and explanation on how it works. I believe Fucoidan was discovered in Okinawa after the realization that they have the lowest cancer rates. It is funny to read that their long life span has been going down after they adapted western agricultural methods.

    K Fucoidan has the most expensive Fucoidan product on the market but it has more testimonials then any other Fucoidan product I've come across.

    http://www.k-fucoidan.com/home-en.htm

    http://www.okicent.org/

    http://www.ofic.jp/English.html

    http://www.nutrivea-usa.com/fucoidan_u_fn.htm

    Now artemisinin is something too interesting to overlook if you're knee deep in cancer.

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081014111309.htm

    http://www.springboard4health.com/notebook/nutrients_artemisinin.html

    http://www.mwt.net/~drbrewer/canart1.htm

    http://www.mwt.net/~drbrewer/canart2.htm

    http://artemisinin101.com/

    Good Luck!
    James

    I'll give you only one link ;)
    Quackwatch
    Testimonials are not scientific proof in any way, shape or form. If the alt herbs are in testing and make it through with an FDA thumbs-up, all well and good. After all, some cancer drugs are developed from plants - taxanes come from the yew, for example. Otherwise, speak to your oncologist about any drug or plant you put into your body. And read up on alt-therapies at Quackwatch.

    P.S. Anyone who advertises a cancer "cure" is suspect, and followed by radio waves and e-books, well, you might as well wrap your head in foil and try contact the alien master race ;)
  • argos1019
    argos1019 Member Posts: 11

    I'll give you only one link ;)
    Quackwatch
    Testimonials are not scientific proof in any way, shape or form. If the alt herbs are in testing and make it through with an FDA thumbs-up, all well and good. After all, some cancer drugs are developed from plants - taxanes come from the yew, for example. Otherwise, speak to your oncologist about any drug or plant you put into your body. And read up on alt-therapies at Quackwatch.

    P.S. Anyone who advertises a cancer "cure" is suspect, and followed by radio waves and e-books, well, you might as well wrap your head in foil and try contact the alien master race ;)

    Anticancer
    There is a book out called Anticancer. http://www.anticancerbook.com/ I have just started reading it. It is endorsed by the head of MDAnderson ( #1 Cancer hospital in the US ). When I was at MDAnderson in July, they were endorsing it. In there, you will find lots of hopeful information about how to affect the terrain of your body to stop promoting the growth of cancer cells. Lots of it has to do with diet and the suggestions are very specific. The author is an MD and PhD.
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650
    argos1019 said:

    Anticancer
    There is a book out called Anticancer. http://www.anticancerbook.com/ I have just started reading it. It is endorsed by the head of MDAnderson ( #1 Cancer hospital in the US ). When I was at MDAnderson in July, they were endorsing it. In there, you will find lots of hopeful information about how to affect the terrain of your body to stop promoting the growth of cancer cells. Lots of it has to do with diet and the suggestions are very specific. The author is an MD and PhD.

    Anticancer
    To each his own. I haven't read the book, and probably never will, but I suggest you clear any real dietary changes with your oncologist. Meanwhile I'll continue eating all the antinutritious stuff I've been eating all through treatment and remission. I do manage to squeeze in some healthy foods here and there ;)

    *I'm not lumping this in with most of the other wild claims you read about - good nutrition is undoubtedly a good thing and so is a healthy immune system. But nobody is coming between me and my sugar habit!
    Do well, be well,
    stayingcalm
  • argos1019
    argos1019 Member Posts: 11

    Anticancer
    To each his own. I haven't read the book, and probably never will, but I suggest you clear any real dietary changes with your oncologist. Meanwhile I'll continue eating all the antinutritious stuff I've been eating all through treatment and remission. I do manage to squeeze in some healthy foods here and there ;)

    *I'm not lumping this in with most of the other wild claims you read about - good nutrition is undoubtedly a good thing and so is a healthy immune system. But nobody is coming between me and my sugar habit!
    Do well, be well,
    stayingcalm

    Sugar
    You might want to seriously look into the book. The number one feeder of cancer tumors he says is sugar. He knows my oncologist. And yes, I did ask. Anyway, at least check out the website. There is a little video on it that sums up his findings. That way you do not have to read his book. :)
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650
    argos1019 said:

    Sugar
    You might want to seriously look into the book. The number one feeder of cancer tumors he says is sugar. He knows my oncologist. And yes, I did ask. Anyway, at least check out the website. There is a little video on it that sums up his findings. That way you do not have to read his book. :)

    :)
    Mara,
    I've read all I need to read, including some abstracts from ASCO. I have not changed my eating habits one whit and I am in remission :)
  • Dapsterd
    Dapsterd Member Posts: 291

    :)
    Mara,
    I've read all I need to read, including some abstracts from ASCO. I have not changed my eating habits one whit and I am in remission :)

    Sugar for Mara
    It is not necessarily the sugar itself perse' it is the insulin producing effects of sugar...It is more complex than just cutting out a spoonful of sugar in your coffee and expecting your lung cancer to go away....there are no quick fixes to this cancer situation and I have read so much and there are equally opposing professional views on "everything" about cancer in general., let alone lung cancer. Stayingcalm has much wisdom here.
    Although I will coninue to eat a balanced diet as suggested, I will not throw all my cards at the "snakeoil" remedies (having said that...I am taking Essiac and I eat Kale quite often!!) but it is only supplementary to the medicinal lung cancer protocal treatment.

    Note, this is only my opinion, which does not mean much in the big picture.

    Ps.... I have a CT tomorrow.....we will see !!!!!!!!!

    Dave
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650
    Dapsterd said:

    Sugar for Mara
    It is not necessarily the sugar itself perse' it is the insulin producing effects of sugar...It is more complex than just cutting out a spoonful of sugar in your coffee and expecting your lung cancer to go away....there are no quick fixes to this cancer situation and I have read so much and there are equally opposing professional views on "everything" about cancer in general., let alone lung cancer. Stayingcalm has much wisdom here.
    Although I will coninue to eat a balanced diet as suggested, I will not throw all my cards at the "snakeoil" remedies (having said that...I am taking Essiac and I eat Kale quite often!!) but it is only supplementary to the medicinal lung cancer protocal treatment.

    Note, this is only my opinion, which does not mean much in the big picture.

    Ps.... I have a CT tomorrow.....we will see !!!!!!!!!

    Dave

    Good luck to you!
    May your CT scan come back clean!
    Deb
  • medi_2
    medi_2 Member Posts: 505
    Dapsterd said:

    Sugar for Mara
    It is not necessarily the sugar itself perse' it is the insulin producing effects of sugar...It is more complex than just cutting out a spoonful of sugar in your coffee and expecting your lung cancer to go away....there are no quick fixes to this cancer situation and I have read so much and there are equally opposing professional views on "everything" about cancer in general., let alone lung cancer. Stayingcalm has much wisdom here.
    Although I will coninue to eat a balanced diet as suggested, I will not throw all my cards at the "snakeoil" remedies (having said that...I am taking Essiac and I eat Kale quite often!!) but it is only supplementary to the medicinal lung cancer protocal treatment.

    Note, this is only my opinion, which does not mean much in the big picture.

    Ps.... I have a CT tomorrow.....we will see !!!!!!!!!

    Dave

    bon chance
    Good Luck on that scan tomorrow Dave. Fingers crossed and breath held.
    Cheers
    Medi
  • Dapsterd
    Dapsterd Member Posts: 291

    Good luck to you!
    May your CT scan come back clean!
    Deb

    Ct prelimin results--lympnodes not reacting
    Thanx much Medi and Stayingcalm, CT looks "pretty" favorable!!

    I still have to review scan and meet with Onc next week, but preliminary indication from a quick peek and summary from CT people, via Onc Rn and Onc indicate a approx. 50% reduction in main right upper lung tumor (Avocado to maybe a large egg), chest lymph nodes are not reacting at this point, but not confirmed to my satisfaction yet. Onc via Onc Rn, says I am where I should be and they think where I am is just wonderful?, 11 weeks chemo left, 35 rads are complete. Onc Rn says I have the best of her 5 peoples scans she reviewed today but this is very broad and more/less conversation as well know we and are own cancer is pretty individual and not all of her scans are lung cancer.

    I hope to understand more in next week mtg with Main Onc and the Rad Onc next week after. I have 5 questions to ask them, do you folks have any questions I am you think I should ask from your experience at this stage of the game?

    Dave
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650
    Dapsterd said:

    Ct prelimin results--lympnodes not reacting
    Thanx much Medi and Stayingcalm, CT looks "pretty" favorable!!

    I still have to review scan and meet with Onc next week, but preliminary indication from a quick peek and summary from CT people, via Onc Rn and Onc indicate a approx. 50% reduction in main right upper lung tumor (Avocado to maybe a large egg), chest lymph nodes are not reacting at this point, but not confirmed to my satisfaction yet. Onc via Onc Rn, says I am where I should be and they think where I am is just wonderful?, 11 weeks chemo left, 35 rads are complete. Onc Rn says I have the best of her 5 peoples scans she reviewed today but this is very broad and more/less conversation as well know we and are own cancer is pretty individual and not all of her scans are lung cancer.

    I hope to understand more in next week mtg with Main Onc and the Rad Onc next week after. I have 5 questions to ask them, do you folks have any questions I am you think I should ask from your experience at this stage of the game?

    Dave

    50%!
    I would say a 50% reduction is more than pretty favorable, even with the stubborn lymph nodes ;-)
    My question would always be "What's next?", but I hope you won't be needing a next!
    Much luck, Deb
  • argos1019
    argos1019 Member Posts: 11
    Dapsterd said:

    Sugar for Mara
    It is not necessarily the sugar itself perse' it is the insulin producing effects of sugar...It is more complex than just cutting out a spoonful of sugar in your coffee and expecting your lung cancer to go away....there are no quick fixes to this cancer situation and I have read so much and there are equally opposing professional views on "everything" about cancer in general., let alone lung cancer. Stayingcalm has much wisdom here.
    Although I will coninue to eat a balanced diet as suggested, I will not throw all my cards at the "snakeoil" remedies (having said that...I am taking Essiac and I eat Kale quite often!!) but it is only supplementary to the medicinal lung cancer protocal treatment.

    Note, this is only my opinion, which does not mean much in the big picture.

    Ps.... I have a CT tomorrow.....we will see !!!!!!!!!

    Dave

    Dave
    Just to clarify:
    I was not suggesting that giving up a bit of sugar will save you from cancer. I was referring those who are interested to a book which is endorsed by the top cancer hospitals and specialists in the U.S.. The author is running a program at M.D. Anderson, which is the top ranked cancer center in America. This is not some hokey advice. Snakeoil is not recommended. Perhaps check out the website that I posted. For those who are interested in what they can do with diet and lifestyle to have an affect on their prognosis, this is a very well researched and well documented book filled with suggestions that have been so well proven that even the most traditional treatment centers are taking notice. The author suggests these changes in conjunction with traditional (chemotherapy/ radiation /surgery) treatment.

    I was responding to the original post.

    P.S. Congrats on the tumor reduction!